Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

@Simpsoncf

It's a bit underpowered :( But it should manage to play A2OA on low-medium settings with ok frame rates, and GTA 4 should be fine.

It's got a crazy amount of RAM for a laptop, but the CPU and GPU aren't exceptional.

You'd get alot more for your money in a desktop, but I guess you need the portability.

Edited by SW1

Hey guys I am back to ask whether this will run ARMA 2, and GTA 4 .. and if so what settings do you guys think?

Intel® Core™ i7 2617M 1.5GHz(2.6GHz w/Turbo Boost, 4MB Cache)

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT540 graphics with 1.0GB Video Memory and Optimus

Thank's guys..

- SimpsonCF

Please dont buy a laptop to play games. It may be portable, but playing arma whilst sat on the couch is not the most comfortable position. Spend a bit of money on a decent tower machine, a desk and a comfy chair.

I simply put need a laptop and do not have the sort of money to cover both, SW1, thank you for your response If I may I might put more different options up to see if it would better or worse.

Thank you.

Okay I found another that is the exact same cost,

Intel® Core™ i7 2720QM 2.2GHz (3.3GHz w/Turbo Boost, 6MB Cache)

4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (For an $100 more 6GB would that make a difference? I mean a big difference?)

500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s

1.5GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

- SimpsonCF

Edited by simpsoncf

@simpsoncf

That laptop is far more powerful.

It's got a decent quad core (rather than the dual core i7 2617M) and runs at a much higher frequency. The graphics card is also quite a lot better. 4GB of RAM is plenty (in A2 you won't gain any FPS by going up to 6GB from 4GB).

That's a pretty good laptop- it should play A2 decently at high settings.

Edited by SW1

It won't play ArmA 2 at high settings - not well anyway. The 555 is a budget card.

Edited by BangTail

@simpsoncf

That laptop is far more powerful.

It's got a decent quad core (rather than the dual core i7 2617M) and runs at a much higher frequency. The graphics card is also quite a lot better. 4GB of RAM is plenty (in A2 you won't gain any FPS by going up to 6GB from 4GB).

That's a pretty good laptop- it should play A2 well at high settings.

Thank you! Very good to know, YOU were a lot of help!

I'll let you know how she turns out when she comes in the mail!

- SimpsonCF

what is a good memory that will be compatible with a GIGABYTE GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard??

It won't play ArmA 2 at high settings - not well anyway. The 555 is a budget card.

It's not such a bad GPU, it should easily manage medium and (hopefully) be able to tackle high at playable frames.

Edited by SW1

Any who compare Arma2 performance to Crysis2 performance really don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;1941788']Any who compare Arma2 performance to Crysis2 performance really don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

well, at least they're both dx9 games :)

@Larisano: I understand what you're saying and I would get a new PSU, but I have no idea how to install one and having a tech person install it is very expensive. What's bothering me is all those wires and cables coming out of it and where they each go.

It is pretty accessible to install a PSU. Also I bought a 650Watts PSU for 45euros which is pretty cheap.

It's not such a bad GPU, it should easily manage medium and (hopefully) be able to tackle high at playable frames-->

Just to give some idea of performance

laptopgpuscrysis2.jpg

@SimpsonCF- glad to have helped :D, I hope the new laptop works well.

It might play it on medium but it's a mid range GPU at best and it won't be playing ArmA 2 @ high settings as you implied it would.

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:54 ----------

-Ziggy-;1941788']Any who compare Arma2 performance to Crysis2 performance really don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Indeed.

As well, I take issue with the 'cherry picked' link - No details concerning resolution or what exactly was tested. Those numbers mean absolutely nothing.

Crysis 2 cannot be used for comparison as you rightly pointed out, they are 2 completely different animals.

I would never take the word of a site that thinks the WEI is a valid benchmark (notebookcheck.com)

Edited by BangTail

OK, OK :(

I should have explained myself more clearly.

I was by no means trying to compare the actual performance of GPUs in Crysis 2 to Arma 2OA, I appreciate they are completely different, and that every game is unique, and interacts with different hardware architectures in different ways, meaning performance varies very significantly from game to game.

