Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Not really practical for consoles for the reason Dslyecxi mentioned above, namely the distance most people sit from the screen. With a PC you're normally quite close (2-3 ft). With a console it can often be much further which means the resolution of the Track IR would need to be much higher than current.

I have a question - The one thing that bugged me in Arma1 with regard to TrackIR was that when you used your ironsight, your head movement was still active and because of the zoom factor associated with that, the smallest movement would often throw my aim off. As a semi-workaround, I had to bind my 'precision' key for TrackIR to the same key I used for stabilise/hold breath. This helped to a degree but still wasn't ideal.

Anyway, my question is: can this be remedied in Arma2 itself? Even better, does the new software give the option for a hotkey bind to disable/enable multiple axes on the fly? I begged and pleaded on the Naturalpoint forum for them to add this in a future software release. Just curious to know if it's possible.

Interesting. I don't use the zoom axis in ArmA/2, so I've never run into this as an issue. I don't know if it has changed in any A2, sorry. Regarding the keybind issue - I don't know about that, but the TIR5 software can be downloaded and used with TIR4, so you could check and see if it does what you want. If not, since they're still working on TIR5 software, you could stand a better chance of getting that feature added now on request.

In US trackir costs 160USD or so then, in europe I got an offer for 156EUR...

In US trackir costs 160USD or so then, in europe I got an offer for 156EUR...

That's why i'm hoping Arma 2 will support FreeTrack :D

In Slovenia TrackIR5 is sold for 159,95 EUR, same as in German I believe. Skinner: can you share the info?

In Slovenia TrackIR5 is sold for 159,95 EUR, same as in German I believe. Skinner: can you share the info?

If i find the time today i will write a small tutorial in this thread http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72510 how the get the features of TrackIR for less than 50€.:D

So its important that you people support the idea of Free Track support in ArmA2, not everybody can spend more then 160€ for a gadget. For those people there is a solution called Free Track it needs some individual initiative but it works and it is worth a try.

I think if trackir works there should be freetrack possible :)

see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72510

@ IceBreakr:

The most expensive thing you need for Free Track is a webcam (30 fps) or better a original Wii Remote Controller (100 fps). --> 35 $.

I have chosen the Wii Remote Controller for which you also need a Bluetooth Dongle. --> 10 $

Then you need a cap and three IR diodes and resistors. --> 4 $.

After some (very easy) handicraft work (), you have your own FreeTrack:

Edited by Placebo
Link removed due to ArmA2 crack sharing on that site.

Interesting. I don't use the zoom axis in ArmA/2, so I've never run into this as an issue. I don't know if it has changed in any A2, sorry. Regarding the keybind issue - I don't know about that, but the TIR5 software can be downloaded and used with TIR4, so you could check and see if it does what you want. If not, since they're still working on TIR5 software, you could stand a better chance of getting that feature added now on request.

Hi again,

I think you mistunderstand what I'm saying here but I don't blame you - maybe I didn't explain too well. :p Let me try and be clearer.

I'm talking strictly from an infantry point of view here and don't get me wrong - TrackIR in this game is brilliant. It's just this one issue I wish I could sort out.

I don't use the zoom axis either - anywhere in the game. I do use a linear profile for TrackIR in arma. In other words there is no central deadzone where my trackIR "snaps" back to center. That feels unnatural to me and by the look of your video, you don't appear to use a deadzone either. Everything is perfect until I want to aim using ACOG or ironsights. Essentially when I use my ironsight, ie. when I bring my rifle up to aim, the game seems to use a slightly zoomed field of view by default. In my mind my head should snap to the rifle center screen so that I can do just that - aim precisely. At this point in time I no longer want to be turning my head. My rifle should stay center screen and follow my mouse movement. What happens though, is that I'm still able to look around with my head and the slightest bit of movement, be it head movement or an attempt to lean, sends my ironsight all over the show.

The logical solution would be to use the 'pause trackIR' hotkey but that would defeat the purpose of having the ability to aim and lean incrementally as you demonstrated so well in the vid.

The only time (in my opinion) it works as it should is when using a scoped sniper rifle. Your vision is locked to the scope. Basically the game temporarily disables x and y axes yet you retain the ability to lean. Imagine if when you looked through your scope, any head movement from your TIR unit made you look around the scope peripherally. It would be a disaster. This is what I experience when using a standard ACOG/ironsight.

