Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

New beta patch 1.16

Just wanted to say thanks for the 1.15 (AI more aggressive/active?). Better performance, now checking the new 1.16beta. Thanks again, breathed some new life into my ATI 3850 (no artifacts/splintering yet) You guys do care about these sims like their your (very complex) children, and it shows.

Im buying a ATI HD 4870 1GB XXX Edition for this computer so my problem hopefully goes away with 1.16b. Hope BIS looks at ATI for ARMA2 initially this time as well. ;) Especially as i seem to be using it from start. Then with more money coming in im moving back to trusty NVIDIA.

Im actually thinking about buying a ATI 4890 instead of Nvidia 275, because it seems like nvidia, and 2xx series especially, is not well liked by the Real Virtuality engine.

I have to praise the boys at BIS for the 1.16b in some areas. I tried flying with high VD over Sahrani and before 1.16b it always had to load big chunks of textures down at the ground (im high up maybe 4-500 meters alt) when i entered new areas i hadnt been in before. It was like that 95% of the times on my PC. Just tested the same thing now and textures were loaded 100% everywhere i flew. Very well done!

Dont know what my other issues are that seem to be worse with 1.16b like worse blurring of textures around dead bodies (also less performance when around them) plus a lot of crashes where i have to reboot my PC 2-3 times before it starts back up. Never had that problem ever in ArmA apart from 1.14, 1.15b rarely white screen and i had to close to desktop and restart. Plus rarelly a crash from it.

So some parts awesome in 1.16b for me and some less good.

Alex

This patch is a god send, my performance has gone up by 15 Fps on very high!

Fantastic Work BIS!

I'm getting the texture blurring issue around dead bodies as well. Only play with ACE now though, so hard to know the origin of the problem.

I haven't had a crash yet though. Performance it might be better, kind of hard to tell for sure as I adjust settings much depending on the situation.

I am positively surprised that we got another patch for ArmA 1.

Ignoring the reasons why it takes so long I would be nice if we got those fixes earlier.

But as Maruk suggested - resources are limited.

I can understand both positions - Maruk's and Roccos:

- On one hand, betas are for public testing, not mean for "serious" gaming :D and absolutely required to find bugs

- on the other hand, long awaited fixes and changes taking that long to arrive, that a significant bunch of server admins grabbing the newest patch to get bugs solved /features working and hence splitting the community

A solution that serves both demands, betas for public testing and fast sequences of betas and "finals" ? - I really do not know except:

I remember A LOT of tiny oddities and bugs which were solved/changed by the community by delivering changes/complete addon packs to get it right.

It might be a good idea to find a regular process to test/verify the changes and implement them with their permission.

Again, thank you for the patch, and as usual for a demanding customer: where is the next patch ? :D :D :D

ACE is dividing the MP community. Should we stop ACE or the development of any addon?

ACE is not dividing, they fixed a lot and gave me something I expected in vanilla ArmA1.

But this is what I like in the BIS approach: if you do not like it - change it-

Edited by S!fkaIaC

ACE is not dividing, they fixed a lot and gave me something I expected in vanilla ArmA1.

But this is what I like in the BIS approach: if you do not like it - change it-

It is dividing the MP community. It seems that most servers now use ACE all the time, and the few that don't are always playing Evolution and what-not. Missions that have already been played to death. Now, I have a very good PC, but ACE does shit to it in terms of performance and compatibility, plus it has a never-ending stream of bugs. Safe-to-say, I don't use it. That means that I barely play MP at all anymore because the only server that doesn't seem to use it is the IC:ArmA one, and we only have one guaranteed game on it every Saturday.

However, I do not believe that beta patches are dividing the community. BIS' beta patches are very different to what most other developers call "beta patches" in the sense that they've all been good enough to have been considered final patches. Simply seeing the word "beta" seems to throw a lot of people off, which I don't understand. If they tried it, they would understand that it's no where near the same.

It is dividing the MP community. It seems that most servers now use ACE all the time,

Hugh? How that if it is such a c***? I confirm, ACE is in some aspects as ArmA 1.0. The stamina system is simply not working - better turn it off.

But despite that, ACE is dividing the hard core gamers from the gamers - here you are right. The simple reason why so many people playing ACE is that this is what they looking for - more "realism" whatever everyone is understanding under realism.

But for me it looks like that a huge portion of the community - more specific, a huge portion of the MilSim-freaks - are united, not divided - under the umbrella of ACE. They decided to live with those many bugs.

But if you ask me if I would choose ACE for kind of league - better not.

Awesome patch. I ordered an ATi 4890 and an extra 4GB of RAM so I'm hoping I don't have to do bcdedit.exe -set /removememory 4096! :p

ACE has many problems, most of which I can live with, some more 'painful' but I feel I have to live with them. Stamina working very nicely for me, no problems with that one. Problem with ArmA not using beta patches is that if something goes wrong in a patch, the nightmare to follow would be too high for most. Complete reinstall of all ArmA and every patch official patch since. With a beta patch, it's all in a modfolder and you just deactivate it if it doesn't work. They have worked very well for me, so I use them. Others are not that lucky.

I agree ACE is causing a divide. However I think servers running ACE currently outnumber servers running vanilla. So if 'non hardcore' players want to play on populated ACE server, they'd better start paying attention to what the game is about and not just running around like a headless chicken. Everyone starts out in a certain way, but many will adopt into slower gameplay as they learn the trade. ACE is perfect for that.

