Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Kimohboda, i hear ya! Altough i have gotten used to the way Freelook is implemented, i'm still in believe it's implemented "wrongly". In RL when walking around / moving ro even driving around, the point you are looking at as the direction you will most likely end up in. I think we all know the example that is given with the car and trying to avoid the tree, don't look at the point where you don't want to go (tree) but where you do want to go.

Ingame however you look where you are going, the other way around. I've posted some time ago some stuff about "next gen floating zone / freeaim / freelook". My toughts in short are that the body should starting to turn when looking more then a certain angle of the main direction. The transition to turning should be smooth.

Might be a bit confusing as it's hard to explain what's going on, see posts for more information.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1270464&postcount=1

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1270882&postcount=10

Tap your "center" key to confirm your looking the same way as your moving.

Is there a way to "center" the Trarck IR the other way round? Can you configure a key to make your body turn to where you look? I think this would make the orientation much easier.

Does this product only work for these two games?

What version of the TrackIR software are you running? (Look under "About TrackIR...")

Do you have the TrackClip PRO selected as the tracking target in the TrackIR software?

Have you run a games update in the TrackIR software?

Do you have TrackIR enabled in ArmA 2?

Actually i have 2 problems.

I tried the Beta 04 and 05, tracking went well during setup. When i started the game it didn't work ( no blue LED ).

I have the Track Clip Pro selected, it didn't work without it.

Arma 1 and 2 were listed, i guess it was up to date.

Yes, i had my Track IR System working with the 4.1.xxx software without any problems except it somethimes shook some times independant of the way i look and the lighting. Sometimes it worked smoothly then again ( mapswitch ) it shook ( like when you move your head as far left or right as far as possible and move it the center and far left or right again in a rapid motion ) so hard i got a headache.

The system worked. I tried it with the 4.xx and 5.xx software seperatly and with both installed ( of course not running both at the same time ). Only the 4.xx worked.

I still don't know why i have this shaking bug though. When XFire works with A2 i will share a video feed so you see what i mean. I'm not the only one with the same problem, at least that's what i saw in the TrackIR forums.

Kimohboda, i hear ya! Altough i have gotten used to the way Freelook is implemented, i'm still in believe it's implemented "wrongly". In RL when walking around / moving ro even driving around, the point you are looking at as the direction you will most likely end up in. I think we all know the example that is given with the car and trying to avoid the tree, don't look at the point where you don't want to go (tree) but where you do want to go.

Ingame however you look where you are going, the other way around. I've posted some time ago some stuff about "next gen floating zone / freeaim / freelook". My toughts in short are that the body should starting to turn when looking more then a certain angle of the main direction. The transition to turning should be smooth.

Might be a bit confusing as it's hard to explain what's going on, see posts for more information.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1270464&postcount=1

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1270882&postcount=10

You'll know that your body is lined up because of the closure with the area or object you are looking at. The moment you stop having to track with your head will be the moment your body if aligned to your head.

What you need to do is learn 'mouse follow head' until it becomes muscle memory. That way you will do it without thinking about it, unless you want to override the action. Any kind of automatic method will feel false.

Actually i have 2 problems.

I tried the Beta 04 and 05, tracking went well during setup. When i started the game it didn't work ( no blue LED ).

Check this thread: TrackIR 5 beta 05 software does have a bug (this particular issue can be fixed by reverting to beta 04):

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=80433&highlight=trackir&page=2

Perhaps this is your issue too?

Edited by Ollem

I am considering the purchase of a TrackIR 5 bundled with the clip. It is my understanding that this clip was designed to be attached to a set of headphones. I would like some advice on a good set of headphones (within reason, I am not paying 200 dollars for them) that works with the clip.

I have had bad luck with headphones lately and I am tired of it. I would like a nice pair that works with this clip, is comfortable, adjustable, and will last a while.

I'm using TrackIR with a 5.1 Medusa headset too. I do have the 2009-model "Medusa 5.1 NX Gaming headset"

No problems here either: clip fits.

I'm quite happy with the headset too. Don't expect the same directional surround you get from speakers, but it really does a great job letting you know if sound is left, right, front or rear. Sound quality is good, at least for games.

I'm using it in combination with a Creative X-Fi 5.1 sound card.

review: http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/headsets/speedlink-medusa-nx/1/

(Only thing I'm missing is a mike-mute-button: if you need to mute you'll have to use the on-off button or use mute feature of e.g. Team Speak).

Edited by Ollem

I bought the track clip but ended up just using a hat with the normal clip and my 5.1 surround since my man-cave is my basement anyway.

I have a set of sennheiser headphones but I had issues getting the trackclip adjusted right so I quit using it. That was the first day or 2 of having the trackir though.

Note that the clip fit the headphones perfectly. The adjustment issues were software related.

My sennheisers are HD 555. They were much higher when I got them but they are really affordable now and SUPER nice with GREAT sound. If your going to use headphones you cant go wrong.

