Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi all,

This is an Eyefinity question, i have a 2GB AMD 5870 card and two 24" monitors, and i understand that Arma2/OA code is better performing these days, would the performance be good enough for me to consider getting a third monitor for Eyefinity gaming?

Regards

REMF

Phenom X6 at 3.6GHz

8GB of DDR3 1600

128GB Crucial C300 SSD

2GB 5870

well, I run arma 2 with a 8800gtx. A 2GB 5870 is probably about 3x as fast so if you lower your settings to what I run at it'll be ok I guess.

edit: and bangtail is right, you can always get another card if it doesn't work out with 1

edit2: if you want to test performance run the game at 150% resolution and at 200% resolution, the performance of 3 monitors at 100% resolution should be in between.

Edited by Leon86

sadly, getting a second card is out of the question as the VaporX cooler is so big that a second card suffocates the first given that there is only one slot between the two 16x slots on my 890FX board.

tell me more about this 150% and 200% resolution thingy, how do you run the resolution at more than the available monitor resolution?

cheers both.

sadly, getting a second card is out of the question as the VaporX cooler is so big that a second card suffocates the first given that there is only one slot between the two 16x slots on my 890FX board.

tell me more about this 150% and 200% resolution thingy, how do you run the resolution at more than the available monitor resolution?

cheers both.

In the video options there is an option called '3D resolution'. Use that to set the %age.

hmm, interesting, cheers.

and from this i will be able to genuinely discover whether one card can drive three monitors..........?

hmm, interesting, cheers.

and from this i will be able to genuinely discover whether one card can drive three monitors..........?

running 3 monitors on 1920x1200 gets you about the same resolution as running on 173%, but you can only run on 150% or 200%. Arma changes the distance it renders objects at also depending on resolution, so it won't be 100% accurate, 200% will be a lot heavier as 3 monitors.

you can do an even better test, if you start arma in a window (by adding -window to the shortcut), when arma starts you can stretch the window to have the 4.8:1 ratio you'll need and put the aspect ratio on triplehead (that's 12:3 but sortof close, just to get a normal field of view), If you look maybe you can even find a config file to edit and get exactly the right ratio, then you can run at 200% resolution, window half the height of your screen and the window wil easily fit on the 2 screens you already have.

Edit: and another thing: to run 3 monitors off of one card you need a monitor that has a displayport connector or an ACTIVE displayport-> DVI converter, the cheap converters wont work.

Edited by Leon86

cheers, yes, i am planning to get the HP ZR24w if the performance is good enough.

cheers, yes, i am planning to get the HP ZR24w if the performance is good enough.

HP monitors are exceptional, I actually ditched my NECs for my 2509's :)

Ok- I haven't posted here in a while, due to real life cutting in, but I did end up getting computer. I did get this with gaming in mind, but not top priority. It was a good deal at the time, so it was a good purchase.

Specs:

i7-860 @ 2.8 Ghz (Im not going to be able to overclock in the near future:()

1TB HD

8 GB RAM

Nvidia Geforce 310 (I know, I know, its pretty crappy.)

The actual model is the Studio XPS 8100 if anyone needs to know.

I know it can run ARMA (or at least the demo :)) with semi-good quality, but I was wondering how I could maximize this. I am looking to get a better GPU in the near future, but until then, I am fine with what I have. I want to see how ARMA will look with the best settings I can get while still having enjoyable playability. Does anyone have some recommended settings that I should test out?

I would like to also ask if the actual game performs better than the demo due to lack of bugs and/or other improvements.

I would like to also ask if the actual game performs better than the demo due to lack of bugs and/or other improvements.

with a 310, I doubt it. But if you add a reasonable gpu to that machine you'll have great performance, make sure the psu can handle it or you'll have to upgrade that as well.

oh boy, i use the same settings as in ArmaII. I must say i have very high fps at the moment, i never had 30-40 fps in ArmaII. I now have 30-40 fps in OA, i am playing the first mission. I now have 40-45 fps, but it drops to 20 some times. :D

Hey guys I was wondering what kind of gfx level I could play ArmA II and OAH with my new build (with decent fps) ? With my current system spec I can't really enjoy ArmA II, now I can play it without to many problems but I have to turn everything down and it looks terrible tbh.

