Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

What resolution are you running it at?

I know you guys won't belive me but I have an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz with an XFX 9800GT and I was able to run the demo perfectly at Very High. I heard many people tell me that this games needs multiple cores, but I gues my Single Core P4 won. For those of you who still can't believe I made a video on YouTube of some gameplay on a single core.

Hmm, seen as you're in the boot camp in that video, it's not really to much of a suprise. It's a small expanse with nothing really going on. I get 60fps there, but in the actual campaign, it's down to 20 in some areas. I'd be more impressed if you showed it at Very High there :cool:

Haven't tried it yet, I only have the demo, but I will try it on the Sceniores, do you have a single core?

I think that early accounts of ArmA 2 being the Crysis of 2009 were rather over-exaggerated, but at the same time, if you have heavy combat, the game will murder your computer if its on high settings. Good to hear that it can run on really old CPUs though.

Haven't tried it yet, I only have the demo, but I will try it on the Sceniores, do you have a single core?

Nope, I have a 2.40ghz C2D, and I can only really manage normal with High textures within the campaign with a 9800m GT and 4GB RAM.

Its funny you ask that, because im downloading the windows 7 64bit now, gonna try later, ive never bothered before,,,,

You are in for a treat with Win 7 :)

Do you guys recommend XP, or Vista 32-bit for this game?

Personally I would prefer XP over Vista because I think it runs better. My suggestion is:

Under 4 Gigs of ram - Windows XP 32-Bit

4 Gigs or more of ram - Windows 7 64-bit (Aussiming your mobo is compatible)

You will get better FPS with anything besides Vista from my expierence. Check ArmA2Mark Scores. I doubled in FPS from vista to xp. And others that have low scores also used vista.

Edit: Forgot to mention something. Since you you have a 780i mobo like me. Try OCing a little more. I was able to get 3.2ghz with q6600. 780i is a great board for OCing. I see you got it to 2.8 but from playing around with OCing and arma2mark It seems for every 100mhz increase I was able to get 1 to 2 fps more. So possibly you could get 4 to 8 fps with a small oc to 3.2ghz

Edited by binkster

You will get better FPS with anything besides Vista from my expierence. Check ArmA2Mark Scores. I doubled in FPS from vista to xp. And others that have low scores also used vista.

Edit: Forgot to mention something. Since you you have a 780i mobo like me. Try OCing a little more. I was able to get 3.2ghz with q6600. 780i is a great board for OCing. I see you got it to 2.8 but from playing around with OCing and arma2mark It seems for every 100mhz increase I was able to get 1 to 2 fps more. So possibly you could get 4 to 8 fps with a small oc to 3.2ghz

i tried to oc to over 2.8 but my rig became really unstable and the processor is already running hot, i think i may have to reset my heat sink and all, i really wish i could oc more but its pretty much as far as i can go now. im working on installing xp now but all i have is a 32-bit and that may make me loose some frames.

Na I think you w ill be surprised after you get arma2 on xp. Post back your thoughts after you install. Are you dual booting? If so run ArmA2mark on both xp and vista and post back results i would like to know im not the only one with bad performance in vista.

Id just like to say im very impressed with this game, just bought it off Steam.

I was having horrible performance with the demo, i mean i couldnt even play on normal settings. I stuck by and hoped the final release would be better, and i sure as hell was right! Im running the game on high/very high on all settings except terrain, which i believe is normal cause i dont see a difference imo. Not sure what the FPS is but it feels smooth as butter. Only issue is it stutters sometimes cause im running 32bit Vista meaning max of like 2.5 gigs, im gonna get a 64 bit soon to use 4 gigs which i hope will solve it.

System Specs:

Nvidia N-force 780i mobo

Corsair 4GB RAM

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz (Air Cooled)

2x 8800GTS 512mb overlcocked to 720 mhz

Game runs great. Thank you BI for getting me into such an excellent franchise :D

Na I think you w ill be surprised after you get arma2 on xp. Post back your thoughts after you install. Are you dual booting? If so run ArmA2mark on both xp and vista and post back results i would like to know im not the only one with bad performance in vista.

will do. i have some stuff i need to transfer from my vista partition to me win7 and then ill try to install xp again, for some reason it didnt work the first time.

Should try 64-bit Windows 7 as opposed to Vista. Vista is causing a lot of lag for people in both 32 and 64 bit forms.

