Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

The cat's out of the bag now.

NaturalPoints' website is really slow atm. Must be quite a few people who've seen the vid or read the article and gone for a look-see ;)

P

Hell, the amount of traffic I was getting for the direct-download video was enough to get that directory of my site disabled temporarily. I've never had that happen before. Pretty crazy amount of interest.

Serves you right teasing us all like that!

Hmmm, TIR4/TCP & new software giving me Z axis movement atm, too much to play Arma with anyway. Guess I need to play with it a bit, or wait for the next iteration. Looks nice though and seems much more stable. Ever since version 4.1.035 TIR software has crashed often when I close the tracking or heads windows in XP Pro, Vista x64 and Win7 x64.

Although it looks amazing to use a TIR5+TCpro and contains a whole lot of uses, it's way too expensive considering I also need to pay import tax and VAT if I buy one. $189,90 + Import (10,7%) + VAT (25% - added after import is added to the cost) roughly €197/$263/1720 NOK on my part).

well, since you're going for NOK at the end, how about buying from a norwegian shop? ( http://www.flightsim.no/shop/ ), you'll get it there for 1298 + 120,- in postage ( nok ) ;)

Looks good, but for the moment, i'll stick with my tir 4 with proclip, works like a charm ( to bad not more games support iy (yet) )

Ill throw in a few minor complaints as well. 6 dof support in planes etc would have been nice, though I understand that the developers must manage to make the fighter sights paralax-free first.

Something that would have been very cool would have been a incremental height motion for the crouched mode. So you could peak up from cover and blast the enemy away :D

Edited by sparks50

Something that would have been very cool would have been a incremental height motion for the crouched mode. So you could peak up from cover and blast the enemy away

Yep, "vertical leaning" would have been great. The ability to adjust the height up or down in each stance would have allowed to use a lot more objects and terrain features as cover, respectively shoot over cover. Perhaps this can still be added later.

To ask about the performance on your system:

How many frames did you get when not recording fraps on 1280x720 ?

Is 1280x720 the highest resolution that your LCD support? What happens with fps if you try 1680x1050, which is common resolution for 22inch LCDs?

Is 1280x720 the highest resolution that your LCD support? What happens with fps if you try 1680x1050, which is common resolution for 22inch LCDs?

1280x720 is the highest Youtube HD goes, afaik, and is the best res to capture in for such purposes. I run otherwise at 1920x1080 and it performs well.

I'm sure most of you guys are wondering how the game will run on your computer. Which is a totally normal question.

Maybe this could help you out:

IGN Hands-On 20th April 2009

...And the good news is that it ran well at very high detail settings with an 8800GTX, which is practically a mid-range graphics card now.

And that's based on a Preview Build. I'm sure the final version will be even better. I think BI really optimised this game to scale well on a large variety of PC (Well, hopefully! :cool: )

I also have a huge A2-related project that I'm working on which takes priority. I suppose it depends mostly on how quickly I can get said project finished. :)

As long as it is an A2-related project then i am happy :p

Thanks for the video and for being patient about providing info on system specs and the fact that it is a newer A2 build. :ok:

Hey Dslyecxi

Can you make another video more like the teaser video that you posted with music. That was a awsome teaser, and if you have the autherization to make a another video with music please do so.

Also btw you made me purchase a trackir5 with that info video you posted.!!:yay:

Thanks Dslyecxi

Simply amazing video, next drill pay I might pick up TrackIR5 using your coupon.

Once I pick up another part time job this summer after this semester of college I'll probably get one. Arma2 can't just be another game. It's gotta be an experience this time around.

However, I also have a huge A2-related project that I'm working on which takes priority

What project? :)

Dslyecxi

one little question if you can answer.

I noticed a "little Leg Swing" over a picket fence that needed painting!

A key push or auto move?

PS: I noticed everybody commenting about advertising for Track IR but in my aged opinion it is definitely an asset to Arma 2's future also. Nice job and a thank you to BIA for allowing you to post this.

One thing i noticed in this video (at 6:40) is that the weapon while walking still have this jumping up and left to right kinda sway thing. Dont know if that is present when the weapon is relaxed only or if it would "jump" left to right when aiming as well? It's in ARMA1 and it isnt really realistic while aiming. You can control that in real life but no chance in ARMA1. This is what ACE eliminated for better aiming when walking.

Dont wanna be negative here as it all looks fantastic. Just that one detail i hoped was also made a bit better like most other details seems to be, and for all i know - it might be better when actually aiming plus walking. Hoping.

Regards

Alex

However i have to admit that that whole video appears to me like some sort of pure advertising show for Track-IR.

Ya think thats why he named the video and this thread with titles like

TrackIR 5 Premiered in ArmA2

TrackIR 5 & ArmA2 Premiere

Lol, i thought this was more to demonstrate a bit about Arma2, like it was advertised before as a big "event" or "surprise" for the community (at least i got it like this )

From the 1st picture he showed, I seen the new TrackIR device on his monitor (side leds gave it away), maybe you would have noticed it if you had one also.

Let me guess......he threw you off with the image on the monitor?

Yup, he knows how to advertise.

Nice vid! And nice to hear that TIR5 software will work with older models too. I guess I'll keep my newly purchased TIR4

Alex[Dev]72: Ledsen Alex, du får skaffa en egen! :D

DslyecxiI noticed a "little Leg Swing" over a picket fence that needed painting!

A key push or auto move?

I can answer that: Key push. Can't remember the source- I think a preview said it was the 'v' key IIRC.

