Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hey guys, wondering if some of the more knowledgeable guru's here can help me out. First let me start by giving a rundown of what I have:

Video: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Motherboard: ASRock X58 Supercomputer LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

PSU: Silverstone OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI & CrossFire Ready

CPU: Intel Core i7 (HT turned off)

Memory: 6GB (6 x 1GB) OCZ DDR3 SDRAM (1333MHz DDR3-1333/PC3-10600)

Monitor: HYUNDAI W220d Black 22" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD

HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (OS, BU's)

HDD2: Western Digital 1TB (programs, games, music, etc)

Sound: Creative PCI Express X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Now when I play Combined Ops--with and without beta's) I admit the playability isn't half bad. I do get hit now and then performance-wise, especially with non-desert maps, which really has me a bit confused, because I would have figured my system would allow me to play just about maxed?

Here's my current settings:

Visibility: 3061

Quality: Very High

Interface: 1680x1050

3d Res: 1680 x 1050

Texture: High

Vid Memory: Very High

Anisotropic: Normal

Anti-aliasing: Disabled

Terrain: Normal

Objects Detail: Very High

Shadows: Normal

Post Process: Normal

Is there anything I can do to squeeze more juice without losing much visually? Do I use anything like -cpucount or anything like that? Any help, suggestions, tweaks you could offer would be appreciated, fellas. Thanks in advance! :)

Hey guys, wondering if some of the more knowledgeable guru's here can help me out. First let me start by giving a rundown of what I have:

Video: Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon HD 4870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Motherboard: ASRock X58 Supercomputer LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX

PSU: Silverstone OP1000-E 1000W ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V SLI & CrossFire Ready

CPU: Intel Core i7 (HT turned off)

Memory: 6GB (6 x 1GB) OCZ DDR3 SDRAM (1333MHz DDR3-1333/PC3-10600)

Monitor: HYUNDAI W220d Black 22" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD

HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (OS, BU's)

HDD2: Western Digital 1TB (programs, games, music, etc)

Sound: Creative PCI Express X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series

Now when I play Combined Ops--with and without beta's) I admit the playability isn't half bad. I do get hit now and then performance-wise, especially with non-desert maps, which really has me a bit confused, because I would have figured my system would allow me to play just about maxed?

Is there anything I can do to squeeze more juice without losing much visually? Do I use anything like -cpucount or anything like that? Any help, suggestions, tweaks you could offer would be appreciated, fellas. Thanks in advance! :)

Turn your shadows up to high/vhigh (this will cause the GPU render them as opposed to the CPU) and lower your view distance to ~2500, switch your object detail to high. Switching texture detail to normal might help as well.

PS : The system doesn't exist that can play A2 maxed (at least outside of the defence sector).

Edited by BangTail

BangTail,

Thanks, I'll give that a go. And yeah, maybe I could if I went nuclear-powered? ;) :P

Hi,

I have made some videos comparing the different graphic settings. Take a look to them. I have noticed that there is almost no difference from normal to high textures and anisotropic set to high helps a lot to improve quality texture. When I set textures to high or very high I got stuttering when spawning or there were many vehicles around me all of that despite I have 4 GB RAM and 1GB VMemory.

Personally I have set my settings like that.

Visibility: 2600

Interface: 1920x1080

3d Res: 2560x1440

Texture: Normal

Anisotropic: High

Objects Detail: Normal

Shadows: High

Post Process: Disabled

My hardware:

QuadCore 2.50 no i7

4GB RAM 800MHz

ATI 5770 1 GB

Most of the time 40fps, in cities 30-35 in some occasions 25.

With those settings I play perfectly in every situation and even when things get busy.

I leave you the link, I find them very interesting.

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/jt_medina/?action=view&current=Arma2OAcomparison.gif&newest=1

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/jt_medina/?action=view&current=Arma2OAcomparison3-1.gif&newest=1

3bQDJIgLyU4

3bQDJIgLyU4

I hope you find it useful.

Edited by jtmedina

Hi,

I have made some videos comparing the different graphic settings. Take a look to them. I have noticed that there is almost no difference from normal to high textures and anisotropic set to high helps a lot to improve quality texture. When I set textures to high or very high I got stuttering when spawning or there were many vehicles around me all of that despite I have 4 GB RAM and 1GB VMemory.

