Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Folks,

Considering this system:

Phenon II x4 925

4gb ddr2 1066

Hd 4890

or

I5 750

4gb DDR3 1066

Hd 4890

What performance can I expect on Arma2?

DDR2 or DDR3?

This system is much worse than a i5 and DDR3? or just adding a hd5870 or a gtx 480 will run just fine?

Folks,

Considering this system:

Phenon II x4 925

4gb ddr2 1066

Hd 4890

or

I5 750

4gb DDR3 1066

Hd 4890

What performance can I expect on Arma2?

DDR2 or DDR3?

This system is much worse than a i5 and DDR3? or just adding a hd5870 or a gtx 480 will run just fine?

I'd go with the second system, it's a bit faster and more energy-efficient. DDR2 isn't really cheaper compared to DDR3 anymore and while you might not notice a great speed difference the DDR3 might have some use in a future system, the DDR2 will not.

I'd go with the second system, it's a bit faster and more energy-efficient. DDR2 isn't really cheaper compared to DDR3 anymore and while you might not notice a great speed difference the DDR3 might have some use in a future system, the DDR2 will not.

Thanks Leon86.

My concern now is about the cpu bottleneck. How the Phenon´s x6 are working in this game?

Just throwing this out there for those that know more, what do you think the bottleneck is in my system?

Intel Xeon quad-core @ 2.8ghz

8gbs RAM 800mhz

EVGA GTX 285 1gb

Intel X25-M G2 SSD

I play Arma 2 @ 1920x1200 with mostly Normal settings and it runs pretty well but I'm wondering which component is most likely holding me back.

Thnx.

Hey guys, anybody know how hard it is to upgrade your processor? For example, I have a AMD Dual 1.6ghz, what would I have to do to upgrade that to a quad or maybe just a better dual core?

I'm upgrading my graphics card and powersupply soon, so power should be covered, I dont know how to check what type of mobo I have though. I'm just guessing right now basically any AMD processor would work :confused:

Hey guys, anybody know how hard it is to upgrade your processor? For example, I have a AMD Dual 1.6ghz, what would I have to do to upgrade that to a quad or maybe just a better dual core?

I'm upgrading my graphics card and powersupply soon, so power should be covered, I dont know how to check what type of mobo I have though. I'm just guessing right now basically any AMD processor would work :confused:

What is your Mobo? It accept Amd Phenon II x4 925....965?? Because thats the option. Quad-core these days, nothing else.

By the way, what graphics card are u looking for?

Hey Andrea, ty. I'm going for this card and this powersupply with hopefully this processor

I dunno how well the powersupply would go with that card, I'd think it would be fine. Anyway, the mobo, I'm still trying to figure that out, I just opened it up and found a little sticker on it, it read: mcp61pm-gm (sn). I also saw MCP61PM-GM REV:2.4 next to the sticker. Is that it?

btw sorry for being a total nooblet lol

PS. Heres a link to my comp, just got it a few days ago, if that helps.

Edited by RogueScotsman

Thanks Leon86.

My concern now is about the cpu bottleneck. How the Phenon´s x6 are working in this game?

They perform on par with a quadcore phenom II in arma II (and all other games). Games often have 1 thread that's heavier than all the others, it maxxes out 1 core.

A phenom II x6 can be had for the price of an i5-750, the i5 will give better performance in games while the x6 will give better performance in photoshop/video encoding etc.

---------- Post added at 10:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Hey Andrea, ty. I'm going for this card and this powersupply with hopefully this processor

I dunno how well the powersupply would go with that card, I'd think it would be fine. Anyway, the mobo, I'm still trying to figure that out, I just opened it up and found a little sticker on it, it read: mcp61pm-gm (sn). I also saw MCP61PM-GM REV:2.4 next to the sticker. Is that it?

btw sorry for being a total nooblet lol

PS. Heres a link to my comp, just got it a few days ago, if that helps.

I hope the processor works on the mystery motherboard that's in there. I guess it should. I also think now you're replacing the cpu and putting in a gpu you might as well have built the thing from scratch. If the cpu doesn't work you might as well replace the mobo as well :p. Of course you then have to make a phonecall to microsoft to get your windows activated again but what the hell.

