Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

For my birthday, which is rapidly approaching, I plan on getting the HP Pavilion dv6-3143us. I was wondering if you guys would take a look at it and tell me if its able to play ARMA2 low-mid graphics settings. I don't care about graphics, but rather gameplay. Would this laptop be able to play it without lagging / without problems? System specs are :

-4GB DDR3

-500GB HDD

-i3 Processer, 2.40 GHz

-ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 + Intel HD

-1024MB DDR3 with up to 2714MB total graphics memory (I believe this is the VRAM?)

Basically, I know what everything is except for the last bullet. I thinks its my total VRAM, but I'm not completely sure. I compared this to the recommended system specs on Steam and I think that it will be able to run fairly well, but I just wanted to check with the people that would really know better than I. I'm fairly excited about this because ARMA2 looks like an amazing game, and I've always wanted it, but due to my Desktop limitations it simply wasn't an option. Will I be able to run it? Much appreciated, guys. Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, as I'm new to the forums.

Dont expect the campain to run fluently. It'll run but it's barely over minimum system requirements.

If you have a bit (200eu) more to spend get the Asus N53SV-SZ016V or a comparable laptop, they have the sandy bridge mobile cpu's (which are increadibly fast compared to past i7's) and a slightly faster gpu.

Thanks for the tip :)

Found a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 for €200 :confused:

How come a new generation card is cheaper than an old one ?

I was also wondering if I should go with AMD or another manufacturer (Asus, Sapphire,...) ?

I guess there's a reason why AMD ones are cheaper

Get the 6870, the 5870 is only very slightly faster in some cases and in certain games (Far Cry 2 for example, it's slower).

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-review/16

It also benefits from much better tessellation, is newer and as you've already noted, cheaper.

Alright guys check out my build:

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Thermaltake CLP0574 Jing

Seagate Barracuda LP Hard Drive 1TB

EVGA GeForce GTS 450 SuperClocked

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 16GB DDR3 SDRAM 1333

What do you figure I will be running at?

16GB? :eek: you're planning on running from a ramdisk?

Performance should be decent if the settings are kept on the low side. The athlon is great value for money but not increadibly fast. A 450 is also a bit on the slow side.

16GB? :eek: you're planning on running from a ramdisk?

Performance should be decent if the settings are kept on the low side. The athlon is great value for money but not incredibly fast. A 450 is also a bit on the slow side.

Low side!? My laptop with a 2.2ghz dual core, 4gb ram, & Nvidia 310m runs it great on low...im sure ill be able to run on med to med high. And as for the ram I got it for a blowout price.

Low side!? My laptop with a 2.2ghz dual core, 4gb ram, & Nvidia 310m runs it great on low...im sure ill be able to run on med to med high. And as for the ram I got it for a blowout price.

It all depends on what fps you're comfortable with. Compare the gpu's here It's in the same league as a 9800 gtx, not exactly top performance. But fair enough, compared to a midrange laptop it's probably very fast.

Hey guys, thought I would post some benchmarks with my system now up and running. Ran the benchmark 3 times then took the average of each.

Antec 902 Game Case

Asus Rampage II Gene Motherboard

I7 920 overclocked to 3.8

Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler

6gb of Corsair Dominator running Triple Channel

(2)580Gtx's in SLI

300gb Velociraptor

80gb Intel X-25 SSD just for Arma

24" Acer LCD Monitor

850 Thermaltake Black Widow PSU

1st test:

3600viewdistance

Very High:quality Pref.

Interface: 1920 x 1200

3D resolution: 1920 x 1200

Textures: Very high

Video Mem.: Default

Anistropic: Very High

AntiAlaising: Very High

Terrain: Very High

Objects: Very High

Shadows: Very High

HDR Quality: Very High

PostProcessing: Very High

Vsync: Disabled

OA Benchmark> 67.5 average in-game benchmark

41 min. 121.2 max. 67.5 avg.-----in Fraps benchmark

Ran same identical test with a 10,000 max view distance with all settings the same except the terrain which automatically switches to high anything over 6,500.

OA Benchmark>45 average in-game benchmark

28 min. 62 max. 45 average--------in Fraps benchmark

Edited by MissionMaximus
Video Memory was on Default

Bought this today ; Intel - Core i7 2600K

3,4GHz Quad core, 8GB DDR3 1600MHz, ASUS Sabertooth, P67 chipset

But not going to get it until the 8th february:/

Hope I,ll finally be good for ARMA OA now, I,ll be playing it on a 1900x1080 27"

I,m planning to oc the cpu at once to around 4ghz, guess the GTX 470 will be my bottleneck now?

