Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'm just going with the suggestions of a friend. They suggested the 460 2GB over a 470 1280MB for ArmA2.

I was torn but, I was planning to go with his advice, given he's the 4 year chief tech of our airsoft & gaming organization. lol. I might still see about the 470 instead, though.

Edit: Oh, and should I get a 700w powersupply (Pretty much the minimum for the setup I'm planning on) or an 850w power supply (Which takes me over budget but allows a little more room to breath if you know how I mean.)

Edited by Kirby

my monitor is only vga not dvi or hdmi, and I do not have the money to upgrade it right now so I was just gonna get a small budget card that can run most new games on a vga monitor without an adapter.

I'm building a computer from ground up and this game is one I really want to play. These are the Specs I have came up with:

PNY XLR8 8800 GT Graphics adapter - 512 MB

Asus M4A785-M Motherboard & AMD Athlon II X4 630 Quad Core Processor Bundle

GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GX24GB6400DC

XION Power Real 800W ATX Power Supply

Seagate ST31000520AS Barracuda LP Hard Drive - 1TB, 5900rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G

NZXT M59-001BK M59 Gaming Mid Tower Case - ATX, mATX, Baby AT, Black

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

I really hope this will run it well.

I'm building a computer from ground up and this game is one I really want to play. These are the Specs I have came up with:

GeIL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model GX24GB6400DC

It won't. Your hard drive is going to be really slow and Arma2 uses the drive a lot to stream textures from. You need a 7200rpm at the very least.

The graphics adapter is dated by modern standards too, it will work but not on anything higher than normal settings.

What version of Windows will you be using? Don't forget you must get a 64bit edition or you won't use all your ram.

I'm just going with the suggestions of a friend. They suggested the 460 2GB over a 470 1280MB for ArmA2.

I was torn but, I was planning to go with his advice, given he's the 4 year chief tech of our airsoft & gaming organization. lol. I might still see about the 470 instead, though.

Edit: Oh, and should I get a 700w powersupply (Pretty much the minimum for the setup I'm planning on) or an 850w power supply (Which takes me over budget but allows a little more room to breath if you know how I mean.)

The 470 will be much faster. A 700W psu is not the minium. You're looking at about 300W load in games. If you plan to buy a crap-brand psu you'll need a 700W, but an A-brand (corsair/seasonic/whatever) 500W psu should be plenty. If you want headroom to add a gpu for sli go for a 700W.

Recently my psu died and I got a corsair AX750 (made by seasonic, basically a cheaper seasonic-X with longer warranty) 750W is way more than I need but it's very efficient and silent (completely silent if below 150W)

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

my monitor is only vga not dvi or hdmi, and I do not have the money to upgrade it right now so I was just gonna get a small budget card that can run most new games on a vga monitor without an adapter.

Why do you care about running with or without an adapter?? It's just a plug. Most gpu's have them in the box, and if not theyre not very expensive, here's one for 1.85 inc. shipping. How the chinese ship this for 1.85 and manage to get a profit is beyond me....

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

If you get other parts you can probably get a faster and cheaper machine.

Get an AM3 board with DDR3 memory slots

Get DDR3 memory

Get the cheapest AthlonIIx3 that has a reasoable clock (close to 3 is good)

Get a 7200 rpm samsung spinpoint F3 1TB, they have the best price/perf

Get a decent gpu like a gtx460/ati 6850

Dont get a soundcard, onboard is fine for all but high-end speakersets imo.

You dont need an 800W psu, 500W is still much more than you'll need.

What is your budget?

There is no way on hell that you should get that 8800GT. If you are going for the $500-700 price range, use an AMD Radeon 6850 or NVIDIA GTX 460.

For a processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103699&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x3-_-19-103-699-_-Product

You can unlock the 4th core and get a quad core CPU @ 3.0GHz for cheaper, and it is easy to overclock, but you need an aftermarket CPU cooler.

How much do you actually know about building a computer? You will never need that much wattage, a 600-700w PSU is fine.

Edited by Flubadoo

@Leon

I see, yeah I'm mostly going with advice from others. Thanks. That keeps it within my range and I'll be ordering some time between today and early January (Before the damn VAT goes up!)

@Leon

I see, yeah I'm mostly going with advice from others. Thanks. That keeps it within my range and I'll be ordering some time between today and early January (Before the damn VAT goes up!)

If you're going to wait untill early january I wouldn't go intel x58 but get a sandy bridge. They'll be more efficient clock/clock, be clocked higher and have improved turbo modes compared to current i7's.

