Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi, given the fact that the GF GTX 275 outperforms the ATI 4890, only costs 5-10% more, uses way less energy in non gaming mode (which i simply assume is the majority of the most computer-time you use :p), is much cooler, and has way less (almost non-hearbale) noise, it would clearly get my go.

Especially here in germany were energy prices basically doubled the last 5 years, i tend to look more into saving energy with the PC - and ~40Watts less is indeed a difference, when i think that i have this PC running almost 24/7. Dunno how its all at your end, but just some sort of advice based on germany environment.

Claiming that the GTX 275 outperforms the 4890 is incorrect.

Intel Core i7 920

SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W PSU

OCZ OCZ3P1333LV3GK DDR3 PC3-10666 1333 MHz (3GB)

ASRock X58 Supercomputer

Poor choice for motherboard and memory. Not to mention you don't need a 1000W power supply unless you are running an overclocked system with quad-sli or tri-sli.

Yeah I was originally looking at the 4870's and the 4890's, but the problems of a sh*t-load of heat and blow dryer or worse fan sounds make me a bit nervous. I have the Thermaltake Armour+ full tower case which is no tiny case by far and it has hmm, let me check....

My pair of 4850 X2's weren't that loud as you claim it to be. It's just nvidia fanboys trying to scare you off when Nvidia themselves had made video cards that sound like true leaf blowers and let me tell you my pair of GTX 295's aren't quiet either. Thermaltake makes among the worst cases ever they are too cheap looking and the build quality is utter crap. You want a good case go for the cases made by Cooler Master, Antec or Lian Li.

Edited by Supernova

What an Nvidia fanboy. Claiming that the GTX 275 outperforms the 4890.

Source 1. Source 2. I also point at a review I read in someone's copy of PC Format that I read the other day... The most critical thing I've seen said of the GTX275 is that it's almost the same as the HD4890. I've never seen anything say that the HD4890 is much faster. What's your source?

Not to mention you don't need a 1000W power supply unless you are running an overclocked system with quad-sli or tri-sli.
As far as the PSU is concerned, I already purchased it months ago since I was undecided on whether or not I would run two cards (I'm not really building for ArmA 2 alone anyway) or not.

Again, read before you spam.

Thermaltake makes among the worst cases ever they are too cheap looking and the build quality is utter crap.

I've seen very few cases that are sturdier or better looking than my Armor (admittedly once you remove those ridiculous 'flaps' on the front). I admit the Lian Li cases are the best, but they're much more expensive. At any rate, he already has one. What do you expect him to do? Throw it out the window?

Bickering about which GPU is better than another is off topic and ends now please, this is for discussing ArmA 2: System Specifications only. There's a pinned PC thread in OT if you want to stand in the urinal comparing GPU sizes........

Hey guys new to the forums and also to the OFP/Arma Franchise in general

and really loving what I'm seeing, but I'm worried about If I'll be able to run

the game on my current PC. I just wanted to ask if a PC with these specs

would be able to run Arma 2 as it stand right now and if not what hardware

upgrades it would need to do so.

CPU: Pentium Dualcore E5200 @ 2.50 GHz

GPU: EVGA GeForce 9400 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0

RAM: 3 GB

:welcome:

I'm afraid you're probably going to have to do some upgrading. Your CPU just about meets the minimum spec (although it might hold you back a bit), but your graphics card is way underpowered.

There's a bit of a problem here in that nobody really knows just how demanding the game is going to be until it comes out. If you want to spend as little as possible, there's an argument to be made for waiting till the game comes out. Then people will know what's the least amount you have to spend to get the game running well.

That said, if you have the money, and you want something that will cover all bases, I'd upgrade both the CPU and graphics card - I'd get a Core 2 Duo E8600 and a GeForce GTX275, which will pretty much guarantee that the game will run great at highish settings (and indeed just about any other game out these days). Btw - is this a PC you've built yourself, or one you bought in a shop?

Hey guys, how do you think I will run ArmA2?

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ at 3.2GHz

8800GT 512MB

4GB DDR2 800MHz (5-5-5-18)

I hope better than low settings. I run pretty good in Crysis :P

Unifore:

Well I can be honest and say it's unlikely you'll be running with any high settings on that pc of yours. Any 9 series Nvidia card that is not the 9600gt or higher is going to be rather bad to play any game on. I cannot comment on your Pentium as I am unaware of the performance in games they might have compared to the newer Core Duo's, but I imagine they are quite behind.

Hey guys, how do you think I will run ArmA2?

AMD Athlon X2 6400+ at 3.2GHz

8800GT 512MB

4GB DDR2 800MHz (5-5-5-18)

I hope better than low settings. I run pretty good in Crysis :P

Well, you have the "recommended" card, a decent enough CPU and a load of RAM. Should be good to go :)

Well, you have the "recommended" card, a decent enough CPU and a load of RAM. Should be good to go :)

Awesome, so nice graphics?

Also, I'm planning to upgrade CPU to AMD Phenom II X4 940, so that should help too.

But with current specs, should I get nice graphics? Like the preview :butbut:

That depends. From what I've gathered, the previews are being done on (mainly) HD4870s, which are a good deal faster than an 8800GT. But you won't be stuck on low settings. You should be able to have it run smoothly with a good bit of detail (doubt they'd advertise the 8800GT as being the recommended card otherwise).

If you are upgrading to the Phenom II btw, make sure your motherboard can support it (and if you are replacing your old one, make sure it supports it too). Some motherboards have problems with the newer chips.

I have the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wi-Fi Edition Mobo, which is AM2 mobo.

