Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Ok, so how do defrag the HD and how can I change the weapons load out of each soldier class using the editor and outside of it?

Edited by Echo_2-7

How do you defrag a hard drive :O.

Oh well ok go to my computer and right click the drive go to properties and then click tools defrag now.

Hey guys, I will soon be getting a PC for college. I have two options but I don't know which one is better.

I can get a Dell XPS 9000

Windows 7 64 bit

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz

8 GB DDR3 Ram @ 1066MHz (I know, overkill, but thats minimum on the system)

750 GB HDD

Radeon 5870 1GB

I could get this for $1,619 with a monitor, soundcard, and other software included after an instant rebate. The original cost was $2,077.

Or, I could build a custom PC. I would rather do that than buy a dell but money is a factor as my parents insist on paying for most of the system and a custom PC would cost me more.

Now, I really only play a couple PC games with ArmA2 and soon to be OA being the most system demanding. Would the Dell system be able to run OA on mainly high settings at a decent resolution?

Thanks for the help.

So a quad core @ 2.00Ghz, or a Dual core @ 2.53Ghz. I can always overclock! :D

Back again, with my considered upgrades. How well will I run ARMA 2: CO with these specs?

Motherboard: Not sure. Stupid Maplins only showed the processor and card.

Would imagine some kind of ATX board though.

Graphics: XFX GT240.

Processor: AMD Phenom 8850 X3. (2500MHz)

Power Supply: 600w.

Memory: 2GB, might buy a 1GB card to stick in there to bring up to 3.

Hi, I've played Operation Flashpoint ELITE on the XBOX and still have it and enjoy it. But, I've read the PC version is better. I went on the Bohemia Interactive site and they said this site won an award for being the best so thought it would be a good place to start.

I have a PC, bit old now but I remember an old copy of flashpoint worked in its standard for, but not full high settings, but nearly as started to lag.

It has 2gig ram, nvidia geforce 7800GT graphics card and a 3200 CPU, 1gig ram (maybe 2). Thats all I know about it really. From what I'veread, it might just run ARMA2, am I right?

Will this mean I could run the newer ARMA2 game too? If anyone can give me some advice please that would be helpful. At present the Hard Drive has been formatted as I've just got a new laptop and thought about scrapping the PC, but if its worth upgrading then I'll keep it.

When I had it built, the person said I could put another 7800GT in to make it better, but they were over £300 each at the time so didn't. But I see I can now get a 2nd 7800GT off the the auction site for £35 second hand. But, are all 7800GT's the same or do I need to get another Nvidia one, there seem to be different makes and not being hardware minded, are they compatable? Would a second 7800GT bring it to a higher spec PC, any idea how much if it will and if ARMA2 will even run if I install another 7800gt as I see people are not using 9 series cards?

Anything else I could do at a reasonable price? If it costs too much I may stick to consoles, but they just don't have games like this or the mods and support.

Thank you for your help in advance. I currently play the INSANE 4x4 off road game as I enjoy rc rock crawling and download extra cars and maps so have a little idea of what to do and will read the notes on the forum before I ask questions about.

But, just need to know if my PC is any good or do I really need a new one? I may not play online much as I only have a 1/2 meg connection where we live as we live in the middle of the country so broadband is not great.

Thank you

Boos Boy.

Hey guys, I will soon be getting a PC for college. I have two options but I don't know which one is better.

I can get a Dell XPS 9000

Windows 7 64 bit

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz

8 GB DDR3 Ram @ 1066MHz (I know, overkill, but thats minimum on the system)

750 GB HDD

Radeon 5870 1GB

I could get this for $1,619 with a monitor, soundcard, and other software included after an instant rebate. The original cost was $2,077.

Or, I could build a custom PC. I would rather do that than buy a dell but money is a factor as my parents insist on paying for most of the system and a custom PC would cost me more.

Now, I really only play a couple PC games with ArmA2 and soon to be OA being the most system demanding. Would the Dell system be able to run OA on mainly high settings at a decent resolution?

Thanks for the help.

