Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

I bought trackir and trackclipro for me and my gf but the trackclippro gave the big change !! realy that is 100% better than the hat

we just love it !!

just throwing in my 2 cents...

Myself, I'm just getting back into PC gaming. I gave up on the hassle of configuring my computer all the time and joined 360 world years ago until recently when I saw Arma2 in the works. Now I'm back...

I still have the original Track IR 1. In fact I just tried getting it to work on Windows 7, but I can't get the drivers to work. The original came with little round reflective foil looking dots that you'd stick to a hat, forehead, ect. I still have a box of those :)

Anyway, I can't speak for the newer versions YET (I just ordered one a min ago), but I can vouch for the original (we are talking 7-8? years old technology).

If you do any type of flying or driving then this is a must have.

I used to play WW2online and IL-2 all the time and if you DIDN'T have a TrackIR you would just get mopped up.

It is one thing if your playing a generic arcade shooter where you get to respawn all the time after you die, but when your playing a simulation FPS or Flight Simulator you generally spend more time *getting to the action* versus *in the action*....

...so you need every advantage you can get to stay alive.

Anyway...my setup now is in front of a 46" samsung tv which I sit about 5-7ft away so hopefully this will work?!

The only buyer beware I'd say in this case is that your game might take some performance hit which many of you might be on the fence about right now. Is this true to the newer versions TrackIR4 or TrackIR5? Back in the days I know I had to drop a resolution or two....how about now?

I'll post my experience with the new TrackIR5 vs original TrackIR when I get it in a few weeks.

At least now I don't have to use the dorky dots on my head :)

kwhy

Any Aussies or Kiwis know a good place to pick one of these up for a good price?

Hi I got mine from the US via a mob called yogi-computers. Cost off the invoice:

Found him on ebay - cheapest I could find for the pro. Paid via paypal. Came quick and in good nick.

TrackIR 5 Pro & TrackClip Pro Optical Track System NEW

From amount $240.84 AUD

To amount $189.98 USD

Exchange rate: 1 AUD = 0.788822 USD

That includes postage. Aussie mobs are anything up to $399 for the pro.

Piesy001

And yes that is my first post in 2 years of lurking :) The trackir5 is that good.

Edited by Piesy001

Im also guilty of trying to look round in youtube videos hehe, cant do without mine either now feel really restricted when playing without it!

Yes trackIR brings immersion to the gaming experience, you "feel" actually in the game scene - thats a must have stuff imo. :cool:

The only buyer beware I'd say in this case is that your game might take some performance hit which many of you might be on the fence about right now. Is this true to the newer versions TrackIR4 or TrackIR5? Back in the days I know I had to drop a resolution or two....how about now?

Shouldn't see any real performance hit these days - certainly nothing to require a resolution change.

I'll post my experience with the new TrackIR5 vs original TrackIR when I get it in a few weeks.

Man, are you in for a surprise. :)

The 2DOF vs 6DOF tracking alone is a huuuuge difference in how it feels. Everything else is icing on top of that.

I am going to buy one of these as soon as I can. Unfortunately I don't own a credit card so I'm unable to buy off the net. It's a shame dedicated game/computer shops in Australia don't seem to ever stock them.. I asked the guys at EB games if they had ever sold TrackIR and they said had never even heard of it.

:( I'll find a way

Edited by Joseph Troska

I'm tempted to spend the money on one of these, but the few sims I play at the moment (LOMAC, GTR 2, LFS, and soon ArmA2) might not justify the price.

Just got my trackir in the mail today. The package was smashed because UPS sucks, but it still worked. Works 10000x better than freetrack and is definitely worth the money.

EDIT: I bought the bundle with the track clip pro and the trackir 5, but it also came with one of the things that goes on a hat.

I have 2 questions.

One is, I have logitech g35 headphones. Will the trackclip pro fit okay?

And two...While this looks like a great device, its hard to justify buying it for ONE game, as I don't really play flight sims.

Any possibility that it will start being supported by more games?

For instance I would love to see this in games like Crysis, Brothers in Arms, Far Cry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ect.

Any possibility that it will start being supported by more games?

For instance I would love to see this in games like Crysis, Brothers in Arms, Far Cry, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ect.

It's only good for games which have free-look, or a way of turning your head independent of where your gun is pointing. Theoretically if you were to use it in crysis, everywhere you turn your head the gun would follow. No fun.

It's only good for games which have free-look, or a way of turning your head independent of where your gun is pointing. Theoretically if you were to use it in crysis, everywhere you turn your head the gun would follow. No fun.

Indeed, but what I mean is will natural point be approaching devs to expand the amount of games that use this function or have it patched in?

In games like crysis and brothers in arms, your full character is modeled, and so putting free look wouldn't be that hard.

It would also increase sales of this device 10 fold if it were even to get a few big games like that under its belt. It sure would make dropping 200 on it a lot easier. I would have already bought it if it supported some more games. But right now I am waiting to see if I can gauge how long I will be playing Arma 2.

One is, I have logitech g35 headphones. Will the trackclip pro fit okay?

