Sign in to follow this  
Wobble

"then new pe"

i cannot believe what im watching right now.. I watching Real Sports and the topic is about "The New PE".. its a growing trend both in the US and abroad..

no dodgeball.. because it teaches violence..

jump rope WITH NO ROPE.. because with the rope if the kid messes up he/she might feel like a loser..

the new physical eduacation of the gradeschool and JH is moving towards as they call it "zero competition enviroment"

they are also against musical chairs.. becuase the child left with no chair will feel "left out and dejected."

I really wish I was making this up but its an ever increasing movment... called the "the new PE"..

can these people REALLY believe its good to coddle kids and round off every rough edge in the world?.. protect them from every feeling of rejection, loss, or failure. to make them believe that they are all equal and life is totally fair in every facet..

as far as im concerned the feeling of failure is the best driving force for the will to succede.. how can you truily savor victory if you know no defeat?

remember learning to ride a bike? hell the thing that made it great was finally being able to NOT bust your ass every 10 seconds.. if you just hopped on the bike and took off with no prob the first time.. how good of feeling would that be? it would feel about as grand as taking a dump.

these kids are going to come from their padded cell school life where everyone is even and there are no winners or losers. . and they are gonna get dropped head first into the concrete Jungle.. survival of the fittest.. kill or be killed (in the job market).. and what are they going to do? are they going to say "hey my frined got a 60k a year job.. shouldent I get one too? were all equal right?"

can anyone give me a glimps of the slant of view you must have to make this shit make sense

because as far as I can tell all it does is releave the kid of.. the reality of life.. tell them life is some well mediated field trip where you will be taken care of and will never have to get anything based on your own merits..

Sheesh that's all bollocks, it's a parents job to raise a child so he isn't violent, it's a parents job to raise a child so he feels special and not left out in the world etc.

It's a school's job to educate, to stimulate mind and body, the rest is a parent's role.

Are you seriously being serious?.....

It doesn't surprise me though, it seems to fit well with the PC BS that's flying nowadays. It's through pain (both physical and mental) and through loss that some of life's most important lessons are learned. I can't see how any smart adult would try to take away basic things like dodgeball becasue they fear some kid will feel 'left out' or might become 'violent' in the future.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> it would feel about as grand as taking a dump. <span id='postcolor'>

LOL, I remember the first time I rode a bike w/o training weels, I was about 8, what a feeling that was.

The 'dump' metaphor is a good way of describing it, biggrin.gif But that is debateable, I've had some pretty satisfying dumps before! tounge.gif

Tyler

LOL whoeevr made that up was seriously rejected as a child at school and probally neevr got chosen to play football.

I saw the same thing, (bless hotels and free HBO smile.gif )

It is pretty ridiculous. Well, welcome to America, home of the free. What I want to know is, in that report they showed a public school with computer games hooked up to exercise equipment and rock walls and other shit for phys ed.

THEN, later in the show, they showed this broke-ass junior high school in Alabama I think? And guess what? that other school has all this shit, and this poor school was close to ACTUALLY CUTTING FUNDING for their junior high basketball team. Is there something wrong with this picture??

Its kind of sad that some people in this country are so well off that they can afford to lose sleep over trivial bull like DODGEBALL, while other people can barely scrape by for funding for a few uniforms, a few basketballs and a coach (who, btw, is the schools custodian). It just makes your head spin

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Mar. 06 2002,02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's through pain (both physical and mental) and through loss that some of life's most important lessons are learned.<span id='postcolor'>

Never a truer word spoken, I lost my Dad at the age of 21 and it certainly changed me for the better, obviously I'd give anything to have my Dad back but the way it changed me something good did come out of the loss of my Dad smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (placebo @ Mar. 06 2002,03:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's through pain (both physical and mental) and through loss that some of life's most important lessons are learned<span id='postcolor'>

Unfortunately True sad.gif

whine all about it, but it's here to stay.

think about it. purposely hitting ppl with balls? there are better sports than that. like soccer, basketball, running, bicycling, baseball, softball.

