Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

@ deanno - can you overclock your processor? If you play singleplayer, the cpu will need to be as fast as possible due to the AI running on a single thread and it can slow down the rest of the game for you.

If you can overclock to 4-5 GHZ, I think, you can play with low to medium graphics settings.

If you want to upgrade, you really need to plan a good balanced system.

I recommend a Quad Core Intel CPU that can overclock to ~ 4.2-4.5 GHZ, the more the better. No need for hyperthreading enabled cpu as most games don't support, except BF3. ARMA 2 can use up to 4 cores effectively with the latest beta patches but it is still depending on fastest cpu speed due to AI loading the cpu the most.

You need a fast graphics card with 2 GB or more memory if you want to run at high or highest settings and you should run with 8 GB of main memory with a 64 bit version of windows.

The reason is to give ARMA 2 as much ram as possible, up to 4 GB for a 32 bit program, yet not cripple your system by leaving the rest of the 4 GB for Windows and other background tasks.

Actually, if you have a budget in mind, that may be the best way to recommend something to you.

Thanks for the replies. I going to have problems with the PSU as i have found out its only 250w. I'm limited on what PSU would fit in the case and the board, mini connector on the m/board. So thinking maybe best to start from scratch, new case,psu, board,cpu and gpu. Unfortunately there isn't much in the way of funds available. I have £300 -£400 i could use, i don't mind going the ebay route. So what would be the recommendations.

just out of interest would the following be ok

CPU Name :AMD FX-4350 Quad-Core Processor

Memory information :Total physical memory 16381 MB

OS information :Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit version

BIOS Version :GA-78LMT-USB3 F4

Graphics: 2GB ATI RADEON HIGH DEFINITION 6670 GRAPHICS CARD

Edited by deanno

Ok, have decided to start from scratch and buy from the auction site, cheapest way for me with limited funds. So far i have a M/board and CPU but would like to know which GPU i could go for, something around £100

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.4 GHz Quad-Core (HH80562PH0568M) Processor

8GB Ram

750w WIN POWER power supply ATX-750

Edited by deanno

My specs

Processor - AMD Athlom II x3 445 3.10GHZ

RAM - 4.00

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA M68MT S2 Gefore 7015 DDR3 AM3+

Video Card - Sapphire HD 6570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102994

I only get about 25 frames with the lowest specs on a good day, was wondering what should i upgrade to get better frames? Or if its not worth upgrades just buy a new set up?

I am getting a laptop to get back into gaming, and I have a question regarding the CPU - They have on offer an i7 4700MQ 2.4ghz (boosted to 3.4) and for not a huge increase, 4800MQ, 2.7ghz (to 3.7) and while it's not overly expensive, I won't bother getting it unless it will greatly improve my A2 experience.

I have no interest in one day being able to run A3 (Sorry BI :( ) so A2/OA is my only concern.

Anyone able to shed some light? Is that .3ghz going to do much?

Just to help - It also has 16gb ram, GTX 770m (3gb) and an SSD for the primary drive.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to getting back into A2!!! :D

Nok

Hey guys, I'm buying a new pc. Which one of these builds do you guys think will run ArmA 2 and 3 best?

i5 build:

i5 4670k 3.4 ghz

Radeon r9 290 4GB

8GB DDR3 ram

amd build:

AMD FX-6300 3.5 ghz

Radeon r9 290 4GB

8GB DDR3 ram

I guess the only difference is that in one build I will have a AMD and in the other a intel CPU, they will have different motherboards and stuff ofcourse but the AMD build is much cheaper. I have read however that a i5 will do WAY better in the ArmA-games than a AMD CPU. Is that true?

I5 but you should read up how to OC it. The faster you can run the CPU, the better the game due to the AI running on a single thread. Faster cpu, more operations, smoother game.

My Computers been sort of broke for the past few months and I'm looking for a budget graphics card around £50/€60 that can run Arma2.

Look for a Radeon 7850.

A new one will cost €90-100.

A second-hand one less.

ArmA is meant to be multicore optimized. If that's true, it means that a Quad Core will be of much more use than a Dual Core, even if the latter is faster than the former. 550w should be more than enough for your configuration, assuming the PSU is of good quality (How old is the PSU?)

The big question here is what motherboard you have. Certain older chipsets may not be compatible with Quad Cores. Although the chances are that your motherboard will accept a quad core no problem.

Alright, so finally got the ok to build myself a gaming pc. Coming over from 360 and having never have built a rig before im a bit nervous. Anyways, i'll be pulling money every week to go towards this so will probably be getting a part every two weeks or so depending on the price.

My goal is mainly to play arma 2 with all of its mods. Maybe arma 3 and battlefield 3 or 4 if possible with the same rig. Here's a build I found while looking online that might be what im looking for and in my price range (around 500). Just looking for some thoughts or suggestions, really have no clue about pc gaming, building, or really anything pc.

