Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Got another quote today:

- i5 750

- Giga GA-P55a-UD3

- 4gb EVM DDR3 1333mhz

- 500gb SATA

- Windows7 64bit

- all the other stuff

ohh btw: it comes with a crappy 1gb G220, but I'm upgrading to a HD5770

This is $1225, which is cheaper than the Q9400 I got quoted, sweet!!!!

Got another quote today:

- i5 750

- Giga GA-P55a-UD3

- 4gb EVM DDR3 1333mhz

- 500gb SATA

- Windows7 64bit

- all the other stuff

ohh btw: it comes with a crappy 1gb G220, but I'm upgrading to a HD5770

This is $1225, which is cheaper than the Q9400 I got quoted, sweet!!!!

Make sure the psu can handle the new card, the 220 probably doesn't need a 6-pin 12V plug, the 5770 will, even though it doesn't use that much compared to some other gpu's.

The i5-750 is i.m.o. the best deal for processors. In games it performs as good (or if hypertheading backfires better) as i7's and in most app's it's still really close. The main advantages compared to the phenom II's are a lower power use and higher performance (stock, but especially when overclocked).

Edited by Leon86

Yeah the PSU is an upgraded one, 585W Gigabyte I believe - will that be suitable? (can you tell im a console gamer? lol, sick of the 360 moving into PC games)

Err....well seems like it's time for an upgrade for me in the near future, so I can run ArmA 2 real good....bollocks.

I run it ok, but when I do things with Fraps, my performance drops like a stone...

I run it ok, but when I do things with Fraps, my performance drops like a stone...

I have that too, It was a lot better when I was saving to a ramdisk, you cant make a really long capture that way but then again most scenes arent that long.

I think this post doesn't belong here but I could find a proper alternative so I'll post it here anyway:

How are the topographic maps rendered in the game? It looks like the vector graphics are processed on the CPU cause it tends to lag very badly when zooming or opening the map.

Is it possible to do through Direct2D or OpenVG in an upcoming patch or Operation Arrowhead? It's pretty annoying (to me iac) considering the game itself is very stable and achieves decent framerates at pretty high settings.

I haven't played ArmA 2 in a couple months as i have lost interest but i intend to get back into it after i build my new system.

I'm going to go pick up some new PC parts i ordered tomorrow.

How much performance difference would i see if i went from an:

AMD Athlon AM2 6000+ Windsor x2 3.3ghz

4GB Patroit DDR2 800Mhz

Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 Motherboard

HIS ATi Radeon 4850 512MB PCI-E

Thermaltake Silent Purepower 560W

1TB Seagate SATA II HDD

iCute Super18-5G1-BB

Windows 7 64Bit

to a:

AM3 AMD Phenom II 1055T x6 OCed to 3.6-4ghz

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro AM3 DDR3 ATI 890GX PCI-E

4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 CL9 RAM

1TB Seagate SATA II HDD

Antec Twelve Hundred Gaming Case

Windows 7 64Bit

Anyone got a 1055T tested on ArmA2? Does the game benefit from extra 2 cores?

I get 25-35 fps average, sometimes reaches as high as 55fps.. and i play everything on max at 1024x768 Res and AA Off and Shadows on Low.

Would i see a performance increase?

Edited by =Spetsnaz=

I haven't played ArmA 2 in a couple months as i have lost interest but i intend to get back into it after i build my new system.

I'm going to go pick up some new PC parts i ordered tomorrow.

How much performance difference would i see if i went from an:

AMD Athlon AM2 6000+ Windsor x2 3.3ghz

4GB Patroit DDR2 800Mhz

Gigabyte GA-M56S-S3 Motherboard

1TB Seagate SATA II HDD

iCute Super18-5G1-BB

Windows 7 64Bit

to a:

AM3 AMD Phenom II 1055T x6 OCed to 3.6-4ghz

ASUS M4A89GTD Pro AM3 DDR3 ATI 890GX PCI-E

4GB Kingston DDR3 1600 CL9 RAM

1TB Seagate SATA II HDD

Antec Twelve Hundred Gaming Case

Windows 7 64Bit

Anyone got a 1055T tested on ArmA2? Does the game benefit from extra 2 cores?

I get 25-35 fps average, sometimes reaches as high as 55fps.. and i play everything on max at 1024x768 Res and AA Off and Shadows on Low.

Would i see a performance increase?

Baigtail has an intel 6-core (edit: 2), he said somewhere in this thread the game doesn't benefit from the extra cores but an athlon is so much slower than a phenom II you will see a massive performance increase.

Shadows on low uses the processor, put them on high and the gpu will do all the real work. If you run on the athlon now this will increas performance and make the game look better.

