Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Since nobody replied to my post last time, I'll post this again.

How well will ArmA run with my specs?

CPU: AMD Phenom 965 (3.4GHz)

GPU: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB x2 (Crossfire)

RAM: 4GB DDR3

Thanks.

It's a Phenom II right?

ok tell me how you think this rig would run arma 2 and OA.

CPU: AMd phenom ii x4 955 black edition deneb 3.2GHz AM3

sapphire radeon hd 5770 iGB 128-bit gddr5

4GB (2gbx2) memory

and 1080w power supply

Edited by doorkn0b95

Should be fine at medium/high settings (1680 x 1050) 2500-3K VD.

You really need to play with the settings yourself to find the 'sweet spot'.

Hell, he'll be fine on 1920x1080 @ Everything V High, AA off, VD 3.5km.

5770 is in some cases slower than 4890 but he is CF and I played Arma on my desktop rig with 4890 @ stock, Phenom II x2 @ 4GHz, 4Gb ddr3 @ 1333 (7-7-7-20 1t timings) with the above mentioned settings. (Warfare mostly)

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

ok tell me how you think this rig would run arma 2 and OA.

CPU: AMd phenom ii x4 955 black edition deneb 3.2GHz AM3

sapphire radeon hd 5770 iGB 128-bit gddr5

4GB (2gbx2) memory

and 1080w power supply

Everything Very high, AA off, VD 3km. Depending on res, you will set textures to Medium or High. You should be fine on 16x12 res with High textures.

5770 doesn't have a lot of memory bandwidth to spare for 1080p res AND high textures.

OK that sounds good. as long as the graphics don't look cheap, and bad then im fine with it. and no lag of course. and i might make dual in a couple of months to.

Hello, wondering if I could get a little help on what I should do with my system.

Really new to Arma2 but I'm loving it so far, however I want to give my system a boost to get the max out of it.

Q6600 @2.4

3 gig RAM

HD 4890

stock PSU

stock cooler

Windows xp 32

I've been playing with 1980x1200 with settings on very high (but obv getting very low fps) How would you guys go about updating this system to make things run more smoothly at very high settings (I can deal with some lag).

The two options I can really see would be either: (I won't be doing any of this myself as my skills with computers are disturbingly poor)

1. Overclock the q6600, and add more ram, however this would need me buying a new case, cooler,psu and motherboard as my current one wont OC. And also upgrading to windows 7 64. I've been given a quote of £500 for this.

2. Buy a whole new rig but just move the HD 4890 over.

I've seen a couple of videos of the i7 920 OC with as 4850 running the game smoothly and on v high settings (I don't know how genuine they are though). My budget isn't mega cash but I can push the boat a bit if need be, I just want to get the best out of this amazing game. Also I'd like this system to be able to handle OA aswell.

Any help will be really appreciated

Edited by sampat1

Hi there,

I wasn't sure where to post this btw.

I have a very good gaming laptop but it still can't run Arma 2. I realize I should buy a desktop it's just I am 14 and therefore don't have an income. My Dad has no interest in gaming at all..he can't even see the point. I managed to play the demo of Arma 2 (on like 15 fps) and I really liked it. I also do enjoy gaming but lack the moola. I was just wondering if there are any websites or ways that I can earn a decent amount of cash. I have worked my ass of since I'm on summer hols but I have learnt that really doesn't pay off when it comes to gaming lol...

Anyway, any help or advice would be superb.

Thanks,

Silver

Post the specs of your laptop, and then we will decide if its very good. ;)

lol, I know i know.

Very good for what I have been using it for.

But anyway, anyone help with my original post?

Hello, wondering if I could get a little help on what I should do with my system.

Really new to Arma2 but I'm loving it so far, however I want to give my system a boost to get the max out of it.

Q6600 @2.4

3 gig RAM

HD 4890

stock PSU

stock cooler

Windows xp 32

I've been playing with 1980x1200 with settings on very high (but obv getting very low fps) How would you guys go about updating this system to make things run more smoothly at very high settings (I can deal with some lag).