I've started ArmA without ACE one single time since ACE arrived. To check out this latest patch for a few minutes. I disagree that ArmA beta patches are much dividing. For us who can run it, sure we use it. For those that can't, they run 1.14. This is far better than all those that cannot use 1.16 beta be without a game if it caused too much problems. Especially considering how much of the BIS team is currently at 'vacation' at Chernarus :D

1.16 runs like a charm and game performance seems even better than before. (This is not based on actual measurement, just my feel for it - but it feels a lot smoother.)

Thanks BIS!

As for ACE, here's my 2 cents: I tried it once and while I like many aspects of it, overall, I find ACE a hassle. It'd be much nicer if it was just a collection of addons, like the PROPER packs: you can mix & match whatever you like. I might give it another try but it's unlikely that I'd switch over to ACE. (Even though I'm all for more realistic simulation in the game, the extra baggage that comes with it just makes it not worth using it - just like Queen's Gambit.)

Thats the problem with Arma multiplayer though, you need 30 addons downloaded from different places to play on each server, and they differentiate in addons. ACE solves this problem, by giving the community one pack to gather around. And I think its working very well.

With the offtopic out of the way, I'm looking forward to try the patch.

It would be nice if they added a 'zoom out' toggle for aircraft like the choppers. Atm I'm having to use a paper weight over the minus key which messes with some of my other key presses (too many keys the game can't recognise??)

Findings until now compared to v1.15:

• Performance and Stability in MP seem to have improved
  • Haven't seen a single 'network message pending' message in the arma.rpt; I wonder if the queue system was changed/fixed or simply the message suppressed? :)

Will post more after longer testing.

Playing with ACE (and I had it without ACE too around dead bodies), I often get this blurred ground texture (as several has already mentioned). The texture blurring isn't a show stopper in itself, but when you play with ACE the NVGs keep turning themself off whenever the blurred version of the texture is active.

To me, this means I can no longer play night missions using NVGs with ACE.

Note that I could with ease reproduce this bug with ACE in ArmA 1.15 beta; as soon as I added certain units this bug became apparent. Other symptoms is that it takes a long time to start the mission from the editor, That 'receiving' text keeps getting blurred and unblurred and stays there for quite a while. I haven't tested if this applies also with ArmA 1.16 beta, but I'm guessing it will.

What I don't get is why didn't more... well... modular mods, namely ECS, become as popular online as ACE? Or well-designed mods, such as FDF and CSLA 3? I love all 3 of those mods, but it seems as if people have never heard of them.

Interesting though, why does ACE cause texture blurring in 1.16b? Isn't that a hardware related issue? I can't see how a mod could cause that to happen to something that was already there.

What I don't get is why didn't more... well... modular mods, namely ECS, become as popular online as ACE? Or well-designed mods, such as FDF and CSLA 3? I love all 3 of those mods, but it seems as if people have never heard of them.

Interesting though, why does ACE cause texture blurring in 1.16b? Isn't that a hardware related issue? I can't see how a mod could cause that to happen to something that was already there.

This thread is about the 1.16 beta patch. Not about ACE, ECS, FDF, CSLA or whatever. Use their threads to discuss questions regarding them.

Can those with the blurring textures post a screenshot please? Do you use ATI cards and which driver do you use?

Hi, it's great to have a new Beta Patch even when im still running the v1.14 and haven't

try the v1.15Beta; i hope that the try time be short and we all can see a new Alpha patch

soon, that'll be a good new. Let's C ya

This thread is about the 1.16 beta patch. Not about ACE, ECS, FDF, CSLA or whatever. Use their threads to discuss questions regarding them.

But ACE problems seem related, so I post the connection.

1. At ACE1.04? I had no problems with texture blurring.

2. At ACE1.06 suddenly some units cause texture blurring.

3. When ArmA 1.16 beta comes out, I'm now experiencing the same problems, without ACE running, but where dead bodies are shown.

4. At ACE1.07 the problem persists. Is it now a problem with ACE or with ArmA 1.16 beta, or both? See #3

@Rocco: I'm on NVidia 9800GTX. No point in screenshot, just imagine constantly switching back and forth from Mip1 and Mip2 (i.e. 1024x1024 texture and 512x512 mipped version).

Beta testing is fine, but the installers themselves need testing prior to release. I'm used to Falcon 4.0 dances (mammoth install processes), but this one's been an excruciating pain in my arse.

Firstly, Patching from 1.15 to 1.16, battleye did not update, as a result, I could not join any MP game (bad version error). I overcame this by manually uninstalling battleye in the battleye sub-folder, then uninstalled the beta, then re-install the patch before any sort of connectivity was permitted.

(Attempting to run the 1.16 installer with 1.16 already installed was not permitted, therefore, the patch had to be uninstalled)

With battleye manually removed, the patch then prompted the installation of battleye during the 1.16 install process.

However, the 1.16 beta patch uninstaller uninstalls addon components from the DBE1 mod folder, so now a server running warfare addons, cannot be accessed.

I recall this being a problem with past beta patches (not 1.15 as it didn't include an uninstaller), and obviously, it hasn't been addressed.

"zoomed in FOV bug" is still present:

Resolution - 1280x1024

Aspect ratio - 4:3 Normal

in Editor place a car class vehicle like UAZ, Ural etc with player = driver.

Players FOV is too close (zoomed in) to the front window. Press zoom out (default Num "-") and this view is much better.

Keybinding: zoomed out (Toggle) - is still not working in default and not with customised keybindings

Resolution - 1280x1024

Aspect ratio - 4:3 Normal

Little offtopic, but 1280x1024 is 5:4, not 4:3.