Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Unfortunately, no matter of what GFX card you will get, your CPU will bottleneck it.

The corsair H series cooling systems are not all that noisy. For the cooling it provides, you can't get better.

A 256 SSD would do for both OS and A2/3. If you want better get another identical SSD and raid them.

Well, http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx says my CPU is fine. What do you mean

Hello people, Im new to the arma series and a average gamer. I want to buy a new pc but Im not sure to buy which one.

I read lots of posts here but Im not really experienced with pc gaming and hardware so most of the things I read is abracadabra for me. For me its not important to run games on the highest settings so medium will do fine for me. Games like arma2 and battlefield 3.

These are my choices:

699,- euros

Mobo:MSI H77MA-G43

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.10 GHz or Intel Core i5 2320 (4x 3000 MHz) Quad Core

RAM: 8 GB DDRIII 1333MHz

Videocard: ATI HD 7770 1024MB DDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX 11)

769,- euros

Mobo: MSI 990FXA-GD65

CPU: AMD FX-4100 ( 4x 3600 Mhz ) Quad Core

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD 7770 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX11)

Are these pc's good for gaming and for the upcoming years? and is the pc of 769,- euro much better then the one of 699,-?

The corsair H series cooling systems are not all that noisy. For the cooling it provides, you can't get better.

A 256 SSD would do for both OS and A2/3. If you want better get another identical SSD and raid them.

Cheers man!

Hello people, Im new to the arma series and a average gamer. I want to buy a new pc but Im not sure to buy which one.

I read lots of posts here but Im not really experienced with pc gaming and hardware so most of the things I read is abracadabra for me. For me its not important to run games on the highest settings so medium will do fine for me. Games like arma2 and battlefield 3.

These are my choices:

699,- euros

Mobo:MSI H77MA-G43

CPU: Intel Core i5-3450 3.10 GHz or Intel Core i5 2320 (4x 3000 MHz) Quad Core

Videocard: ATI HD 7770 1024MB DDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX 11)

769,- euros

Mobo: MSI 990FXA-GD65

CPU: AMD FX-4100 ( 4x 3600 Mhz ) Quad Core

Videocard: AMD Radeon HD 7770 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX11)

Are these pc's good for gaming and for the upcoming years? and is the pc of 769,- euro much better then the one of 699,-?

First one is the better choice, cpu is much faster, important for arma.

First one is the better choice, cpu is much faster, important for arma.

Alright, so if I wil buy the first one.

Arma 2: which one of the CPU do I need to choose ? the Intel Core i5-3450 3.10 GHz or Intel Core i5 2320 (4x 3000 MHz) Quad Core

Battlefield 3: which one of the videocards do I need to choose ? the ATI HD 7770 1024MB DDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX 11)

The 3450 is a bit faster, slightly higher clockspeed, slightly more efficient per clock.

I think the 6850 beats the 7770 in nearly every benchmark, might be better, try and find some benchmarks to make sure.

Alright, so if I wil buy the first one.

Arma 2: which one of the CPU do I need to choose ? the Intel Core i5-3450 3.10 GHz or Intel Core i5 2320 (4x 3000 MHz) Quad Core

Battlefield 3: which one of the videocards do I need to choose ? the ATI HD 7770 1024MB DDR5 or AMD Radeon HD 6850 (1024 MB GDDR5 - DX 11)

Get i5 3450 and HD 6850.

Can you Run it?

For those that have the question if your PC can or will run Arma2, and the upcoming Arm3, this tool will tell you if it can or cannot.

It will scan your computer of your hardware and then list the hardware components that meet the requirements of the game or exceed it,

if any component fails it will make suggestions as to what you can do.

Before you scan of course there is a drop down menu of games to choose from, just pick the game and then go from there.

Heres the program check it out,hope it helps you get you situated to play.

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/intro.aspx

Maybe this could be reposted somewhere in this forum to help those who could use this tool.

Never trust some tool, just find out what cpu, gpu and how much ram you have.

Well i know what i have, i built my computer, and its dead on for me, so up to you if you want to use it or not, its not a cure all,

but for those that are computer illiterate, lazy, or dont know any better, this is a start.

Plus the tool is already on the first post as I just seen.

I was wondering will this gaming rig play arma 2 on high/very high settings not maxed out though

intel core i5 2400 k

gtx 550 ti

8 GB ram

Please state your opinions

never seen a 2400K, is it a 2500K?

550 Ti is a bit on the light side, but should run fine as long as the gpu heavy settings aren't too high.

2400K CPU existed, however 2400 and 2400T is more common ;-)

basically, SB provide decent IPC/Watt/bucks ratio for Arma2, while IB remove quite dangerous errors in CPU, along with TDP polishing.