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 AM ----------

Alright guys check out my build:

AMD Athlon II X4 640

Thermaltake CLP0574 Jing

Seagate Barracuda LP Hard Drive 1TB

EVGA GeForce GTS 450 SuperClocked

What do you figure I will be running at?

Well, I,ve got around 30fps generally with my build,at 1900x1080 on SSD disk, check my signature for my current specs, ordered some new parts now, want to get up to 40-50fps

I'm thinking of upgrading my E8500, but i wanna stick with LGA 775 or else i'll have to spend $400 upgrading RAM and motherboard. is it worth getting a Q6700 or something similar in price?

I'm thinking of upgrading my E8500, but i wanna stick with LGA 775 or else i'll have to spend $400 upgrading RAM and motherboard. is it worth getting a Q6700 or something similar in price?

I would say that you should wait a while and then switch platform (slot).

@Posta

Could you post the settings you play at and the fps you get with the setup in your signature? I've just built a pc similar to yours but i haven't chosen a graphics card yet, and yours looks interesting.

@MissionMaximus

If you have tried with a single GTX 580 could you tell me what performance you got compared to your SLI setup?

Edited by Grubert

@Posta

Could you post the settings you play at and the fps you get with the setup in your signature? I've just built a pc similar to yours but i haven't chosen a graphics card yet, and yours looks interesting.

@MissionMaximus

If you have tried with a single GTX 580 could you tell me what performance you got compared to your SLI setup?

Well, before I got my 1st 580gtx I was running (2) 260gtx's in SLI and on Very High Preference default with the only changes in 1920x1200 resolution and 1920x1200 3D resolution, default Video Memory. I got an 23 average fps with a minimal 7 average fps with the (2) 260's in SLI and with the same settings and (1) 580gtx I got a 71 fps average.

Remember this was default Very High Preference with the only changes in 3D resolution and Video Memory. So you could say it made a big difference with my system just with one 580gtx although at a steep price. But hey I am a single man work hard for my money, save my money and love PC gaming and especially love Arma.

PS the second 580gtx I purchased from Bestbuy online with BestBuy Card with 18 months interest free as long as you make monthly payments can't beat that. Have it paid off in a couple months without gulping down $500 all at once like from New Egg. The 1st one was from New Egg who I also love.

Now with (2) 580gtx's in SLI no problem with everything on Very High and I mean Everything.

Edited by MissionMaximus

@Posta

I'm trying to find the sweet spot with settings. So I haven't a definitive setup.

BUT I did some tests to verify the ranges for you. I use the latest beta drivers for Catalyst. Haven't tried any other. Windows 7 64bit (slower than XP :( ) V-synch disabled ofc. Latest beta for Arma II as well (ARMA2_OA_Build_77777).

Benchmark [08] - yeah, Takistan.

Test 1 - Image Q MAXING OUT

1680*1050 both interface and 3D.

View distance: 10 000.

Video memory: Default.

EVERYTHING on the highest setting. Maxed out that is.

AVG FPS: 28.

Test 2 - Going for high FPS.

1680*1050 both interface and 3D.

View distance: 500.

Video memory: Default.

EVERYTHING on the lowest setting or OFF when available.

AVG FPS: 150. (104 FPS with View distance 4000.)

My 6970 is bottlenecking pretty hard as you can see with everything on the highest settings. And the game is pretty much unplayable.

The second is indeed smoother but the LOD switching is awful. Flashing like Vegas.

I will do a Test 3 later. With my preferred all around settings. If i remember correctly that involves most on at least high other than Post Effects and AA. Some on the highest. And i get a stable and playable FPS that doesn't look bad. A FPS under 60 is a big "no no" for me. :)

With all due respect but if you expect to have minimum 60 FPS with Ais and large scale battles then you propably daydreaming or never will play the game and enjoy it.

With all due respect but if you expect to have minimum 60 FPS with Ais and large scale battles then you propably daydreaming or never will play the game and enjoy it.