However after researching, apparently it supports AM2+ chips as well. And if it's not too much of a deal, can you confirm that for me please?

If you look up your model on ASUS' website, it should provide you a CPU compatibility list. Often you have to make sure that your BIOS is upgraded to the latest version before you replace the CPU with the newer model.

Im looking forward for arma 2 release, and im just wondering will my pc be able to run it smoothly?

Currently im running with:

intel core2 6600 2,4ghz

2gb ram

Nvidia 8800 gts 640mb

Asus p5b motherboard.

Your CPU is good, you can easily overclock that CPU to over 3.2ghz and it will be fast enough for a GTX285 which would be perfect for ARMA2 at high settings.

I have the same motherboard as you and the lower end E6420 CPU, its currently at 3.44ghz without any problems on air (with aftermarket cooler, cheap tho).

I say wait to see how the game runs, it should run "ok" on medium settings, however I think that you will have trouble running "high" settings with any AA as the 8800GTS 640mb is quite a bit slower than an 8800GT which is officially recommended.

Upgrade GPU to GTX275, GTX285 or an ATI4870/4890.

Yapa

I'l probably be getting a new PC at some point this year, most likely nearer to xmas, as my current pc won 't have a hope in hells chance of running this game.

I'l probably get something along the lines of this pc from CCL Online, which has an AMD Phenom X4 9950 Quad Core Processor (2.6ghz) and a Geforce 9800GT 1Gb.

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=31354&category_id=683&manufacturer_id=0&tid=

Anyone have any thoughts on whether this pc will be suitable for ArmA 2?

hi, i am really looking forward to the release of arma2 but im rather concerned my system will not cope, i was wondering if someone could put my mind at ease.

q6600 quadcore 2.4ghz, 8800 GTS 512, 4 gigddr2.

my OS is vista ultimate 64bit

I'd say it will (speculated of course). If not, raise the clock of your Q6600 a little bit more to like 3GHZ...

I wish i knew how to raise the clock thing of my Q6600. But i managed to destroy my computer by just cleaning dust out of the inside of my computer. The whole thing had to be replaced, thank god DELL have good customer service and replaced the entire computer tower and everything in it.

I wish i knew how to raise the clock thing of my Q6600. But i managed to destroy my computer by just cleaning dust out of the inside of my computer. The whole thing had to be replaced, thank god DELL have good customer service and replaced the entire computer tower and everything in it.

You can't overclock Dell computers. They lock down the BIOS options to prevent people messing around with their computers.

@Pauld: With a good fan and a reasonably good motherboard + RAM you should be able to hit well over 3GHz. Some people get as high as 3.6-3.8 on air cooling.

Hi,

Has anything official been said regarding performance on 3 core processors? I was thinking of geting an AMD X3 720. I read the developers claimed that a quad core should provide better performance than a dual core on some specific situations, but I was wondering whether there would be any gain from 3 to 4 cores.

Regards.

Probably not that much, and those triple-core Phenom IIs are really good value for money. I'd say go for it.

Poor choice for motherboard and memory. Not to mention you don't need a 1000W power supply unless you are running an overclocked system with quad-sli or tri-sli.

...My pair of 4850 X2's weren't that loud as you claim it to be.

...Thermaltake makes among the worst cases ever they are too cheap looking and the build quality is utter crap. You want a good case go for the cases made by Cooler Master, Antec or Lian Li.

Well as I've already said I have those parts--so complaining they're supposedly all crap (yet the reviews on the mobo seemed pretty well from when I looked around) is pretty much useless since I don't have another 2 grand sitting around so I can just toss everything out of the window and start all over. Unless you wouldn't mind lending me some money? lol

Concerning the video card and loudness--I wasn't "claiming" anything but stating what I kept reading on sites such as newegg and well as a few forums and review sites. But if it sounds like over-exaggeration, well then I'm quite relieved to hear otherwise obviously. Thanks for letting me know.

Once again, I said I purchased the 1000w because I was undecided what I was going to do (oc, crossfire, or not), besides instead of having to always buy a new psu I wanted something I could use for quite awhile so I can in turn use that money towards things like cpu and video cards. Please take the time to read my posts a little bit, so I don't have to constantly repeat myself.

As far as the case, maybe you had a bad experience. I pulled this thing out of the box the day it arrived and was impressed. Might take off those two little doors though since they always get in my way. I'm quite happy with it. But thanks for your opinion on all my horrible choices for everything I already purchased months ago and will live to regret.....I think. <ponders a bit> roflol j/k

Anyways @ rest:

Thanks for all the great feedback and help. I spent all of mother's day yesterday on the computer checking out reviews on cards and I think I might actually go Nvidia this time, if anything to try something new since I've only used ATI in the past up till now. But something is telling me the best bet first is to try and hold out until Arma 2 is released and the feedback starts coming in. However knowing me, I might not make it till then. <starts to fidget like a little boy in a toy store>

I do have another question though. Since I got the 3 GB of ram, should I get another 3 for arma 2 or would the 3 still be ok? I wish I would have asked this before I purchased the sticks a few weeks ago, argghhh.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me out. At least now I'm not tossing and turning thinking about what to do as much now. :D

There's not that much reason to upgrade beyond 3GB. Especially if you have XP or 32bit Vista which only supports up to about 3GB anyway.

To buy a 1000w power supply is totaly nonsense.

I've a PII 920 and a 4780 1Gb and its more than enough for my system.

If you will build up system with sli (two 285 gtx or 295) , or 3-Way-SLI and multiple HDD's or SSD and i7 with OC than maybe yes but for normal system it's

;)