Sign in to follow this  
LMLM

ArmA 2 map in recent screenshot

As I said before the Czech special edition for ~55€ contains (aside from the game itself):

• Map
  • Paper figures
  • Soundtrack
  • T-shirt
  • Wallet
  • Backpack

[*]Paper figures

Grrreat.....

The rest seems good though.

Being nice doesn't mean it is valuable.

Compass, map, helmet - these are cool gadgets, but unless you've got collector's soul it's useless junk :-)

I would rather like to see things, that would get use at daily basis like ie. MOLLE backpack with arma2 logo on it, tent, patches, vest, binoculars, radio etc.

If I would have to choose, I would vote for a map (provided that it is of high quality and usefull for ingame navigation purposes). Simply because it would not be "useless junk" for playing the game like all the other "advertising gimmicks" (T-shirts, helmets, backpacks, etc.) that add little to the actual playing experience.

I always found it very immersive to be able to check landmarks ingame and compare them with a printed map of the ingame territory, or planning the co-op approach on a printed map...

All the other things are - in my opinion - apart from advertising purposes pretty useless... I won`t sit in front of my PC with my ArmA2-helmet, ArmA2-backpack, Arma2-teacup etc. ;)

Just out of interest, if i buy a czech version, can i install it in english too? Cause a relative from czech is frequently traveling between czech and germany, he can bring me this special version then maybe....

Because our greedy lame german publisher, i will never again support with my money and 505 games Special edition is not yet confirmed, isn't it?

hmm only one airport?

It always appeared to me that north-east of "Krasnostav" is a improvised short one - not a real airport but something for the rebels or so....:)

If there is an infinite procedural terrain, it will be off the map, so you will not be able to spawn units out there or navigate at all. Moreover it will be a vast expanse of nonsense terrain with no value except for pilots or what not to make southbound attacks on targets at the north most extent of the map. You will not be able to get to russia or see anything more exciting than infinite terrain in whatever form it takes.

It always appeared to me that north-east of "Krasnostav" is a improvised short one - not a real airport but something for the rebels or so....:)

Looks like there is a short airstrip west of Chernogorsk as well.

Looks like there is a short airstrip west of Chernogorsk as well.

ah yea, its in balota and i forgot that we get carriers this time! :)

I hope you can land on most fields like in Arma (maybe unrealistic, but still, a good pilot should be able to make it in real life too).

Funny descriptive names on the villages though:

Balota - Swamp

Kamarovo - Mosquito-ville

Pusta - Empty

The rest are a bit more normal:

Elektrozavodsk - Powerstation-town

Stary and Novy Sobor probably have some kind of church in them.

Why is the northwest end of the runway facing a mountain? The approach procedures for that field would be hellish ;)

Why is the northwest end of the runway facing a mountain? The approach procedures for that field would be hellish ;)

All adds the the excitement. :D

I wished there was an airport island off to the side hidden away somewhere..

it got confirmed by a german review, that there will be "infinite land" on the edges of the map, really nice.

traveling for a while into the "infinite lands" away from the normal map, you decided to turn back. After several minutes of running you realize it shouldn't take this long to get back on the normal map. You are still on the infinite lands. You tried to contact your teammates through the radio and a final sound resembling a voice was reduced into static. You type out to your teammate in caps. In a while your own text is echoed back in small letters.

You got worried and opened the map dragging down to where the normal map was suppose to be. It cannot be, the map is repeating itself. It was getting dark now and you have now lost your sense of direction as the surroundings in all directions looks confusingly identical without any distinctive features. Suddenly while you were scanning the horizon you notice a hazy feature that seems to be approaching you. You shouted and run towards it. The thing you saw seems to have heard you and is moving towards you now at a faster pace. It was then you heard the most horrible cry ever in your life and realize the thing that is coming towards you is no man but something else. Something you fear that will be your doom. You quickly aimed your rifle at the thing. Closing your eyes, you prayed. Praying that this isn't a bug.

~and that's what i think about the "infinite lands".

traveling for a while into the "infinite lands" away from the normal map, you decided to turn back. After several minutes of running you realize it shouldn't take this long to get back on the normal map. You are still on the infinite lands. You tried to contact your teammates through the radio and a final sound resembling a voice was reduced into static. You type out to your teammate in caps. In a while your own text is echoed back in small letters.

You got worried and opened the map dragging down to where the normal map was suppose to be. It cannot be, the map is repeating itself. It was getting dark now and you have now lost your sense of direction as the surroundings in all directions looks confusingly identical without any distinctive features. Suddenly while you were scanning the horizon you notice a hazy feature that seems to be approaching you. You shouted and run towards it. The thing you saw seems to have heard you and is moving towards you now at a faster pace. It was then you heard the most horrible cry ever in your life and realize the thing that is coming towards you is no man but something else. Something you fear that will be your doom. You quickly aimed your rifle at the thing. Closing your eyes, you prayed. Praying that this isn't a bug.

~and that's what i think about the "infinite lands".

esc/respawn is for when shit like that hits the fan.

Remember your training from Zelda 1. To get through the maze forest it was something like west, north, something...

At least it will be very easy to navigate back to the real area in an airplane or helo, just fly on a bearing of 1-8-0 and turn to 9-0 when you hit the ocean. Much better than just guessing where the map is, like in ArmA.

I wonder how they made the infinite lands beyond the north and western edges of the map... :confused:

What does it look like? How does the main map transition into infinity? What happens if I try and walk across the boundary?

Haha Blankko i thaught that sounded cool. Trying to give your men an order through the radio that are not in the loop landscapes will just give radio static... ZZzzCChhhCChhrrrhZZZ *bip bip*

Awesome. I like it. :)

About runway in wrong direction. I think the map is bigger than it seems. Things that look close to something is enhanced/enlarged so we can see it from this distance. I notice in Dyslecxi's video there seem to be an airfield he walks on and its BIG. I mean it feels real with loads of open space and forests around it. And then there is the screenshot from BIS with the civilian MI-8 wich seems to be another airport. What i mean is that they look proper in size compared to RL this time. Airfields look big!

:)

Alex

Remember your training from Zelda 1. To get through the maze forest it was something like west, north, something...

LOL, Zelda takes on ArmA II, an epic vision.

Here is the picture I spoke about earlier ripped from the PDF:

I think you've got a wrong map, maybe you know it maybe you not but I can't find it anywhere so I writing this message. Chernogorsk really exist but it has got over 70 000 people and it's too big for Armed Assault system. In fact Chernarus is north part of Czech Republic and I find this map on internet. The main town in Chernarus is Chernogorsk and on this map is the town Něštěmice.

chernarus_compare.jpg

Long abandoned thread revisited...

Did anyone tried to "venture" into the lands beyond the map border?

Long abandoned thread revisited...

Did anyone tried to "venture" into the lands beyond the map border?

Yep, that's old news. :p

It's random landscape that has no discernible features, it just goes on forever and ever and ever and ever... :)

Yeah, I've just took a look at there, but just like Major Rogers I didn't find the Northwest Passage :)

After a few minutes I actually tought the rest of Chernarus's land has been made, but unluckily no.

But there's a big landscape around South Zagoria which might be filled with roads, forests, farms, villages, cities, barracks, airbases...