Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi, I was wondering how Arma II and Arma II: Operation Arrowhead would run on a laptop with the following specs:

2nd gen Intel Core i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit

6GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M - 1GB (For QUAD Core CPU)

Cheers to anyone who replies.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M

That gpu is only as fast as the minimum requirement. It'll run on minimum settings, but not well.

If you already own the laptop try arma2:free to see for yourself.

Oh damn.

What about the same but change the graphics card to:

AMD Radeon HD 7670M DDR3 1GB

That one is about 25% to 30% faster. The 525 is not as terribe as I originally thought.

I was comparing here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

anyway, on notebookcheck the scores of a 550m and a 7670m are about the same, but in the hierarchy chart there's a huge gap. dunno how they tested. a 550 is a 525 with 25% higher clockspeed.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-525M.43889.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7670M.69483.0.html

anyway, the 7670 seems to get close to recommended. should be ok for 720p - ish resolutions.

my laptop is core i5, 8gb ram, and nvidia 630M...(2gb)...

i can run arma 2 reinforcements/combined ops lite normal to high settings...a few hiccups here and there but can be done away with a number of tricks i found here in the armaholic site.

Sorry for bugging again, but i'm looking at laptops and want to make sure that I get it right so that i can run system intensive games such as Arma II Combined Ops.

How does this setup sound:

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

8GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 7730M DDR3 2GB

Heres a link to the laptop itself if that helps

I cant find much info on the video card at the moment.

I really appreciate any help.

Edited by LDBertie

Sorry for bugging again, but i'm looking at laptops and want to make sure that I get it right so that i can run system intensive games such as Arma II Combined Ops.

8GB RAM

I would recommend throwing in an SSD, but the CPU is fine, it will have no problems, the GPU will be the bottleneck, it is on par with an Nvidia 640M which is still a decent card but dont expect everything on High/Ultra. It will run smoothly with some tweaked settings on med-high I'd imagine. Here's a link to the GPU in the gaming list. You can compare it to other cards. Just search for your card: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

8GB RAM

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7730M.72678.0.html

only one benchmark result yet but it looks pretty fast for a notebook gpu. 1700 instead of 1200 points (with the 7670) in 3dmark 11, about 40% faster.

I'll admit I'm new to the forum. Played the game at my friends house this weekend and became immediately addicted. I found it easier than any game I have ever played due to the slower pace. I currently don't have a gaming computer but do have 3000 put aside for a rainy day. Well here is that rainy day just wanted to know if this setup would run ARMA 2 and obviously 3 in the future on ultra high settings.

Intel Core i7 3930K 6 Core 12MB 3.2GHZ Hyperthreading Unlocked

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme E-ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 5PCI-E16 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Signature Dual GPU 915MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 3XDVI Mini-DP PCI-E DX11 Video Card

(32 gb of ram) G.SKILL F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL Ripjawsz 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Sandy Bridge E 1.5V Memory Kit

Thanks in advance and if this is the wrong section please move.

I'll admit I'm new to the forum. Played the game at my friends house this weekend and became immediately addicted. I found it easier than any game I have ever played due to the slower pace. I currently don't have a gaming computer but do have 3000 put aside for a rainy day. Well here is that rainy day just wanted to know if this setup would run ARMA 2 and obviously 3 in the future on ultra high settings.

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme E-ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 5PCI-E16 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

EVGA GeForce GTX 690 Signature Dual GPU 915MHZ 4GB 6.0GHZ GDDR5 3XDVI Mini-DP PCI-E DX11 Video Card

(32 gb of ram) G.SKILL F3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL Ripjawsz 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Sandy Bridge E 1.5V Memory Kit

do you really want to spend that much? arma 2 only uses up to 3 cores effectively, so spending all that on an socket2011 sixcore might not be the best idea when the socket1155 quads are so much cheaper and perform identical. Also, a 690 is a 2-in-1 gpu which means you get the hassle of dualgpu but at slightly less performance than real dualgpu at similar cost. 32GB is also overkill.

arma 3 might be able to make use of a sixcore, but if it can do that it can also use a quad very effectively. It'll run well on a fast quadcore.

unless you want the best performance at any price I'd advise getting a 3570K, nice aftermarket cooler, Z77 based motherboard, 8GB ram, gtx670 (or 680 if you want to spend more).

you cant max out arma 2 on any rig btw, arma allows some ridiculous settings.

Will I see any difference if I buy 4 gb more ram?

not in fps, but you might in reduced stutter, loadtimes etc. in battlefield 3 the loadtime in between maps is very low for 8GB users and takes ages for 4GB.

anyway, ram is dirt cheap, a 2500K setup deserves at least 8GB :P

Edited by Leon86

overkill

Totally.