CPU AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $79.49 @ OutletPC

Motherboard ASRock FM2A55M-VG3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $45.99 @ Mwave

Memory Patriot Viper 3 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $42.99 @ Newegg

Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.91 @ OutletPC

Video Card XFX Radeon R9 270 2GB Core Edition Video Card $142.98 @ SuperBiiz

Case Rosewill RANGER-M MicroATX Mini Tower Case $29.99 @ Amazon

Power Supply EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Micro Center

Total

$414.34

Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 04:01 ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 ----------

Was suggested to me to get a 500W PSU, a bigger case, and 1 more stick of RAM.

i want to buy a laptop and im thinking about buying a dell xps m1710 for $300 would that be good enough to run it

You work for CIA i gues, used to tell as little as possible. ;)

So ill help you out.

Dell XPS M1710: how old is that? 8 years?

CPU: Intel Core DUO T2600: Benchmark 943 Should be able to handle the game if you tweak it properly. (My friend uses something with similar benchmark rating, and after tweaking his settings he gets about 15-20FPS online with moments of 5-10FPS)

GPU: nVidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX Read some rewievs, it is really old, but it seems to meet the requirements.

Ram: 1024MB it meets the minimum but i wouldnt go for so low RAM.

Cannot quite asses the price, cause i dont know whats average pricing in your country.

Overall, I would try to save more money, and buy something better. I think you could be able to run the game (my friend runs it on Cheap office laptop. Brand New one tho.) but i dont think you would be too happy playing it.

Wait for others to say theyr oppinion, and you will see.

Note: I would never go for Laptop for Gaming purposes. Better go for Desktop it has better Upgrade possibilities, and better Price to performance ratio if you build it yourself.

I have I7 4790K and GTX560 and still get under 30FPS in firefights online. I build my PC piece by piece, started 6 years ago with something really cheap, and upgrading every year. First year i saved for better graphic card, second year i saved some more and after selling both the old ones i bought GTX 560. 3 year i bought better screen, then better Power source, then more RAM and finally this year brand new Mother board, and I7 CPU. Next year, iam planning on New HDD caus the 6y old grandpa i have there is diing on me. then i want better GPU.

Edited by Mirek

i want to buy a laptop and im thinking about buying a dell xps m1710 for $300 would that be good enough to run it

That should be pretty good, you'll hopefully be getting an average ~30 fps.

I have

Dual Core Intel g850 2.9 ghz

Intel HD 2000 GPU

4gb ram

Can I run the game?

I have

Dual Core Intel g850 2.9 ghz

Intel HD 2000 GPU

4gb ram

Can I run the game?

Friend of mine runs it on simillar setup. He is not very happy about it. :-(    

Friend of mine runs it on simillar setup. He is not very happy about it. :-(    

Yeah, it runs but not the best.. I am still happy it can actually run though.

I get 10-30 fps running 720p depending on the server and how much action is going on..

I am very limited upgrading this PC with a dedicated GPU, it has low power and low profile slots, perhaps I will try running the game from a flash drive and see if that helps.

Power is not a problem, you can allways buy more powerfull powersource. The Low profile thing might be an issue, but they make the cards in many shapes and sizes.

I everyone. I just joined this board because I have a question about playing ARMA 2.

I have a Mac Book Pro laptop which I bought in 2011.  I would like to play ARMA 2, and was

wondering if ARMA 2 can be played on a Mac.

Did Bohemia make a Mac compatible version of ARMA?  If so, where can I purchase/download a copy?

I've been wanting to try this game for a long time, and now that I'm on summer break, it would be a great opportunity!!

Thanks,

I everyone. I just joined this board because I have a question about playing ARMA 2.

I have a Mac Book Pro laptop which I bought in 2011.  I would like to play ARMA 2, and was

wondering if ARMA 2 can be played on a Mac.

Did Bohemia make a Mac compatible version of ARMA?  If so, where can I purchase/download a copy?

I've been wanting to try this game for a long time, and now that I'm on summer break, it would be a great opportunity!!

Thanks,

Do your own Research: https://www.google.com/search?q=arma+2+mac+os&oq=Arma+2+MAC&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.10951j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The following is posted on behalf of @greywulf58

Posted 14 minutes ago

Good morning,

This is the third time I've tried posting this topic to the correct forum. Hopefully, this is the right one. I am not trying to flame the forums with this question but I really do need some help.

I had to take almost a seven year hiatus from playing after my wife passed away in 2014 and my old computer crashed permanently. I want to get back into this simulation (I don't refer to it as a game) and I am contemplating buying this refurbished system as I can't afford one of the more expensive mega gaming computers. Here are the specs:

System: HP 8300

CPU: 3.2 GHz (can be over-clocked to 3.6 GHz) Core i5 3470

Memory: 8 GB ddr3_sdram running at 1333 MHz (not sure of brand)

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 with 4 Gb of RAM

Storage: 1 TB HDD 7200 rpm (not sure of brand)

Max screen resolution is 4K

I don't mind running the games at lower resolutions but if this system can't even handle those requirements I would rather not waste the money on it. If it isn't worth purchasing, I will just wait until I get the money needed to purchase a better machine.

R/

Chris

2 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

The following is posted on behalf of @greywulf58

First, I want to thank FallujahMedic for steering me in the right direction as far as to where I should have posted this topic.

Secondly, I have decided to wait on purchasing a computer that could handle the ArmA 2/OA. I've waited seven years, what is a month or two more?

R/

Chris.

• Like 1