When they grow up, and want competition they can choose to take martial arts!

by having PE this way, we are actually making sure that PE is fun for everyone!

there are better sports than that. like soccer, basketball, running, bicycling, baseball, softball.

those were all "outlawed" too any sport that encourages ANY manner of competition is considered bad under "the new PE".. because if thers is competition, someone has to lose.. and we wouldent kids having to deal with not being winners 100% of the time would we? afterall.. we have to prepare the for the real world.. where everything is fair and no matter what we are all equal no matter who is better at what,,, right??

the dodgeball is an example.. its not "the case" its just a good example of what they are going for.. they dont hate dodgeball because ya can get hurt.. they hate it because.. "it makes victims" and "some children will feel like they did lose"..

Not sure of the USA rules for dodgeball but we played something similar at school from time to time and we all loved it, it was great fun, it wasn't about making victims and all that utter bullshit, it was a test of speed, reflexes, skill, throwing aim etc. etc. etc. When we played it we used to run about laughing like insane lil children (which of course we were smile.gif)

Seems to me that kids these days are growing up more with these developmental problems BECAUSE of these things that are put in place supposedly to avoid developmental problems, if you "molly coddle" children they grow up to be fuckwits, plain and simple smile.gif

It is so important hat kids learn the social structure of the world.

School is their social life, and it should reflect life as they will encounter it as adults.

In every group there is a hierarchy, and the kids might as well learn this from the beginning, or they will be in serious trouble later on.

Hierarchy is not a bagatel, it is a mechanism within pack-animals that ensures the continued survival and evolvement of the pack.

I was that kid who got picked last for football, and this taught me a hell of a lot. It made me a lot stronger, because I was forced to excel, and that force has driven me to the top of my line of work. It was not fun at the time, but now I'm kinda happy that it happened smile.gif

What kinda dodgeball is that placebo ? When i use to play it you line up against the wall ,if they catch the ball they get the to throw it.

Anyways,this is just going make more school shootings happen,It's always the soft kid getting hurt and running home to get a gun.

Guest Scooby

In Finland we've got various sports in school since from very first grade. Most often they are team sports such as ice-hockey, football, baseball, basketball, floor ball but program also includes gymnastics, swimming, skiing, etc.

Does good for kids to learn to lose and win. Without competition most people lose base interest from doing sports.

The dodgeball does not make school shootings happen for crying out loud!!!

Thats just insane. When I went to school I sucked at sports. Still do probably, mainly because I see no motivation in chasing a ball. I have no problems with shooting or martial arts though, it seems to make more sense to me.

Anyway, back to school. Competition is good. Its a competitive world and kids need to learn that.

"there are better sports than that. like soccer, basketball, running, bicycling, baseball, softball."

Bah. Dodgeball was fun, soccer boring. I'd rather play dodgeball than basketball. Dodgeball is more equal anyway since both soccer and basketball for example require more aptitude than dodgeball does.

I was also the kid who was picked last for football, rugby, cricket, basketball, rounders, softball, dodgeball.....

You name it, I wasn't picked until they had no choice but to pick me. But it taught me to accept that your not always first in life. A very valuable lesson for any kid.

As for the dodgeball thing...I used to love that game. Nobody felt victmised, or if they did, they simply victimised the other person back. In fact people used to pick me as a target all the time, mainly cos I was so ****ing good at the game!

And taking away competition? If they do that, the kids will never get anywhere in life. They won't know how to make a way for themselves in the world, because everythings been handed out to them. Nobody wins, nobody loses, everyone gets the same.....it'll be a hell of a shock when they get to the real world.

Life's a bitch. Plain and simple. If you don't teach the kids that they'll never survive out there.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ Mar. 06 2002,14:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The dodgeball does not make school shootings happen for crying out loud!!!<span id='postcolor'>

I know it doesn't,i'm saying if we keep letting kids come up soft and he gets his feelings hurt or doesn't know how to handle a problem.

Oh, i got a bike story too. I already ad a bike by the age of 4-5 or something and I always left it lying on the road when I had better things to do. And since they were still building parts of our house a large truck ran over it. When my parents came home in the evening they saw the smashed bike and I wasnt there so they called all hospitals in town. This happened at least 3 times.