If you want to enjoy the game at it's most:

replace Intel Core i7 3930K by i5-3570K

replace Asus Rampage Extreme MegaDeath UberL33t bullsh1t with a mid-range z77 (€150)

replace EVGA GeForce GTX 690 with AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB (€260)

But with the hundreds that you've just saved, add:

SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (€250)

TrackIR 5 plus TrackClip PRO (€150)

Headphones with mic: Test : Sennheiser PC 350 (€150)

Switch the 690 for 2 x 680 or 2 x 670. T00fer (2 GPUs on one PCB) cards are often problematic. You also maintain some level of redundancy if one card fails.

Stick with the 6 core and the X79 platform, while A2 does not effectively make use of more than 4 cores, it's a good bet A3 will (and other titles already do, BF3 for example).

32GB is useless for gaming, go with 8 or 16 max (if you suddenly develop an interest in Photoshop etc, you can add more later).

Otherwise, all good :D

PS: Make sure you get an SSD (or 2), the prices have come down alot lately with the 256GB Crucial C4 @ ~$200.00 and the 512GB @ ~$400.00.

Edited by BangTail

Will this laptop run ArmA II on its lowest settings:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2359664&Sku=H24-15271&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001b-_-CatId_17_H24-15271

I need one for school, but I would really like it to be able to at least play ArmA II. I don't care about how it looks, I just want it to run smoothly enough to play.

Will this laptop run ArmA II on its lowest settings:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2359664&Sku=H24-15271&cm_re=Homepage-_-Spot%2001b-_-CatId_17_H24-15271

I need one for school, but I would really like it to be able to at least play ArmA II. I don't care about how it looks, I just want it to run smoothly enough to play.

I looked around for benchmarks.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7470M.67752.0.html

seems a renamed 6490 but with slightly slower memory, slightly above 6450 in performance.

then I looked up the 6450 here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

It's about as fast as the minimum requirements. you'll be able to run it, just.

Dont even think about native resolution, I just tried arma 2 free on a 7600GT (my mediacenter pc, very similar peformance level, look it up in the hierarchy chart) and it has to go down to 800x600 before it's playable.

Just added 4 more gigs of RAM so I have in total 8 gb ram. I use Arma II launcher should I change the max memory settings? I used max 2048 should I disable this option or should I keep it as before?

And finally how can I best use Ram memory now? Should I create a Ram disk?

nah, just ignore it, windows will use all availabe memory to cache files you acces often, and use it as a write buffer for the harddisk (nice for unrarring stuff).

to see how much memory is really used go to the task manager, peformance, click resource monitor, memory. keep it on long enough and files you use often (like the arma maps if you play often) go into memory. something like this: http://tweakers.net/ext/f/efpoi1rE1aMyn7wCu6fuQ1pU/full.png

I'm looking for a new PC that I can play Arma 2 and possibly other games on, so since I don't have much experience with how much better processors and graphics cards are than others I was wondering if I posted the specs on here that someone could tell me if the are sufficient to play arma 2 and other games smoothly, if they aren't could you please post links to a webpage for a computer that would but isn't too expensive, I would prefer it to cost around £300 but £500 is my maximum.

Intel Core Celeron G530 Dual Core CPU 2.4GHz

AMD HD6570 1GB PCI-E Direct X11

Heres the link for it.

http://ebuyer.com/369702-cyberpower-...ng-pc-ecc01112

Can someone also tell me if this would run it smoothly. (partly because some of the info is a mess but from my experience it seems good for the price.)

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&sugexp=ciatsh&cp=8&gs_id=7p&xhr=t&q=gaming+pc&safe=off&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1366&bih=664&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8628717101916393509&sa=X&ei=wOH6T6S3IMmphAeUj4nUBg&sqi=2&ved=0CIsBEPMCMAM

Edited by oOShinigamiOo

sufficient to play, on lowest settings, on low resolution, 1024x768 or something.

if you're on a budget it's best to build your own, takes a bit longer but you get much more performance for the price and you'll be able to take future upgrades into account.

sufficient to play, on lowest settings, on low resolution, 1024x768 or something.

if you're on a budget it's best to build your own, takes a bit longer but you get much more performance for the price and you'll be able to take future upgrades into account.

is that the same for the second link?

is that the same for the second link?

yup, the fx series doesnt have good per-core performance, that "quad" peforms like an i3 dualcore. The gpu is terrible as well, probly cant buy slower if you tried.

yup, the fx series doesnt have good per-core performance, that "quad" peforms like an i3 dualcore. The gpu is terrible as well, probly cant buy slower if you tried.

thanks, i'll keep looking, if i cant then i suppose i'll build my own, I do at least have experience with that from college. if you know any good sites for buying components that would be great.