Windows 7 64

Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz @ 4.00GHz Overclocked

Patriot Viper (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9

Nividia 9800 GT <-- I know but I cant afford a new GFX card as well

MB Asus P6X58D-E DDR 3

HD Western Digital 600 gig

PSU OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent

This isn't a complete new build im thinking of buying one of those bundle packs from one of the big UK PC warehouse places, so basically I cant change a lot of components but I am saving over a 100 quid.

You're better off just buying parts, getting a P55 and a i5-750 and only 4GB will save you another 100 quid you could spend on the gpu, you could even try to find another 9800GT and put them in sli if you choose a compatible board (not all are I believe, nvidia charges for their certification program).

And running an overclocked system without knowing how to safely overclock is a bad idea

Edited by Leon86

argg

i hate going to the pc store lol

went in for the hd 5770

and got out with the sappire hd 5850 vapor-x 2gb

i also bought a full hd 32'' lcd tv to my room

so cant wait to hook it up to the pc aswell and play arma on it

at my gf home atm, will do that later i guess...

You're better off just buying parts, getting a P55 and a i5-750 and only 4GB will save you another 100 quid you could spend on the gpu, you could even try to find another 9800GT and put them in sli if you choose a compatible board (not all are I believe, nvidia charges for their certification program).

And running an overclocked system without knowing how to safely overclock is a bad idea

Yeah god point, although I know the overclock will be safe because its coming OC ed from the company and it is a company I trust plus you get a 12 months warranty. I just wanted the best cpu for the money so I don't have to upgrade it for a while and I have priced a i5-750, 4 gig and a P55 and tbh it isn't much more expensive to just but the i7 deal.

Anyway do you have any idea of how the game will run with the spec ive posted above?

Edited by Pvtpile1981

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i could run OA on medieum to high settings. Specs:

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory

ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card

AMD Phenomâ„¢II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Any help would be nice!

I have a clunker and only about $200 to go towards speeding her up at the moment. What would you spend it on? More ram or vid?

Vista 32

AMD 6000+X2 @ 3.0ghz

2 gigs DDR2

ATI 2600XT

Any good known websites for OC E8400

I have a clunker and only about $200 to go towards speeding her up at the moment. What would you spend it on? More ram or vid?

Vista 32

AMD 6000+X2 @ 3.0ghz

2 gigs DDR2

ATI 2600XT

Graphics card.

The CPU and RAM are alright, but your graphics card is terrible.

Wich OS will run ARMA OA better, XP or windows 7?

I remember there was slight differences with arma 2 and people tested clean installs with different OS and for me XP worked littlebit better when testing Arma 2 with Arma Mark.

So im sill using 32bit XP with 4gb of memory.

How can I optimize my ThinkPad W510 laptop to run ArmA 2 and OA? And how do I integrate OA with ArmA 2?

First thing to do is defrag the hard drive.

Can't help with OA since I don't have it yet but from what I read it should find your ARMA2 installation and put itself there. Then you can run OA and use ARMA2 goodies.

What version of windows are you on?

If its Win7 then have a look HERE and turn off the services that are not needed.

(Knowledge of Windows opperation is required and I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong)

I turned off all the services mentioned without any problems.

Hi, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if i could run OA on medieum to high settings. Specs:

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1333MHz Dual Channel Memory

ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card

AMD Phenomâ„¢II X6 1055T Six-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

Any help would be nice!

if you read the last 10 pages of this topic you should have a pretty good guesstimate

Vista 32

AMD 6000+X2 @ 3.0ghz

2 gigs DDR2

ATI 2600XT

I doubt you have a pci-e port ont that pc, so you cant really upgrade the gpu, doesn't really matter, the cpu is pretty slow and old also. for $200 try to look for a secondhand upgrade-set, lots of people are dumping their core2duo's and 4850's to move to the core i7/5's and 5xxx gpu's.

Wich OS will run ARMA OA better, XP or windows 7?

I remember there was slight differences with arma 2 and people tested clean installs with different OS and for me XP worked littlebit better when testing Arma 2 with Arma Mark.

So im sill using 32bit XP with 4gb of memory.

I doubt you'll notice any difference if you're on modern hardware.