Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

For reasons of architecture SLI rarely effectively doubles FPS.

Moreover certain cards require a fair amount of effort to work perfectly.

So I stand by suggestion that for most of us, in terms of "bang for your buck" money spent on SLI is prolly better invested elsewhere.

BTW if you don't know how to be polite then I suggest you refrain from posting here.

There was nothing impolite in what I said. You're not helping anyone by offering 'advice' about something you don't seem to have any experience of.

The only place where I don't see large increases is in heavily built up areas.

You don't speak for 'most of us', you speak for you.

SLI works fine and it's up to the individual to decide if it is something they want to spend their money on or not.

Their decisions should be based on the facts and the facts are that SLI works fine.

PS: I hear Crossfire has improved as well (with the last 2 driver sets).

Edited by BangTail

I tried the demo last night with my c2d e6750 @ 3.4Ghz + 4gb RAM. It felt pretty sluggish.

Forgive me, I'm sure this is somewhere around here, but how do you show FPS? I'm really just wondering how much of an impact moving from an old dual core to a new quad core will have.

a 2500K is a lot faster than a core2duo, especially in singleplayer.

There was nothing impolite in what I said. You're not helping anyone by offering 'advice' about something you don't seem to have any experience of.

The only place where I don't see large increases is in heavily built up areas.

You don't speak for 'most of us', you speak for you.

SLI works fine and it's up to the individual to decide if it is something they want to spend their money on or not.

Their decisions should be based on the facts and the facts are that SLI works fine.

PS: I hear Crossfire has improved as well (with the last 2 driver sets).

Where I come from telling someone "you don't know what you're talking about" is considered quite rude.

Furthermore I never said that " speak for most of us".

Moreover to claim that one's personal experience is empirical evidence is one thing but to claim that it is an absolute truth is either foolish or rather arrogant.

Forgive me, I'm sure this is somewhere around here, but how do you show FPS?

You're forgiven ;) Try the FPS Counter mod from DFS.

Edited by domokun

No, you didn't. That is what Leon is trying to tell you...

Well you don't really know that, do you? That's an incorrect assumption. I've played online twice so far. I did realize that the viewdistance was short after the first time I tried to set it - the second time I played; the day after the initial post. I was corroborated with Leon's post.

Is my understanding that in Multiplayer, the server takes care of ai, correct?

Thanks for the tip that I can force view distance, I will try that to get it at least up to 5 or 6k.

So I stand by suggestion that for most of us

Sure looks to me like you were speaking for 'most of us'.

Where I come from telling someone "you don't know what you're talking about" is considered quite rude.

Furthermore I never said that " speak for most of us".

Moreover to claim that one's personal experience is empirical evidence is one thing but to claim that it is an absolute truth is either foolish or rather arrogant.

You made statements (below) that have no basis in fact and further, I might point out to you that they have been refuted by many users on this forum with SLI setups. There is nothing 'arrogant' or 'foolish' about the observations of someone with firsthand experience of any given hardware.

Personally I think that any multi-GPU setup (SLI/Crossfire) isn't a very good option.

For reasons of architecture SLI rarely effectively doubles FPS.

Moreover certain cards require a fair amount of effort to work perfectly.

So I stand by suggestion that for most of us, in terms of "bang for your buck" money spent on SLI is prolly better invested elsewhere.

If you had negative experiences with SLI to recount there would be room for discussion. At this point, all you've provided is erroneous blanket statements, so it's time to move on.

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:31 ----------

Well you don't really know that, do you? I've played online twice so far. I did realize that the viewdistance was short after the first time I tried to set it - the second time I played; the day after the initial post. I was corroborated with Leon's post.

Thanks for the tip that I can force view distance, I will try that to get it at least up to 5 or 6k.

Yes, I do really know that. MP auto limits your VD, it's a fact, not something I made up.

Edited by BangTail

Yes, I do really know that. MP auto limits your VD, it's a fact, not something I made up.