First let me say I am a complete noob when it comes to pc gaming. But this game has caught my eye and I'm eager to give it a try. So I'm looking for a budget pc that will play this game well. So please pc gamers let me know if this will play it smoothly.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Black-Pavilion-p6-2133w-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Quad-Core-A6-3620-Accelerated-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-with-Wi/19714392?findingMethod=rr

That's what I am looking at and also I will be using my 32in lcd tv as my monitor. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

not likely. arma 2 is particularly heavy on CPU, so I'm afraid k10 based apu will fail you. the integrated GPU doesn't even satisfy the recommended hardware requirements, not to mention the actual requirement.

is there no way the budget can be increased slightly?

if not, I recommend that you'd build one yourself. I3-2120+b75+hd6870 should be manageable :)

The biggest problem is the slow CPU and the onboard graphics. You eventually may be able to run the game, but it wouldn't be fun.

I merged your thread into this one, take a look around what other people here use or recommend. :)

I've got to decide whether to put my Phenom II X3 720 in my brother's PC or wait until I get his faulty Athlon II X4 640 replaced. Which of those would be better for Arma2/3? I know the Athlon II X4 has an extra core but the Phenom II X3 is unlocked so easier to overclock and I think it has a bigger L2 cache as well.

This is only my spare PC which my friends use when we play LAN games and my main PC has a Phenom II X4 955, so no need to tell me that neither of those two processors are ideal for Arma and I should get something better ;)

I've got to decide whether to put my Phenom II X3 720 in my brother's PC or wait until I get his faulty Athlon II X4 640 replaced. Which of those would be better for Arma2/3? I know the Athlon II X4 has an extra core but the Phenom II X3 is unlocked so easier to overclock and I think it has a bigger L2 cache as well.

This is only my spare PC which my friends use when we play LAN games and my main PC has a Phenom II X4 955, so no need to tell me that neither of those two processors are ideal for Arma and I should get something better ;)

A friend in our group reckons one of the more reliable is PassMark..

Taken from PassMarks CPU Benchmarks 2012..

Phenom II x 3 720 = score 2553 i.e. mid to high range, rank 399

Athlon II x 4 640 = score 3651 i.e. high end, rank 255

Phenom II x 4 955 = score 3906 i.e. high end, rank 227.

Just cpu based scores, depends on whats with it for gaming of course.

A friend in our group reckons one of the more reliable is PassMark..

Taken from PassMarks CPU Benchmarks 2012..

Phenom II x 3 720 = score 2553 i.e. mid to high range, rank 399

Athlon II x 4 640 = score 3651 i.e. high end, rank 255

Phenom II x 4 955 = score 3906 i.e. high end, rank 227.

Just cpu based scores, depends on whats with it for gaming of course.

Ah thanks, that's interesting. I'll definitely give my brother the Phenom II X3 then as he'll only be using his PC as a HTPC and for Internet, Office, etc.

The Athlon II X4 is much closer to my Phenom II X4 so perhaps that will make the overall experience (loading times, etc) more equal between the two machines. Mind you, I plan to get a SSD for my main machine sometime, so that will blow that idea out the water again ;) Of course, when playing LAN games the main machine has to do the server duties as well, so that's extra load that the Athlon II X4 won't have to deal with but then again the Phenom II X4 is overclocked to 3.8Ghz. The Phenom II X4 machine has a 6950 2GB whilst the other machine only has a 6850 1GB but then the latter only runs on my TV at 720P, whilst the former runs on my 1080P monitor, so that probably balances things out somewhat.

Passmark is just a multithreaded benchmark like cinebench, with games that are well multithreaded they'll perform about the same, with games that arent the phenom II x3 might be a bit faster.

Passmark weighs multi-threaded performance as much as grunt-per-core. Well, we all know that ArmA does not utillise that many cores efficiently

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see if Arma3 use multithreading better than Arma2. Still, considering the most taxing thing my brother will be doing is playing and compressing video, I think the X3 720 will be sufficient for him and the X4 640 will be more suitable for my spare gaming PC. I've never tried overclocking the X4 640 but I dare say I can get it up a bit by increasing the FSB, as I have a pretty heavy duty heatsink. I haven't had the X3 720 overclocked in some time now so I can't recall what I managed to get that up to before.

Turns out the processor I have is the Athlon II X4 630, not 640. I found this review which shows the Phenom II X3 720 does noticeably better in games than the 630 due to the L3 Cache http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon-ii-x4-630_6.html#sect0 (not to mention being a better/easier overclocker) so maybe I should hang on to that after all.