Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

hey, i just ordered a computer which is very very cheap, and apparently very good deal:s, i was wondering if Arma2 (and op[eration arrowhead, but i understand that arrowhead runs slightly beter) will run and what settings it will probably run on (with a 'never below 30' fps(obviously this dosnt include stuff like putting 500 ai in a large city, or with lots of fire and explosions) and if i should consider upgrading the cpu before i buy a screen (currently using some VGA cord to my plasma:P) or should i just buy a good keyboard, mouse, moniter before i consider upgrading) i am no longer what my indian friend would call 'your typical white guy' as i have been researching for a while, and i know what to look for, but i was wondering if anyone with a similar system would be able to run at with a playable fps, i only spent 650bucks so i will have another 6hundred to upgrade at the end of the year, but yeah, please reply (preferably by personal message):)

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

LOL i forgot to add specs :P um.... here they are:

AMD Athlon II x2 Dual Core 225 @ 3.1Ghz 2MB Cache

4GB DDR3 PC-106000/1333Mhz (2x2GB) RAM

1TB 7200rpm SATA 2 Hard Disk Drive

ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB Graphics Card (PCIE)

Minimum 500W PSU supplied

4 x DDR3 Memory Slots

1 x PCI Express x16

2 x PCI Express x1, 3 x PCI

1 x UltraDMA 133/100/66/33 6 x SATA

thanks in advance- please pm me if possible

Will that motherboard be able to play arma 2 if I upgrade my video card, RAM, pcu, and cpu?

This is what I have:

Vista Home Premium Sp1

Aspire m1201 Motherboard

ATI Radeon 2100 Video Card

Ram 2bg

AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4550e 2.3 Ghz

This is what I'm lookign at:

AMD Athlon x4 640 Quad Core

EVGA Geforce GTX 460

Corsair 4gb Dual Channel DDR3 RAM

ULTRA LSP 650 Watt Power

Hello there. I'm running XP SP3 by way of Parallels on my Macbook Pro.(mouthful)

Here are my Mac specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz

4GB ram

NVIDIA GeForce 9400m/9600m GT w/ 512 VRAM

I would like to know an unbiased opinion on such. As well as any recommendations you can offer.

Also, I did try to download the Operation Arrowhead demo from armedassault.info to see if/how well it would run on my system. I ran into a whole mess of problems such as the "Display adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8" and "Cannot create 3D device" (D3DERR_INVALIDCALL) error messages.

Let me make it clear that i am not asking for troubleshooting advice in this thread.

I have an inkling that these may be problems related to a foreign version of the demo, or maybe just my incompetence.

But, if i were to shell out the whopping 40 DOLLARS to purchase the full versions of both these games, do you fine people think i would have a chance at being able to play this terrific game on my system?

Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Hi!, I've got at this moment an Athlon x2 7850(dual core@3.1Ghz), should I swap it to a Phenom x4 9750(quad 2.4ghz)? The multiplier in phenom is locked upwards so I can't overclock it that way, only by raising fsb. The dual core won't overclock over 3.1ghz too or it will not be stable.

TL;DR version: Is 3.1GHZ dual core better than 2.4ghz quad core processor?

Edited by Primarch
TL;DR

I'm going to build this configuration:

- INTEL Core i7 930 2.8Ghz

- ATI HD5870 Sapphire 1GB Vapor-X GDDR5 2xDVI/DP/HDMI

- ASUS 1366 P6T DELUXE V2

- DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 12GB Corsair XMS3 Classic (6x2GB)

- Western Digital 1TB WD1002FAEX 7200rpm 64MB Black

- INTEL SSD 80GB 2.5" X25-M Postville retail <--- win7 + A2 combined op

- Samsung LCD 25.5" SyncMaster T260HD Rose Black

- other less important stuff

Probably i should invest more in CPU power, but a good OC will do :)

What kind of performance may i expect? At which settings? Tnx :)

Also do you suggest me to get a sound card? I'm going to put ~2100 € anyway into this so what the hell :rolleyes:

Hello there. I'm running XP SP3 by way of Parallels on my Macbook Pro

you did try the arrowhead demo with bootcamp XP instead of parallels right?

Hi guys,

I have looked through this thread and searched around a bit but I'm still unsure.

What should I upgrade, my CPU or graphics card to get smoother Arrowhead playing.

I have read clock speed is very important on the CPU. Would I be better to upgrade to an newer chip like an i750? I'm a bit out of touch with the newer technology. Any advice is appreciated. Please reccomend what is currently in the "sweet spot" for price/performance.

Thanks in advance

I currently have:

Win XP

Intel duel core e8400 running at 3.6 ghz

ATI 4890 1 gig ram

4 gig ram

Thanks again

you did try the arrowhead demo with bootcamp XP instead of parallels right?

Nay. I did not. Do you think that running XP on Bootcamp rather than Parallels would be a wise course of action for this game? Or just in general?

