Sign in to follow this  
KaiserPanda

Custom face textures in ArmA 2?

Well just go into the editor with your custom face.

Select a civilian so there is no helmet or anything else obstruction the view of your face.

When it's appears way lighter than the face.jpg file then your gpu is interferring and you should compensate with a darker face file. Saving as .paa might still solve this aswell though, haven't checked myself though.

Hi, in the ArmA2 is the rvmat that screws up the lighting of the .jpg custom faces and there isn't any way to compensate this in the .jpg texture; use a .paa may solve the problem, but there isn't any way of get a 512x512 .paa texure to take less than 96Kb keeping the quality.

Do you remember the Armed Assault: Queen's Gambit partisan medic skin? that it glowed in the darkness? well... the same happens on the ArmA2 with every unit if you use a .jpg custom face. With little effort you can use an ArmA custom face on the ArmA2, but the arms are problematic (more than the hands) as there isn't any wire frame so you've to use the all life's method, trial and error... . Let's C ya

Hi, in the ArmA2 is the rvmat that screws up the lighting of the .jpg custom faces and there isn't any way to compensate this in the .jpg texture; use a .paa may solve the problem, but there isn't any way of get a 512x512 .paa texure to take less than 96Kb keeping the quality.

I've found this also.

Does anybody know if there has been any progress on this issue? i.e. black custom faces in ArmA2 appearing to light in colour. It's unfortunate that this has even persisted from ArmA1 days.

mr

Hi, i didn't had any problem with the ArmA screwing up the tones of the colours, i only had it on the ArmA2 and stills there; there's a big difference between the ArmA and ArmA2. Let's C ya

Actually you're right wipman. I think the problem I had in ArmA1 was that I was using an ATI video card at the time i.e. the problem was ATI's fault not BIS.

If there has been no progress by BIS on this v. minor issue, can anybody suggest a work-around given:

1) < 100kb restriction on most game servers preventing use of reasonable quality PAA custom faces...which would however properly display black colour as NOT transparent

AND

2) <100kb JPEG custom faces being accepted by most game servers but the black textures being converted to a transparent colour

Hi, i'd readed somewhere that they (BIS) "fixed" this issue with the .jpg custom faces on the OA models on one of the last patches, but that wasn't an entire fix as the game's Post Processing gives everything an overshinny shape that ruins again the .jpg custom faces and also the .paa ones too.

In my opinion remove the .rvmat from the human skin models is the best solution and disable the PP on the settings, but... enabling the PP can make the game run better as removes working charge from the processor to give it to the graphic card; and remove the 100Kb limitation for custom files from the servers is potentialy dangerous, as will allow any hacker to enter with +200 scripts to ruin and take control on the server, steal ID keys or anything.

Allow only .jpg, .png, .gif, or .paa custom files only, will be a better solution; removing the .rvmat from the skin of the human models. Let's C ya

@paragraphic - the old ArmA face texture does not completely apply to A2 - observe.

Here is a custom A2 face I recently fired off for a buddy (based on Wipman's template):

FaceV2.jpg

As you can see, you need have high-detailed hands, eyes and forearms or else shit gets real.

You can use the old wire for the head itself, but your eyes, 1st person forearms and hands (1st person) will be screwed up if you use anything else. Note that the hazel eyes (top centre) appear to have deprecated in A2.

Serious Cameron?! Bump much? :)

Well, to be fair, mad rabbit resurrected the thread, I just thought that adding an A2 face to the actual thread might help people looking to make their own, rather than leaving slightly less than optimal info standing.

But yes, faces in ArmA 2 are l4d2___nick_means_srs_bsns_by_werandomness-d38ilsk.png

It's funny because I didn't look in this thread for a long time, and then I see the last post is directed at me :)

Totally agree that the latest version should be around, is there a wireframe available for that one? Maybe a 'clean' one? bald, smooth skin, no warpaint, scars, bruises, no gloves, no clothes. etc?

@paragraphic - the old ArmA face texture does not completely apply to A2 - observe.

Here is a custom A2 face I recently fired off for a buddy (based on Wipman's template):

As you can see, you need have high-detailed hands, eyes and forearms or else shit gets real.

You can use the old wire for the head itself, but your eyes, 1st person forearms and hands (1st person) will be screwed up if you use anything else. Note that the hazel eyes (top centre) appear to have deprecated in A2.

I'm not sure what you mean by your post. Do you mean that the ArmA1 template does not fit within the ArmA2 game? I'm using an old modified ArmA1 template and from the screenshots I've included in the bug report you can see that all the textures align but the dark/black ones become transparent/clear. This is also regardless of resolution/level of detail for the face texture.

Can you provide in-game screenshots to better explain the bug you're trying to demonstrate as I think you're talking about a different bug. '@#% getting real' and 'screwed-up' aren't very informative explanations.

The problem I'm describing relates to the a) top right and b) bottom left of the face texture, and has nothing to do with the texture transparency.

Look at the ArmA custom face wireframe in this post - http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1856637&postcount=150. The top right area is mapped to fingers. The bottom left area is mapped to a leg. If you look at the ArmA 2 face I've posted above - http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=2088038&postcount=161.

The top right area is mapped to the eyes (the two eyes in the central top part of the texture are no longer used), while the bottom left is mapped to the hands and the wrist that you see in first person (hence, other people will say your texture looks fine, but you will see messed up hands and wrists when playing in first person view).

Any, the gist of my post is that you can't port ArmA faces straight across into ArmA 2 without problems, unless you like having little fingers for eyes and can stand having foot hands when you play in first person. This page (http://www.tacticalgamer.com/armed-assault/141518-102-custom-faces-arma2.html) sums it up pretty well.

Also, if you look at this picture - http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn248/madrabbit711/arma2oa2012-01-0819-36-12-59crop.jpg - you will see that you have little fingers for eyes. :)

@paragraphic - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/524/facemodelarma2.jpg/

Edited by CameronMcDonald

I'm having problem with custom face I created. It's all white for myself. First person and third person. My friend sees it perfectly on me and I can see it perfectly on him. Also he sees it perfectly on himself. File is 43KB .paa file. We both have ATI video cards. I have 6950. I'm not sure what my friend has but I know it is ATI. Does anyone have idea why the skin shows as white on my character for myself but works perfectly fine otherwise?

Edit: It also works for me perfectly on Profile menu.