All I know is that a generation of sissies-boys is being raised.

Getting beaned in the face with a large rubber dodgeball builds character....and for me...tolerance too (and to a lesser extent revenge....cause lets face it....we all went after the guy that did that to us). In that instant of "white out" you learned a whole slew of life experiences that can't be learned the easy way! But you also left it in PE....afterward they might come up to you and say "sorry" or even "got me back good" or something...or maybe thats just my class...."Zero competition"! My god! People think life is "zero compitition"? You think thats gonna help kids prepare any better for life? Oh...does little Billy feel left out cause he didn't get the last chair in musical chairs? Oh...little Mary not happy cause she was the last picked in kickball? Gimme a break! You think life is gonna be fair? You think life is going to let you have whatever you want? You think life is gonna let you stroll through it! Kids are being raised as a bunch of spoiled little sissy kids!

"Tough PE" builds emotional strength too! Weren't picked? Fine...suck it up and try to do better so you WON'T be the last picked!

Same thing with "safe" playground equipment....rubber and plastic...my god! We had STEEL and WOOD! When you did something that knocked the living stuffing outta ya....you learned!

Oh kids might get hurt....awwww! GOOD! How else are they gonna learn the all valuable self-preserving instincts needed!? Not to mention the cognitive, logic building "dangerous" sets give you.

BAH!

Kids ain't gonna know diddly about how to handle the real world!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 06 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What kinda dodgeball is that placebo ? When i use to play it you line up against the wall ,if they catch the ball they get the to throw it.

Anyways,this is just going make more school shootings happen,It's always the soft kid getting hurt and running home to get a gun.<span id='postcolor'>

I've played that version.

We had a version where the balls were lined in the center of the basketball court and the teams on opposite walls...whistle blew and you ran like the wind to try and grab a ball first and take someone out....or you hung back and waited for the balls to fly....but you would have to run all the way to the opposite wall....whistle would blow and you all would run like the wind at each other...if a ball was lose after the teams had crossed it went in the center.

Also played with a circle and a group in the center....and basically you just nailed people until there was one left in the center (the winner).

BAH!

Kids today!

I seem to remember a kind of softball, but not quite, where you batted a tennisball and then ran like hell to the other end of the field where there was a small safe zone. The players in the field were supposed to catch the tennisball and then throw it at you, and if they hit you you were out... That taught me

1) how to run

2) how to dodge

This was always outdoors. Dodgeball was indoors, and with big soft foam-balls, nothing to worry about really, except for the competition aspects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (nordin dk @ Mar. 06 2002,16:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dodgeball was indoors, and with big soft foam-balls, nothing to worry about really, except for the competition aspects.<span id='postcolor'>

Wha?!

We used those standard basketball sized rubber balls. If you got hit in the face you were going down! Stung a bit too!

The whole point was to make so you DIDN'T want to get hit....you dodged, you feinted, you parryed! You did everything you could up to and including throwing your friend in front of you! (hehe...jk)

It taught you:

1- Competition

2- Dodging

3- Running (especially when you didn't have a ball)

4- Some could even say "tactics"

5- Life ain't always fair...and frequently hurts

6- That it ain't always personal...its just a GAME

7- Tolerance

8- Pain can be good and bad

Among others....

I think we played a similiar game too (that you were describing)...just can't remember the name of it....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Dodgeball was indoors, and with big soft foam-balls, nothing to worry about really, except for the competition aspects.<span id='postcolor'>

The dodgeball I played was also indoors. But we used tennis balls. If your reactions didn't get very quick, very fast, then you got hit. 9 times out of 10, it hurt. But you just sucked it up and made sure you didn't get hit the next time.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (foxer @ Mar. 06 2002,13:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What kinda dodgeball is that placebo ? When i use to play it you line up against the wall ,if they catch the ball they get the to throw it.<span id='postcolor'>

Memory is a lil hazy but when we played it was something like one person in the middle with a tennis ball, rest of the kids line up against a wall, while you're touching the wall you're safe, you then run to the other side of the gym to touch the other wall without the person with the tennis ball hitting you, if you get hit you're out, pretty simple game, muchly fun smile.gif