Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Holy mother crap. After having a good day of testing my cf 5770 I am starting to go mad. I got it to work and performance is great. I am not used to seeing the game run this smooth. But I am getting that screen flicker/strobe that after 5 seconds leads to total screen bleach out with a slow fade to normal brightness:mad:

It is more common when I zoom using scoped weapons..... and when I use a sniper it's happening almost 90% of the time:(\ and its not related to PP effects.

I swear I've read a thread or two about this and I did search but found nothing. So I figured I'd post it here while I continue to search.

FYI still on ccc 10.3 since the link to 10.4 on AMD's site doesn't work for me. AFAIK when I installed the second gpu all the current CF profiles and drivers were updated correctly and the only problem I had was the registry file I had to edit to get the CF working. At least my other games run crazy good now. Just Cause 2 is maxed and running silky smooth:yay:

EDIT - PROBLEM FIXED. I turned off catalyst AI and the flickering is gone.

Edited by Whoatherefatty

I used to run 26" NEC WUXI monitors - nice choice

Yeah, its great! Spectraview software makes this monitor hard to beat ;)

Whoatherefatty: Is this a hardware related problem or a SLI arma2 related problem? I mean, sice you've read it in a thread before

Ok, I bought ArmA 2 a while ago and it doesn't work on my PC (the disk drive doesn't recognise it, but is fine with everything else (the disk does work, I tried it on an older machine)). I have recently ordered a PC with the following specs:

Win 7 64 bit (home premium)

i7 920

9GB DDR3 1333MHz

1GB HD5870

500GB 7200rpm SATA HDD (I realise that this is something of a weak link, but lack funds to do anything about it)

My question is, what sort of settings should I be going for when I get the game working. Normally I'd have to spend bloody ages fiddling around trying to get the optimal settings for a game, so I though I'd ask for a good starting point, especially as I believe there are a fair few settings which can be tweaked with ArmA.

The demo did not run well on my:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5200+

3072 RAM (actually 4 gig but win XP shows only 3)

nvidia 9800 GTX+

Only 26 fps on low and 25 fps on medium. I still play ArmA and OFP but I really want to join the ArmA2 multiplayer games. But I do not have the money to buy a new computer. Do the latest patches improve the performance as well?

I recently downloaded the demo on Steam to check it out and it looks like fun.

The demo did not run well on my:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 5200+

3072 RAM (actually 4 gig but win XP shows only 3)

nvidia 9800 GTX+

Only 26 fps on low and 25 fps on medium. I still play ArmA and OFP but I really want to join the ArmA2 multiplayer games. But I do not have the money to buy a new computer. Do the latest patches improve the performance as well?

I recently downloaded the demo on Steam to check it out and it looks like fun.

Just buy a new processor (a quad core) the rest is fine ;)

Hm.. while searching for new parts for my new computer i found this pc used for about 1200 euros.

1. How will this run ARMA2 (its a 3 way setup with a close to ancient card :P)

2. Is this processor o.c'able?

3. Heeyy.. old specs man, you need a new setup.. ;)

I will upgrade to a SLI 480 later if i go or this..

EVGA X58 Classified E759 3way SLIx16

Intel Core i7 975 Extreme Edition BOX

3x2GB DDR3 1600 OCZ Gold + 1x2GB Corsair Dominator-GT 1866

3way SLI Asus ENGTX275 896M 448bit

HDD1: SSD Corsair Performance 128GB

HDD2: WD VelociRaptor 150GB 10000rpm

HDD3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB

HDD4: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB

HDD5: WD 7200.12 1TB

BluRay & HDdvd: LG GGW-H20L

DVD-RW: NEC DVDbrenner LabelFlash

Bluetooth: Jansen BlueLink 2.1 EDR

Tagan BZseries 1300W

Case: Aplus Case ElDiablo Advanced (ROHS)

Hm.. while searching for new parts for my new computer i found this pc used for about 1200 euros.

1. How will this run ARMA2 (its a 3 way setup with a close to ancient card :P)

I would expect good performance.

2. Is this processor o.c'able?

Yep, very.

[/Quote]

/10 chars

PS : That price is a little low for what is offered.

Edited by BangTail

Yeah, it was abit rushed math. Its 1553 euros to be exact :)

Still cheap i would say. Doesnt matter when the seller dont respond though.

Thanks for the reply mister.

With this rig the differences will be big?

-i7 920 @4ghz

-mobo P6t

-HD Caviar Black 600gb

-4gb ddr3 1600mhz

-win 7 x64

-19´´ screen on 1600x900

Regards

So with this rig, the 5970 will be a waste of money?? If i go for the 5870 1gb + 2g ddr3 1600 more, to make triple channel, ... will i play the game in all high - very high??

Thanks

So with this rig, the 5970 will be a waste of money?? If i go for the 5870 1gb + 2g ddr3 1600 more, to make triple channel, ... will i play the game in all high - very high??

