Sign in to follow this  
bedges

Vehicles in group, infantry form up

This has been mentioned already but seems a bit buried and is not among the requests in the sticked summary.

Imagine a 12-loon group: units 2 and 3 are drivers of vehicles, units 4 and 5 gunners of those respective vehicles. The remaining loons (including group commander) are on foot. Commander orders 2 and 3 off into the distance, and orders the remaining infantry to return to formation.

The remaining infantry leave 2 huge gaps in the formation where the vehicles would normally be, rather than either spreading out to cover the gap, or simply closing in to the commander.

I'm not sure what real-life formation protocol would dictate in this instance but to a layman it seems odd to leave the gaps in a formation for non-existant vehicles...

Cross fingers that BIS had implent this into formation command too eg. "close ranks". Always wondering why developers couldnt find a proper solution for this issue.

What about "form up" command to reorganize the team/group?

The only way I've found around this problem is to put vehicles at the 'end' slots in a group. I think units try to keep their formation position no matter whether other units are in formation or not. I assume it makes for less shuffling when other units do return to formation.

From the preview videos I've seen, it seems they have implemented some sort of high command engine were this problem could be solved. You just have yourself controlling the dismounts as one group, but have higher command to be able to control a separate group of LAV's. Then the LAV's will stay in their formation and group which you can move around as a whole group. Meanwhile you can have good solid formations with your dismounts and excellent individual control over those units. The only limitation being you might not have individual control over the LAV's, but then again you could have them in separate "high command" groups to be able to control the movement of each LAV (though the LAV's might not work as well together, or keep a formation with each other).

I think this problem, with some creative setup on the mission makers end, will be easily solved with what BIS has already got. We'll see when it comes out how flexible this is though.

BIS failed in OFP and ArmA 1 to implement a flexible formation managment (in terms of position).

LaKing managed to overcome some limitations in his KICTI

http://r2.d250.hu/laking/ofpfiles/kicti/

In KICTI it was possible to select some more formations and, here comes the dream, the space between the units in the same formation.

If that could be changed by the help of an slider + a value field for direct input in meter - a dream!

In KICTI you could also align the orientation of the formation once, and then freezing it.

Not like in ArmA, you turn as commander around to quickly check whats behind and the complete squad, realigns and is getting killed by the enemy.

An option to align the squad relative to the compass direction OR a selected enemy OR any point in the landscape would be VERY helpful.