Your assumption of my ignorance is getting in your way of parsing the subtleties of what I'm saying and asking. Despite condescension, I thanked you for the helpful bits and my questions still stand as per above:

In multiplayer, AI is done server side?

and regarding my PC specs, I'm generally cpu limited? Edit: generally cpu limited offline with AI.

Edited by elvinjones

Well you don't really know that, do you? That's an incorrect assumption. I've played online twice so far. I did realize that the viewdistance was short after the first time I tried to set it - the second time I played; the day after the initial post. I was corroborated with Leon's post.

in some missions (like domination) you can set your viewdistance with the mission config thingy, is it called show status or something?

as for the whole sli thing, it works in arma but in new games you'll sometimes have to force af2 or wait for a new driver. I'd recommend it for "enthousiasts", if you have 400eu to spend I'd get a 580 instead of the 2 560's even if the 560's perform a bit better most of the time, the 580 has a 500mb more memory, and that's nice if you want to game while having your browser open or games that are memory hungry.

If you want to have the best price/performance just get one 560ti, and have the option of adding a second one if performance isn't high enough. Remember to close your browser before gaming.

Edited by Leon86

If you want to have the best price/performance just get one 560ti, and have the option of adding a second one if performance isn't high enough. Remember to close your browser before gaming.

That´s why I asked about doing SLI of GTX 560 ti. :rolleyes:

At the moment I have a LG 22" that handles only 1680*1050. So, I'm trying to determinate if it is reasonable to buy one GTX 560 ti first, then a new monitor and another card. Or just going towards a GTX 570 or GTX 580.

I´m buying this system:(before you read this, note that I´m from Brazil and hardware here is almost price of gold:mad:)

i5 2500k - R$ 540,00

Gigabyte p67-ud4-b3 R$ 640,00

4gb 1600mhz ram R$ 210,00

SSD 60gb OCZ Vertex 2(for ArmA 2) R$ 440,00

GTX 560 ti (ECS) R$ 779,00

GTX 570 (ECS) R$ 999,00

GTX 580 (EVGA) R$ 1580,00

I already have the rest of the system: a COSAIR TX950 Psu and a old a WD 500GB 7200rpm Sata2 for storage.

Sorry about my english, and thanks.:confused:

a single 560ti will be more than enough for a 22" monitor.

and those prices are indeed insane. I wonder why that motherboard is more expensive than the cpu, here it's the other way round. If you want to be extra awesome you can try to get a z68 instead of a p67 motherboard, they're just released.

Just ordered my new PC thanks to those who helped!

Arhh now just to put it together!

Simple question, which CPU will give better performance for Arma 2 / OA ?

AMD Phenom II 955 BE overclocked to 3.8ghz

or

Intel Core i5-2400 3.10ghz (Sandybridge)

Which one wins ? and by how much or are they relaitively evenly matched ?

my graphics card is 68702gb if that matters at all !

My gut reaction would say that the intel i7 chipset is technically superior to the AMD one. However in practical terms it gets a little more muddled.

It was my belief that the i5 was the cheaper version of the i7; for approximate the same price you should be able to get a high end AMD BLACK edition quad core which should deliver a hefty chip.

Its worth noting that since you are stuck with a ATi Graphics card-- AMD now owns ATI; which may be convenient when installing drivers and etc.

My advice in short. For a cheaper 'mid' end PC; get AMD.

-k

not an option im afraid, im making a pc for my mate out of components i have lying around and these are the two chips i have in front of me... plus i wont be overclocking anything.

I notice you say im "stuck with an ATI graphics card".... im assuming this means i would get better performance with an NVIDIA card. What NVIDIA Card is the equivelant of my 69702gb card in terms of price and offers better performance with Arma ?

Like PuFu said, there are seperate threads for this.

My guess is the intel wins, slightly. But why would you overclock the amd and not the intel. If you put that intel chip on a P67 or Z68 mobo you can overclock 400 mhz to 3.5 (or higher when the cores arent at full capacity)

because the AMD was overclocked before it was purchased, i don't have a clue how to overclock and i have no desire to learn either...

as i said before i now understand that there are separate threads for this type of topic and in future i will not be creating my own thread for such an issue, but this thread is here now so may as well use it...