The two options I can really see would be either: (I won't be doing any of this myself as my skills with computers are disturbingly poor)

1. Overclock the q6600, and add more ram, however this would need me buying a new case, cooler,psu and motherboard as my current one wont OC. And also upgrading to windows 7 64. I've been given a quote of £500 for this.

I've seen a couple of videos of the i7 920 OC with as 4850 running the game smoothly and on v high settings (I don't know how genuine they are though). My budget isn't mega cash but I can push the boat a bit if need be, I just want to get the best out of this amazing game. Also I'd like this system to be able to handle OA aswell.

If you're going to move to windows 7 and want to get an OEM installation (saves quite a bit of money) you're better off getting a new mobo+ram+cpu imo. OEM installations bind to the motherboard, so you'll want to make sure you dont have to change that in the near future.

Something like a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3 with 4GB ram and an i5-750 or i7-860will probably last for a while perfomance-wise and will allow you to overclock in case it doesn't.

The q6600 is a pretty popular cpu secondhand, mainly because most people did buy a board that allows overclocking but found the q6600 too expensive. You could probably get 80-95 euro's for it, depending on stepping.

Q6600 @2.4

3 gig RAM

HD 4890

stock PSU

stock cooler

Windows xp 32

Your CPU is a bottleneck, 4890 are powerhouses. First, google a guide on overclocking the q6600, anything over 3.4GHz is good. More ram will not improve average FPS but will reduce stutter and HDD activity, if you have any.

Keep the Q6600, buy a cheap mobo and 4 GB of Ram.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 AM ----------

Hi there,

I wasn't sure where to post this btw.

I have a very good gaming laptop but it still can't run Arma 2. I realize I should buy a desktop it's just I am 14 and therefore don't have an income. My Dad has no interest in gaming at all..he can't even see the point. I managed to play the demo of Arma 2 (on like 15 fps) and I really liked it. I also do enjoy gaming but lack the moola. I was just wondering if there are any websites or ways that I can earn a decent amount of cash. I have worked my ass of since I'm on summer hols but I have learnt that really doesn't pay off when it comes to gaming lol...

Anyway, any help or advice would be superb.

Thanks,

Silver

Post your specs & keep in mind that the demo is poorly optimized. The game itself with 1.05 (1.07?) runs a lot better. My notebook specs are in my signature, the videos you can find on my YT chan show the performance of the laptop @ high settings, 1.05 patch.

P.S. Define 'very good gaming laptop' for us and we might help and I think you have AA enabled.

any one kno whats a good graphics card to go with phenom ii x4 955 BE 3.2gHz

4 gig ram. and around the same price as a 5770. thanks

lol, I know i know.

Very good for what I have been using it for.

But anyway, anyone help with my original post?

Only if you tell us the specs of your laptop.

any one kno whats a good graphics card to go with phenom ii x4 955 BE 3.2gHz

4 gig ram. and around the same price as a 5770. thanks

The 5850. Nvidia doesn't have competitive gfx in this price range. Hell, get a 4890 if you can find one. It's faster than the 5770, doesn't have DX11 HW support, though.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

what is a good graphics card for arma 2 the around same price as hd5770. i have phenom ii x4 955 Be 3.2 GHz. and 4 gig ram

The 5770 is the only real option in that pricerange I think, only other card there is the 5750, and that's slower. You could look at 5830's but I wouldn't recommend them, they use the bad chips, and actually use more power as a 5850 and aren't much cheaper.

The 5770 is the only real option in that pricerange I think, only other card there is the 5750, and that's slower. You could look at 5830's but I wouldn't recommend them, they use the bad chips, and actually use more power as a 5850 and aren't much cheaper.

how about a gts 250 or gtx 260?

