Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

From what I've gleaned from others here, the 4870x2 is one of the few 't00fer' cards (from either camp) that runs ArmA 2 well so you should be good with your specs.

I agree that should run the game well, some of the LOD issues will go if you can get ArmA on to the SSD. You have to be ruthless with the other programs that automatically install on the C: drive. I have used a program called "steam mover" to shunt things about from drive to drive but still have them run correctly.

When setting the game up the thing to remember is that "normal" is Normal! I have a friend with a less than stellar PC and he like flying and want a long view distance. He has turned off shadows. He spends most of his time in the air and has little use for them.

I spend all of my time with my boots on the ground so run the game with much higher settings but with a sub 2K view distance so it all looks lush.

I just had my GPU die on me yesterday :( so im looking at getting a new one and am thinking about getting an SSD as well, im looking at spending about $450 aus$

these are what im looking at;

SSD: http://www.tech4u.com.au/kingston-64gb-ssdnow-v-100-128mb-cache-sata2-trim-igc-p219789.html $160

GTX 560 Ti: http://www.tech4u.com.au/evga-pcie-gtx560-ti-1024mb-900mhz-sc-p254431.html $290

Would I be better off dropping the SSD and spending the money on a better GPU for around $450?

CPU: i7 920

PS: 600w

not really no...unless you play on very high resolutions (above the 1080p). See if you can grab a 2GB 560 TI btw, price difference is in 20-30$ range

Hm, the 96 GB version of that ssd is cheaper here than the 64 GB in that shop, arent there any cheaper shops? I have the 96GB version of that ssd in my laptop, runs a whole lot better than the 160GB 5400rpm disk it came with :)

560Ti cards perform great in arma. The more expensive cards perform a bit better but are much more expensive. Not worth it if you're on a budget imo.

Thanks for the advice guys, will definitly go for the 2gb thanks Pufu, I had a look at another online shop and found a GTX 560 Ti 2gb for $334

and a 96gb SSD for $169

I think we generally pay a bit more for hardware over here than other parts of the world, the $ pretty good at the moment maybe i should be looking at ordering from over seas?

i assume the resulting price to pay will be the same or more if shipping is taken into acount. Might worth a quick look though

I would go for the Gainward Phantom 2GB - 318$ if you ask me :P But that is personal preference.

Edited by PuFu

Hello again Everyone .

as mentioned, I bought this card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130683

I totally forgot about my cpu bottlenecking my old 9800 GT...when buying that card, so, in games like arma 2, I still only get 30-40 FPS on medium/low settings. But on games like Two Worlds 2, I can play maxed out and it runs flawlessly!

Here are my current specs:

EVGA GTX 560TI 2 GB

2.2 GHZ AMD Phenom Quad Core (Bottleneck)

6 GB DDR2 memory

a old Gateway Mobo (it's running everything fine).

But, here are my questions:

1. I'm looking at this CPU (I know it's not an I5-2500K which is the "best" gaming cpu out there)...but, Like mentioned in past posts, I'm on a budget (I'm only a teen) .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ab=true&Page=2

This is compatible with my current Mobo, which is an AM2+ supported Mobo, but people have said this is compatible with it so, *woot* *woot*. (btw, that is a good cpu correct)?...and yes, I know "There is a Bulldozer cpu coming out sometime this year"...like many have mentioned...but I wont be able to buy a brand spanking new cpu.

Now, my main question is...is getting DDR3 Memory and a new mobo (I'll end up getting these late this year, when I want to SLI and what not, if they aren't that important)...are those that important? or should I just focus on the GPU and CPU for right now? and wait till around late 2011 to get a new mobo and memory?

I'm curious if anyone can tell me what a big difference it'll make (Mainly gaming wise) if I get DDR3 over DDR2 memory, and a new mobo.

Because it would end up costing me 300+ to get a new cpu, mobo, and DDR3 memory...as to just 140 for the cpu...and just stick with DDR2 memory and my current mobo.

If anyone could answer my questions, I'd be delighted!

Thanks,

-TodaysKiller

Your link is not working.

Buy Phenom II 955 and OC it. It is the easiest and cheapest way for you to get some more boost without updating your whole rig but don't expect miracles. If you are going to upgrade your whole rig, yes go for SB. It is the best you can have for A2.

This review tells you all you need to know:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/778-11/arma-2.html

Hello,

During research of upgrading my computer for Arma, I was checking the benchmark between GTX560Ti and HD6950 and seen a french benchmark with a strange result:

on Arma2, HD6950 2GB is slower than the 1 GB version. :confused:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/818-5/2-go-vs-1-go.html

To get back on my subject here is my current install:

- Asus P5Q SE2

- Intel Core 2 Q8300 2.5GHz @ 3.2 GHz

- 2 x 2 Go RAM DDR2 1066Mhz Corsair XMS2 5-6-6-18

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145247

- ATI HD4850 (512Mo)

- 60Go SSD corsair F60 for windows + 40Go SSD corsair F40 for Arma

- PSU Tagan 380w (2003-2004..)

