Sign in to follow this  
KaiserPanda

Custom face textures in ArmA 2?

Will there still be custom faces?

Will the template for custom faces be released before the game? I want my face ready for going through the campaign co-op. :)

Must have, same with squad.xml and logos, it´s a tradition. I think the template will be the same, except for higher quality.

I just hope there's option to disable custom faces/sounds on client side. Nothing kills immersion more than running into some skull faced soldier or hearing annoying-thing-sound five times in a row.

;1273652']I just hope there's option to disable custom faces/sounds on client side. Nothing kills immersion more than running into some skull faced soldier or hearing annoying-thing-sound five times in a row.

Hear hear. To be honest, I don't really see the point in having the custom sounds at all. The only custom sounds I've ever heard on a server were either stupid film quotes or just plain annoying sh*t. Not to forget that the sound files need to be uploaded to the server and then downloaded to every player whenever a guy with custom sounds joins.

Custom faces are a pretty cool feature, though it would be nice to be able to block certain ones, like Rokka suggested. Ideally, there should be a "Multiplayer" section in the options, where I can choose to disallow custom faces and/or sounds, limit the maximum size of custom files I want to download, or even have a "friends-only" option, so I only see/hear stuff from people I have added to a whitelist (using the unique User-ID). While in-game it would also be nice to add certain players to a "custom-content-blacklist" on the fly, reverting their custom face to a random stock one and blocking annoying sound files.

Maybe in a patch? :)

I third these motions.

Option to disable downloading custom media. Also option to disable AI voice without pbo or messing with audio levels.

Your thread is just a bit away of asking "Will soldiers and guns be there in arma2?" Seriously, what made you think otherwise? :-)

As for templates - we shall see, but doubt to have any content before the release.

I would enjoy that if used properly, used by idiots, custom faces/sounds can be annoying.

I agree with others, its a nice feature, and I would use it and enjoy it, but I would equally like the option to disable it.

ATI Pale face bug, surely Arma II will have that sorted with ATI ?

Im an ATI Fan boy that wants the Nividia Look

ATI Pale face bug, surely Arma II will have that sorted with ATI ?

Im an ATI Fan boy that wants the Nividia Look

I second that, kind of wish Arma would've patched it...

You can already fix your own custom face on ATi cards by using .paa instead of .jpg. Here is a comparison of how the same face looks on my screen in two different file formats.

paavsjpg2.jpg

Actually I didn't succeed in making size of that .paa file anyhow usable. The quality loss is huge, and tools I've used were ancient. No DDS support either. Also, you can't force others to switch to .paa files.

When I convert it my filesize is roughly 170 kb.

And typical server limit is like half of it, quarter maybe?

Forum limit on posting graphics is 100kb!

On the subject of faces, my impression of them in ArmA2 is that they look terrible! Everything in this game looks great, except for, and is ruined by the faces!

Take a look at Dysleksic's (scuse spelling) latest Track IR 5

, the face looks absolutely awful and ruins the whole look of the soldier.

On the subject of faces, my impression of them in ArmA2 is that they look terrible! Everything in this game looks great, except for, and is ruined by the faces!

Take a look at Dysleksic's (scuse spelling) latest Track IR 5

, the face looks absolutely awful and ruins the whole look of the soldier.

Ohh, realy? For me it's looking quite good actualy.

Hi, ovbiously i stand up for the custom faces; i think that we wont be able of use 'em at

least with the USMC FR camaign units, i think that they gonna be some specific characters,

as we've seen on the QG campaign, i think that this is a bad point, because reduces the

chance of customization in the game which for me, it's bad.

I don't see what the problem may be in have a custom face with whatever on it, what i find

annoying its the people that TK, that didn't took the time to play the SP campaign and

missions and then come to bore you with their silly question or those who just don't know

what team play means and that don't understand that this is not a "Rambo simulator", this

is a game intending to be a more serious squad based shooter. I've played with people

with custom faces that made me want to beat 'em up until death and then set a burning

cross at the side of the dead body, pink faces... hommer simpson faces... G.W. Bush faces...

swasticas and all kind of things that really ill my liver; but, they knew how to play, they

acted as a squad, they cover each other, they knew how to get something from what

their tool (read: weapon) they advance in formation, following orders and doing it as it's

sopposed to be done for fullfill something. We all together looked like the damn freak squad

from hell but... we played well all together. So i'll not have problems with the colours of

the custom face of whatever player; the colour is not important, what matters... it's if

they're suckers or not. The colours don't really say anything, it's the facts what matters.

I hope to be able of keep using my custom face on the ArmA2 if i buy it and keep doing

custom faces for those players that want to customize their game with something more

of their taste. Let's C ya

P.S: When i was on the spanish Marine Infantry, my officers wanted to propose me for

a medal for paint a skull in green and black on my face, but some ours later... they catched

me smoking joints and i had "to negotiate" a serie of exercises and punches instead get

arrested 31 days, so... no medals for me... but alot of fun!!.

We use custom faces to recognize each other. But I'd very much like to be able to turn off peoples custom faces locally, since most of the time they're just ridicilous and kills it a little for me. Faces isn't the biggest problem though.

Sounds are.

I like playing with loud sounds. I mean really loud sounds. Firing the gun can be a little painful, just as I remember in the army. Most fans of custom sounds (although funny some of the time most are just annoying and ridicilous) records or boosts their sound way past clipping. At my sound level this results in a 'panic movement to get the headset off'. And I've even been killed because of it ingame. I hate getting killed.

And when you ask these guys politely to ease up, they start spamming instead like little children doing the opposite. Depending on the 'spamming level', I usually just leave at that point.

So for me, custom faces reduces the immersion somewhat, but custom sounds can kill a game for me. Two extra buttons would be nice in the player setup: No custom faces, and no custom sounds.

Not sure what is wrong with Dysleksic's (?) face other than the usualy stiff looking eyes which seems apparent on any video I've seen so far.

Edited by CarlGustaffa
spelling

So for me, custom faces reduces the immersion somewhat, but custom sounds can kill a game for me. Two extra buttons would be nice in the player setup: No custom faces, and no custom sounds.

Personally I would be happy to see the custom sounds feature just cut from the game. It has no real use. It's mostly just used by idiots to spam stupid sounds in public games. Being forced to listen to that crap is annoying.

What I would like instead is quick chat keys in place of custom sounds. So you can have custom text messages mapped there. I know you can kinda do that already using blank sound files but it's not the most convenient way.

That would be so much better than having it used for stupid sound effects.

Edited by Maddmatt

Hi, about the custom sounds... i don't remember to hear any custom sound that added

anything to the game, other that quotes from the FMJ that always make me smile, but

they don't really add nothing to the game and distract the players which could be lethal.

A server side Enable/Disable option for custom sounds may be a good solution, separated

from the custom faces; the custom faces in this game also allows to recognice who you've

at your side because may be more than one man with the same weaponry and shape and

then the custom face may serve to identify who he/she is in 0'5. Let's C ya

I remember with the original ArmA that we got the costum face file and wireframe around 2 months in advance, it was great to start up my new game and start with my costum face from day one. :)

Would love to see this happen with ArmA 2, and the Dslyecxi face looked rather good compared to his own face so I hope there are some changes made in that section as well. :)

the Dslyecxi face looked rather good compared to his own face

Zing!!! :icon_lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

okay didn't that come out right? :p

translating it to dutch don't make it sound like an insult.

I see how you read it though.

I MEANT that it looked a lot like his real face. :p