Wow....I think I'm getting a little long-winded in trying to explain this. Anyway, I'll download the new software and give it a try. Maybe I'll find a gem.

ok for everyone posting anything related to alternative(s) to TrackIR please do it inside FreeTrack thread ...

keep this thread related to TrackIR feedback and discussion

thanks

see http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72510

@ IceBreakr:

http://www.free-track.net/english/

The most expensive thing you need for Free Track is a webcam (30 fps) or better a original Wii Remote Controller (100 fps). --> 35 $.

I have chosen the Wii Remote Controller for which you also need a Bluetooth Dongle. --> 10 $

Then you need a cap and three IR diodes and resistors. --> 4 $.

After some (very easy) handicraft work (see the forum on free-track.net), you have your own FreeTrack:

Hmm... OK. My point was that that is America man. Here, in Europe, we pay double for all of this. Even prices in germany are lower for like 10% then other, smaller EU countries, its still double.

Can anyone send me TrackIR from US? Apparently official dealer is shit. (Joke). I refuse to pay even 20EUR just to play a computer game better. Its not that Im gonna make money with it or train to be a hitman.

BUT, if anyone likes a gadget (its pretty cool though) for 160EUR to kick ass in MP :), go ahead.

Col.Flanders, I actually like being able to check my six with ironsights and the ACOG scope. I wished it would do it on fixed scopes also.

But I see what your wanting. Maybe one of us can stumble on a fix for you.

My tIR5 arrived lastnight, I spent about an hr trying to set it up, heaps of weirdness happening in Arma like when I lean too far i end up basically snapping in half at my hips, when I turn right I zoom in full, im using track clip pro, lets just say it didnt work quite as well as in the video (im sure i just need to fiddle around a bit more though).

It works fine in the trackIR 3d veiwer but its completely screwed in Arma atm.

@dyslexi: could you provide your config that you used in the video if thats ok?, is there more configuration needed in Arma; controls?

My tIR5 arrived lastnight, I spent about an hr trying to set it up, heaps of weirdness happening in Arma like when I lean too far i end up basically snapping in half at my hips, when I turn right I zoom in full, im using track clip pro, lets just say it didnt work quite as well as in the video (im sure i just need to fiddle around a bit more though).

@dyslexi: could you provide your config that you used in the video if thats ok?, is there more configuration needed in Arma; controls?

Ensure that you have it set up as a TrackClip Pro and not as a TrackClip. That could cause such behavior. You can see the options on the TIR software, below the TrackIR image, where it says "Tracking Target" - select the bottom one, the "TrackClipPro".

The 'snapping in half' thing is a known issue, it's simply a problem with how leans are limited currently. Should be fixed 'soon', I know BIS/NP are aware of it. You can avoid it simply by not trying to lean further than normal (which will be more confusing to you for now, since you don't know how far 'normal' was before).

I don't have a custom config right now - the one I used in the video was the normal profile ,at a 'speed' setting of 1.6. I haven't tweaked it beyond that yet.

lets just say it didnt work quite as well as in the video (im sure i just need to fiddle around a bit more though).

Have you forgotten that dyslexi was using ArmA2?

He also said that BIS improved how TrackIr works in ArmA2, 00:02:40 time in the new video.

ok, thanks dyslexi, ill check that out when i get home.

Hi all

Received my track IR 5 Pro yesterday and wanted to give some first impressions. I have not had a chance to put it through all of its paces but so far Im very impressed. I bought the clip and was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to install. Its important to make sure the reflectors are mounted correctly as it will have you moving in strange ways if you dont. The software is very good and much easier to figure out. Its also important to make sure you have the right reflector (hat versus clip) selected in the software as well. One of the best features for me is the cables to the sensor and clip are very long so I can configure my desk top to suit my needs.

The sensor is mounted on a magnet which easily detaches and allows for many variations. Software can only be obtained via download so dont expect a disk in the box. Installation was quick and smooth and it picked up my sensor immediately.

I didnt have to do any adjustments to get into Arma and it worked beautifully the first time. The 6DOF seem to work much better and much quicker with the new setup and I can pan and look quickly. You can also hot key to slow your track motion down for fine adjustments.