The first advice I get about Arma perf improvement is to renew the graphic car which is really tight with its 512 MB.

I was thinking on going on:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121431&Tpk=Asus%20EAH6950%202Gb

or

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=458

(the only 2GB GTX560 Ti I could reach from my usual retailer)

And I'm worrying also about the Power supply, and old 380w is already on limit?

Your link doesnt work. Anyways, if you can get a Phenom II 955 working on your pc it's a good upgrade, sixcores are useless when gaming, even with arma.

A new board and ram will not get you noticable improvement. Cpu speed has a far greater influence on performance than ram. A motherboard's influence on performance is usually limited to how far it lets you overclock.

Thanks for the replies...

Well, I just found out my Mobo can only support up to 95w...and these CPU's are 125w...does that mean my Mobo can't support them?

Or does that just mean how much W's in my power supply it will use?

Edited by todayskiller

Look on the site of the mobo manufacturer to see what cpu's are supported and what bios is needed.

if tdp is a problem, even an Athlon II X3 455 will be much faster than what you have now.

Processor Support

Supports AMD® Socket AM2+ (940 pin), AMD Phenom™ (95 W), Athlon™ 64 X2, Athlon 64, and Sempron™ processors

Looks Like I'm gonna have to buy a new mobo...right?

Edited by todayskiller

probably, gateway didn't bother to make a bios for the new processors it seems.

make sure to get an AM3+ board (some of them even have sli support) if you go the amd route.

If you go intel: Z68 + 2500K is the way to go if you have the budget.

Edited by Leon86

Hello All,

My name is Brandon and I am new to these forums. I am in the process of building my first gaming rig. The rest of my parts should arrive this Friday and Arma 2 OA is the first game I am going to try to play.

I would like to know if my computer will be able to run this game? All of my specs are in my sig below. I tried to make sure that the parts I ordered would run, but I am no expert. If anybody has a similar build, could the please let me know how the game plays?

Thanks sooo much. I hope to see everybody in game:hyper:

Those parts arent the best choice price/performance wise but yes, it'll run fine, you rig is far above system requirements.

Dont expect to max out everything, you cant do that on any pc and expect reasonable framerates, just start on mostly normal, shadows high, 3000 viewdistance and work your way up/down to get the most eyecandy you can run fluently. Or just play on normal. Arma looks pretty good regardless and it isnt really about the looks anyway.

Thanks Leon86 for the reply. I will make sure to try the settings that you mentioned. I am just happy that I will be able to play this sim. It looks awesome:)

thanks for the help froggyluv. I wanted to get the i7 2600k but I did not know at the time when I bought my mobo that the processor had to match the socket on the mobo lol.

When I started to look at processors the i7 960 seemed like a good one. For somebody who always had to game on a laptop, I think I will be happy:)

Strange, maybe its because on X58 you can run tri-sli / crossfire. The 960 has more memory bandwith and hyperthreading but those things dont really help in games.

I know i'll be able to run arma but i'm wondering what frame rate i could achieve

Specs

MOBO:Gigabyte Z68A-D3

CPUIntel i5 2500K OC'ed @ 4.7GHz

RAM8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS3

GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB

Any help is apprieciated. :)

Strange, maybe its because on X58 you can run tri-sli / crossfire. The 960 has more memory bandwith and hyperthreading but those things dont really help in games.

memory bandiwidth yes, hyperthreading...no

I know i'll be able to run arma but i'm wondering what frame rate i could achieve

Specs

MOBO:Gigabyte Z68A-D3

CPUIntel i5 2500K OC'ed @ 4.7GHz

RAM8.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS3

GPUNVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB

Any help is apprieciated. :)

Should be decent and oh, if you get arma to run stable with that 4.7 OC, please lend me your settings :p

Hello again everyone, I'm caught in a pickle again...lol

Here was the Mobo I've been looking at for a while.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128510

UNTIL:

I found this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-131-637&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4

Now, both of these are SLI Ready, and Support AM3 Cpu's and support X6's (which is probably what I'm gonna get, cpu wise).

BUT, I had some questions about them...The Asus one says... 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (single @ x8; dual @ x8/x8 mode)

While the Gigabyte one says... PCI Express 2.0 x16 3 (x16, x8, x4)

Now, Is there a big difference between using X8, compared to x16? (Both of the Mobo's use X8 in SLI)...But for now, I'm sticking to this one card, so would X8 be a lot different than x16? Or does it not matter much? (Gaming wise).

Also, Might as well ask now :)

But, Would the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T BE (3.3GHZ, but 3.7 Ghz Turbo Charged) be better than a AMD Phenom II X4 980 BE (3.7 GHZ)...I'm talking about Future proofing it, because if the X4 has only a slight performance upgrade from the X6, Then I'll just go with the X6...Since 6 cores will be better future wise. :)