Sign in to follow this  
alan8325

Modding in vehicle sims

Hello, I am new to this forum and have done searches on modding possibilities for this game but have been unsuccessful in finding what i'm looking for. It appears as though aircraft flight models will not be simulation level in realism, and it's obvious that developing realistic models for all of them would take years of additional development time, so I was wondering if it's possible for 3rd parties to mod in realistic flight models and cockpits with all working instruments. Just a few devoted groups could have some of that work completed in no time after release, even if it's just for a few of the aircraft.

Also, what about component-based damage in vehicles, besides the damagable wheels already mentioned? Will vehicle damage be based on penetration vs. no penetration, or will it be hit-point based (i.e. enough hits from small munitions will make Abrams eventually blow up)? If it's hit-points, can it be changed to a more realistic model by a 3rd party? For example some areas of vehicles are more armored than others and ONLY penetrations have the potential to cause damage. Then, damage would be to individual components, not a global health bar. Larger HEAT warheads and faster/harder KE penetrators would have a greater chance of penetrating than smaller warheads or slower/softer KE. Rather than the vehicle being either "dead" or "alive" the decision to bail out would be realistically based on whether enough components are operable to continue and the vehicle is not on fire.

I've read that VBS2 can have additional features added by 3rd parties to improve its capabilities in simulating specific tasks, but how moddable will ArmA2 be in this respect? I'm assuming VBS2's large price tag is because of its customizability and ArmA2 won't quite go there. :( How moddable was ArmA? Could anything described above be done?

I apologize if this should have gone at the end of a 10-page-long thread. :D

I've read that VBS2 can have additional features added by 3rd parties to improve its capabilities in simulating specific tasks, but how moddable will ArmA2 be in this respect? I'm assuming VBS2's large price tag is because of its customizability and ArmA2 won't quite go there. :( How moddable was ArmA? Could anything described above be done?

ArmA is very moddable. Their have been some mods which add more realistic fire control systems in tanks and for the AH1 Cobra.

ACE mod has the FCS for the Cobra. Additional features can be modded in just like with VBS2 although VBS2 has more advanced features for this like more scripting commands and tools (hence the price difference). VBS2 is more geared towards training while ArmA is for gaming.

I don't think getting a simulation at the level of DCS is feasible, but enhancing the game to be closer to simulation is very possible partly thanks to the scripting system.

Just check out the forum section for released ArmA mods to get an idea of how moddable it is: http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

As for the damage model, it is hit point based but different components can be individually damaged, you can take out the tracks, wheels and turrets for example. It's been this way since OFP. No idea what is changing for ArmA 2 here, but some info here can give you an idea: http://www.arma2.com/vehicles_en.html

In direct response to the question about a penetration based damage system, noone knows what the damage system is like in ArmA 2. There are many ways you can play with the damage system in ArmA 1 but you can't make it into some simulation of penetration vs. armour.

Can windows in vehicles at least be shot through to kill occupants, or does a hit to the window just deduct hit points from the whole vehicle?

Thanks for the info.

Can windows in vehicles at least be shot through to kill occupants, or does a hit to the window just deduct hit points from the whole vehicle?

Thanks for the info.

Yes they can, since OFP as well.

Some windows will stop the first couple of shots but after that they break. Some materials can be penetrated and when that happens the course of the bullets are distrubed, and there are also ricochets. It just so happens that there isn't really an amour penetration challenge for vehicles. All hits do damage, AFAIK. It may be different in ArmA 2.

Don't forget that some vehicles have bulletproof windows.

Hi all

In actual fact penetration armor modeling can be modded in ArmA/OFP and is specific to vehicles. ;)

Kind Regards walker

Alan, I've been thinking the exact same thing as you...which is why I came looking in this section of the forums. Specifically, modding realistic flight models and cockpits with all working instruments, basically something enhanced. While I think the graphics and gameplay of Arma2 are great, I can't help but wish for more realism within the planes. That said, this is not primarily a flight sim, so I understand why they keep it simple.

Here's an idea of what's possible, a simple sim which delivers in terms of gauges: http://www.hangsim.com/mf/

Hi all

In actual fact penetration armor modeling can be modded in ArmA/OFP and is specific to vehicles. ;)

Kind Regards walker

There is an armour rating that affects a lot of the game, including the AI's choices on how 'expensive' the weapons they wish to use to destroy it. It doesn't, however, stop or not stop projectiles as in real life. Everything stops projectiles except for certain materials. Your m16a2 bullet does damage to an m1a1, and that's really all you need to mention to describe the damage system. The rest of the hit location and armour values in ArmA are just book keeping and bean counting.

Edited by Max Power

What i'm wondering about is if OFP addons work in arma II!