Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Unless you have a 30" monitor, I wouldn't bother. Just get a single fast card.

I'm wondering if my 192 proc cores on my GTX 260 will give me ultra high settings and no less than 60FPS when combined with a i7920 @ 3.2Ghz. If not I was considering buying another 260 instead of ditching it and getting a GTX285.

Thoughts?

Even though your GTX isn't the 216 core version, I imagine it'll be fine. I'd say wait and see how it performs when the game comes out. If it isn't entirely to your liking, THEN decide to upgrade to two cards. Also I cannot imagine ArmA2 not having Crossfire/SLI support.

I believe we already heard no sli/crossfire support? Can't find the thread atm. (hope I'm wrong)

Asus upgrading me from 8800gtx to gtx260 has definately improved ALL games I've tested, including benches. Other than VRAM, the 260 specs are close to the 8800, but, the 260 runs a lot cooler.

Not supported by game default, but manufacturer provides drivers for sli/crossfire configurations to perform better in games.

Swore I wasn't going to do one of those "will this run it.." posts but I'm a little confused. Don't really understand all the high techie numbering thingies anymore. Miss the old Pentium 600 faster than Pentium 120 , GeForce 4 faster than GeForce 2 etc.

Anyway , for you edification...

PERTINENT INFO:

O/S WinXP SP2 Home Edition. 2 G RAM.

CPU :

BIS Recommends - Athalon 64X2 4400 (or higher)

I have : Athalon 64X2 4200

Video:

BIS Recommends - ATI Radeon 4850 512 M

I have - ATI Radeon 3850 512 M

As you can see I'm (AFAIK) barely below recommended specs for ArmedA2 yet ArmedA1 has to be run at reduced graphics to run smoothly in SP mode :confused: (unless I'm doing something wrong in the graphics settings) so , unless I'm totally way out in left field , the game must be optimized OR their minimum specs are out to lunch.:rolleyes:

So in your opinion , do you think this thing will handle the game?

or..hmmmm.. just had a thought...maybe it has something to do with ArmedA2 utilizing both cores instead of one.

Your actual system specs really are only the shallow beginning as to how well a game runs for you, besides the hardware you have, what other steps do you go to to help a game run well on your system?

Do you download the latest drivers? (And also check the new ones you downloaded are faster than the previous ones?)

Do you ensure that your hardware is running at correct/optimal parameters? For example it's extremely common for hard drives to be running at slower transfer rates than they're actually capable of.

Do you stop all programs/services from starting with windows if not 100% necessary?

Do you close all running apps before starting the game with something like enditall?

Do you regularly defrag the hard drive to ensure optimum performance?

There's lots of ways for a decent spec PC to absolutely die a slow agonising death when trying to run a game that it should easily run if the user isn't taking proper steps to do their part to help the PC, there's users on this forum who've spent 2 years bitching and moaning at BIS about the performance of ArmA1 who finally discover that running a PC with 2 year old drivers is the real cause........

Hi all.I've just seen the released requirements for Armed Assault 2 and they quieted my nerves a little.I'm not an active PC gamer anymore and the only games I plan on playing in the future are Arma 2 and maybe Mafia 2.

Thus,as cash proved a constraint I've shelled my plans to upgrade my PC to Core i7.

So I'm left with this paltry system

Amd Opteron 165 2.0 ghz(likee 4400 x2)

4x512 mb DDR 400 RAM

Asus A8n SLI Deluxe with only PCI-E 1.1 support

Western Digital Blue Caviar 640 gb(very satisfactory speed for a harddrive)

Geforfe 6600 GT(wth?!)

Windows XP Pro SP3

Obviously the graphic card is killing me to bits.So that's what I plan on upgrading.

The question is should I go for an ATI 4770 or 4850 or Nvidia 9800GTX+

The 4770 is the cheapest,smallest,quietest card available and I think even with that I'm close to a situation where I'm bottlenecked by another component.I'm curious to hear your opinions.

hallo. this is what I'm gonna be playing with

A64 X2 6000+ OC'd to 3,3GHz

6GB DDR2

HD4850 512Mb

no doubt it's gonna work, but I wanna play at 1680x1050, so I might be getting some upgrades. I'll let the demo decide that

hallo. this is what I'm gonna be playing with

A64 X2 6000+ OC'd to 3,3GHz

6GB DDR2

HD4850 512Mb

no doubt it's gonna work, but I wanna play at 1680x1050, so I might be getting some upgrades. I'll let the demo decide that

Looks like you'll be fine with that. Even 1680x1050 should work okay.

