Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I just got a new GTX460, then realized it requires two extra power inputs, I have none now

Any thought? get new power units?

Yes, a new psu is recommended. There are molex (hd/cdrom power) to 6-pin plugs but if your psu has not one of them I't probably too weak on the 12V line.

---------- Post added at 09:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

Thanks for the response! :)

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Also if anyone can tell me the motherboard fir this I'd greatly appreciate it. I can't find it. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6634283&Sku=SYX-1053

They don't make cpu's for that socket (775) anymore, the motherboard has ddr3 which is odd, not many 775 mobo's have that because you really cant notice the difference with ddr2.

Why are you interested in that pc? it has a slow cpu, slow gpu and cant really be upgraded. arma performance will be terrible unless you play at really really low settings. Also, it's pretty expensive for what you get, overall a bad deal.

this pc is only $60 more but it's gpu is more than twice as fast and the cpu is a lot more powerfull as well.

Edited by Leon86

this pc is only $60 more but it's gpu is more than twice as fast and the cpu is a lot more powerfull as well.

For ~600€-in you can upgrade and get a phenom II 955be / gtx460 1go / 2x2go / corsaire vx 550w / GA-MA785GT-UD3H => not the best computer in the world but goods perfs for the price. (We can get that in France and... we're not the best country for cheap computer parts.)

Sure, I5/I7 are better but 1156/1366 platform cost a lot more :(

I'm getting that comp just to get started. Later on I'll be upgrading everything. I'm on a budget so I was trying to find a computer to begin with. Arma 2 isn't the only game I'm going to be playing on that.

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Also my friend has a computer just like that but has a better graphics card less memory and has ddr2 and plays arma 2 fairly well on it. He knows alot on on computers so he'll be walking me through stuff.

I'm getting that comp just to get started. Later on I'll be upgrading everything. I'm on a budget so I was trying to find a computer to begin with. Arma 2 isn't the only game I'm going to be playing on that.

Also my friend has a computer just like that but has a better graphics card less memory and has ddr2 and plays arma 2 fairly well on it. He knows alot on on computers so he'll be walking me through stuff.

If you want to upgrade pretty much everything and are on a budget you should look at secondhand systems imo. It's a waste to spend $650 on that piece of junk. But it's your money, not mine.

The Ibuypower system is twice as fast, I'm not kidding or exaggerating.

The rig I'm looking to buy off of newegg has a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-Express Graphics Card"

Is this any good, it seems like the best option for my budget. I'm not looking to max out my graphics either.

The rig I'm looking to buy off of newegg has a "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB PCI-Express Graphics Card"

Is this any good, it seems like the best option for my budget. I'm not looking to max out my graphics either.

GTX460 good card, there are better but this should run the game fine for you

Hebrew Hammer, I saw your other post and would strongly advise you choose that third PC with i5 and the GTX 460. It's a MUCH better investment than those other rigs.

Since it's an IBUYPOWER, I'd hope that just about everything on it would be upgradable - I would think there'd be ZERO proprietary parts or strange bioses in it that would prevent upgrades.

I just had my hands on a GTX 460, the MSI Cyclone 1GB one. It had the best cooler I've ever seen on a video card but it's performance was not a big enough jump over my GTX 260 so I ended up returning it. I was suprised...I had it completely stable up to 900Mhz on the GPU but it still wasn't worth it for me.

I think a GTX 460 would be a fine card for A2/OA.

BTW, not sure which GTX 460 you're referring to, but the 1GB is worth getting over the 768MB one.

BTW, not sure which GTX 460 you're referring to, but the 1GB is worth getting over the 768MB one.

Yeah but (as always with mid to high end gpu's) the price difference is higher than the performance difference. The 768 MB version is 150 euro's and the 1GB is 190.

Well, I have not been able to play Arma 2 or O.A.H because I don't have a computer that can run it. I played Arma on my laptop but it was far from perfect. I'm gonna start finally saving up some money to build a good desktop, Build me an idea deskktop on new egg, and send me the link. Budget is around $1500.

Well I'm a total PC noob, I mean literally no experience. I was thinking at getting an Alienware, so finding that one will save me a couple hundred bucks.. I figure that last one would be a good stock computer. I'm not looking for super performance, just enough to run the game cleanly.

