Sign in to follow this  
KaiserPanda

Custom face textures in ArmA 2?

okay didn't that come out right? :p

translating it to dutch don't make it sound like an insult.

I see how you read it though.

I MEANT that it looked a lot like his real face. :p

Haha, nice. ;)

Ohh, realy? For me it's looking quite good actualy.

It certainly does not look anyway near "good", but thats not DSLs fault at all.

In all previews i saw, they (the default ones) were all looking that awful by default, so one can extremely notice eyes popping out of over-paled zombie faces and that was criticized pretty much by the most (german) previews too.

Its actually so bad, that if DSL wouldn't have put his RL beard into the custom-face, you would simply have a pale skin-color like mask, without any contours besides the eyes. :803:

All skins seeming to look completely contour-less and pale like from a drowned person. :p

Arma1 Faces are looking so much better - the textures and shading (if there is any shading) at least - even OFP1 ones are looking better texture-wise. :ok:

Of course this might be only like that in the Preview Versions, so maybe still WIP ? :bb:

Edited by mr.g-c
Spelling errors

Dslyecxi* could you post a picture of your ArmA and ArmA2 face to compare, please?

How many changes you can make? The res is still 512x512?

*And how the hell I pronounce your name? It's something that has been bugging me since I read your Tactical Guide.

Edited by Benoist
typo

Not as it is written I would guess ;)

paragraphic l provided the laugh of the day, thanks man :D

There is something wrong with the eyes on most/all Arma 2 faces. Hard to put my finger on what it is. Also I'm a bit concerned of the blooming effect on certain surfaces. Like ending up with glowing faces and shiny cows. Even within the rather dark interiour of an aircraft. But I'm not sure how mixing bloom with no-bloom would look like.

Dslyecxi* could you post a picture of your ArmA and ArmA2 face to compare, please?

How many changes you can make? The res is still 512x512?

I don't have an A1 face (never finished it due to the old ATI bug), and the A2 face isn't something that I personally created.

*And how the hell I pronounce your name? It's something that has been bugging me since I read your Tactical Guide.

Diss-leck-sea.

I wouldn't mind knowing if the template is the same. Failing that, a template itself would be nice so I can actually do something while I'm waiting. :P

I`ve been playing Rainbow Six Vegas a lot. If you have a regular webcam its possible to take a picture and stick your own face to your soldier. Will you be able to do this in ArmA II ? I guess it would be great if you could combine TrackIR 5 with your own face :yay:

Yes. Both OFP and ArmA1 have this feature too.

But its kind of hard to make you actual face into the face.jpg so that it looks good.

Oh, sorry :P! Never played ArmA because it sucked... And OfP was a long time ago now :)

But its kind of hard to make you actual face into the face.jpg so that it looks good.

It takes a bit of work, yes. Especially the correct placement of facial features is difficult if you don't have much experience with graphic tools like Photoshop. If you are good with PS, all you need is the face template, a couple of pics of your head from different angles and you're good to go. Took me about an hour to get my face.jpg right. :)

The problem that even a photo of yourself wont look like you is because of the head shape of the model. Humans recognize another human (as ive read in science magz) first by their shape. So your 2D features on another formed head/cheek bones, distance between eyes, nose size etc will make it look very different from yourself even with a photo slapped on.

But to the OP question - as already said: Yes you can. :)

I`ve been playing Rainbow Six Vegas a lot. If you have a regular webcam its possible to take a picture and stick your own face to your soldier. Will you be able to do this in ArmA II ? I guess it would be great if you could combine TrackIR 5 with your own face :yay:

Hi, when you signed up you were sent a link to the forum rules, one of our old favourites is "search before posting" if you had you'd have found an existing "face" thread which I will now merge this into.

72;1279933']The problem that even a photo of yourself wont look like you is because of the head shape of the model. Humans recognize another human (as ive read in science magz) first by their shape. So your 2D features on another formed head/cheek bones' date=' distance between eyes, nose size etc will make it look very different from yourself even with a photo slapped on.[/quote']

Some sliders to modify the shape of the head would be nice.

Yeah. Sliders would be sweetest ofcourse, but a bunch of headshapes to choose from would be great and maybe easier (not sure). Trying to implement a lot of variation to a bunch of different heads. Pick one that is closest to your own shape/features - choose "custom face" (like in ArmA) and away you go. Before that though you gotta do - see list below.

And this is how you do it:

-Photo yourself

-Open photo edit program like PhotoShop

-Use one of the FACE templates (ArmA has them and i bet ArmA2 will get them sooner or later)

-Slide your own ugly face over the template to correct the size etc

-Make another layer and add some combat paint to your face (you need to blur your ugly face a bit - also good for camo)

-Save to your ArmA profile folder as "face.jpg"

-The killing can begin

PS. Sorry have nothing to do @ work :)

Cheers

Alex

72;1279941']-Slide your own ugly face over the template to correct the size etc

Actually it's not quite that simple. Not only does the template have several sections' date=' but the face is also "unwrapped" - i.e. the front of the face blends seamlessly with the side. The eyes and ears also have their own seperate sections.

