Sign in to follow this  
Longinius

Geneva convention

Does anyone know of any websites with info on the Geneva convention, besides about the treatment of POW's and noncombatants during times of war?

And, just for fun, do you guys know when the first Geneva convention was created?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Mar. 06 2002,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">http://www.asociety.com/geneva1.html<span id='postcolor'>

The Geneva convention was signed in '49 and came into effect in '50. Erm...but in the movie about the bridge at the river kwai, that british officer is complaining to that japanese officer that he is violating the geneva convention. HOW - if it doesnt exist??

Or is that just my twisted memory?

the Geneva convention was originally created in the late 1800's as far as i know, definatly before the 20th century, they have been updated after world war 2 though, as there were a lot of new weapons.

Check the Red Cross and UN websites, for documentation and history.

Check the history and origin of the Red Cross. Check the 1st Geneva Convention of 1864.

Check Henry Dunant, the French-German War and Napoleon III, for background

And also Hague Treaty (1899) and 1929 for revision on the Geneva convention (POW's).

And of course the final revisions I through IV of 1949 and subsequent years.

But if i gather correctly u want info on specific limitations on warfare u should definetly look the Hague Conferences and Treaties on Warfare limits. Too many to recall.

Simply put Geneva international law is for noncombatants and POW's, or easier to remember "for victims of war" (also called the Red Cross treaties, specifically the 4 treaties and additional protocols and revisions), Hague international law (all others) is for conduct in warfare itself.

Well i hope this helps, u got more than your hands full. If u need any further specific clarification i'll be glad to explain.