8 GB is the minimum, they're not running triple channel then? strange.

The dell with the rebate is probably on par with a custom build cost-wise, although to be sure you'd have to guesstimate the value of the monitor etc.

The main advantages of custom are you can overclock and save money by re-using old parts. If you're not going to re-use anything you might as well get the dell.

The dell should be able to run the game on stock speed just fine, although a custom & overclocked system will run it fine-er :p

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Hi, I've played Operation Flashpoint ELITE on the XBOX and still have it and enjoy it. But, I've read the PC version is better. I went on the Bohemia Interactive site and they said this site won an award for being the best so thought it would be a good place to start.

I have a PC, bit old now but I remember an old copy of flashpoint worked in its standard for, but not full high settings, but nearly as started to lag.

It has 2gig ram, nvidia geforce 7800GT graphics card and a 3200 CPU, 1gig ram (maybe 2). Thats all I know about it really. From what I'veread, it might just run ARMA2, am I right?

Will this mean I could run the newer ARMA2 game too? If anyone can give me some advice please that would be helpful. At present the Hard Drive has been formatted as I've just got a new laptop and thought about scrapping the PC, but if its worth upgrading then I'll keep it.

When I had it built, the person said I could put another 7800GT in to make it better, but they were over £300 each at the time so didn't. But I see I can now get a 2nd 7800GT off the the auction site for £35 second hand. But, are all 7800GT's the same or do I need to get another Nvidia one, there seem to be different makes and not being hardware minded, are they compatable? Would a second 7800GT bring it to a higher spec PC, any idea how much if it will and if ARMA2 will even run if I install another 7800gt as I see people are not using 9 series cards?

Anything else I could do at a reasonable price? If it costs too much I may stick to consoles, but they just don't have games like this or the mods and support.

Thank you for your help in advance. I currently play the INSANE 4x4 off road game as I enjoy rc rock crawling and download extra cars and maps so have a little idea of what to do and will read the notes on the forum before I ask questions about.

But, just need to know if my PC is any good or do I really need a new one? I may not play online much as I only have a 1/2 meg connection where we live as we live in the middle of the country so broadband is not great.

Thank you

Boos Boy.

There's a demo you can try, if performance is terrible even in the simplest of missions the full version isn't going to run much better. It is quite a big demo btw, will take a while on .5 Mbit.

And another 7800GT isn't going to help much with that processor, SLI needs cpu power as well and arma will already max the processor.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 AM ----------

Back again, with my considered upgrades. How well will I run ARMA 2: CO with these specs?

is it a phenomII? If it's not skip it and get at least an AthlonII(basically a PhenomII without L3 cache).

Once you get below a certain pricepoint the performance (and the performance/price) starts to drop drastically, I'd say the minimum you should buy is something like this:

Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 ~70 euro's

AMD Athlon II X3 425 ~70 euro's

XFX HD 4850 ~75 euro's or 50 secondhand, brand doesn't matter btw, that one's just cheapest around here

2GB kingston valueram ddr3 ~50 euro's

600w is not really essential, 4850's dont have a very high tdp, nor does the rest of the hardware. A Corsair CX400W, can be had for a little over 40 euro's and will be enough, a sweex/trust 400W might not be a good idea though.

---------- Post added at 12:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

So a quad core @ 2.00Ghz, or a Dual core @ 2.53Ghz. I can always overclock! :D

If you can overclock get the quad.

Edited by Leon86

Thanx, maybe I should stick to flashpoint, is my hardware good enough for that and the latest addons? I thought my pc was not good enough for arma2, but wanted to check.

Is there a cheap way to upgrade my pc or am I looking at £100's or even a completely new pc? Thanx.

I will try to download the demo though too.

8 GB is the minimum, they're not running triple channel then? strange.

The dell with the rebate is probably on par with a custom build cost-wise, although to be sure you'd have to guesstimate the value of the monitor etc.

The main advantages of custom are you can overclock and save money by re-using old parts. If you're not going to re-use anything you might as well get the dell.