Hey guys, im quite exited to play Arma2 but i got a little problem.

Im not an expert concerning hardware and i wonder myself if arma2 will run with my system. Atleast i think my system is fine, only thing i worry about is my grafikcard.

I go a "ati radeon hd 2600" and it would be nice if anyone of you could tell me if this fits with the system requiterments or not. Cause obviously i dont have much fun to buy the game but arn't able to play it

I go a "ati radeon hd 2600" and it would be nice if anyone of you could tell me if this fits with the system requiterments or not. Cause obviously i dont have much fun to buy the game but arn't able to play it

I doubt it.

I have that card in my old PC, and it's kind of crappy... for games at least. It's better for things like photo and movie editing than playing games.

I'm wondering if my 192 proc cores on my GTX 260 will give me ultra high settings and no less than 60FPS when combined with a i7920 @ 3.2Ghz. If not I was considering buying another 260 instead of ditching it and getting a GTX285.

Thoughts?

There's certainly no point in upgrading to a GTX285, they're too similar. I'd say the 260 will run it fine on high settings. What resolution does your monitor support?

Thinking of Upgrading system for Arma 2:

Current:

C2D 2.4ghz

2gb DDR2 1066mhz

ATI 4870 512mb

Upgrade:

Core i7 2.66ghz

6gb DDR3

GTX295?

--------------

Not sure about the graphics card tho?, is it worth upgrading from a 4870? I do want to play on ultra high really so maybe it is?.

To be honest, the amount of performance you'd gain relative to how much you spend on it is virtually nil. The HD4870 is a perfectly good card (there's also the problem that ArmA 2 may or may not support SLI, and the GTX295 is a two GPU solution) and you could try overclocking your CPU (or replace it with something like a Q9650 if you want to just have a fast quad core, you may even be able to keep your current motherboard).

And ultra high quality is seriously over-rated. :p

Edited by echo1

There's certainly no point in upgrading to a GTX285, they're too similar. I'd say the 260 will run it fine on high settings. What resolution does your monitor support?

1680X1050, 21" widescreen.

Yeah, a GTX260 should be more than enough for that. IIRC, some of the previews were done on higher res with a similar graphics card, and it worked fine.

Yeah, a GTX260 should be more than enough for that. IIRC, some of the previews were done on higher res with a similar graphics card, and it worked fine.

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it! :)

Looks like you'll be fine with that. Even 1680x1050 should work okay.

MAdDogX, I have a similar but lesser set up than the one you have in your signature there. Same motherboard, but slightly lesser processor, slightly lesser vid card(9500GT).

Are you expecting your sig's shown set up to do the job?

To be honest, the amount of performance you'd gain relative to how much you spend on it is virtually nil. The HD4870 is a perfectly good card (there's also the problem that ArmA 2 may or may not support SLI, and the GTX295 is a two GPU solution) and you could try overclocking your CPU (or replace it with something like a Q9650 if you want to just have a fast quad core, you may even be able to keep your current motherboard).

And ultra high quality is seriously over-rated. :p

confirmed, both Sli and crossfire are supported.

Latest ATi drivers include an Arma2 xfire profile.

xfire?

like the gaming software?

xfire?

like the gaming software?

"x" as in cross. xfire = Crossfire.

I hate it when people call it xfire. So confusing... ;)

ah alright. I also use xfire (the real one :o), and couldn't make the link with ATI

Fair enough, but either way, there's no point considering a dual GPU setup unless you have a really large monitor, or some kind of multiple monitor setup.

I recieved an ArmA I profile from Nvidia drivers well over a year ago....the profile was set for SLI, yet it still did not work properly.

My 4870 runs ARMA just fine. I'm sure ARMA 2 will run even better due to its optimizations over its predecessor, graphically and CPU wise.