My laptop specs are;

Intel Dual Core P8400 @ 2.26Ghz

nVidia 9600M GT

4 Gbs of RAM

So basically lacking what I need to play Arma 2. Considering I get 5 fps when on all low at 800 x 600.

The only thing I have a problem with is my old Desktop can make Arma 2 playable with a P4 @ 3Ghz

Not sure how much RAM, nothing spectacular and an older graphics card.

So, what's up. Can I improve or do I have to buy a desktop.

I'm 14 as some of you may have already read so it there a cheaper recommendation or way to make money fast? Thanks.

P.S Does anyone know of any guides that can show you how to build a pc that will run arma 2 on full for a 1000 euro/pounds/dollars (whatever, its all the same these days) at a decent resolution.

Edited by SilverEagle

I hope once that I can reach it at Arma 2 with a resolution of 1280x800 a good frame rate average.....

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3

ASRock M3A790GXH/128M, Sockel AM3, ATX

6GB Triple-KIT DDR3 Kingston Valueram PC1066 CL7

Cooler Master GX Series PSU - 550 Watt

XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB DDR5 DISPLAYPORT HDMI PCI-E 2.1

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB SATA II ST380815AS

Seagate Barracuda LP 5900.12 500GB, 16MB, SATA II

My laptop specs are;

Intel Dual Core P8400 @ 2.26Ghz

nVidia 9600M GT

4 Gbs of RAM

So basically lacking what I need to play Arma 2. Considering I get 5 fps when on all low at 800 x 600.

Increase the resolution to 1280x1024. Set Shadows on Normal, Objects Normal, everything else normal and AA - off.

Here is your 9600M GT specs & benches: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.9449.0.html

The DEMO is poorly optimised, real game will run a lot better.

As for a new PC - google Tom's hardware website and you'll find a guide there.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 PM ----------

I hope once that I can reach it at Arma 2 with a resolution of 1280x800 a good frame rate average.....

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3

ASRock M3A790GXH/128M, Sockel AM3, ATX

6GB Triple-KIT DDR3 Kingston Valueram PC1066 CL7

Cooler Master GX Series PSU - 550 Watt

XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB DDR5 DISPLAYPORT HDMI PCI-E 2.1

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 80GB SATA II ST380815AS

Seagate Barracuda LP 5900.12 500GB, 16MB, SATA II

Hehe, where do you people come from? You'll be averaging 40-45 FPS with everything on VHigh @ 1920x1080.

Install Arma 2 on Barracuda LP 5900.12 HDD.

Set Shadows on Normal.

Hehe, where do you people come from?

Maybe you should stop condescending to people, especially when your advice is wrong. Shadows should be set to 'high' or 'vhigh'. Setting them to 'normal' or lower will cause them to be rendered by the CPU which is slower and does not look as good.

Secondly, a 5850 will NOT average 40-45 FPS @ 1920x1080 (Vhigh) unless you are planning on spending your entire time in a field with the VD at 1000.

@ Silvereagle - tbh, you're never going to get great performance on that box but the good news is that you can build a very decent system for $1000.00 (or less).

Edited by BangTail

On shadows, I thought Normal were rendered by the GPU, if that's not the case then yes - he should set em to High.

I won't comment on the second part of your post, I'm enjoying Op Arrowhead on 1920x1080 @ VHigh @ 41 FPS. :D

Take care

On shadows, I thought Normal were rendered by the GPU, if that's not the case then yes - he should set em to High.

I won't comment on the second part of your post, I'm enjoying Op Arrowhead on 1920x1080 @ VHigh @ 41 FPS. :D

Take care

Interesting that you allegedly have a game that hasn't been officially released.

He asked how it would run ArmA 2, not the (as of yet unreleased) expansion.

Edited by BangTail

Interesting that you allegedly have a game that hasn't been officially released.

He asked how it would run ArmA 2, not the (as of yet unreleased) expansion.

A whole lot of people have it in case you haven't noticed.