Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

The beta testers have signed NDAs, they can't even come here and say that they are betatesters :p

And the devs might be too busy to post their specs here.

I suppose a good 8800(GT/GTX) with 512+ MB is still a good card for A2, the GTX285/295 is for sure.

So that means no beta tester videos will be posted on the official Arma II website for the next "weekly information" thing. :(

Which is a good thing as a beta is exactly that: a beta and made to get better.

But I would enjoy seeing some solid gameplay, without the skipping from one scene to the next thing that's been in interviews. And from BIS, there would be a guarantee of great video quality. Do you find a problem with watching beta footage?

I don't understand why there is no accurate info about the recommended specs, when we are so close to the release date. It's the first time I'm following a game in it's pre-release state, so is this a standard procedure?

I don't understand why there is no accurate info about the recommended specs, when we are so close to the release date. It's the first time I'm following a game in it's pre-release state, so is this a standard procedure?

Well the wiki page has a fairly good assessment of the anticipated minimal/optimal specs: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2 even though it's the community site you do have BIS people correcting things here and there, in fact if you look at the history you see Maruk made the last update to the page April 22nd ;)

The game is still being optimised and such, at this point it's not good for PR to either set a minimal too high and then scare people off, or set it too low and disappoint people by 1. them not being able to run it or 2. suddenly changing the minimal on one of the boxes.

I think most devs don't care quite so much about accuracy with minimal/optimal specs so you see them written down earlier.

I saw that change on the 22 April - I think it changed from Dual or Quad core to Quad core for the optimal specs. Just an observation from a nervous fast-ish and cheap dual user (E5200 at 3.7GHz).

To be honest, there will always be those complaining that 100+ FPS on their rig is not attainable at the highest settings, but I am hoping that shifting the AI and other discrete loads to other processor(s) will significantly increase the performance of existing multi-core setups. But then, I'm not technical.

cjph

What about this wiki page?It seems to be different and more detailed.Look on the right side of the page for system requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmA_2

Edited by XS09

What about this wiki page?It seems to be different and more detailed.Look on the right side of the page for system requirements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmA_2

Difference being that community.bistudio.com is the official BIS wiki page, wikipedia.org anyone can and does edit to say anything they want to say, whether it be correct or not.

The problem placebo is that a pentium 4 is not a dual core and there is no such thing as Intel Core 2.0 GHz:

• Dual Core CPU (Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz, Intel Core 2.0 GHz, AMD Athlon 3200 + or faster) • 1 GB of RAM • GPU (Nvidia Geforce 7800 / ATI Radeon 1800 or faster) with Shader Model 3 and 256 MB VRAM • Windows XP • DVD (Dual Layer compatible) • 10 GB free HDD space

This kind of information is completely inaccurate and ambiguous, that's why I was asking for some official input.

EDIT: I just saw your latest post now, forget what I wrote above. I believed that the 2 wiki pages were form the same source.

Edited by Jorge.PT

I believe every day BIS find a way to improve something.

As you know ArmA is running much but much better then 1st version.

So they might be able to improve even more what was made so far.

If they mentioned a official specs, these could be easily outdated.

See why now?

But I would enjoy seeing some solid gameplay, without the skipping from one scene to the next thing that's been in interviews. And from BIS, there would be a guarantee of great video quality.

I think we will not see any ingame gameplay vids exclusive before the release...

I think, considering that release is in 2-3 weeks and gold must be reached a bit earlier, that they are currently extremely busy in making everything ready.

I know it sounds disappointing and i also would love to see some nice in-game first-person footages, with a nice Fight vs. AI, but i think we will have to wait for a final review by the most gaming magazines to judge or get a impression from it.

The most time they will make footages, trailers as well (like we could see did for instance Gamestar from a preview-version).

I would like to create some HD "shakeycam" as I have a very nice new Sony Cybershot T500 digital camera that also records HD video footage, sample here:

If I get permission then I shall hopefully make some :)

"Show me your happy face." :D

That was pretty awesome, Placebo. :p

Thanks for the replies, I'm still on a 8800GTX but looking to upgrade the GPU (cpu, mem are still fine).

Would be nice if the 8800GTX could max the game out at 22" resolution but I have doubts... its really an old card now.

I kind of skipped ARMA1 (was into cars and didnt play much games) but I recently downloaded the demo of it to try it out after hearing about ARMA2.

Have to say I was quite disappointed in the performance, I maxed the settings out and it was running at some 18 to 25 fps which is unplayable for FPS.

I turned the settings down and got only about 35 to 40 fps... but the game looked very ugly!

Honestly some new games which look 10x better (FC2, Cry..., Stalker) run faster than ARMA1. After reading some more info I heard that ARMA1 was very badly optimised.

I'm just holding my fingers crossed that ARMA2 is not the same!

Yapa

Yep the ArmA1 demo build is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery old one and doesn't in any way give a good representation of ArmA 1.16 :)

Very nice camera, Placebo. How much did it cost? And what's it called?