The dell should be able to run the game on stock speed just fine, although a custom & overclocked system will run it fine-er :p

Hey Leon86, thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I went through and picked out components for the possible custom computer. Here they are:

HAF 922 Case

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R X58 Motherboard (supports SLI)

Intel Core i7 920

Western Digital 500 GB HDD (enough for me, I can always upgrade later)

PNY GTX 470

4 GB (2x2gb)Kingston HyperX Ram @ 1333 (Its dual channel though, it triple channel really much better? Will probably add another stick later also.)

I can get this with a mouse, keyboard, ASUS monitor and the software for $1688.09 before a couple mail in rebates.

One more quick question.

Would a 600w PSU be adequate for this setup? Or should I go with a 700w? I already have a OCZ ModXStream 600w PSU in my other rig so if I could use that, I could save $85.

Thanks.

Hey Leon86, thanks for the reply. Yesterday, I went through and picked out components for the possible custom computer. Here they are:

HAF 922 Case

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R X58 Motherboard (supports SLI)

Intel Core i7 920

Western Digital 500 GB HDD (enough for me, I can always upgrade later)

PNY GTX 470

4 GB (2x2gb)Kingston HyperX Ram @ 1333 (Its dual channel though, it triple channel really much better? Will probably add another stick later also.)

I can get this with a mouse, keyboard, ASUS monitor and the software for $1688.09 before a couple mail in rebates.

One more quick question.

Would a 600w PSU be adequate for this setup? Or should I go with a 700w? I already have a OCZ ModXStream 600w PSU in my other rig so if I could use that, I could save $85.

Thanks.

An OCZ 600W is more then enough, even with overclocking as long as you dont go up to ludicrous speed. Might want to get a scythe mugen 2 or something similar when increasing voltage and speed though.

If you're going to add a gpu in a year or so try take a very good look at the +12V specs and the tdp of your cards.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Thanx, maybe I should stick to flashpoint, is my hardware good enough for that and the latest addons? I thought my pc was not good enough for arma2, but wanted to check.

Is there a cheap way to upgrade my pc or am I looking at £100's or even a completely new pc? Thanx.

I will try to download the demo though too.

Maybe you can find a secondhand core2duo+mobo+ram for that price, an e6600 or e6750 should lead to a massive increase in performance.

An OCZ 600W is more then enough, even with overclocking as long as you dont go up to ludicrous speed. Might want to get a scythe mugen 2 or something similar when increasing voltage and speed though.

If you're going to add a gpu in a year or so try take a very good look at the +12V specs and the tdp of your cards.

Thanks alot Leon, you have really cleared some things up.

What do you think about the dual channel ram though? Would it be worth buying triple channel ram?

Thanks again.

Hi matey a few questions if I may

1. why craplins for pc bits you will get ripped off big time in there for that stuff

2. do you live in UK?

3. If you want I can spec you a pc as I build loads tell me your budget and what you need eg monitor,speakers or just tower with internals.

hope this helps you.

@darkstealth

Well, the motherboard can run triplechannel, so if you have 3 identical sticks there's no point in not using it. You'll notice more improvement because of the extra 2GB ram then the extra speed, but it's not that much more expensive. Plus, it'll save you the hassle of trying to find exactly the same ram if you want to add another stick. I'd get the 6GB triplechannel kit.

[is it a phenomII? If it's not skip it and get at least an AthlonII(basically a PhenomII without L3 cache).

Once you get below a certain pricepoint the performance (and the performance/price) starts to drop drastically, I'd say the minimum you should buy is something like this:

Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 ~70 euro's

AMD Athlon II X3 425 ~70 euro's

XFX HD 4850 ~75 euro's or 50 secondhand, brand doesn't matter btw, that one's just cheapest around here

2GB kingston valueram ddr3 ~50 euro's

600w is not really essential, 4850's dont have a very high tdp, nor does the rest of the hardware. A Corsair CX400W, can be had for a little over 40 euro's and will be enough, a sweex/trust 400W might not be a good idea though.]

So, can I get these parts from the net or what? They only total up to £17 more than what I was paying, so it's no problem. Only thing is the P&P I assume I'd have to pay.