I took a 50$ risk, bought a 2nd hand AGP 7900GS. Should arrive tomorrow. I hope it fits in my XCCUBE (and PSU will power it, guess so, i once had a 7600GT running). Anyway if all goes right i will have (don't laugh, it 6 years old):

P4 2.8Ghz (single core ... is there anything else??? lol:))

AGP 7900GS 512MB DDR(3 .. wow:))

2 GB RAM

M-Audio soundcard

(19" 1440x900 tft)

Seeing seany's specs there is hoping it actually will run ArmA2 (demo) because imo the P4 is below min specs.

Any thought's? Anyway, i'll see coming days. I'm just curious.

Well, it actually runs! :)

(the lowest of the lowest, but i just wanted to check out the demo, get the feel and see the editor. Imo it is immediately clear BIS had at least the 360 controller in mind. Xbox version?? Because 360 controller handles much more smooth than in ArmA1 ... anyway i won't bother you lot with my findings. I'll report to the XBOX 360 thread)

Hye guys. Do you think that ArmA 2 could run on ultra high with this rig?:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

GPU: MSI Radeon 4870 1GB

Memory: Kingston Valueram 2GB 1333MHz DDR3 x 2

And I also have Windows Vista if it matters anyway.

There isn't ultra high, only very high unless you consider ultra high something like very high with a ridiculous unecessary draw distance or something, anyway to the point, no your probably (note the probably) not going to be able to play at the highest settings, you will maybe achieve high or medium/high, anyway don't worry the game looks awesome even in medium, and BTW what's the resolution your going to play at? Anyway test the demo since ARMA 2 isn't really that predictable lol.

Yeah sorry my bad, I meant very high. And yeah the resolution is a bit of a problem as it's 1920x1080

Yeah at that resolution you will most definitely not play very high, I also have that resolution (actually 1920x1200) and it's pretty heavy, anyway test the demo and see how it goes if your close to the settings you want but need some extra FPS's you can overclock your CPU and install windows 7 RC1, this 2 things should give you 10 or more FPS's, actually you should install windows 7 RC1 anyway 2GB of ram is really not much for windows vista.

Isn't windows 7 as heavy as Vista then? And btw that memory is x2 as you can see, so 4gb in total

EDIT: And BTW HunterPT, what are the specs of your computer and have you tried the demo? If so then on what settings?

Edited by Danze

Windows 7, as far as I can tell, is basically everything that Vista should've been. That is, it doesn't take as much RAM from you, less UAC, etc. Improves the fps of games as well, which is why it's recommended that you go for W 7 for ArmA2.

Maybe I should get a dual boot for Vista and Windows 7?

Why don't you simply get Windows 7 now? It's free, and relatively bug free, until March.

Because the specs I put in my post are for my new computer that's coming next week, so I'll wait until then. And don't I need to install Vista before I can install Windows 7, or can I burn it on a disc and then just install it on my new computer? And is Windows 7 that much better for gaming anyway?

Edited by Danze

B And is Windows 7 that much better for gaming anyway?

I think Windows 7 is good I don't want it to seem like a pariah though however. Let me explain my viewpoint. XP is my favorite OS, but 64-bit XP ain't that great. Vista was a step in the right direction visually, but was a real resource hog. Microsoft took Vista, shrunk it, optimized it, and gave it a bit of a *nix feel, and released 7. Either way I think Vista isn't so good. Windows 7 is fast, it is apparent they spend a lot of time on optimizing the 64-bit arena too. This si a nice relief because Vista's 64-bit wasnt that great. Bells and whistles aside though, if you are running 32-bit, I would recommend XP

XP: If you have less that 4 gigs of ram, run this 32-bit

Vista: Microsoft is every other in terms of success. Vista is stuck in the middle, just like ME was

7: If you have 4 gb of RAM or more, you should be running 64-bit, and in this realm, 7 is king. Also, according to reports 64-bit 7 works better than 64-bit vista, especially for ARMA

Edited by FlunkyMonkey

I know you guys won't belive me but I have an Intel Pentium 4 @ 3.4GHz with an XFX 9800GT and I was able to run the demo perfectly at Very High. I heard many people tell me that this games needs multiple cores, but I gues my Single Core P4 won. For those of you who still can't believe I made a video on YouTube of some gameplay on a single core.

I'm running it on a P4 2.9 ATI 2600HD 512mb :D

Campaign started ok-ish but slowed right up!

But in user made missions with my unit it runs fine!