While a six-core is good for photoshop and comparable apps an i5-750 will give you better performance in arma 2, especially if you plan to overclock. A Phenom II quadcore will give equal performance to the six-core.

Baigtail has an intel 6-core (edit: 2), he said somewhere in this thread the game doesn't benefit from the extra cores but an athlon is so much slower than a phenom II you will see a massive performance increase.

Shadows on low uses the processor, put them on high and the gpu will do all the real work. If you run on the athlon now this will increas performance and make the game look better.

While a six-core is good for photoshop and comparable apps an i5-750 will give you better performance in arma 2, especially if you plan to overclock. A Phenom II quadcore will give equal performance to the six-core.

Yea but i am an amd + ati fanboy :P

I'm going to OC this baby when i get it tomorrow, to about 3.6-4ghz

I can run the actual game on very high with my 4850 so i am happy here, and i am pretty sure my CPU is my bottleneck, so i should see a more better experience in cities and all?

I get pretty decent FPS with my current system but when i have a very large battle with plenty of AI my system lags.

So ArmA 2 does not use extra 2 cores? What about in intensive large scale battles, say 200+ AI?

Well, arma 2 does use the cores but 1 cores is probably going to be maxxed out by the main thread, there'll be a lot of idle time on the other cores, enough to "lose" a few cores and not noticing it.

1 core for AI and 1 for the rest of the game. The other 2 are good to have for the system (OS) wich gives 2 dedicated cores to ARMA2 to work with. IIRC this is how it works with this game. Correct me if im wrong.

Arma 2 has lots of threads, the ai might be 1 thread I don't know but if I run a big battle my quadcore has peaks at 75-80% cpu load. I believe the reason anything beyond quadcore doesn't do much is that the render thread fully loads 1 core.

Hi guys I fell in love with the realism of arma 2 since the first video. Here are my specs and just wondering if you guys could maybe give me some tips or tell me if I could run the game maybe on low-medium settings

- AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.60GHz

- BFG GeForce GT 220 1GB DDR2

- 4GB DDR3

- 750GB HDD

- 300watt Psupply

- Windows 7 Home Premium

Please be gentle I know my rig aint great guys...:( just give it to me straight guys..can I run it.

Most of your PC is fine, but that 220 is awfully slow. If you dont upgrade it you wont be able to play above low settings. (Also, that 300watt Psupply wont be able to power better cards, so that would need to be upgraded too)

pheww that is a relief, I think I am going to go get a new Video Card tonight I have a 500W Psupply already Im just gonna use that.

Thanks for the help NeMeSiS

Big Fan of the game!

Looking to buy a new computer next month (under $600) to play ARMA 2 with great graphics. Already have a great monitor.

Is it possible to get a system for that much $$$ to play ARMA 2?

And if so what Specs should I look for? (Will not be building my own system)

Thanks for your help!

Alphadriver

Here´s my feedback, i have this system

Q6600@3.0 1.23 Vid

MSI P43 Mobo

ATI SAPHIRE 5850

4GB Corsair DDR2 4-4-4-15 1.9v

PSU CORSAIR 650W (i know it´s too much but only found those)

Resolution 1440x900

View distance: 2400

Video memory: Default

AA: Disabled (This have a huge impact on performance)

Post Process: Low

Objects Detail: Normal (This have a huge impact on performance)

All Others: Very High

3D Resolution: 200%:eek: (This makes the game beaultiful!)

With this settings i am i happy player with average 30-35 Fps.

With my old 4850 i have to put all my settings to normal and 3D res to 100% to get 25-30Fps.

Big Fan of the game!

Looking to buy a new computer next month (under $600) to play ARMA 2 with great graphics. Already have a great monitor.

Is it possible to get a system for that much $$$ to play ARMA 2?

And if so what Specs should I look for? (Will not be building my own system)

Thanks for your help!

Alphadriver

I think the only way you'll be able to do that is with a secondhand system. Look for something with a core 2 duo (or quad) an a decent gpu preferably top 5 rows here, top 8 minimum

I think the only way you'll be able to do that is with a secondhand system. Look for something with a core 2 duo (or quad) an a decent gpu preferably top 5 rows here, top 8 minimum

If you build it yourself you can get my rig for around $600-700

CPU 170

RAM ~100

mobo ~100

GPU ~160

500gb wd caviar ~50

cheap case you will have to mod and cram fans in 20-30

now if you already have a monitor, speakers and keyboard you are set and depending on shipping cost you are on budget!

Of course faster ram and a better GPU wouldn't hurt but it's a budget sstem!

If you build it yourself you'll have all kinds of cost-saving options, like re-using the case, harddisk, dvd reader and maybe even operating system of an old pc.

dunno, depends on what settings you want to run, gts 250 or radeon 5750 should be ok I guess.