If you replace the motherboard you could get a proper quadcore in there, I doubt the board that's in there now can handle the power-hungry quadcores.

edit: and another thing, you're probably on a budget looking at the parts you buy, realise bfg tech is probably crap and a 400 Watt corsair or antech (or another proper manufacturer) psu will probably last longer under 500 Watt loads then the bfg tech. A friend of mine just bought a seasonic x-650 and it's a very nice psu, though a bit expensive :p

Edited by Leon86

Just throwing this out there for those that know more, what do you think the bottleneck is in my system?

Intel Xeon quad-core @ 2.8ghz

8gbs RAM 800mhz

EVGA GTX 285 1gb

Intel X25-M G2 SSD

I play Arma 2 @ 1920x1200 with mostly Normal settings and it runs pretty well but I'm wondering which component is most likely holding me back.

Thnx.

Pretty simple. Look at your video options.

CPU does limit here:

Terrain details

Object details

Viewdistance

If you want to raise one of those, upgrade your CPU.

The rest is limited by the GPU. So for raising those settings, upgrade your GPU.

Special case: Shadows.

From very low to normal, shadows are rendered on CPU, on high and very high on the GPU.

This leads to the fact that shadow detail high or very high often results in better FPS as most of the time, with todays GPU's, the CPU is bottlenecking.

Ok guys....i reinstalled the machine from the beginning, with fresh Win7 and drivers...will reinstall ARMA2 this night and i hope it will be somewhat better than last time.

Anyone able to run default Video memory?Whenever I do I boot to desktop.Here I have 1536 MB GDDR5 and the game is not letting me access it.

Lol yeah Leon one of the options I'm thinking of now too is just take the whole thing back and build my own. I really wasnt planning on doing much to this thing but once you start with one thing... kinda get caught up in it lol. Thanks for the advice about the power, I'll find another one, there were so many brands up there I didnt know which were reliable and which were just total crap so that helps out a ton. So a good corsair 400w would be alright for that card? I think main issue now is finding good power, I might just leave the cpu alone for awhile and see how it does.

The cpu is a bit slow but you can still get playable framerates, I know someone who runs it on a 1.8 Ghz core2duo, runs fine if you limit the model and terrain detail a bit and dont make missions with 1000 units killing eachother at the same time.

I took another look at the psu, maybe it's not a bad deal if you do the rebate thing 39 dollars for a proper 400 watt would be great. I wouldn't use that psu on a 550 Watt gaming system, but your pc isn't going to get anywhere near 300 Watt so it'll be safe to use for sure. A 400 Watt corsair is safe to use also, you could go even lower only I don't think proper manufacturers make them below 400.

Yeah I dont think I'll be making missions with 1000 guys on it, I get shot up enough by one guy lol. Found another powersupply by Antec I think I'm about all set now :) I was going to get my stuff from Bestbuy but I could get the card and the power *plus* a new cpu for about $10 less on Newegg than the same exact card and power from Bestbuy.

Notice the antec psu has exactly the same amperage on the 12V lines (basically the only ones that are important these days) Only bfg says it's 550 and antec says it's 500.

On the seasonic X series (and probably on a lot of high-end psu's from other manufacturers) they ignore output on other voltages, so a X-750 gives you 750 Watt at 12V.

Hello!

I have been following Arma 2 for quite a while now, but have never played it. The reason is that I am a “working adultâ€. I have (a) very little time to play computer games and (b) problems finding the right hardware to play Arma 2. Together the various possibilities to build a PC are almost slaying. The only advantage of this situation is that the high price of descent hardware isn't a problem for me.

The reason for my post: Due to the fact that the expansion OA will be released soon, I finally decided that it is time now to buy a PC that allows me to play Arma 2 and OA in high quality.

May I ask you some questions:

1.) The game was released just about a year ago and wasn't optimized in the beginning. Is it optimized now?

2.) I have read some of the very long and detailed discussions about hardware and Arma 2. The result, however, was more confusion than clarity. Has there been reached any consensus regarding the best hardware for Arma 2 (ATI or NVIDIA; best CPU, Hard Drive, etc.).

3.) I don't have time and competence to build a PC on my own and therefore want to buy – if it is reasonable – a pre-build PC. The only purpose is to play Arma 2 and maybe other simulations (like the DCS Series)

Thank you for your advises!

Gents:

I have the Intel I7/920 oc'ed to 3.4Ghz. Wind 7, A Nvidia 495 vid card, I think I have 6 gigs of mems in 3 modules... best I could get. 800 PSU. 27" monitor.. I hope this is more than enough to play it....