Hi guys, I'm intending to build a new computer to fit my gaming needs and was looking for opinions on how it would play Arma.. Here's the stuff I'm planning to use:

Motherboard

Asus P7P55 Deluxe Motherboard ($150)

CPU

Intel Core i5 750 ($200)

RAM

Corsair XMS3 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 RAM ($100)

Video Card

Diamond Radeon HD 5850 1GB ($320)

Sound Card

Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer ($90)

Hard Drive

Western Digital Caviar Black 750 GB ($75)

DVD Burner

LG GH22NS50R DVDRW Drive ($28)

Case

Cooler Master HAF 922M ATX Mid Tower Case ($90)

Power Supply

Cooler Master GX Series 650W ($70)

TOTAL COST: $1123 (USD)

@Flightster, that system should run arma 2 fine, if you want to save some you could look at the nvidia 460 1GB cards, they perform mostly on par with the 5850's but they're less expensive for some reason.

Hi everybody,

I am new to these forums, i have been lurking around a while and have been very intersted in the ARMA series. I played Arma 1 and OpF. Just a question on whether my pc (in sig) would be able to run ArmA 2 and OA and at what levels. If not, what would i need to upgrade.

Thanks

Edited by RaZoR1472

@razor, if you want to know if it runs try the demo. If you get terrible framerates you should upgrade the gpu. Make sure your PSU can handle the new gpu or get a new psu also.

@razor, if you want to know if it runs try the demo. If you get terrible framerates you should upgrade the gpu. Make sure your PSU can handle the new gpu or get a new psu also.

Ok, thx.

Had not realised that there was an OA demo.:o

Edited by RaZoR1472

Can I Run It ?

You must get alot of these questions so i aplogise in advance

I am getting a new laptop which is a Acer Aspire 7736G

Specs :

Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 - 2.13 GHz

RAM - 4 GB

Hard Drive - 320 GB

Operating System - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce G210M

Thanks in advance guys

Ok, thx.

Had not realised that there was an OA demo.:o

Your system should run it fine , I would suspect (as long as you keep the shadows low and anti-lis).

I have an 720 XPS system -

Quad Core 2.4 Ghz

GT8800 Vid Card 512 RAM -

4 GB RAM

I get around 40-44 FPS with shadows low and ANTILIS = OFF

If I turn on ANTI-Lis to low it definitely helps with appearnce.....though knocks FPS down to around 30-35...

Hi guys,

I have looked through this thread and searched around a bit but I'm still unsure.

What should I upgrade, my CPU or graphics card to get smoother Arrowhead playing.

I have read clock speed is very important on the CPU. Would I be better to upgrade to an newer chip like an i750? I'm a bit out of touch with the newer technology. Any advice is appreciated. Please reccomend what is currently in the "sweet spot" for price/performance.

Thanks in advance

I currently have:

Win XP

Intel duel core e8400 running at 3.6 ghz

ATI 4890 1 gig ram

4 gig ram

Thanks again

JUst wondering if anyone had a chance to consider my question?

Your system should run it fine , I would suspect (as long as you keep the shadows low and anti-lis).

I have an 720 XPS system -

Quad Core 2.4 Ghz

GT8800 Vid Card 512 RAM -

4 GB RAM

I get around 40-44 FPS with shadows low and ANTILIS = OFF

If I turn on ANTI-Lis to low it definitely helps with appearnce.....though knocks FPS down to around 30-35...

thanks, currently downloading demo for both A2 and OA. finger crossed:D

Few Video Questions.....For those XP users running Nvidia cards -

What do you currently have for the following settings within your Nvidia Control Panal...

Max pre Rendered frames?? I have mine set to 4??

Texture filtering (anisotropic sample) ON OR OFF??

Texture filtering (Neg LOD Bias) ALLOW OR OFF??

Threaded Optimzation ... ON OR OFF??

Triple Buffering ON OR OFF

Vertical SYNC ON OR OFF

What is THE best cpu out there right now, requiring no overclocking or anything? Next year I will be having a mega upgrade and want to build my PC based around this, so obviously the CPU is my concern.

Also, Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

What is THE best cpu out there right now, requiring no overclocking or anything? Next year I will be having a mega upgrade and want to build my PC based around this, so obviously the CPU is my concern.

Also, Windows 7 64 bit or 32 bit?

why would you base your pc of next year around the current "best" cpu?

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

JUst wondering if anyone had a chance to consider my question?

You're running a 3.6 c2d and a 4890 already, if you want to notice a real performance and graphics increase you'll probably have to upgrade both I think. I wouldn't know about the arrowhead campain but I suspect that'll have a high cpu load. If you overclock, the i5-750 is probably the best processor price/performance wise, at least for arma. Also, the performance is very high, the only cpu that really would outperform it is the 980X, and that one is pretty expensive.

If you have the i5-750 and want more eyecandy you could consider another 4890 and crossfire them.

If all you do is play online I doubt a new cpu is going to help much, then again, I could be wrong, you could play with settings a bit and see what helps performance and what kills it. some settings are cpu intensive and some are gpu intensive. anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, postprocessing are purely gpu. Terrain and model detail and viewdistance are more heavy on the cpu but of course also stress the gpu a bit.

Hello,

anyone yet tryed playing Arma2, newest patch OR Operation Arrowhead with a 6 core system?

Did you see increasing performance?

Hello,

anyone yet tryed playing Arma2, newest patch OR Operation Arrowhead with a 6 core system?

Did you see increasing performance?

Nope, same as 4 core and you still need to use the -cpucount (at least for the 980x) otherwise you get fest de la stutter.