I posted some Crysis 2 benchmarks, just to give an idea of relative performance, to try and show how the gt 555m compares to other mobile GPUs in general gaming performance, to expand on Bangtail's perfectly reasonable point about the gt 550's performance. It was only a quick, superficial comparison about general performance, and I was in a hurry, so I didn't bother post any further details about the benchmarks such as resolution or settings (which was wrong). Notebookcheck are not a particularly good site and I imagine that their methodology is pretty poor.

I have removed the chart and hope to cause no further offence to the members of the forum :sorry:.

I'm (clearly) not an infallible source and never have claimed to be. I'm just an enthusiast with an interest in computer hardware, and have built several systems which currently play Arma 2 OA, trying to give his opinion.

Defensive rant over. :D

Edited by SW1

No worries bud, I know you were only trying to help the guy out.

No worries bud, I know you were only trying to help the guy out.

Thanks mate

Edited by SW1

It is pretty accessible to install a PSU. Also I bought a 650Watts PSU for 45euros which is pretty cheap.

@ Laqueesha I agree it isn't difficult to install a PSU, there's a good guide for beginners here, which is a few years old yet still correct.

If you do decide to buy a new PSU be careful to avoid very cheap power supplies (especially unbranded ones), although they may seem a good deal, they can reduce the lifespan of your hardware and the power supply may die very quickly. Although more expensive, I would suggest you consider a good PSU from a well known brand such as Corsair, thermaltake etc.

@ Laqueesha I agree it isn't difficult to install a PSU, there's a good guide for beginners here, which is a few years old yet still correct.

If you do decide to buy a new PSU be careful to avoid very cheap power supplies (especially unbranded ones), although they may seem a good deal, they can reduce the lifespan of your hardware and the power supply may die very quickly. Although more expensive, I would suggest you consider a good PSU from a well known brand such as Corsair, thermaltake etc.

Very good advice. I made that mistake, never again.

Hi guys Ive had this question on the back of my head for a while can someone please. What do you guys mean with what resolution we play with? I kinda understand that the bigger the screen the more resolution u would want to obtain a better picture right? I have my pc hooked up to my Sony 46" tv that's full hd 1080p. And also have an acer 22 " monitor that's also 1080p. Does that mean that I should not set my resolution in arma past 1080?. I'm have been playing arma 2 with ok graphics. I know I have to tweak my video setting but can't figure out how to do it right yet. Here are my specs

I7 920

Gtx275

Ssd 60gb

6th of ddr3 ram

they both suck, you'll need a pc with a decent graphics card in it to play arma 2. These machines will not get you playable framerates I think.

LOL, man you are stubborn 75th Ranger :p

Why Best Buy? They are not going to create a good gaming computer for you. I gave you a link to a better gaming PC build factory before :rolleyes:

A friend of mine built one from then during their memorial day sale with these specs:

"I customized it like this:

CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 430 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Side Panel Window [-5]

CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

CS_FAN: Default case fans

FAN: CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan [-6]

FREEBIE_CU1: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Limited Edition Coupon: Total War [+0]

FREEBIE_CU2: FREE! PCI Wireless IEEE 802.11b/g/n 300Mbps PCI Wireless Adapter Network Card [+0]

FREEBIE_VC: Razer Lachesis 3G 4000 DPI Gaming Mouse [+0]

HDD: 750GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+2] (Single Hard Drive)

KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair or Major Brand)

MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Asus P8P67-M Intel P67 Chipset DDR3 mATX Mainboard w/ UEFI, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe x1 & 1 PCI [b3 Stepping] [+62]

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply

RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: * Asus Xonar DG 5.1 Channels PCI Xonar DG Sound Card [+29]

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+26] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

That config will cost $837.00 (excl shipping) after typing in “myspace†(without quotation marks) as coupon code in the cart

You might wanna wait for their next sale :)

Hey guys,

I dont really know anything about computers but I just landed a sick job and was looking into buying a gaming computer, If youve got a minute could you link me some computers that could MAX out Arma 2, and maybe how the computer would stack up for Arma 3 and Battlefield 3.

Thanks in advance

You cant max out arma.

Anyhows, it might help to know where you want to order, no point going to newegg if you live in germany for instance.