If it does end up waiting until early jan, I'll look at newer available options. I like to make sure I'm getting the best price for quality at any latest moment =P

When I do get it, I'll make a quick post here at what kind of performance I actually get, for reference to the hardware.

What is your budget?

There is no way on hell that you should get that 8800GT. If you are going for the $500-700 price range, use an AMD Radeon 6850 or NVIDIA GTX 460.

For a processor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103699&cm_re=amd_phenom_ii_x3-_-19-103-699-_-Product

You can unlock the 4th core and get a quad core CPU @ 3.0GHz for cheaper, and it is easy to overclock, but you need an aftermarket CPU cooler.

How much do you actually know about building a computer? You will never need that much wattage, a 600-700w PSU is fine.

My range is about what you stated.

EDIT:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6817311&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Is that a good card?

Edited by Soulreaper2453

Yeah, 6850's are pretty decent. A bit faster than a gtx 460 and a bit more expensive as well.

XFX HD685XZNFC Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCIe, mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI

Intel H55TC Motherboard & Intel Core i3 530 Processor Bundle

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Ultra LSP550 550-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan, Lifetime Warranty w/ Registration

Those are my specs now. Will it run it any better?

Where are you ordering soulreaper? Maybe there are better deals. I wouln't buy a bundle unless it was exactly what I was looking for. And I wouln't get an intel board as they do not allow for any overclocking afaik. Were you getting 4GB ram as well?

Where are you ordering soulreaper? Maybe there are better deals. I wouln't buy a bundle unless it was exactly what I was looking for. And I wouln't get an intel board as they do not allow for any overclocking afaik. Were you getting 4GB ram as well?

Well we just ordered. Most was from compusa.com I had my dad help he knew alot about it. I got DDR3 4GB at newegg. Whats Overclocking afaik?

Edited by Soulreaper2453

afaik is as far as I know. Overclocking is running your processor faster than intel's stock speed, not recommended unless you prepare well.

Have fun with the new system.

afaik is as far as I know. Overclocking is running your processor faster than intel's stock speed, not recommended unless you prepare well.

Have fun with the new system.

Thanks :D So should it work? Like what do you think I should put the settings on when I get the game?

Dunno, everyone has a different idea of "playable". I'd recommend starting the editor on utes with a plane. crank everything to high and max out viewdistance :) Utes is a pretty small island you'll have framerates you just cant get on cherno.

On chernarus with a lot of ai you'll need lower settings.

Dunno, everyone has a different idea of "playable". I'd recommend starting the editor on utes with a plane. crank everything to high and max out viewdistance :) Utes is a pretty small island you'll have framerates you just cant get on cherno.

On chernarus with a lot of ai you'll need lower settings.

Well alright. Thanks man. Btw I'll be getting CO and probably be using desert maps and Urban ones with the Undead mod. Should I get better framrate and everything on the desert islands?

I will wait for Sandy Bridge too and will definitely buy GTX580 - my Christmas present for me. :D

Its expensive, I know, but who cares, last time I updated my rig was 3 years ago. :D

Hm. Sandy Bridge is apparently launched on the 5th. A day after the VAT goes up so that's a nogo on buying for me.

Hm. Sandy Bridge is apparently launched on the 5th. A day after the VAT goes up so that's a nogo on buying for me.

Vanilla Sandy Bridge isn't that impressive tbh.

Waimea Bay/ Sandy Bridge E are interesting but they won't arrive for 6+ months.

Vanilla Sandy Bridge isn't that impressive tbh.

If you have 2 gulftowns I guess it isn't, but if you compare the core i5-760 to the i5-2500K (supposedly not that much price difference) that's almost a 20% clockspeed increase. That, coupled with a slightly increased efficiency per clock and improved turbo modes will probably get you 25-30% on stock.

If you take an i5-2500K and overclock it with a good cooler my guess is it will outperform an overclocked 980X in arma2 and nearly all other games.

In video editing and photoshop you're probably still better off with a 6-core HT proc compared to the 4-core HT 2600K.

It's just not that impressive, even compared to an OC'd 920, that's why they've kept the 'i' designation.

I might pick one up to check it out but I'm only really interested in the high end stuff.

The integrated video is a nice feature but it's squarely aimed at the low end.

Edited by BangTail

Well it's an evolution not a revolution, but there's nice features like the encryption thingy and the sata-600 controller on the P67 chipset, so you can get decent iops (plus the topspeed of course) on sata600 ssd's. Plus they'll clock higher than current 45nm quads.

Sure, I can agree with that, but it's not blowing the doors off.

Hopefully Sandy Bridge E will be a significant upgrade, it sounds like it will be, although we won't know for a few more months.