Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

@simpsoncf

That laptop is far more powerful.

It's got a decent quad core (rather than the dual core i7 2617M) and runs at a much higher frequency. The graphics card is also quite a lot better. 4GB of RAM is plenty (in A2 you won't gain any FPS by going up to 6GB from 4GB).

That's a pretty good laptop- it should play A2 decently at high settings.

Thank you for your help :) Got the laptop and plays the game fluently on Very High settings!

- THANK YOU!

heya, and sorry for being annoying like this.

I'm maybe gettin' a new GPU in a few months, and I'd like to know what'd be the "best bang for the buck" -deal. The budget is around < 250€.

I really dont care wheter its AMD or Nvidia, just the one that gives me the best performance for the price. I'm currently using 4890, and it gives me good results, but I'm not satisfied with just "good". I want to reach out to even sweeter graphics. Currently my specs:

-AMD Phenom II X4 @ 3,4Ghz Quad core CPU

-Ati Radeon Sapphire HD4890 with 1GB memory

-4GB DDR5 RAM

-Some random HDD

I'd like to be able to play the game with ~30-60 FPS with viewdistance around 4000-5000, and other settings high-very high.

So, to put it short again: Looking for a high end GPU that gives

me the best possible performance for ArmA2 for around 250€.

Thanks to everyone who tries to help me out.

G'd night everyone

Hey guys, I'm not really getting the performance I would like out of Arma II. These are my specs:

Intel Core i5 2500k

GTX460 768

8 gigs RAM

I'm playing at 1920X1080 (37" LCD TV via HDMI), so that's probably part of it.

However, I saw a few command line settings that were supposed to help with performance... any suggestions? I'm not sure how many FPS I'm getting (I'm at work or I would check it), but it's definitely a bit choppy at normal settings. Fairly smooth at low, but still times of choppiness, especially if I have a lot going on.

@Simpsoncf good to hear mate, glad I could help :)

@Kristian I would either go for a gtx 560 or even better a HD 6950 1GB, depending which best suits your budget. Either will do nicely.

@MadMonkey you've got a great CPU and heaps of RAM, but the problem is your graphics card :( which is limiting your performance.

Check this thread out, it may help. Other than that though you should probably either play on a screen with lower resolution/turn down the resolution or upgrade the graphics card (not a cheap option though).

Edited by SW1

Hey guys, I'm not really getting the performance I would like out of Arma II. These are my specs:

Intel Core i5 2500k

GTX460 768

8 gigs RAM

disable AA

disable ATOC inside arma2.cfg (ATOC=0)

Intel Core i5 2500k

GTX460 768

8 gigs RAM

However, I saw a few command line settings that were supposed to help with performance... any suggestions? I'm not sure how many FPS I'm getting (I'm at work or I would check it), but it's definitely a bit choppy at normal settings. Fairly smooth at low, but still times of choppiness, especially if I have a lot going on.

command line things wont help with your setup. Best thing is just to open the editor, make 30 v 30 battle in a town and adapt settings until it runs and looks acceptable.

I wonder what kind of difference a new HD SSD can make for the game.

Im thinking of buying the Corsair 3, 120 gb SSD and I wonder if it will make any big impact, like none stutter and more smooth game play. What do you think guys?

much likely to help out. I have tried the ramdisk, and the difference was spectacular in terms of overall smoothness. A SSD, even not as fast as ram read write, should reduce the stutters by loading files (models and textures) faster.

I know it is on my tobuy lists

I wonder what kind of difference a new HD SSD can make for the game.

Im thinking of buying the Corsair 3, 120 gb SSD and I wonder if it will make any big impact, like none stutter and more smooth game play. What do you think guys?

Arma 2 has a massive quantity of textures to constantly load and a mechanical HDD simply can't manage :( so regardless of how good your CPU/GPU is there can be quite bad stuttering.

A solid state drive completely fixes this correction goes some way to fixing this- certainly worth having :D

Edited by SW1

I'd like to know how good my CPU (AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3,4 Ghz) is for ArmA2? And does anyone have any experience with the AMD 6950 on ArmA2?

How would this build stack for Arma 2 and Battlefield 3 (for $1287 including shipping)

Gamer Paladin F725

1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Blue )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( None )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [sOCKET-1366] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )

1 x Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - Single Card )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )

1 x Motherboard ( MSI X58A-GD45 )

1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ( Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface )

1 x Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Standard )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

1 x Data Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )

1 x Mouse ( Logitech Internet Mouse )

1 x Monitor ( 19" LCD 1440x900 )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

0 x Speaker System ( None )

0 x Headset ( None )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

A solid state drive completely fixes this- certainly worth having :D

No, they don't - they do help (significantly in most cases) however.

How would this build stack for Arma 2 and Battlefield 3 (for $1287 including shipping)

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7 950 Processor (4x 3.06GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

1 x Memory ( 6 GB [2 GB X3] DDR3-1333 - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - Single Card )

1 x Motherboard ( MSI X58A-GD45 )

1 x Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Standard )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

1 x Data Hard Drive ( 500 GB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

Yeah, that might work BUT, here is my suggestion:

Grab the i7 2600k instead of the 950, same price (or similar) + a P67 chipset MainBoard + a GTX 560 TI instead of 550 TI (do that even if you don't want to change the CPU).

Grab a proper branded PSU instead of that generic one (600 to 800W would do).

As an example, i've recently(last saturday) upgraded my old PC after my old Q6600 failed on me. You can see the specs in my signature (spoiler - 2nd config)

The Gtx 560 requires an upgrade of the power supply and those two add up and the PC becomes out of my price range.

How would the PC I built run Arma 2 and Battlefield 3? like what setting and framerates

Hi guys! I want to know if the matter difference between i7 2600 si i5 2500 in Arma2.

The Gtx 560 requires an upgrade of the power supply and those two add up and the PC becomes out of my price range.

How would the PC I built run Arma 2 and Battlefield 3? like what setting and framerates

A2 ok, B3 most likely medium high.

I understand budgets myself, but i would rather loose the secondary HDD (which you can ADD later and it is much cheaper than changing the video card, and get a proper GTX video card instead of the 550 which is in the mid range.

Guru3d BFBC2 (1920x1080):

550 - 27FPS

560 - 47FPS

Note that while the resolution is higher than the one of the monitor you want to buy, Frostengine upgrades means more demanding GFX cards

EDIT:

Here is my take, using the exact same site configurator - for 1405$ (same options as yours bar the CPU/MB/GPU/RAM/PSU/HDD):

Intel P67 Core i5/i7 Configurator

1 x Case ( Xion Echo Gaming Case - Blue )

0 x Case Lighting ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction ( None )

0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ( None )

1 x Processor ( Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache) )

1 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive ( PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking )

1 x Processor Cooling ( Liquid CPU Cooling System [sOCKET-1155 & 1156] - [Free Upgrade] Standard 120mm Fan )

1 x Memory ( 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand )

1 x Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB - Single Card )

1 x Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by ATI or NVIDIA )

1 x Motherboard ( Gigabyte GA-P67A-D3-B3 )

1 x Power Supply ( 750 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 TRX-750M )

1 x Primary Hard Drive ( 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive )

0 x Data Hard Drive ( None )

1 x Optical Drive ( 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black )

0 x 2nd Optical Drive ( None )

0 x Flash Media Reader / Writer ( None )

0 x Meter Display ( None )

0 x USB Expansion ( None )

1 x Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )

1 x Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )

1 x Operating System ( Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit )

1 x Keyboard ( iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black )

1 x Mouse ( iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse )

0 x 2nd Monitor ( None )

0 x Speaker System ( None )

0 x Headset ( None )

0 x Video Camera ( None )

0 x Case Engraving Service ( None )

1 x Warranty ( Standard Warranty Service - Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )

1 x Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Hi guys! I want to know if the matter difference between i7 2600 si i5 2500 in Arma2.

Can't comment on the i5 2500, all i can say it is that the i7 2600k seems to cope quite well with A2, on par (i have tested with the same GFX card -- gtx 460 and 6970HD) with the (at the time i bought it) a lot more expensive 6core i7 970

Edited by PuFu

I am a beginner and have to choose between i7 2600 and i5 2500 .If you buy the most expensive lot of performance drops?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

thanks PuFu.