I would personally recommend using an existing face as a foundation, adjusting its color to fit your photos. Then scale the photos down to the right size and use the clone brush to apply your features gradually and evenly.

72;1279941'] PS. Sorry have nothing to do @ work

Yup... :D

I remember in vegas 2 if you aimed the cam at your face the game did this itself automaticly and presses down the filesize of this automaticly.

So that noob guys dont come with 180kb size file or have 30kb like me but with 80% quality degradation ( also noob )

Also its always a bit of a bitch to figure out the lines the games uses of the picture.

I remember in vegas 2 if you aimed the cam at your face the game did this itself automaticly and presses down the filesize of this automaticly.

So that noob guys dont come with 180kb size file or have 30kb like me but with 80% quality degradation ( also noob )

Also its always a bit of a bitch to figure out the lines the games uses of the picture.

In ArmA it's unfortunately not a simple matter of slapping a picture on the face. The entire head is textured, which requires a bit more than a frontal photograph. This allows a bit more creativity, but also requires more work and skill.

Though it would be interesting to have a feature that uses a standardized head texture and only updated the face from a photo. Should be possible using face recognition.

Hear hear. To be honest, I don't really see the point in having the custom sounds at all. The only custom sounds I've ever heard on a server were either stupid film quotes or just plain annoying sh*t. Not to forget that the sound files need to be uploaded to the server and then downloaded to every player whenever a guy with custom sounds joins.

Custom faces are a pretty cool feature, though it would be nice to be able to block certain ones, like Rokka suggested. Ideally, there should be a "Multiplayer" section in the options, where I can choose to disallow custom faces and/or sounds, limit the maximum size of custom files I want to download, or even have a "friends-only" option, so I only see/hear stuff from people I have added to a whitelist (using the unique User-ID). While in-game it would also be nice to add certain players to a "custom-content-blacklist" on the fly, reverting their custom face to a random stock one and blocking annoying sound files.

Maybe in a patch? :)

Could not have said it better.

custom faces in the campaign and multiplayer would be great!

Custom faces generally work for both multiplayer and single player. The only case where you'll have a different face is if the mission actually overwrites it with a different one.

Why would you care in single player anyway? It's not like you ever see your own face, except during some cutscenes.

Custom faces generally work for both multiplayer and single player. The only case where you'll have a different face is if the mission actually overwrites it with a different one.

Why would you care in single player anyway? It's not like you ever see your own face, except during some cutscenes.

i like to indentify myself with my character, its all about immersion. i dont like switching between characters too.

i like to indentify myself with my character, its all about immersion.

Well, I guess that's a matter of preference. I have no problem playing a part, as long as it's vague enough for me to identify with it. For example, I found the OFP Resistance campaign to be highly immersive, even though I was playing the role of Victor Troska and not myself.

i dont like switching between characters too.

Absolutely. Switching characters really kills immersion for me, to the point where I will just pretend it's not possible and never do it. That's one of the reasons why I'm going to be playing the campaign in coop mode with friends and not alone. ;)

Well, I guess that's a matter of preference. I have no problem playing a part, as long as it's vague enough for me to identify with it. For example, I found the OFP Resistance campaign to be highly immersive, even though I was playing the role of Victor Troska and not myself.

Absolutely. Switching characters really kills immersion for me, to the point where I will just pretend it's not possible and never do it. That's one of the reasons why I'm going to be playing the campaign in coop mode with friends and not alone. ;)

hope to see you online then! :)

did you order arma2 from amazon? and do you think they´ll deliver it on friday? monday is a public holiday, would suck to get it on tuesday or something.

i like the idea of having your own face and name in the campaign too, if there´s some audio message mentioning your name, they could go the bioware/mass effect way... give themain character a callsign or just last name.

hope to see you online then! :)

did you order arma2 from amazon? and do you think they´ll deliver it on friday? monday is a public holiday, would suck to get it on tuesday or something.

No, I pre-ordered at my local Gamestop, so I'll be picking up the game on Friday on my way home from work. Although I find Amazon to be very reliable, I just didn't want to risk it. Although they do deliver on Saturdays too. :)

i like the idea of having your own face and name in the campaign too, if there´s some audio message mentioning your name, they could go the bioware/mass effect way... give themain character a callsign or just last name.

Well, it's possible to have your own face and name in campaigns (if the campaign designer allows it), but it also makes things complicated. Like you said, other characters can't vocally refer to you by name. Talking is also a problem, so many characters in current games are mute (silent protagonist, like in FEAR, HL2, BioShock etc.).

I think game designers do this because they think players won't find it immersive enough if their character has its own personality, but I disagree. As long as the player character has good voice overs and acts within certain boundaries, I think most players can suspend their disbelief and get drawn into character. Hell, I recently played through Mirrors Edge and found it quite immersive, even though the protagonist is female.