Well, I have not been able to play Arma 2 or O.A.H because I don't have a computer that can run it. I played Arma on my laptop but it was far from perfect. I'm gonna start finally saving up some money to build a good desktop, Build me an idea deskktop on new egg, and send me the link. Budget is around $1500.

went to newegg and looked up $1500 desktop.

it took maybe 30 seconds

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227273

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Ok guys after few days of looking around on different sites and thinking shall i buy or save for holiday ive come to the conclusion i need new pc :D

This is what iam goin for http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=149178 i know shitty keyboard and did nt bother with sound card but what do think will be able to get best out of arma thanks :)

Ok guys after few days of looking around on different sites and thinking shall i buy or save for holiday ive come to the conclusion i need new pc :D

This is what iam goin for http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom-pc-quote.php?id=149178 i know shitty keyboard and did nt bother with sound card but what do think will be able to get best out of arma thanks :)

You're choosing the overclocking service, if you overclock the i7-950 (or even the mainstream 930) will be just as fast as the 960 (on stock there's only 8% difference anyway), will save about 250,-

The only really expensive cpu that really clocks and performs better is the 980X as it's a 32nm 6-core instead of a 45nm quad.

And wireless lan, really? :)

Hi leon hmm so overclocking not worth it i did look at the i7980x oc gulftown

but ive set myself £2500 limit dont really want go over it.

As for the lan card hmm was nt really sure about that i mean i run my pc wireless upstairs with a dongle thing so connects to the router downstairs.

So i thought the card was just like a built in dongle right? lol

Maybe you can have ago building 1 on the site for me and link me the quote ;-)

Edited by muttly

Hi leon hmm so overclocking not worth it i did look at the i7980x oc gulftown

but ive set myself £2500 limit dont really want go over it.

As for the lan card hmm was nt really sure about that i mean i run my pc wireless upstairs with a dongle thing so connects to the router downstairs.

So i thought the card was just like a built in dongle right? lol

Maybe you can have ago building 1 on the site for me and link me the quote ;-)

Overclocking IS worth it, only the processor isn't. They'll probably clock the 930, 950 and 960 to about 4Ghz, after that things get more difficult. By 8% difference on stock I mean the stock speeds of the 960 compared to the 950. Intel basically makes 2 kinds of quadcore processor, the 9xx series and the 7xx/8xx series. Then they clock them on slighly different speeds and sell the slightly faster processors for rediculous prices.

Edited by Leon86

Ok mate so if i choose the 950 instead and what about the wireless card i do need that right ? it is what i think it is.

Also they just replied they reckon the 850psu is enough?

hmm here s link to the dvd drives not sure which 1 to pick http://www.computerplanet.co.uk/custom/corei7/step2.html

and they did nt have that psu so ive chosen Corsair 850W Advanced (CMPSU-850HXUK) - Modular

is it worht spending £50 on extreme case wireing or that just another scam ...they should be doin that anyway

Edit oh i see what you mean now sata/ide

also does it matter which way round i pick my drives hardrive 1 is 1 TB (1000 GB) SATA-II Western Digital (WD10EARS) - 64 MB - Caviar Green

hard drive 2 OCZ Vertex 2E SATA-II 60 GB Solid State HDD - Silent

i was just goin to install arma on harddrive 2 nothing else

or should i switch them so there the other way round OCZ Vertex 2E SATA-II 60 GB Solid State HDD - Silent is drive 1?

Edited by muttly

I'm not a big fan of wireless connections but if you're close to the router it should be ok. 850 will be ok for the pc, if you want to add another 480 in the future you should stick with the 1000.

If you don't even a good 750W will do fine. A Seasonic X-750 is a really great psu, dunno if they have that one there. It will actually deliver 750W on the +12V line alone. It's so efficient that the fan actually stops at low loads because it's not needed.

Edit, and another thing, get a SATA dvd drive, those pata/ide cables are horrible.

Edited by Leon86

i was just goin to install arma on harddrive 2 nothing else

or should i switch them so there the other way round OCZ Vertex 2E SATA-II 60 GB Solid State HDD - Silent is drive 1?

The SSD should be used for the OS and anything you use regularly. The HDD should be used for storage and things that you use infrequently.

As you saved me few hundred pound on the cpu is it worth getting windows ultimate or not really?

Also i edited post above with few questions lol thanks for your help leon.

Hey Bangtail just intime 0/

Ok thanks mate so ssd should be drive 1

may well upgrade to 120gb ssd still below my budget ;-)

Edited by muttly

As you saved me few hundred pound on the cpu is it worth getting windows ultimate or not really?

Also i edited post above with few questions lol thanks for your help leon.

Hey Bangtail just intime 0/

Ok thanks mate so ssd should be drive 1

Indeed :)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare

Edited by BangTail

Windows ultimate is not worth it, professional might be because you can use XP mode if you have an ancient scanner or something. Dunno what the price difference is, professional is a lot cheaper here compared to ultimate because you can buy an OEM version in the shops, microsoft don't seem to care.

Edited by Leon86

It has been done thanks for your help guys i dont have clue about pc's last time i paid roughly the same amount for a q6600 with 8800gt sli hahah few years ago now such a scam dell

Fuck it the old man goin do his nut instead sorting my life out i transfer money for new pc and 5k for runaway trip to thailand :D

jack daniels is a wonderful thing:rolleyes: