Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

@Ghost Warrior: If you look at the minimum requirements for this game you see that these specs you show are way above what is needed so it will run better, yes, but be prepared that a laptop wants to save as much power as possible so that the battery will last longer, it will do this by reducing the graphic quality so you have to change this in the settings to make it run on max detail and speeds

it should run very well for a laptop. of course the mobile gpu's aren't that powerfull compared to desktop ones but then again the screen is often lower resolution. Dont expect stellar performance on high graphics settings, that's just not possible with notebooks.

I consider to upgrade my GPU from GTX 275 to GTX 570.

Im not sure if this upgrade will be good enough for my computer to handle big battles with alot of AIs.

My CPU will be the same and afraid it will be a bottleneck .

What do you guys recommend?

The 570 a great videocard! Im thinking of this kind of upgrade myself sinds i got a 285GTX and am looking forward to more frames. My resent upgrade from E8600 s775 to i7 950 s1366 didnt give me a superior gain in performance so next for me will be a new GPU ;)

larsiano but do you think this will make a difference for me if I keep the same CPU as today?

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

GTX 570

Is it worth it? Or should I go for CPU upgrade as well?

Its a question of money for me.

i cant tell you that exactly but the 570 is allot faster so if you have 20/25FPS now your have 40/45 after the upgrade i think :)

hello gentleman, it's been a few weeks since I posted. I Had some isues with my FXF 5870 card. The game ran great at times most settings on very high and some things on normal with AVG FPS rate 0f 49-54 with trails on bench#8. MY card was giving me some issues and i was getting random blank/black screens, freezes, and other visual issues. My HDMI port was not working.

I called newegg for a RMA. For the same money I could now get a 6950 for 279-10-30 rebates for a total of 239.00 My 5870 cost me 279-40 rebate 239.00 almost 6 weeks ago. So I went with a powercolor 6950.

Is the 6950 a better card? With the same settings I am only getting 44-46 FPS on trails with #8. WHY should the FPS not be better. I know 44 is very good for ARMA but WTF.

core clock 850 mhz, stream processors 1600, effective memory4.8gbs, memory 1gb

core clock 800 mhz, stream processors 1408, effective memory 5.0gbs, memory 2gb

Can anyone give me the whys! thank you.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

larsiano but do you think this will make a difference for me if I keep the same CPU as today?

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

GTX 570

Is it worth it? Or should I go for CPU upgrade as well?

Its a question of money for me.

Your CPU is fine, switching to a X6 won't make a difference

OK thank you Flattermann I decided to keep my CPU and just upgrade the GPU to GTX 570. It was a hard decision but Im glad its over and I can proceed with my plans :).

Im upgrading my system, and need your point of view of the specs.

Usage:

ARMA2, cinmea 4d (rendering) and image editing.

These are the specs ive included:

CABINET: Silverstone Fortress II Midi Tower SortVifter: 3x 180mm Bunn, 1x 120mm Topp, Aluminium

CPU: Intel Core i7 970 Hexa 6 x 3,2Ghz 12MB, 4,8GT/sec

CPU-Cooler: Original Intel cooler i7 Extreme

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 1536MB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-mini HDMI, HDCP, Graphics Plus

HOVEDKORT: GIGABYTE S-1366 X58 ATX 4xPCI-E Audio7.1 GbLAN 1394 Raid DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0

RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL9 Kit w/6x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.65V, Intel XMP

PSU: Tagan 2-Force II Series 800W

HDD1: Kingston SSDNow/M Series 80GB SATA2 2.5

HDD2: Western Digital Caviar® Green™ 1TB SATA 3Gb/sec, dynamic 5400-7200RPM, 64MB

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223C 22x DVD, DVDRAM, SATA, Black, Bulk

Is there anything that might be wise to include or exchange with something else? I know the new sandy bridge is out, but got only 4 cores so far.

Thinking of SLI setup, and also considering the 570 gfx, but from what ive read the 480 abit better cause of its memory (need that for unbiased rendering).

any tips appreciated

I'm really anxious to know what BIS will do with multicore systems of tomorrow.