Rol

Gents:

I have the Intel I7/920 oc'ed to 3.4Ghz. Wind 7, A Nvidia 495 vid card, I think I have 6 gigs of mems in 3 modules... best I could get. 800 PSU. 27" monitor.. I hope this is more than enough to play it....

Rol

No such thing as an Nvidia 495 (Yet).

Edited by BangTail

Hello!

I have been following Arma 2 for quite a while now, but have never played it. The reason is that I am a “working adultâ€. I have (a) very little time to play computer games and (b) problems finding the right hardware to play Arma 2. Together the various possibilities to build a PC are almost slaying. The only advantage of this situation is that the high price of descent hardware isn't a problem for me.

The reason for my post: Due to the fact that the expansion OA will be released soon, I finally decided that it is time now to buy a PC that allows me to play Arma 2 and OA in high quality.

May I ask you some questions:

1.) The game was released just about a year ago and wasn't optimized in the beginning. Is it optimized now?

2.) I have read some of the very long and detailed discussions about hardware and Arma 2. The result, however, was more confusion than clarity. Has there been reached any consensus regarding the best hardware for Arma 2 (ATI or NVIDIA; best CPU, Hard Drive, etc.).

3.) I don't have time and competence to build a PC on my own and therefore want to buy – if it is reasonable – a pre-build PC. The only purpose is to play Arma 2 and maybe other simulations (like the DCS Series)

Thank you for your advises!

If you take 15 minutes to customise settings to your liking you can get the game to run well on nearly every pc as long as there's a proper ($120+) gpu in it. What hardware is the best depends on how much you want to spend. If you're on a budget I'd suggest a Phenom II x4 955 and a HD5770. If you want to spend more you could get an i7 and a HD5870, or 2.

I"m getting decent performance so far with ARMA 2 - My system is the following -

Dell XPS 720 System

2 Quad CPU

Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

3.00 GB or RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Question..... Regarding "pre-rendered frames"....what would be a good place for my system to be at? I think I currently have them set to "4".

Also, what is a good visibility distance for my system? I think I'm currently at 1200 - Does that seem about right??

I play on screen reso is set lower.....like 1280 x 960 (I believe). Looking for anyways to keep my FPS up (while making things as clear as possibly, of course....so not to have a headache after playing for more than 40 mins).

Thanks for any help.....

I"m getting decent performance so far with ARMA 2 - My system is the following -

Dell XPS 720 System

2 Quad CPU

Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

3.00 GB or RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Question..... Regarding "pre-rendered frames"....what would be a good place for my system to be at? I think I currently have them set to "4".

Also, what is a good visibility distance for my system? I think I'm currently at 1200 - Does that seem about right??

I play on screen reso is set lower.....like 1280 x 960 (I believe). Looking for anyways to keep my FPS up (while making things as clear as possibly, of course....so not to have a headache after playing for more than 40 mins).

Thanks for any help.....

1200 sounds good for your rig. Setting your 'pre rendered frames' to 8 might help a little. When the game was first released, it helped alot, but I'm not sure you'll benefit much these days.

Alright, I'm wondering if my system would run it without any -major- upgrades I've got a Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GH'z 4g of Ram and a Nivida Geforce 9600 OSO, anyways let me know.

It'll run, with settings lowered a bit of course.

Alright, I'm wondering if my system would run it without any -major- upgrades I've got a Dual CPU E2200 @ 2.20GH'z 4g of Ram and a Nivida Geforce 9600 OSO, anyways let me know.

That's a similar setup to my HTPC, which runs Arma2 quite well at low settings. You should be fine, as long as you aren't expecting to crank the graphics up very far. ;)

Hi

I ran an E2160 overclocked at 3Ghz which improved performance, and it handled the game well for nearly a year (ie Arma to Arma2), mostly on low/medium settings at 1650x1080 and 2000 VD. Obviously you need to take extreme care with overclocking and how far you can go will also depend on your other system components, especially the motherboard. Reading up is essential, as is taking it very, very slowly, and it should only be attempted if you can reasonably afford to replace any damaged components.

I replaced the E2160 with an E5200 which handled 3.8Ghz easily with the same setup, an upgrade which cost around £25 when I sold the old CPU on Ebay, so even a faster chip (E5200 is 2.5GHz at stock) need not cost a lot.

cjph