Personally I have set my settings like that.

Interface: 1920x1080

3d Res: 2560x1440

With those settings I play perfectly in every situation and even when things get busy.

I leave you the link, I find them very interesting.

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/jt_medina/?action=view&current=Arma2OAcomparison.gif&newest=1

http://s930.photobucket.com/albums/ad145/jt_medina/?action=view&current=Arma2OAcomparison3-1.gif&newest=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQDJIgLyU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpaWdp-11Fc

I hope you find it useful.

Might be more useful if you post your specs as well.

The Vid Memory setting - What exactly does this do - Where should mine most likely be if I'm running a Geforce 8800 with 512 RAM...

BangTail,

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

You're most welcome :)

I'm going to build this configuration:

- INTEL Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 1GB Vapor-X GDDR5 2xDVI/DP/HDMI

- ASUS 1366 P6T DELUXE V2

- DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 12GB Corsair XMS3 Classic (6x2GB)

- Western Digital 1TB WD1002FAEX 7200rpm 64MB Black

- INTEL SSD 80GB 2.5" X25-M Postville retail <--- win7 + A2 combined op

- Samsung LCD 25.5" SyncMaster T260HD Rose Black

- other less important stuff

Probably i should invest more in CPU power, but a good OC will do :)

What kind of performance may i expect? At which settings? Tnx :)

Also do you suggest me to get a sound card? I'm going to put ~2100 € anyway into this so what the hell :rolleyes:

Quoting myself, Anyone?

Might be more useful if you post your specs as well.

Thanks for the thumbs up.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 AM ----------

The Vid Memory setting - What exactly does this do - Where should mine most likely be if I'm running a Geforce 8800 with 512 RAM...

Very High is 1GB Vram, High is for 512

By the way can anyone tell me how many posts I need before I can post youtube videos. Because I sent an email to the admin asking it with no answer.

Edited by jtmedina

Amd Athlon II X4 635- 2.9 GHz

Asus Radeon 4870 1 Gb

4 Gb RAM 1333 MHz

Win Xp 32 bit

What do you think? Medium/High? I will play on 1280:1024

Amd Athlon II X4 635- 2.9 GHz

Asus Radeon 4870 1 Gb

4 Gb RAM 1333 MHz

Win Xp 32 bit

What do you think? Medium/High? I will play on 1280:1024

yes, at that resolution medium/high shouldn't be a problem for that gpu, cpu is fast enough as well, although in some extreme missions with a million billion units and scripts it might be the bottleneck.

Hi there !

Wondering if you could tell me whether or not i will be having a good time with this game on this system.

CPU and Memory:

Intel Core i3 dual core 330M.

2.26GHz processor speed.

3MB cache.

4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

500GB SATA hard drive.

Dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics card with 512MB memory.

Any help would be great !

Thanks in advance !

Hi there !

Wondering if you could tell me whether or not i will be having a good time with this game on this system.

CPU and Memory:

Intel Core i3 dual core 330M.

2.26GHz processor speed.

3MB cache.

4GB DDR3 RAM memory.

500GB SATA hard drive.

Dedicated nVIDIA GeForce GT 310M graphics card with 512MB memory.

Any help would be great !

Thanks in advance !

My brother has a similar computer.

Interface: 1280x720

3d Res: 1280x720

Vid Memory: Normal

Anti-aliasing: Disabled or low (I didn't notice a big hit in the performance)

He runs the game very smoothly. But do not try to increase the resolution beyond 1280x1024 It may hit the performance.

Edited by jtmedina

My brother has a similar computer.

Interface: 1280x720

3d Res: 1280x720

Vid Memory: Normal

Anti-aliasing: Disabled or low (I didn't notice a big hit in the performance)

He runs the game very smoothly. But do not try to increase the resolution beyond 1280x1024 It may hit the performance.

Thank you very much.

By the way can anyone tell me how many posts I need before I can post youtube videos. Because I sent an email to the admin asking it with no answer.

Anyone can post youtube videos, just click the youtube.gif button and post the end of the youtube URL:

[YOUTUBE]346FvjpXoN8[/YOUTUBE]

346FvjpXoN8

I received no email asking about it, which address did you send to?