I mean, it's all nice to have 16-core processors but other than offloading background applications to the other cores and the increasing of per-core IPC there will be no big steps forward in terms of performance.

Im upgrading my system, and need your point of view of the specs.

Usage:

ARMA2, cinmea 4d (rendering) and image editing.

These are the specs ive included:

CABINET: Silverstone Fortress II Midi Tower SortVifter: 3x 180mm Bunn, 1x 120mm Topp, Aluminium

CPU: Intel Core i7 970 Hexa 6 x 3,2Ghz 12MB, 4,8GT/sec

CPU-Cooler: Original Intel cooler i7 Extreme

GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 480 1536MB PhysX CUDA PCI-Express 2.0, GDDR5, 2xDVI, native-mini HDMI, HDCP, Graphics Plus

HOVEDKORT: GIGABYTE S-1366 X58 ATX 4xPCI-E Audio7.1 GbLAN 1394 Raid DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0

RAM: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL9 Kit w/6x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL9-9-9-24, 1.65V, Intel XMP

PSU: Tagan 2-Force II Series 800W

HDD1: Kingston SSDNow/M Series 80GB SATA2 2.5

HDD2: Western Digital Caviar® Green™ 1TB SATA 3Gb/sec, dynamic 5400-7200RPM, 64MB

Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223C 22x DVD, DVDRAM, SATA, Black, Bulk

Is there anything that might be wise to include or exchange with something else? I know the new sandy bridge is out, but got only 4 cores so far.

Thinking of SLI setup, and also considering the 570 gfx, but from what ive read the 480 abit better cause of its memory (need that for unbiased rendering).

any tips appreciated

You could save a bunch of money with an i7-2600k and a s1155 motherboard, in gaming the cpu will be a bit faster and in cinema 4d the 2600 will be just (8.5-7.7)/8.5 = 10% (see scores here) slower. And since cinebench is the cinema 4d benchmark I guess these results are reliable.

You can spend the money saved on a gtx580 instead of the 480 :)

Edited by Leon86

You could also wait ~4 months for the octo-core AMD Bulldozer package. It seems to be on par with Sandy Bridge, even outgunning it in a few ways.

Thanks for the replies.

I've heard that the 2600k needs a overclock to match a 970 6 core, and im pretty mutch a novice when it comes to such thing, and if i have o.c processor at full trottle over a long period of time with rendering, the processor might be damaged. The mainboard was called back cause of a fault. The good thing with the sandy bridge is that i have good upgrade options later on.

Thanks for the replies.

I've heard that the 2600k needs a overclock to match a 970 6 core, and im pretty mutch a novice when it comes to such thing, and if i have o.c processor at full trottle over a long period of time with rendering, the processor might be damaged. The mainboard was called back cause of a fault. The good thing with the sandy bridge is that i have good upgrade options later on.

Sandy Bridge should be upgradable with the upcoming Ivy Bridge. After that you will have to buy a new motherboard for Haswell which is likely to use the LGA 2011 socket.

Nothing is known about AMD upgradability after the first generation Bulldozers yet, but it is likely to keep the AM3+ socket for at least the second generation Bulldozers.

Thanks for the replies.

There's only 10% between the cpu's in cinema 4d and the 970 is 85% more expensive. In arma 2 the 970 will be 25%? slower (some math with cinebench scores/cores would get 35% but I doubt that). s1155 boards are cheaper as well, only real downside is the 4 ram slots so you can only realistically mount 16GB ram. There's also the limited pci-e bandwith on s1155 but that's only a problem with 2 gpu's and a pci-e ssd.

The sandy bridge was called back because of premature failure of some sata300 ports. Most people only have 1 or 2 harddisks so you can connect them to the unaffected sata600 ports.

You can also wait a couple of weeks until the fixed chipsets get to market.

You're only going to get 1 gpu, no pci-e ssd's and just 12GB ram, why would you get X58?

