Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

The 8400 is a very dated low end video card...its wonder that you can play the game at all!

definitly a video card..3 gigs ram are enough, since arma 2 cant use really more as 2 gigs. if you want to know, which card to buy, you should post your cpu also.

Well since arma does not use more then 2GB of RAM I would go with a better GPU. Besides if you have more then 3GB of RAM you need x64 OS and I hear ArmA runs worse on x64. I dunno for sure, could be the same on some systems.

The 8400 is a very dated low end video card...its wonder that you can play the game at all!

My machines always punched above its weight for some reason. Video card it is then, I'll post the exact specs later but I have to go out now.

Punctuation please xD

And yes....it seems time for a new rig o´yours

Have a look at my above post to get a feel for what HW is running A2/A2OA at which speeds.

And the price-tags of some of my components seem shocking (monitor eg..becuase its already close to 5 and a half year old^^ ) but have reduced over the years...

So maybe you could get a decent rig without spending that much cash if you just buy the components alone and build your rig manually by yourself which also spares you tons of money and in some cases crappy HW that still tends to find its way into stock-shop-sold systems.

Hopefully this was informative to you because Overclocking your current rig seems not sooooo much of an option (or do you have a stock of liquid nitrogen handy ? ^^ ) and ArmA loves Multi-CoreCPU´s.

Hopefully seeing you soon on the battlefields !

Thanks. Pretty much what i expected to hear i guess, seems i wont be playing Arma for a long time to come. Thanks for the help though.

What settings would best suit the following specifications at a resolution of 1680x1050?

Core i5 750 3.44GHz

4GB DDR3 1600MHz

ATI HD5870 1GB GDDR5

Those specs are very near mine and I don't even have the game yet, so I'm thinking above normal or high. Basically, won't look drop dead absolutely amazing but will look satisfyingly decent with good performance. If thats your system go buy it, as its only like €20 which ain't much for a game, as you will get good performance and will be able to play around with the settings to, to find balance with performance and quality. If not, still a good system but wait for more replies by the very informed people of the hardware+gaming society.

I have a P5K/EPU motherboard, 4GB of ram, a E6850 @ 3.0Ghz Intel Core2 DUO and 2x 3870's with Crossfire, will it run at 30~fps?

What settings would best suit the following specifications at a resolution of 1680x1050?

Core i5 750 3.44GHz

4GB DDR3 1600MHz

ATI HD5870 1GB GDDR5

All in High (except shadows) , visibility 3000m, pp off, aa normal

regards

Hey guys, I'm considering doing an upgrade and I'd like to be able to play ArmA 2. Could you give me some performance figures for ArmA 2 on this hardware?

Athlon II X3 440

GTS 250

2GB DDR3 RAM (might use 4GB if it would greatly increase ArmA 2's performance)

1024x768 resolution (possibly upgrading monitor later)

Windows XP (might upgrade to Windows 7 later if it would increase ArmA 2's performance)

Core i5 750 3.44GHz

4GB DDR3 1600MHz

ATI HD5870 1GB GDDR5

ALL FULL @ Viewdistance up to 6km :yay:

I am a complete and total idiot when it comes to computers, so thanks for taking the time to read this and help out, will my computer run boh ArmA 2, and Arma2 :AO , at any setting? If not, please recommend (relatively low budget bear in mind) any upgrades I could make?

------

Processor Intel® Core2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz

Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS

Gaming graphics 2303 MB Total available graphics memory

Primary hard disk 4GB Free (116GB Total)

Windows Vista Home Premium

System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Model N80Vb

Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM

System type 64-bit operating system

Number of processor cores 2

Storage

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 223 GB

Disk partition (C:) 4 GB Free (116 GB Total)

Disk partition (D:) 42 GB Free (107 GB Total)

Media drive (E:) CD/DVD

Media drive (F:) CD/DVDCD/DVD

Media drive (G:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS

Total available graphics memory 2303 MB

Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB

Dedicated system memory 0 MB

Shared system memory 1791 MB

Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8631

Primary monitor resolution 1280x800

DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

-----------------------------------

thanks for your time,

Switching back and forth between Chernarus/Utes and Takistan/Desert/Zargabad i can see the new trees made it far worse on performance. With my new system i play ARMA2's islands superbly and i can look at a huge forest without losing many FPS, but in Takistan looking at 6 trees with some bushes and grass my FPS dives big time.

BIS saying vegetation in OA being heavily optimized over ARMA2 im hoping that will come soon as it will be a very expensive trip having to upgrade again for OA.

With my new system i tried today to fly over Chernarus with the same settings as in Takistan and the difference is huge. Especially when zooming into areas with vegetation. The green areas of Takistan kills my PC completelly. Also PPE has to be switched off in OA compared to ARMA2 where i could have vhigh. Even low (to get shine and effects) takes too much power in certain situations (veggies again) so i have to shut it off completely and miss out on the nice effects.

