Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

cpu- i5 760 stock (2.8, 3.3 turbo)

gpu- hd 6870

ram - 6gb 1333mhz

Wondering if this setup will get me a decent framerate (40-60) on high/veryhigh. Could anyone tell me an estimate of what kind of framerate I will see.

Yes you should see an average of around 40 fps on very high, AA normal with that set up .

Edited by LEEROY_UK

cpu- i5 760 stock (2.8, 3.3 turbo)

gpu- hd 6870

ram - 6gb 1333mhz

Wondering if this setup will get me a decent framerate (40-60) on high/veryhigh. Could anyone tell me an estimate of what kind of framerate I will see.

On an i7 940 (OC'd to 3.3), I'm getting 41 in the 1st benchmark using a 6870.

GossamerS

U say u OC yo Q6600 I have a Q6700 and want to OC that would I realy see a great improvment my GPU is 4890 1GB so not to shabby.

Whats your temps running at that speed mate? and is that on air or water?.

Is the app called "SetFSB" a reliable way to overclock a CPU if the machine's BIOS is locked? I have a notebook (HP DV7-2270us) with Intel Q9000 Quad Core which is 2.0Ghz.

Setfsb will do the job, if it supports your motherboard. But its highly advised not to OC laptop CPUs... these things are already running at their maximum cooling threshold.

I've run the OA benchmark and got 66 FPS with the following settings

Visibility - 2128

Res. and 3D -1920x1200

Texture - Very High

Vid. mem. - Default

AF - Very High

AA - Disabled

Terrain/objects - Very High

Shadows - High

PP - Disabled

Should I got a little more when I changed some things?

PC specs;

Win 7

Core i5 CPU 750 Running @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte GTX 460 @ 800/1600/2000

4GB RAM

28 Inch screen with 1900x1200 res.

I'd say that's decent performance W.[ ].R.R.e.L. What do you mean with "Should I got a little more when I changed some things?"

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

A 460 1gb SLI will be better than an only one 480 gtx?? with an i7 920 @ 4 ghz

in most games it will, dunno about arma though. Maybe 2x470 is within budget (slightly over 200 euro's now). That should perform far above the 480 for sure.

Edited by Leon86

I'd say that's decent performance W.[ ].R.R.e.L. What do you mean with "Should I got a little more when I changed some things?

I ment a little more FPS. But its it's good in MP. I think this is the highest I can get. When I put AA to normal and PP to low, I'll get 50 FPS, but in MP a huge drop down I think.

Anyone running combined ops on an SSD that were running it on a HDD, could you post the differences you noticed?

Anyone running combined ops on an SSD that were running it on a HDD, could you post the differences you noticed?

Will be very dependant on what HDDs you are migrating from.

If you are coming from newer/RAID HDDs, there is a difference but it's subjective how noticeable that difference is.

If you are coming from older HDDs, it's noticeable IMHO.

Edited by BangTail

Will be very dependant on what HDDs you are migrating from.

If you are coming from newer/RAID HDDs, there is a difference but it's subjective how big that difference is.

If you are coming from older HDDs, it's noticeable IMHO.

I know there are noticeable differences, but what are they?

I know there are noticeable differences, but what are they?

Less popups, texture lag etc and most noticeably, load times.

It won't affect FPS but the overall gameplay experience will be more fluid :)

Edited by BangTail

Less popups, texture lag etc.

It won't affect FPS but the overall gameplay experience will be more fluid :)

Sounds worth it then, in warfare multiplayer stuff sometimes takes forever to load, besides the fact that it runs bad anyway.

GossamerS

U say u OC yo Q6600 I have a Q6700 and want to OC that would I realy see a great improvment my GPU is 4890 1GB so not to shabby.

Whats your temps running at that speed mate? and is that on air or water?.

You will get nice fps boost, but you realy need to have decent cooler.

I have noctua nh-14d, it costs about 100$, but IMO it is well worth the price, it is simply the best air cooler avalable at the market (IMHO, dont want flame wars, check the web yourself). Best thing about that cooler is that it is compatibile with everything (socket 775, 1156, 1366), and it is compatibile with future sockets (1155 sandy bridge, socket r sandy bridge, and am3+). I get realy nice performance now, and i have great cooler for my future system. It is silent and performes great, but check if it fits in your motherboard, case, and ram compatibility. I have antec p182, and asrock p45de... silence and nice speed, i run it at 1.35V@ 438*8 (3.5GHz), and get idle temps of 46, to 67 (prime) load in closed case and using noctuas silence adapters runing it at 900rpms.

Arma2 is cpu hog, it can run decent on some old systems, but even at 4.5GHz i7s it still can be cpu bottlnecked.

Bangtail, pls run bench2 whin your beset system, and confirm.

Ty

I'd recommend the mugen 2 as far as coolers go, it's a lot cheaper and slightly less enormous. If you change boards/cpu every couple of months you'd be better off with a more expensive one because of the mounting, fine for the first few times but not designed for constant removal and remounting.

I'd recommend the mugen 2 as far as coolers go, it's a lot cheaper and slightly less enormous. If you change boards/cpu every couple of months you'd be better off with a more expensive one because of the mounting, fine for the first few times but not designed for constant removal and remounting.

The NH-14D is not the best cooler on the market, not to start a flame war, it just isn't. It is a good cooler, there is no doubt about that, but there are other equally good ones.

Benchmark 2 (all vhigh, VD 4500, 1080p, post off) = 22

Edited by BangTail

a whopping 9 fps here :yay: q6600@2.9 and a 8800gtx.

The NH-14D is not the best cooler on the market, not to start a flame war, it just isn't. It is a good cooler, there is no doubt about that, but there are other equally good ones.

Ty, no flame wars from me, everyone has right to express his option :)

I will buy next system only when it will be capable to run that bench on 30+fps, and i hope sandy bridge socker r, at 5+GHz can do that, now i get like 15, on 1680 alll very high 1600VD and AA and pp off

Edited by zaira

I was thinking of getting a new system. How well would this run arma2:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 995.

2GB DDR2 Memory (< 800MHz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

I was thinking of getting a new system. How well would this run arma2:

AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 995.

2GB DDR2 Memory (< 800MHz)

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

I'd get something with 4GB, DDR3 and a more modern gpu.

Ty, no flame wars from me, everyone has right to express his option :)

I will buy next system only when it will be capable to run that bench on 30+fps, and i hope sandy bridge socker r, at 5+GHz can do that, now i get like 15, on 1680 alll very high 1600VD and AA and pp off

I doubt Sandy Bridge E is going to offer ~50% more performance over the 980.

Edited by BangTail

Yeah, but on his settings you'd probably get 30 fps with your gulftown.

I doubt Sandy Bridge E is going to offer ~50% more performance over the 980.

I think it will be 20% better per clock, and with higher overclock (like 5GHz+) it could reach 30+fps... but this is realy oftopic, we are speculating about something that at best is 8 month away....

Yeah, but on his settings you'd probably get 30 fps with your gulftown.

I'm talking about maxed, I can easily get it up to 30 FPS if I turn some things down.

Sandy Bridge E and Waimea bay should be interesting though. Kepler will arrive at roughly the same time :D

Edited by BangTail