I understand. The reason is i found this used to a fair price (aprox 1800 euros/ 14000 norwegian kroners), with the option of upgrading some parts, excluding the mainboard and processor ofcourse. So its all about if i should go for this offer or not. Im aware this is close to stepping one step backwards interms of technology, but is the difference that big? and yeah, thats why i find this such a difficult decition. :)

I understand. The reason is i found this used to a fair price (aprox 1800 euros/ 14000 norwegian kroners), with the option of upgrading some parts, excluding the mainboard and processor ofcourse. So its all about if i should go for this offer or not. Im aware this is close to stepping one step backwards interms of technology, but is the difference that big? and yeah, thats why i find this such a difficult decition. :)

I dont know what prices you pay for hardware in norway but here in the netherlands the seller should be very happy to get 1300,- for that setup.

a comparable new setup with i7-2600k with a decent case, psu and gtx 570 card will cost about 1200 here.

I was wondering whether i should upgrade my CPU (AMD Dual Core 2.1 GHz) or video card (Nvidia 9500GT). I was planning to get a AMD Phenom X4 955 Quad @ 3.2 GHz for a new processor. Also i am getting Nvidia GTX 460.

Basically I am wondering which i should do first to get the best performance increase in ArmA. Also I have Combined Ops if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the replies.

Buying a 970 now isn't cost effective. The 2600K is a far better choice and OCing (as long as it is done properly) will not damage the CPU.

If you want the true performance king, you're better off waiting until Q4 and SB-E although it will come with the same price premiums as the 970/980x.

Edited by BangTail

I dont know what prices you pay for hardware in norway but here in the netherlands the seller should be very happy to get 1300,- for that setup.

a comparable new setup with i7-2600k with a decent case, psu and gtx 570 card will cost about 1200 here.

This is Norway, things cost a fortune here. :rolleyes:

Considering this machine got some outdated parts makes me hesitate.

Buying a 970 now isn't cost effective. The 2600K is a far better choice and OCing (as long as it is done properly) will not damage the CPU.

If you want the true performance king, you're better off waiting until Q3 and SB-E although it will come with the same price premiums as the 970/980x.

I've read the sandy bridge mainboard will support the upcoming sandy bridge processors with more than 4 cores. If thats the case, i will skip the 970 "deal". Thanks for the information :)

I was wondering whether i should upgrade my CPU (AMD Dual Core 2.1 GHz) or video card (Nvidia 9500GT). I was planning to get a AMD Phenom X4 955 Quad @ 3.2 GHz for a new processor. Also i am getting Nvidia GTX 460.

Basically I am wondering which i should do first to get the best performance increase in ArmA. Also I have Combined Ops if that makes a difference.

You could better wait for either AMD Bulldozer or the near-future Sandy Bridge processors.

He just said that things are a fortune, and not only that some people can't afford the near future Sandy Bridge Processors by Intel, you may have unlimited pockets, but I sure as hell don't.

But to answer your question domiS, yes the AMD Phenom X4 955 Quad @ 3.2 GHz and the GTX 460 would be fine to run this game.

He just said that things are a fortune, and not only that some people can't afford the near future Sandy Bridge Processors by Intel, you may have unlimited pockets, but I sure as hell don't.

But to answer your question domiS, yes the AMD Phenom X4 955 Quad @ 3.2 GHz and the GTX 460 would be fine to run this game.

Didn't understand mutch of that, anyhow, Yayrad is the guy you kindly answered. :)

Is that processor on the motherboards' cpu support list? Also check if your psu is powerfull enough for a phenomII quad and that gpu, they both need considerable power on 12V, so 25+ A on 12 is recommended.

And yes, that processor and gpu are a good choice for arma 2.

If your motherboard doesnt support the new amd cpu's and you're on a really limited budget you could look at an AthlonII triplecore, ati 5770 (dropped in price recently) and use the money saved on a new mobo + 4GB ram. Those first 2 components use less power than the phenom/gtx so you might be able to get away with your current psu (im assuming it's an oem system with lowend psu).