Just an indicator how things work at this time in OA with my system. All defragged and tweaked til it bleeds. Been doing this for years after all. :) Hopefully patches come soon that fixes the vegetation in OA because as i see it at this time they are much less optimized compared to ARMA2's veggies.

Alex

Switching back and forth between Chernarus/Utes and Takistan/Desert/Zargabad i can see the new trees made it far worse on performance. With my new system i play ARMA2's islands superbly and i can look at a huge forest without losing many FPS, but in Takistan looking at 6 trees with some bushes and grass my FPS dives big time.

BIS saying vegetation in OA being heavily optimized over ARMA2 im hoping that will come soon as it will be a very expensive trip having to upgrade again for OA.

With my new system i tried today to fly over Chernarus with the same settings as in Takistan and the difference is huge. Especially when zooming into areas with vegetation. The green areas of Takistan kills my PC completelly. Also PPE has to be switched off in OA compared to ARMA2 where i could have vhigh. Even low (to get shine and effects) takes too much power in certain situations (veggies again) so i have to shut it off completely and miss out on the nice effects.

Just an indicator how things work at this time in OA with my system. All defragged and tweaked til it bleeds. Been doing this for years after all. :) Hopefully patches come soon that fixes the vegetation in OA because as i see it at this time they are much less optimized compared to ARMA2's veggies.

Alex

Hi.

Try to add -exThreads=5 to your startup parameters for OA.

For me it makes different from default -exThreads=7(that are default in OA)

I just popped in a new 5870 and got my mind blown. 1920x1200, everything on very high and view distance at 3k. And very playable in the few missions I tried.

Was coming from a 260gtx in a box with a core2duo 3.17 and 4gb.

After all the talk about the game being cpu heavy I wasnt expecting the gigantic performance bump i got. So anyone out there with similar specs debating on whether to make the plunge; go for it. :yay:

Just curious if anything is bottle-necking my system at all.

CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9950 Black Edition @ 2.6Ghz (Stock)

RAM: 8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard: FOXCONN A7DA-S/A7DA (Socket 940)

GPU: ATI Radeon HD4870x2 2GB VRAM

Audio: Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

HDD: 625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (IDE) x2

Is it my CPU or my HDD that's holding me back? Should I upgrade to a SSD? Or should I upgrade to the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb @ 3.4GHz??

I am thinking about purchasing a new CPU and SSD. I have the money to get both, but I'm not sure if that's the problem.

If you have then money, I would upgrade to to one of the X6s, probably the 1090T, though that RAM worries me slightly, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

On another matter: I tried out ArmA2 on my laptop to test it and was pleasantly surprised that I actually got something rather playable, with view distance of 2.5km, no AA, 16xAF, PP=VHigh, TexDetail=VHigh, ObjDetail=High, Shadows=Disabled, TerrainDetail=Normal, VidMemory=VHigh and 3D res at 1280x720 with interface res at 1600x900, I was getting a solid 30-40fps in urban areas with plenty of units in the editor. Happy face.

Edited by Dynamic Echo

If you have then money, I would upgrade to to one of the X6s, probably the 1090T, though that RAM worries me slightly, but there isn't much that can be done about that.

For some reason when I tried to overclock the RAM< my PC wouldn't start. My RAM is supposed to be running faster, but I can't speed it up. It ran faster before I upgraded to 8GB. I went from Corsair 2x2GB to OCZ 4x2GB.

I think I might wait and just buy a whole new computer next year. I heard rumors of ATI HD6xxx coming out soon.

hi i have a AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad core 2.60 ghz processor. I am planning to buy a new one, what type can i buy so that my motherboard can support it. i think i could buy a 3.2 quad x4 amd?

I have a few Fujitsu-Siemens Xeon Quad Core E5410 Processor - 2.33GHz (2x6MB) L2 Cache, 1333MHz Bus Speed knocking about.... Any Idea of any good gaming Mobo's I could put these in?

I'm Kinda trying to knock together a reasonable gaming rig to Run Combined ops.... But preferably for a cheapish price

hi i have a AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad core 2.60 ghz processor. I am planning to buy a new one, what type can i buy so that my motherboard can support it. i think i could buy a 3.2 quad x4 amd?

You would have to look into it, but I'm pretty sure that one of the new Phenom X6s would be compatible (1055t and 1090t), and hex-core does always sound good :D. But I would check first if I were you, I know more about Intel processors.

can i run Arma 2 with the AceMod 2 comfortably? help is much appreciated. thanks

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 FX-57 Processor with HyperTransport Technology

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Express 650 Watt peak power

Motherboard: Alienware® nForce™4 SLI™ Chipset Motherboard PCI Express

Graphics Processor: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 7800 GTX PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology

Video Optimizer: AlienAdrenaline: Video Performance Optimizer

Memory: 2GB Ultra Low Latency DDR PC-3200 SDRAM at 333MHz - 4 x 512MB