Anyone can post youtube videos, just click the youtube.gif button and post the end of the youtube URL:

[YOUTUBE]346FvjpXoN8[/YOUTUBE]

346FvjpXoN8

I received no email asking about it, which address did you send to?

I know if you want to post a youtube link you have to add that last code, but it simply didn't work to me in the first place.

I sent the email to one of the many admins available. :)

*RalphWiggum*, OFteam, *Major Fubar*, *hoz*, *raedor*, *Rhodite*, *Franze*, *Sniperwolf572*, *Kronzky*, *Placebo*, *Berghoff*, *W0lle*

But the issue is already solved.

I had both Radeon 5970 and 5870. I wonder since Radeon 5970 is suppose to be more powerfull than 5870, how come with 5870 I get 50-51 FPS after benchmarking but with the 5970, I hardly end up with 35 FPS? does this make sense?

I had both Radeon 5970 and 5870. I wonder since Radeon 5970 is suppose to be more powerfull than 5870, how come with 5870 I get 50-51 FPS after benchmarking but with the 5970, I hardly end up with 35 FPS? does this make sense?

I've had several 5970s and I had many problems with them in many games. I don't think CF ever worked properly in A2 tbh and especially not on the 5970. It definitely seemed better on the 5870 CF but 480 SLI kills them both hands down in my experience.

I think you should blame the driver.

Because since you get lower framerate with a more powerful videocard unless you are using a different videocard configuration or using a different setup it doesn't make any sense.

I have my 5770 and I get 40 on the field and 30-35 in cities. I am not sure but guessing maybe the drivers for the 5770 are ''better debugged'' than the 5970...just guessing, for sure the 5970 really is a monster video card.

Hi guys and thanks for all the advice in the past. With the risk of sounding like an idiot, I do have a pretty big question now:

My PC just went FUBAR so I'm looking into getting a new system. In regards to horsepower, I'm looking at something that will run Arma 2 and OA well, as I mainly use the PC for Arma and Open Office.

I'm thinking about getting an ATI 5770, but I'm not sure what I should be looking at in the CPU department. Do I want to get a quad core or a dual core? Will the i3 give me good results or should I get the i5?

Remember, I'm pretty much going to build this around running Arma 1/2 and OA in medium to good quality for as little $ as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

I just upgraded from a Radian 4850 (512M ram) to an Nvidia GTX 460 (1G ram). It's a big improvement, I can now play ARMA 2 at 1920x1200 with all the graphics options maxed out :)

Hi guys and thanks for all the advice in the past. With the risk of sounding like an idiot, I do have a pretty big question now:

My PC just went FUBAR so I'm looking into getting a new system. In regards to horsepower, I'm looking at something that will run Arma 2 and OA well, as I mainly use the PC for Arma and Open Office.

I'm thinking about getting an ATI 5770, but I'm not sure what I should be looking at in the CPU department. Do I want to get a quad core or a dual core? Will the i3 give me good results or should I get the i5?

Remember, I'm pretty much going to build this around running Arma 1/2 and OA in medium to good quality for as little $ as possible.

Thanks in advance :)

If you buy the i5-750 (only quadcore i5) you'll be sure your cpu is as fast as cpu's get for arma 2. Other i5's are dualcores like the i3, so you might as well get an i3 if you want intel and quads are too expensive.

If you want to spend less you could look at amd phenom II quads, they're less expensive and you'll save some on the motherboards too.

For the gpu I'd say the nvidia 460 (1GB) is the one to get now, nvidia sells them at a fairly low price considering the performance. Although they're still a bit above the 5770 prices. But I'd rather get a 460 for 200 euro's than a 5770 for 140.

5970 is actually a 5850 X2, but with 5870 chipset, which means it'll have a lot of microstutter and quite high tempetatures because of 2 GPU cores.

Monday comes my GTX 480...will give me a boost, hopefully.

5970 is actually a 5850 X2, but with 5870 chipset, which means it'll have a lot of microstutter and quite high tempetatures because of 2 GPU cores.

Actually, it's two 'high binned' 5870 GPUs that are underclocked to conform to the PCIe spec.

Edited by BangTail