On-topic: We're getting a bit off-topic, but it doesn't matter since there's a chance of getting some new info/footage/pictures of Arma 2 from this. :D

Edit: Just buy the game. You can find it for $10 easily. It's also on Steam, which is supposed to automatically patch up games to the latest version. If not, just go here. Read the changelogs, too. Especially for 1.14. And the 1.16 patch messed up the steering on bikes(or so I've heard), but Deadfast released a patch that fixes that.

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=official_patch

Double Edit: So are you guys going to release a more updated version of the Arma demo anytime soon? A lot of people worried if the game will run well or not have tried out the demo, and were disappointed by it. Maybe if you released an updated version of the demo(The latest patch that doesn't break anything is 1.15, but 1.16 fixes the problems with ATI cards, so maybe you should wait until the next patch. Maybe.), you would get a few more sales on Arma. And as a result of that, you'll most likely get a few more sales on Arma II. Good plan, eh? :)

Edited by Stimpak_Addict

Yep the ArmA1 demo build is a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery old one and doesn't in any way give a good representation of ArmA 1.16 :)

I had a pretty newish demo which is 1.06 I think, this one:

http://games.on.net/file/16580/Armed_Assault_US_Demo_Version_1.06

So the 1.16 is better optimised? :yay:

Is 1.16 a mod version of official version but they just haven't released a newer demo?

Yapa

Double Edit: So are you guys going to release a more updated version of the Arma demo anytime soon? A lot of people worried if the game will run well or not have tried out the demo, and were disappointed by it. Maybe if you released an updated version of the demo(The latest patch that doesn't break anything is 1.15, but 1.16 fixes the problems with ATI cards, so maybe you should wait until the next patch. Maybe.), you would get a few more sales on Arma. And as a result of that, you'll most likely get a few more sales on Arma II. Good plan, eh? :)

That would be a good idea... honestly as a new gamer to the ARMA world I did not know there were newer patches which fix performance.

The demo imo is giving ARMA1 (and possibly 2) a negative look... I played it for a bit and the performance was just too much to handle!

EDIT: cant buy the game on Steam here in Australia... f... Atari dont allow their games to be purchased by us because they want to reap maximum retail profit.... this is what steam says when I try to access ARMA1 page:

Sorry!

An error was encountered while processing your request:

This item is currently unavailable in your region

Yapa

Edited by Yapab

Truthfully, I actually almost didn't get the game because of the demo. Since I have 6 Gb of RAM, there was that "messed up main menu" thing that I could never navigate through. But after a bit of searching, I saw that it was fixed in patch 1.14, so I did get the game.

Thanks for the replies, I'm still on a 8800GTX but looking to upgrade the GPU (cpu, mem are still fine).

Would be nice if the 8800GTX could max the game out at 22" resolution but I have doubts... its really an old card now.

The demo is a horrible comparison to ArmA patched 1.12 to 1.16.

I'm able to run ArmA @2560x1600, very high & high settings with a 8800gtx

8000 vd seems to be my sweet spot. I see 40-70fps, and ArmA doesn't use my SLI.

I'm hoping ArmA II will give me around the same gameplay.

Very nice camera, Placebo. How much did it cost? And what's it called?

Sony Cybershot T500 - £195 (220 Euros)

So the 1.16 is better optimised? :yay:

Is 1.16 a mod version of official version but they just haven't released a newer demo?

Yapa

Massively better optimised.

It's official, see here. You can probably buy it from Sprocket in Australia.

Topic creator of that topic(Rocco) was banned. Excellent. But he's most likely going to make another account. Do you have a system to prevent that, or do you just have to keep a watchful eye?

And you got what you payed for with that camera. It's amazing!

On-topic: How does Arma II handle 1 GB of VRAM? How about 2 GB? I'm stuck on which card to get for Arma II. How much VRAM does Arma II utilize, and is 2 GB too much? Video cards:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102826

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161276

Edit: I love the edit button. Anyways, I forgot that SAPPHIRE uses its own drivers, and that they aren't as good as the official ones. So it's going to be the 4890 1 GB for me.

Thank u to both of you! That just made my night :)

The demo was overshadowing my enthusiasm for ARMA2, but not greatly as I was still going to buy and play the game... that TRACKIR 5 video by some user really won me over! and my mate too who is also getting the game (coop sp should be fun).

I read through the patch notes, and in patch 1.14 they say up to 100% performance improvement! I should have no problem running ARMA1 then if your running at that resolution, Im only on 22".

I'll have a look around for the original, however I might just skip it simply because I'm leaving for a 6 week holiday and coming back 3 days before ARMA2 release, perfect!

Thanks again :D

Dev's, please release a newer demo because the old one doesnt do the game justice :)

Yapa

Dev's, please release a newer demo because the old one doesnt do the game justice :)

Not going to happen sorry, hopefully ArmA2 demo one day soon ;)