Sign in to follow this  
chicogrande

1.46: frequent dedicated server crashes

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As I wrote, there are two most common issues:

- Most common crash is related to title effect and sound which is played when taking weapons, magazines, reloading fuel or similiar actions

- Second most common crash is related to getting into vehicle cargo space. Exact details are not known yet.

First one is what you describe here, it is in no way related to Hind and it is not a new issue in 1.45.

Second one is "cargo issue" which is almost certainly isolated to Hind cargo inconsistency. <span id='postcolor'>

For the record, I have done the following:

1. Created a small mission with an ammo truck with cargo loaded with LAWLauncher and LAW ammo. No Hind is present.

2. Tested the sample mission on a re-install of both server and client to patch level 1.42.

Results: The server did NOT crash

I also tested the same mission, following my original "crash" steps of get in vehicle, move, get out, take LAW from vehicle on 1.46. Crash.

Can you please clarify what you mean by the statement that no new issues have been introduced since 1.42, aside from the Hind cargo issue, and the "get in as cargo" issue? This clearly looks like a new issue for version 1.45-1.46 as it relates to accessing items from vehicle cargo.

From what I'm seeing, 1.42 is not having nearly the same amount of problems that 1.46 is having. I would go as far as to say that 1.42 is a more stable dedicated server platform than 1.46 for this reason alone.

I would advise that server admins avoid missions where vehicles are loaded with cargo for player usage.

My goal is not to be overally critical of your judgement, but to ensure that you are truly seeing the issue at hand. From what I've been able to test, the issue is far larger than anything related to having a Hind in a mission, and does not rear it's ugly head in version 1.42.

I'll reluctantly patch back up to 1.46 and await a dedicated server that operates without issue.

Thanks.

cg

Maybe you could post the Mission you speak of with EXACT directions of how to replicate the crash. others could also test the scenario.

Please access the testing mission at:

http://24.219.228.176/ofp/146_crash_test_no_hind.Intro.pbo

Mission contains one ammo truck loaded with a LAW and LAW ammo, and one West Officer unit. No Hind.

The instructions are contained in the briefing and hint pop-ups.

To restate:

1. Get in the truck

2. Drive a bit or just hop out

3. Grab a LAW Launcher from the truck

4. Crash

cg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">For the record, I have done the following:

1. Created a small mission with an ammo truck with cargo loaded with LAWLauncher and LAW ammo. No Hind is present.

2. Tested the sample mission on a re-install of both server and client to patch level 1.42.

<span id='postcolor'>

We will check it and I will post here if we will find out something new. Thank you for dedicating your time to test it on 1.42.

To say something on positive side: no matter if is was introduced in 1.45 or not, it will be reatively easy to fix.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Mar. 07 2002,09:47)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">To say something on positive side: no matter if is was introduced in 1.45 or not, it will be reatively easy to fix.<span id='postcolor'>

So will 1.47 be ready by lunchtime? biggrin.gif

#Is there an easy way to downgrade to 1.42 without reinstall?, that one rans very good, no crashes, no lag,

#We have the crashes too, but particulary in one mission, after 5-15 minutes, it is that one:

http://www.ofp-league.com/downloads/download.php4?id=38

>>Arudy 1.09

it is a german ladder mission, with many scribts,

with the 1.42 version , we haven´t crashes with this map

#Could it be true, that 1.46/1.45 provides more lags than 1.42?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Mar. 07 2002,00:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- Most common crash is related to title effect and sound which is played when taking weapons, magazines, reloading fuel or similiar actions.

<span id='postcolor'>

This (most common) issue is not new, it has been present since 1.00.<span id='postcolor'>

I have to correct this too. Further more detailed investigation showed this crash cannot happen in 1.42. I am sorry for the wrong information I gave before.

Thanks to all who helped to pinpoint the problem, especially to chicogrande. I hope to have some solution available soon.

Topic "Possible solution for ofp 1.46 server crashes" was updated and contains more information about crash when taking ammo from cargo space.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ Mar. 07 2002,16:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Topic "Possible solution for ofp 1.46 server crashes" was updated and contains more information about crash when taking ammo from cargo space.<span id='postcolor'>

@BI Will there be a patch for the

- Do not insert weapons into vehicles that could be driven by player, especially not into the empty vehicles, unless they are locked.

or

- Remove vehicles containing weapons.

or

- If you use vehicles with weapons, be sure to insert driver from AI group.

Problems?