Thanks

I've already answered you on this, a 5970 is a waste of cash at that resolution and yes, you should be able to play at high settings with a moderate view distance.

Edited by BangTail

here's my laptop

ati mobility hd 4650 1 gb

4 gb ram

2.54 ghz core 2 duo

there's a bit of mouselag in the demo

will the full game work at relatively enjoyable settings? maybe medium?

here's my laptop

ati mobility hd 4650 1 gb

4 gb ram

2.54 ghz core 2 duo

there's a bit of mouselag in the demo

will the full game work at relatively enjoyable settings? maybe medium?

I think the demo still does not allow you to turn of PP effects as well as AF. If this is true you should see some improvement in the full game with moderate/low settings. Be sure to turn off AA, PP, AF, and set very low terrain detail/shadows as well. View distance can hurt too so keep it minimal. Campaign will probably run like doggy doo doo for you since I get some pretty decent chugs here and there.

Just skimmed through some gfx card reviews. Dont know if its wrong to say that the cards from MSI 5770 HAWK or Powercolor 5770 PCS+ should be ok to play A2(+OA) on normal/high settings?

I can oc my duo core 8400 to 3.6Ghz but my gfx card 9800GTX+ 512MB seems to have some troubles with A2 texture loading. Dont want to waste money for +5fps, thought.

Any good advices for a proper graphic card with current cpu are appreciated! :)

Just skimmed through some gfx card reviews. Dont know if its wrong to say that the cards from MSI 5770 HAWK or Powercolor 5770 PCS+ should be ok to play A2(+OA) on normal/high settings?

I can oc my duo core 8400 to 3.6Ghz but my gfx card 9800GTX+ 512MB seems to have some troubles with A2 texture loading. Dont want to waste money for +5fps, thought.

You will see a lot of improvement by upgrading to a 5770 but don't expect the texture lag or stuttering to go away. I have two 5770s and there is still some texture lag no matter my video memory settings. Considering you can get a good 5770 for $160 it's money well spent though.

I doubt you'll notice much improvement. It's only one tier higher in the gpu hierarchy chart

EDIT - PROBLEM FIXED. I turned off catalyst AI and the flickering is gone.

Turning off CAI disables Crossfire mate. Setting your HDR precision to 32 will likely stop the flickering with CAI/CF on :)

Go to C:\Users--->"Your user name"--->MyDocuments--->ArmA 2 and open the file "Arma.cfg"

It's the 5th to last entry, just change HDR precision to 32.

If you use a secondary profile, use:

C:\Users--->"Your user name"--->MyDocuments--->ArmA 2 Other profiles and open the file "Arma.cfg"

Edited by BangTail

Turning off CAI disables Crossfire mate. Setting your HDR precision to 32 will likely stop the flickering with CAI/CF on :)

I had a feeling that's what was happening. It was the only tweak I could figure out to fix it though.

About the HDR precision, I changed it from 8 to 32. Saved. Double checked it was saved correctly. I boot up arma. The loading screen faintly flickers and I nearly suffer a seizure from the strobing the second the aircraft carrier appears:crazy_o: wich in all honesty was fairly common with CF in my weekend tests.

Thanks for the tip anyway. I'm sure I'll get it to work nicely someday. I can live with a single GPU and arma. It makes more of a difference in Just Cause 2 anyway.

Did you change the file to "Read only"? That way Arma 2 can't change it? I seem to recall that you had to do that for it to work.

I had a feeling that's what was happening. It was the only tweak I could figure out to fix it though.

About the HDR precision, I changed it from 8 to 32. Saved. Double checked it was saved correctly. I boot up arma. The loading screen faintly flickers and I nearly suffer a seizure from the strobing the second the aircraft carrier appears:crazy_o: wich in all honesty was fairly common with CF in my weekend tests.

Thanks for the tip anyway. I'm sure I'll get it to work nicely someday. I can live with a single GPU and arma. It makes more of a difference in Just Cause 2 anyway.

I seem to recall enabling 'Alternate Pixel Centre' fixed that problem on ATI in some cases but I think that option was removed from CCC.

I'll look into it tomorrow. Chances are there is some 3rd party software that you can use to enable it.

ok so is an ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card

good enough to play it on max?

ok so is an ATI Radeon HD 5570 1GB DDR3 16X PCIe Video Card

good enough to play it on max?

On Vhigh? Short answer : No.

Elaboration : I doubt it unless you are playing at 1024x768 (and even then I wouldn't count on it with a decent view distance).

Edited by BangTail

On Vhigh? Short answer : No.

Elaboration : I doubt it unless you are playing at 1024x768 (and even then I wouldn't count on it with a decent view distance).

how bout 5750?

how bout 5750?

For max settings and a decent VD at 1680 x 1050 you are really looking at a 58xx series card tbh (and even then it probably won't be perfect).

What res do you plan on running at?