I was talkin' about 60 FPS as a general rule for me. Ofc that is impossible when having lots of AI and high view distance and settings on high with AA and shit. I will probably have less FPS than 60 in big firefights and many AI. But no Powerpoints. The worst thing with low FPS imo is the delay in mouse and keyboard input. It feels unresponsive and is giving me a headache. Motion blur (as used in movies) is a effective way to hide low FPS. It doesn't make up for the higher input delay though. And I hate motion blur in games. :)

You are right about the last part. Fully enjoying the game. If it runs slow you upgrade. After the upgrade you just put in more AI and play on higher settings. And you sit there with crappy performance again. :) 20 AI to 40 to 60 to 80 and so on.

Most of the time i just play the game though. And accept the fact that this engine is... Let's say badly optimized for computers. :) BIS got a lovely concept with Arma II and I love the game. But when it comes to engine performance they fail. The game scale bad with the computer if it is correct english to put it that way.

@Posta

Thanks, very helpful

Np. It's pretty time consuming to tweak the settings. Some things doesn't make a difference in performance and some of them eat a lot. AA eat the most with my system, (graphics card-related).

Just when I thought I was out... They pull me back in! :D

No, seriously, I found that the Sandy Bridge K processors are kinda hard to come by here in Denmark where I live, the shop I'm looking to buy from say they won't have them in stock until sometime in April. And I have a hard time sitting on my hands 'til then, so I just wanted to pop in and get you guys' take, on whether I should get the i5 2500 straight or maybe the i7-2600 or just suck it up and wait for the K-versions to become available.

I should mention, that originally I had been looking at the i5-2500k, but only so I would have the theoretical option of overclocking. I have never really tried OCing, and I'm not even sure I would, if I got the K-version, it's just nice not to limit oneself in advance, if you get my drift.

As always, thanks in advance, I bow in submission to this threads mighty wisdom.

Just when I thought I was out... They pull me back in! :D

I had the same problem with 2500K. They were sold out pretty fast. So, I bought a 2500 instead. 4.1GHz is easy to OC it to. Just change the cooler and the multiplier. 41 is the max @ my 2500. The K version goes up to around 4.7GHz (i5 2500K).

If you want that 0.6GHz extra when OC. Wait! If you are fine with 4.1GHz or the standard 3.6GHz (boost) buy the NO-K

@JohnnyDust

I live in Copenhagen and I had no problem getting a 2500K. Komplett.dk seems to have some on the 3rd of February. I would suggest getting a K-processor since overclocking couldn't be easier. You only have to change 1 thing in the bios and it's done. Good luck.

I had the same problem with 2500K. They were sold out pretty fast. So, I bought a 2500 instead. 4.1GHz is easy to OC it to. Just change the cooler and the multiplier. 41 is the max @ my 2500. The K version goes up to around 4.7GHz (i5 2500K).

If you want that 0.6GHz extra when OC. Wait! If you are fine with 4.1GHz or the standard 3.6GHz (boost) buy the NO-K

OK, thanks, that was kinda just what I wanted to hear :D

What mobo are you running on? P67 or H67?

I think I would be just fine with the 3,6 boosted speed, and I did plan on getting a aftermarket cooler, so 4,1 sounds like more than enough, but how does this thing with the multiplier work? (I am at a complete loss when it comes to OCing or anything remotely connected.)

Thanks mate, you just made my day a little bit better, I could be looking to place an order by thuesday :D

OK, thanks, that was kinda just what I wanted to hear :D

What mobo are you running on? P67 or H67?

I think I would be just fine with the 3,6 boosted speed, and I did plan on getting a aftermarket cooler, so 4,1 sounds like more than enough, but how does this thing with the multiplier work? (I am at a complete loss when it comes to OCing or anything remotely connected.)

Thanks mate, you just made my day a little bit better, I could be looking to place an order by thuesday :D

NP!

I have a MSI [P67]A-C45. Which isn't high end in any way.

It's super ez to OC.

1. Boot up your computer and press [del].

2. Click on OC. (Nice GUI nowadays.)

3. Go down to CPU Multiplier. (Default x33)

4. Press + a couple of times. (x41 was max for me). [EDIT: Take small steps. Reboot and test it out in games. Don't go x41 or whatever as the first step.]

5. Press F10 to save and reboot.

(4b. In the same menu there is a parameter for XMS. Enable if you have 1600MHz DDR3.)

That's a good start! There is more to it like disabling the security function which underclock your overclock if it gets to extreme. But, I think that's mostly needed if you want to play with a clock around 4.7MHz. :) I have that function enabled for security reasons.

Keep in mind that this is my personal experience. I am no expert in any way.