There are a lot of maps which use that points.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (hugo2020 @ Mar. 09 2002,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">@BI Will there be a patch for the

- Do not insert weapons into vehicles that could be driven by player, especially not into the empty vehicles, unless they are locked.<span id='postcolor'>

We are currently working on a fix. I hope to have more information about the fix release soon.

I do not know if this is a planned option in the fix, but I know that you are planning on adding a server side option to disallow altered cfg. Will this be available with the fix?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Mar. 09 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I do not know if this is a planned option in the fix, but I know that you are planning on adding a server side option to disallow altered cfg.   Will this be available with the fix?<span id='postcolor'>

Not likely. Addin feature like this would require a lot of testing to get it working reliably. We are preparing only a kind of hot-fix for dedicated server crashes.

Thanks for the response...one more question...I have noticed our dedicated server is using MUCH more ram over time than with 1.42....it now seems that the longer the server runs the more ram gets chewed up...is this attributable to the current problems or a new issue? Thanks!

Suchey... I believe memory is the core issue with the increased crashes in 1.46.

We get this crash on our server too.  I didn't really have anything to add until I saw Suma's post in "Possible solutions for ofp 1.46 server crashes".

There seems to be a focus on taking weapons and not on taking ammo.  Maybe I'm just a tad bit confused as to what "taking weapons" suggests.

When playing "Desperate Measures", even by myself, when I take a PT boat that I have stockpiled with LAWs and AK 74 mags over to the Ural by the med tent... I usually transfer the laws over to the Ural and then take it into town.

The simple act of aproaching the back of the Ural causes a server crash.  Or sometimes, driving it near town and then simply getting out causes a server crash.

There aren't any weapons loaded in those vehicles... only grenades, magazines and rockets.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BigQEd @ Mar. 10 2002,15:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Suchey... I believe memory is the core issue with the increased crashes in 1.46.<span id='postcolor'>

From the analysis of the crash files you send us I do not think so. There were 9 crashes on your history, 7 of them was caused by the two major issues (Hind and Take weapon), 1 of them was caused probably by Hind and only 1 might by related to memory (and even in this case we cannot be sure of this and it can be caused by anything else, including Hind again).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suchey @ Mar. 10 2002,08:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I have noticed our dedicated server is using MUCH more ram over time than with 1.42....it now seems that the longer the server runs the more ram gets chewed up...is this attributable to the current problems or a new issue? <span id='postcolor'>

I think it is separate issue. If you have any more information about this, please create a new thread about it or contact me via PM.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrHanky @ Mar. 10 2002,17:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The simple act of aproaching the back of the Ural causes a server crash.  Or sometimes, driving it near town and then simply getting out causes a server crash.

<span id='postcolor'>

MrHanky, can you please send the crash files (context.bin and Flashpoint.rpt) to support@bistudio.com for analysis? See

this topic for more information how and why.

I'll see if I can.. but my server locks seemingly while trying to run debug. I have to shut down DrWatson.exe to close it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MrHanky @ Mar. 10 2002,23:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'll see if I can.. but my server locks seemingly while trying to run debug.  I have to shut down DrWatson.exe to close it.<span id='postcolor'>

Those crash files I mentioned are in no way related to DrWatson and they should be created before you press Debug. Even if the server is locked, content of the file should be usefull. Please send it, if you can.

1.47 beta fix for the crashes is available for download. Check this thread for more information.

Suma, I just tested the new 1.47 beta server hotfix against the same test mission I was using to crash the server in 1.46. It would appear you have solved the "taking weapons from once manned vehicle" issue. Nice work!

We have been running the 1.47 hotfix on our dedicated server since approximately 12wow.gif0 noon CST today and have not seen any crashes as of yet (it is currently 7pm CST) under a full load of players most of the day. I especially appreciated the ability to see players unique ID #s in the server side console-thanks!!. We will continue to monitor the server and report anything we find in this area. Thanks for the quick response and fix!!

This is great news, I have been very stressed as our server has been crashing constantly and as admin I do not know what to tell the players.

I think we need a way to make sure clients connect with the same version as the server. It should be implemented that lessthan server version = disconnect. [ with message explaining upgrade to server version ]

Anyway, good to see a fix for these terrible issues.

thanks Suma smile.gif

Still no crashes with 1.47- server has been running since Noon yesterday CST. I am still seeing the slow climb of memory usage. I will post my findings in a new thread as requested above when I have more data.

Ver 1.48 BETA is out Suchey you should use that. Because their were a couple of bugs in it and are fixed now smile.gif

I am using 1.48...maybe its something on my end??? I started the new topic as requested by Suma here