I am a beginner and have to choose between i7 2600 and i5 2500 .If you buy the most expensive lot of performance drops?

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

thanks PuFu.

Get the 2500K unless you do a lot of video encoding. Get the K version not the standard as K allows overclocking. Don't say you don't want to overclock because you'll get a masive performance increase and 4.4ghz will be easy-if unsure go to anandtech.com and look up overclocking in forums. Unless you're going to overclcok theres not that much point going sandybridge. Also get a radeon 6950 2gb NOT the 560 as the 2gb video memory really helps in this game.

Edited by Jacky60

Also get a radeon 6950 2gb NOT the 560 as the 2gb video memory really helps in this game.

No - it doesn't - unless you are playing @ 2560 x 1600 and even then, I was fine with the 1.5 GB flavour 580s (that have since been changed to 3GB models).

Only a handful of games with high levels of AA etc push 1.5GB at 2560 FYI and he is gaming at 1440 x 900, which won't push a 1GB card at all.

I would take PuFu's advice and move to the 560 if possible :)

Edited by BangTail

@MadMonkey you've got a great CPU and heaps of RAM, but the problem is your graphics card :( which is limiting your performance.

Check this thread out, it may help. Other than that though you should probably either play on a screen with lower resolution/turn down the resolution or upgrade the graphics card (not a cheap option though).

Drat... I was afraid of that. I didn't want to skimp on anything, but I made the processor my priority so I didn't have much left for a graphics card. I'll have to see what card I can get for a reasonable price that will run it well... I can probably spend $300ish. Might have to upgrade my 640w power supply as well with a better card :o

disable AA

disable ATOC inside arma2.cfg (ATOC=0)

Thanks. I'm running the lowest AA setting (not off) because it makes the trees look MUCH better than when it's completely off... I'll try turning it off completely, at least in desert maps.

Hi guys. I like the ARMAII but I not have a PC . I played with friends. Now I am able to buy a PC. I want to get a monitor with 18, 5 inches and 1366x768 resolution. Good or should I take another larger and more expensive?

Hi guys. I like the ARMAII but I not have a PC . I played with friends. Now I am able to buy a PC. I want to get a monitor with 18, 5 inches and 1366x768 resolution. Good or should I take another larger and more expensive?

I would go for larger (at least 19inch, preferably 22inch or bigger) but it's a case of personal taste, how good your graphics card is and most importantly budget :).

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

I'd like to know how good my CPU (AMD Phenom II x4 @ 3,4 Ghz) is for ArmA2? And does anyone have any experience with the AMD 6950 on ArmA2?

BitTech.com reported 43fps for the 1gb version and 45fps for the 2gb version in A2OA, @1,680 x 1,050 with 4xAA, 16xAF and very high detail when used with an i7 965 @ stock frequency, whereas the gtx560ti got 41fps in the same test.

I bought monitor ASUS LCD 21.5"LED ML228H, 1920x1080 and GPU LEADTEK WinFast GTX560-Ti 1024 DDR5. I want to know if SLI is important in ARma2 or provide any performance gain.

I bought monitor ASUS LCD 21.5"LED ML228H, 1920x1080 and GPU LEADTEK WinFast GTX560-Ti 1024 DDR5. I want to know if SLI is important in ARma2 or provide any performance gain.

Nice choice, Arma 2 looks great in full HD :D

As for your GPU the GTX 560ti is a solid graphics card @ 1920x1080 and should offer good performance.

SLI is only worth considering if you have a very good CPU or a healthy overclock (otherwise the CPU will limit your performance in SLI) and if you are unhappy with your performance with one gtx 560ti. Bear in mind you will need a bigger PSU (at least 800w) if you do choose to SLI two cards.

BitTech.com found that (with an Intel i7 965 CPU @ 3.2Ghz) the gtx 560ti managed 35 fps in A2OA @ 1,920 x 1,080, 4x AA 16x AF and with Very High Detail.

Edited by SW1

I want to know if SLI is important in ARma2 or provide any performance gain.

It scales extremely well in Arma 2.

Edited by BangTail