What project?

It's ArmA2 related. You'll see. :)

one little question if you can answer.

I noticed a "little Leg Swing" over a picket fence that needed painting!

A key push or auto move?

It's a keypress. I have mine bound to ctrl + stanceUp, since that seems like a logical way to do it.

PS: I noticed everybody commenting about advertising for Track IR but in my aged opinion it is definitely an asset to Arma 2's future also. Nice job and a thank you to BIS for allowing you to post this.

There's always someone out there who will find something to complain about. It's in their nature. It's no big surprise when you see certain names playing their typical role. When the majority is happy, that's a good sign, and it seems like the majority has enjoyed this. :)

However i have to admit that that whole video appears to me like some sort of pure advertising show for Track-IR.

Every second sentence was like trying to say my subconscious: "you need it, buy it, without it Arma2 will suck, etc.".

Looking at some of the reactions here, it shows me that it worked - i hope you have some stocks of that company Dsl.... :p:D

I totally agree here. This is an ad no doubt, and it seems to be working.

I am okay with companies using Arma2 when doing commercials. But letting a "common" forum member post (In the press coverage thread as well) in advance that some Arma2 footage will be up for display, which laters turns out to be an ad is wrong as I see it. Also I don't like seeing that a thread here is devoted to promte a product.

@BIS. This did not feel like an Arma2 ad, and I think you would manage fine to do such a video by yourself without another company in it. I know this is a money issue. But you have a devoted fanbase here waiting to see some preview footage, please don't let other companies exploit that with this kind of advertising. You have a bigger share of mature fans than most other games developers, and some us don't like beeing exploited in this sort of way.

Of course you can let other companies use your product in their ads, but please do it proper.

My apologies for being enthusiastic about something that I've found to be irreplaceable since I started playing ArmA. :confused:

For those of you who are invested in convincing yourself it's not worth it, that's fine, but Dslyecxi is not easily impressed, and if he put this much effort into getting the word out about something, it's worth your notice.

To the folks leveling veiled accusations that Dslyecxi's just trying to sell a product, let me just say that he would not have gone to the trouble of setting up a coupon code with NaturalPoint for people to use along with years of personal endorsements if he wasn't first completely satisfied with the product himself or believed that other people wouldn't be.

I am sure Track IR is all Dslyecxi say it is, but cut the facade guys.

Façade? At no point was Dslyecxi trying to hide the fact that he thinks you should buy a TrackIR. Dslyecxi is neither a NaturalPoint employee nor a BIS employee—if you think he's doing this for purely selfish reasons, then you've got even me beat in the cynicism department. He wanted to show you something awesome, and let you know it exists. As a bonus, you get new footage from Arma 2. How nice is that?

Look, it should be well apparent by now that Dslyecxi is involved in a closed beta of Arma 2. A closed beta usually means a non-disclosure agreement, which means that any footage or screenshots he posts would first have to be cleared by BIS. There has not been an uproar from either BIS staff or the moderators, so it's a safe bet that Dslyecxi has gone through the proper channels to bring us this.

BIS approval puts it a step above the content of a "common" forum member, and if folks are really that upset about getting new Arma2 footage just because of the context in which it was delivered, then perhaps Dslyecxi and others who have been trusted with an NDA shouldn't even bother to try sharing in the future.

Façade? At no point was Dslyecxi trying to hide the fact that he thinks you should buy a TrackIR. Dslyecxi is neither a NaturalPoint employee nor a BIS employee—if you think he's doing this for purely selfish reasons, then you've got even me beat in the cynicism department. He wanted to show you something awesome, and let you know it exists. As a bonus, you get new footage from Arma 2. How nice is that?

Look, it should be well apparent by now that Dslyecxi is involved in a closed beta of Arma 2. A closed beta usually means a non-disclosure agreement, which means that any footage or screenshots he posts would first have to be cleared by BIS. There has not been an uproar from either BIS staff or the moderators, so it's a safe bet that Dslyecxi has gone through the proper channels to bring us this.

BIS approval puts it a step above the content of a "common" forum member, and if folks are really that upset about getting new Arma2 footage just because of the context in which it was delivered, then perhaps Dslyecxi and others who have been trusted with an NDA shouldn't even bother to try sharing in the future.

I've heard others say they think i should buy a Track IR, though not as convincingly as Dslyecxi. ;) But Im sure he has his reasons, maybe one beeing that everybody should have a nice gaming experience.

Although it's a debatable matter if his vid is sharing or nice, it's not what my post is about. As if he is a common member there is nothing that giving away thats he is not that, and a thread not being locked doesn't automaticly say "endorced by BIS" to everyone. Im also sure that BIS gave him the green light. Im just speaking my mind here. Im greatful for whatever Dslyecxi does to improve the game and the community. But using the forum to market products and posting "click here to buy"-links.. Excuse me if I disagree with that.

I dont think there is any problem for Dslyecxi posting an Ad video for both NaturalPoint and BI product which the BI offical have already given greenlight on BI very own forum

I'm going to chime up here and also say that I think it's completely OK to post this video. I dont see anything wrong with it at all. If any one of you had NaturalPoint approach you and offer this opportunity, i'm sure you would have also jumped at it. I think the haters are speaking from a purely jealous standpoint and would be in exactly the same boat given half a chance.

Thanks Dslyecxi for the video and 99% of the community are 100% stoked that you've done this. As for the 1% of haters, I think maybe it's time to stop being so deconstruction and try and be happy for your fellow community members.