Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

As far as I know there are no phenom II's running as low as 2.2 Ghz, only the mobiles variants go that low. You can see what cpu you have with cpu-z

Leon, i have installed the Cooler Master Koeling Hyper 212 Plus.

And i overclocked my processor again to 3.8

It runs stable, i have a slight increase in performance. I now have 35-36C idle. And when playing Arma II OA i get around 45C. My case has a better airflow now. So far i didnt had to adjust the voltage. I may overclock again to 4.0 and hopefully without problem.

I have GTX 580 and core i7 2.80 gHz, my benchmark is sometimes 42 and other times 45 fps. is that normal?

I have GTX 580 and core i7 2.80 gHz, my benchmark is sometimes 42 and other times 45 fps. is that normal?

simple answer is "yes" however it would help if you were to include some details like the game settings...

A screen shot like this would be good:

settingwithmorphrunning.th.jpg

To take a screen shot download FRAPS then after editing upload it using Imageshack and post it here.

Also some more information about your computer, motherboard, RAM speed and type, that type of thing. Speccy or CPU-z can help too as it can create a link like this:

1897018.png

You are running a quad core i7 it is known problem with these CPU's and ArmA. The game dose not like Hyper-Threading

It can be turned off in the BIOS of your computer

then you might want to look in to the possibility of overclocking your CPU because it's running so slowly.

Edited by PendragonUK

Leon, i have installed the Cooler Master Koeling Hyper 212 Plus.

And i overclocked my processor again to 3.8

It runs stable, i have a slight increase in performance. I now have 35-36C idle. And when playing Arma II OA i get around 45C. My case has a better airflow now. So far i didnt had to adjust the voltage. I may overclock again to 4.0 and hopefully without problem.

might want to do an 8-hour prime95 run before you declare it stable. If it is I guess you have a good chip, not many do 3.8 on stock voltage.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 AM ----------

You are running a quad core i7 it is known problem with these CPU's and ArmA. The game dose not like Hyper-Threading

It can be turned off in the BIOS of your computer

that problem was solved ages ago, just make sure to run the latest patch.

Leon, is there a harm if i raise the voltage slightly? I played Arma OA yesterday, for couple of hours. I once had artifacts in the screen because my videocard went hot. I noticed that it was on 50% fan, and since then it is good.

Raising cpu volts doesnt fix artifacts on the gpu. You should only raise cpu volts if the cpu is unstable.

If the gpu gets too hot for your liking you can modify fan behaviour with a tool like evga precision (nvidia cards) or msi afterburner (ati cards)

No i mean raising voltage for CPU, i fixed the gpu heat by adjusting the speed to 100%. It now stays under the 50, normally it was above 50C.

If it's stable theres no need for extra voltage, if you want 4Ghz you'll probably need to.

2x the clockspeed gets you 2x the heat, 2x the voltage gets you 4x the heat.

If you take a bit more realistic numbers say up the voltage by 1.10x you get 1.10^2=1.21x the power consumption.

processor temperature - system temperature is proportional to power consumption so you can guesstimate your new temps.

Edited by Leon86

I put it back from 3.8 to 3.6 because i had a couple of times that the game froze. Before i overclocked i didnt have that problems, looks it wasnt running stable after all.

8 hours of prime95 is usually a good indication of stability. You can probably get 3.8 stable below 1.4 volts and keep temps under the safe 60 degrees.

I am downloading it at the moment, but could it be coincidence? that i got artifacts and game freezing after i overclocked to 3.8?

usually a freeze is caused by an unstable cpu, artifacts by an unstable gpu, although that also causes freezes sometimes.

sometimes a processor is prime stable but freezes in a game because the pci-e controller is in the cpu as well, during prime it isnt really stressed.

My games froze a couple of times, i got like those triangles in screen like the ones you see sometimes in armaII with ati cards. I put it back again, so far no freezing. Maybe it wasnt stable after all. Where do i adjust the voltage?

i find that in the bios also?

It depends on what brand your motherboard is and what processor. I'd be leaving the CPU Core voltage alone and turn up the QPI VTT Voltage 0.025v as its more accurate and doesn't jump up in such large numbers. Then retest if still unstable turn it up to 0.050v retest till it works. My CPU required 1.3v on the CPU Core Voltage then plus 0.100V on the QPI VTT.

This chart gives you Each brand motherboard definition of settings as some call it QPI VTT others CPU VTT etc

http://www.techreaction.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Bloomfield_terminology.jpg

Also check out this guide.

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/09/07/3-step-overclocking-guide-bloomfield-and-gulftown/

Yes, every overclock related setting can be found in the bios. A lot of mobo manufacturers have tools that let you change nearly everything in windows as well but those are less reliable.

So guys, I just got my gaming computer up and running after having lived in an apartment where I couldn't really fit it for a year or so. I haven't played ARMA 2 in a while and I'm excited to get it started, but I've lost my discs! So before I buy ARMA 2 CO off of Sprocket to get testing all the cool new mods... Has performance optimization improved any further since OA's release?

your question is very vague. Optimization depends on a lot of things. A lot of users complain about things not running 100FPS per second @ 10k view distance, or they forget about the ATOC settings...Might wanna post your specs either way.

For me, the game runs smoothly (no SSD atm) on both my computers (specs in the sig)

Sorry about that, I am not expecting things to run at flash speeds with the configuration I have, I am hoping to pull off medium settings across the range, some on low naturally. The main thing I am after is being able to have a decent viewdistance, but not expecting to get over 4-5k. The issue I had in the past was mainly LOD's switching too slowly and textures popping in especially when lots of things were happening at the same time, like in the opening missions in the OA campaign.

My specs, somewhat upgraded from when last I had it to play OA, upgrades mainly geared towards running ARC GIS and other software critical to my studies better. The older components that I had when I played ARMA 2 last are in parentheses.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 3.4 ghz (older, AMD Phenom II X3 at 2.8 ghz stock and 3.1 overclocked)

12 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM (older, 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM)

ATI 4870x2

Corsair SSD 60 gb (not sure if I'll be able to fit ARMA2 on this one, got so many assets for ARC GIS on it at the moment that I still want to fiddle with)

Two Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 gb harddrives

Windows 7

viewdistance is associated with CPU power. Anyhow, you PC should be able to run the game decently i'd say

Sorry about that, I am not expecting things to run at flash speeds with the configuration I have, I am hoping to pull off medium settings across the range, some on low naturally. The main thing I am after is being able to have a decent viewdistance, but not expecting to get over 4-5k. The issue I had in the past was mainly LOD's switching too slowly and textures popping in especially when lots of things were happening at the same time, like in the opening missions in the OA campaign.

My specs, somewhat upgraded from when last I had it to play OA, upgrades mainly geared towards running ARC GIS and other software critical to my studies better. The older components that I had when I played ARMA 2 last are in parentheses.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition - 3.4 ghz (older, AMD Phenom II X3 at 2.8 ghz stock and 3.1 overclocked)

12 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM (older, 8 gigabytes of DDR3 RAM)

ATI 4870x2

Corsair SSD 60 gb (not sure if I'll be able to fit ARMA2 on this one, got so many assets for ARC GIS on it at the moment that I still want to fiddle with)

Two Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 gb harddrives

Windows 7

From what I've gleaned from others here, the 4870x2 is one of the few 't00fer' cards (from either camp) that runs ArmA 2 well so you should be good with your specs.