I use a desk mic.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD555-HD-555-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVDQ

reviews

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-hd555/4505-7877_7-30822851.html

Edited by ICE-Raver

I bought the track clip but ended up just using a hat with the normal clip...

What is the "normal clip"?

How does it compare with the TrackClip Pro? Is it just as good?

Yes it is just as good, It works exactly the same except it goes on a hat instead of being clipped on headphones.

It's not nearly as fancy by any means but it works perfectly.

If you don't mind wearing a hat while gaming (I don't) and aren't wearing headphones (I play on surround sound) then you can't beat it.

It comes with the track ir. I only got the headphone clip because I bought a kit off ebay and it came with it.

I am considering the purchase of a TrackIR 5 bundled with the clip. It is my understanding that this clip was designed to be attached to a set of headphones. I would like some advice on a good set of headphones (within reason, I am not paying 200 dollars for them) that works with the clip.

I have had bad luck with headphones lately and I am tired of it. I would like a nice pair that works with this clip, is comfortable, adjustable, and will last a while.

The Tritton AX360's are rather nice. I forget I even have them on.

True 5.1 Digital Audio Headset

Dolby Digital and Dolby Prologic Certified

Digital audio connection for DVD, PC, PS2, XBOX, XBOX360, and all other gaming consoles with digital audio output

8 speakers, 4 in each ear cup

In-line volume adjustment for Front, Center, Rear and vibration controls

Includes external 5.1 audio controller or can connect with any 5.1 amplifier

Removable microphone, XBOX live compatible and PC gamers

Light weight and ergonomically designed for comfort and quality to last for extended periods of time

Those look nice. How comfortable are they?

I'm using the Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headset about 3 years.

The 3d sounds and quality are pretty good,

but i can't compare with other headsets, because this one is the first

real headset i bought.

They are also very comfortable on your head.

I can play arma the whole night long, without upsetting my neighbours.

not read all 65 pages so sorry if this has been asked before, but any1 that got an profile that workes good with arma2, i just cant get one that works ok for both air and ground, air works ok, but when im on the ground i just wanna throw it out the window.

would love a link to any profile that any1 here uses to test.

I'm using the Medusa 5.1 Surround Sound Headset about 3 years.

The 3d sounds and quality are pretty good,

but i can't compare with other headsets, because this one is the first

real headset i bought.

They are also very comfortable on your head.

I can play arma the whole night long, without upsetting my neighbours.

not read all 65 pages so sorry if this has been asked before, but any1 that got an profile that workes good with arma2, i just cant get one that works ok for both air and ground, air works ok, but when im on the ground i just wanna throw it out the window.

would love a link to any profile that any1 here uses to test.

*ehm*

Offtopic

*ehm*

@ Swedda

Try smooth as a reference and modify it to have fine movements in the center of your head movement and turn progressive when you get to about 50% of your max. head turn. This way you don't have to strain your neck.

I loved my early version of the Medusas. But it crapped out on me last year. Need to order the newer Medusa 5.1s. As well, this new TrackIR 5 is going on my Xmas list.

I will take points as I remember them.

First, Guys have you got the new drivers 5.05Bets that was posted yesterday? I am using them at the moment and they are running fine in AMA2 and my other games.

As for the auto turning, in real life you can look in one direction and move in another. You have to make the choice whether to turn on not, you do not turn automatically. We do it so often it seems to be a reflex.

I do not think the talk about headsets is off topic as long it has to do with the TrackClip Pro. I have tried a good few over the years Medusa, Zalman, a couple of Sennhiesiers and both eDimansional headsets. To my annoyance the TrackClip Pro does not work with my Grado's.

I have a fast, linear profile that does not have a forward dead zone. I do not like dead zones or where your head movement slows when you are reaching the dead zone. So I use a straight line though I do not have to look too far for full range in-game. Send me a PM if you would like to try it, I warn you it is fast.

Well, it is a TrackIr in ArmA 2 thread and not a headsest thread... :D

Are you using the TrackIR 5 oder the TrackIR 4 with the new software?

I might try out the new software with my TrackIR 4 but i don't expect any improvements to begin with. I was hoping to get rid of the head shaking bug that suddenly occurs from time to time independant of the environment. ( it does happen to disappear when i switch tasks and change the light filter and/or dot tracking settings ...or not. I still hope it's not broken for some unknown reason, i did break the neck of the bracket when it fell off the LCD. But i checked the internals and they were all fine afaik. No dust etc. Could it just be aging?

Edit:

Loaded the newest software, runs in game. Still the same bug though. I'm starting to freak out...

I've uploaded a video to show what i happen to see.

This time it's the pitch axis. Most of the time it's yaw.

Edited by Enforcer1975

I am using a TIR5 with driver 5.0-Beta05B that was posted yesterday (which works). After watching your video it looks as if your camera might be losing track at the edges.

Maybe your repair altered the geometry a little, I know the math is pretty tight (I would fire an email off to support@NaturalPoint.com explaining what is happening and a link to your video.)