So far Im completely satisfied with the TIR5 and to top it off I received a nice card from Seth at NP who let me know I was the first person in the world to purchase this. TIR is a must for Arma and I cant wait to use it in ArmaII.

First of all congratulations gunterlund21.

Could you show us how you attached the sensor to your monitor?

Did you use another TrackIR before? And how easy do you get used to running/driving/flying in one direction and looking in another? Is it not slightly disorientating?

Thanks in advance.

Hi all

Received my track IR 5 Pro yesterday and wanted to give some first impressions. I have not had a chance to put it through all of its paces but so far Im very impressed. I bought the clip and was pleasantly surprised to see how easy it was to install. Its important to make sure the reflectors are mounted correctly as it will have you moving in strange ways if you dont. The software is very good and much easier to figure out. Its also important to make sure you have the right reflector (hat versus clip) selected in the software as well. One of the best features for me is the cables to the sensor and clip are very long so I can configure my desk top to suit my needs.

The sensor is mounted on a magnet which easily detaches and allows for many variations. Software can only be obtained via download so dont expect a disk in the box. Installation was quick and smooth and it picked up my sensor immediately.

I didnt have to do any adjustments to get into Arma and it worked beautifully the first time. The 6DOF seem to work much better and much quicker with the new setup and I can pan and look quickly. You can also hot key to slow your track motion down for fine adjustments.

So far Im completely satisfied with the TIR5 and to top it off I received a nice card from Seth at NP who let me know I was the first person in the world to purchase this. TIR is a must for Arma and I cant wait to use it in ArmaII.

I can totally sign this too. Ordered my TrackIR 5 with pro clip on monday, received it today. (And on top of that UPS did not screw up + fast transfer from US to finland) I tried little bit arma and I am blown away, why did I not buy this earlier? :bounce3:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/06-support/support-download-software-and-manuals.html

New beta drivers out. Should fix a possible performance issue where the software would maximize when launching a supported game. Other changes are:

5.0 beta 02

(Posted May 5, 2009)

# Changes Added modifier keys for Hotkeys (CTRL+, etc.)

# Improved tracking, centering and reduced axis crosstalk

# Improved default smoothing settings

# Fixed TrackIR 4 IR LEDs not turning off when using a TrackClip Pro

# Fixed scrolling issues with profile graph zooming

# Fixed unwanted resizing of settings panel

# Fixed interface issues with higher DPI settings

# Fixed unwanted application maximizing on game start

# Disabled loading 4.x profiles since they aren't compatible

# Updated default profiles to enable roll axis

Btw Dslyecxi, your fantastic youtube demostration of ARMA II and TrackIR 5 persuaded me to get mine. Can't wait for release :D

Share your drugs, wanna have the same dream :drinking:

Sure, just stay up till 4am and write in sqf... every night .. for at least a fourthnight... then the visuals should happen the first time, if not then at least weird dreams, anyway keep going till it comes... or wanking and the drop command in union work very well...

:t:mjam, mjam,, mjam ... hehe always wanted to use that one

Great idea,but...what I want to see(I know,its quiet late..) is control your stance with it.

I dont mean crouching,but something between crouch and stand,I think this will give players more realistic feeling from game,and also tactics :)

I hope this will be in game,if not...then what about some DLC for loyal community?;-)

Mmh... play the whole game standing? Or something inbetween? .. no seriously, would be cool, if you kinda 'duck' infront of the screen the character does the same, could be helpful avoiding the occasional shrapnel, or if shooting from behind something like a trench,wall sandbags whatever ..

Something like this guy?! would be a cool addition ...

3777nl6.th.jpg

Edited by PhilippRauch

First of all congratulations gunterlund21.

Could you show us how you attached the sensor to your monitor?

Did you use another TrackIR before? And how easy do you get used to running/driving/flying in one direction and looking in another? Is it not slightly disorientating?

Thanks in advance.

the sensor has a small set of legs that can be moved. When positioned the sensor sits right on top of your monitor. The instructions recommend it being on the left side of the monitor with the clip as the clip is on your left ear. The software has a screen in it that allows you to align the sensor with the reflectors. I had the TIR4 before and I got to the point where I cant play Arma without it. It definitely gives you an advantage in firefights as your situational awareness goes way up wearing it because you can look around and not expose yourself to fire. Its an absolute must for flying and I also use it with vehicles especially when you driving a tank turned out.