If you've got both-- why not try both? My finger is on the AMD.

ATI cards are pretty decent these days; nvidia cards are unquestionably the industry standard and still deliver better and more stable drivers. Make no mistake. this is the arrogance of a longtime nvidia owner (who has owned and done troubleshooting on both ATI and nvidia cards speaking that is speaking.

Provided there are no other snags or bottlenecks in your other hardware. An AMD @ 3.8ghz + a 6870 w/2gb RAM should deliver EXCELLENT performance in Arma2. Who am I kidding. It will provide BUURNING performance :)

-k

@SteveAJ360 - should run very well - got mine stable to 4.5GHz, specs as below, needed as I run three screens with Eyefinity. Sweet !

cj

Hi everyone! I have a couple of questions that maybe the community can help me with.

- What's the best way to benchmark my rig? I noticed that there's a 'Benchmark' mission that provides an average FPS but I thought I had seen some posters talking about a Benchmark 1 & 2.

- What framerate should I realistically be expecting from the game? I've run the Benchmark mission with everything on Very High, V-Sync enabled, 1900x1220 and visibility at 3000. I was getting in the 50s but I could have sworn I've seen some people averaging in the 80s. Maybe it was on a different resolution? I'm not sure, which is why I'm posing the question.

I'll try running the benchmarks on each pre-set setting (Normal, High, Very High) and post the results if anyone's interested.

My Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 2600k running at 4.8 GHz

Cooling: Antec Kuhler 920

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws (8GB) running at 1600

System Drive: OCZ RevoDrive x2 160GB (Short-stroked)

Data Drive: 2 x 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB in RAID 0

GPU: 2 x Gigabyte GTX 560 ti Super Overclock in SLI

Monitor: 28" i-Inc at 1900x1220

ArmA: ArmA 2 CO + BAF + PMC

Thanks in advance!

nope, it's got a piece-oh-crap videocard in it.

this one will perform great but is 240 more: ibuypower thingy with 2500K and gtx 560ti

and this one is ok as well as long as you put the gtx460 in it (it's customisable), then it's 1000.-

there's some other pc's there as well that'll run it.

Edited by Leon86

Ive made the change to an i5 2500k, DDR3 1600 from a dual core oc@3.6, ddr2 800.

Ive never seen the game run and look so good :)

remembering the pain we had with Armed Assault, these days there is nothing to complain about, most would have one more minor upgrade in them to bring home the happiness.

Ive made the change to an i5 2500k, DDR3 1600 from a dual core oc@3.6, ddr2 800.

Ive never seen the game run and look so good :)

Hehe, yep quite an improvement. I recently added another 460 gtx for my first try at SLI but it's nowhere near the insane improvement I got from upgrading my old dual core to the 2500k -great chip. :)

Hi Im looking to get ARMA2,

But I dont have a PC so will need to buy one, can anyone recommend a PC at a good price to play this game on, was looking to just play it through my 47" LG LCD TV, using a Xbox 360 controller if thats possible.

can anyone point me in the right direction on getting a pc that will play through my 47" LCD LG TV, im in the UK Thanks...........

Edited by High Def Dave

Hi Im looking to get ARMA2,

But I dont have a PC so will need to buy one, can anyone recommend a PC at a good price to play this game on, was looking to just play it through my 47" LG LCD TV, using a Xbox 360 controller if thats possible.

can anyone point me in the right direction on getting a pc that will play through my 47" LCD LG TV, im in the UK Thanks...........

What sort of budget do you have?

You'll almost definetly want to go with Intel's Sandy Bridge platform. The i5 2500k offers the best performance per pound at the moment.

Have a look at this for useful advice, if you want to build your own.

If you want to buy a PC which is already made then you could consider these:

£3500- epic performance but pointless

£1500- this excellent

-£999- Scan 3XS i5 2500K OC-Edge, out soon, great

-£800- this good, get with gtx 460 option or better.

-£600- this- but it will struggle decent

Edited by SW1