As far as I can tell from looking at pictures, yeah, it should.

Indeed, but what I mean is will natural point be approaching devs to expand the amount of games that use this function or have it patched in?

I'm sure they're doing all they can to be supported by as many games as possible. :)

The package was smashed because UPS sucks, but it still worked.

Hehe i got my package smashed too. :p

I am going to buy one of these as soon as I can. Unfortunately I don't own a credit card so I'm unable to buy off the net. It's a shame dedicated game/computer shops in Australia don't seem to ever stock them.. I asked the guys at EB games if they had ever sold TrackIR and they said had never even heard of it.

:( I'll find a way

Try this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=284

They are in Victoria, Australia

I have just got one from them, quick shipping and you can choose direct bank deposit as payment method since credit card incurrs 2% surcharge.

I'm tempted to spend the money on one of these, but the few sims I play at the moment (LOMAC, GTR 2, LFS, and soon ArmA2) might not justify the price.

The games you just mentioned are a perfect match for a trackir.

I bought the trackir(4) mainly for flightsims and now i cant fly without it ever again, just think about all the buttons you use for view left/right/up/down, padlock and instruments, all those are gone, all it takes is moving your head a fraction and it feels so natural. Dogfights is a chapter on its own, just imagine that you can keep an eye on the target at all times, again it feels natural as it should be.

As for racingsims its not as crucial as with flightsims, but after i got the settings right its very nice. The trick for me was to lower the sensetivities quite a lot. key points for me is ability to look into the corners, look to the sides if someone is trying to pass, look left/right when leaving pit garage and so on. Of course this is achivable with buttons but you lose the analoge feeling and its easier to loose focus that way.

In Arma 1/2 for me it was most beneficial when in a heli/plane/car at first but slowly im getting more used to it on foot as well. Again it feels very natural to just look around instead of running sideways to glance around.

I use Trackir for Dcs Black shark, rFactor and Arma2 atm and for just those games/sims i think its worth the price, definetly :)

I already used my TrackIr 4 with software TrackIR_5.0.beta.04 working and it works fine when i can run the program. The problem is that sometimes when i want to start the TrackIR v5, it open the window and pop ups an error message and then i'm not able use the TrackIr with version 5.0.beta.04.

The error persists even when i do PC restart.

I have Win XP pro SP2 with TrackIr 4 + Clip with the following software installed

• 1 - TrackIR_4.1.037.Final.exe
    2 - TrackIR_5.0.beta.01.exe

Most of the time when i want to run the TrackIr 5 (TrackIR v5) i get an error message and I'm unable to play with it ingame or set new configurations.

Does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

What is the error message?

The error i get is this one:

TrackIr_bug_00_s.jpg

Does this error might have to do with the AVG (anti virus) firewall protection, dunno why but I suspect it affects TrackIr somehow.

Does the firewall software have TrackIR set as an allowable software application?

latest version of Direct X, and video card drivers installed?

Camera connected directly to the PC, no hub?

Does the firewall software have TrackIR set as an allowable software application?

I can't create such detailed profile.

Though i think i have to unselect the option "Enable gaming mode" (*)

latest version of Direct X, and video card drivers installed?

DirectX 2009, i had to install the new version to run ArmA2 Demo.

Camera connected directly to the PC, no hub?
TrackIr is directly connected to the mother board USB.

EDIT: (*) though sometimes when i do it, it still does not work when i desire. :s

Edited by bravo 6

Just got the " Your Item is on B/O " msg today, sigh:mad:

I'll be bugging you cats for tips when it finally arrives after 07/16.

Just opened TrackIr and had the error. The trdb.log file you refered have the following info inside:

Code Exactly as it is:

[07/02/2009 02:22:54:359] 0xf60: Begin TrackIR...
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:359] 0xf60: Creating TrackIR application instance...
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:359] 0xf60: Detected Operating System : XP_32
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:359] 0xf60: Loading Application Settings...
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:390] 0xf60: Application Settings loaded.
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:390] 0xf60: Loading Profiles...
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:406] 0xf60: Profiles Loaded.
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:421] 0xf60: Loading Game List...
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:453] 0xf60: Game List Loaded.
[07/02/2009 02:22:54:453] 0xf60: Creating Main display...
[07/02/2009 02:22:55:656] 0xf60: Main display created.
[07/02/2009 02:22:55:656] 0xf60: Initializing 3D view...
[07/02/2009 02:22:55:656] 0xf60: OpenGL Version  : 2.1.8494 Release
[07/02/2009 02:22:55:656] 0xf60: OpenGL Renderer : Radeon X1950 Pro
[07/02/2009 02:22:55:656] 0xf60: OpenGL Vendor   : ATI Technologies Inc.

You think it will be any useful? Looks like very little information, thats why i posted the respective code.

Is the protrack thing required or do I still get all the features with the hatclip that comes with it? I don't use headphones and it looks like that's the only reason for the proclip but I want to confirm before I buy. Also does anyone know a goog jewelry site? I may need backup after blowing 150 on one of these things and flowers may not do the trick