So, can I get these parts from the net or what? They only total up to £17 more than what I was paying, so it's no problem. Only thing is the P&P I assume I'd have to pay.

Well, you already found the gpu

there, pretty sweet deal.

I saw some am3 (the socket for all phenomII and athlonII) motherboards on that site as well, look for the site of the manufacturer, then look if the processor is compatible, it probably is, but it never hurts to make sure. Then look for the QVL (memory compatibility) and find the cheapest ram that's on that list.

Look in the motherboard manual how to safely mount the processor, not much can go wrong but it's the most crucial step, take your time. The rest is pretty much fool-proof, but is also covered in the manual.

@darkstealth

Well, the motherboard can run triplechannel, so if you have 3 identical sticks there's no point in not using it. You'll notice more improvement because of the extra 2GB ram then the extra speed, but it's not that much more expensive. Plus, it'll save you the hassle of trying to find exactly the same ram if you want to add another stick. I'd get the 6GB triplechannel kit.

Alright, I now plan on getting Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 Triple Channel RAM.

Also, I have decided that I'm going with the core i7 930 instead of the 920. Its only $20 more and has a higher stock frequency so I was like, why not?

Alright, I now plan on getting Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 Triple Channel RAM.

Make sure it's on the motherboard's QVL. My advice is getting the cheapest low-voltage ddr3 1333 or 1600 on that list. You dont need the speed anyway, only reason to get anything beyond 1333/1600 is extreme overclocking.

Make sure it's on the motherboard's QVL. My advice is getting the cheapest low-voltage ddr3 1333 or 1600 on that list. You dont need the speed anyway, only reason to get anything beyond 1333/1600 is extreme overclocking.

So you think I should go with this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148247

over this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148278

By the way, I put my motherboard into the RAM finder on newegg.com and it gave me a page with these included. I guess these are correct for my board.

I found places to buy all the parts, and I gotta say, it's amazing how cheap they are. Thanks a lot Leon, you've really helped me out.

Small EDIT: What settigns can I run ARMA 2 CO on, with this lot?

Edited by Kernels

I am a little frustrated I am running a geforce 8800 GTX with 768mb ram

I am having a problem getting arma 2 and this new expansion to run well

I know this game used to run well on it I haven't played in a long time due to school so If you guys this the 8800 is outdated please let me know also I have heard but don't know if there's any truth to it

Does ATI cards work better with intel processors than Nividia?

And Nividia is better with AMD?

I heard that but didn't know if there was any truth to it.

Anyways I would like to buy a card that I can run this game full out and get a good fpr rate Looking for suggestions Under 200 bucks.

Kinda between the ATI HD 5770 at $169

or

EVGA GTX 260 at $184

I have heard that EVGA is a lifetime guarantee too if this is true it kind of slants the scale as well

If you upgrade to one of those cards you will see an improvement but don't expect to run everything "full out".

You'll need to get 2x GTX480 to run this with everything on high. ;)

If you do end up going ATI, go with XFX. They have pretty good customer service and a great warranty compared to some of the others.

Please do not get a 5770. My brother had one and it kept crashing, so he RMA'ed and it went through 2 more that did the exact same thing. At first I thought it was his PC, so I went and put it in my PC and it happened in my PC too.

So he returned it and got a GTX 260 and there are no issues anymore. It's a pretty common issue with 5770s:

http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=ati+5770+driver+crash&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m2&aql=&oq=5770+Driver+Crash&gs_rfai=&fp=12d854179172b838

This guy has the EXACT same issue as what happened to my brother:

How does your game run on the GTX 260 can you run everything on high and it looks great?

Is this a big step up from where I am at do you think?

Edited by Breeze

I saw a lot of people asking "With this VGA i will run the game well?". For this reason I decided to create this poll so that we can indicate which VGA runs ArmA2 & OA smoothly, or what is the best choice at the moment to spend some money to buy a new VGA for this games in relation of price-product (i.e.: "the Ati 5970 is the best but is too expensive for this game when a lower card runs the game without problems.")

Regards

Edited by catito14