Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I actually gain fps when going from no shadows to high shadows. See the soft shadows thread.

that's hard to believe.

In that case I think it makes no difference rather than fps gain, unless you did 30 benchmark runs back-to-back.

In that case I think it makes no difference rather than fps gain, unless you did 30 benchmark runs back-to-back.

Yeah, I'm not gonna do 30:D

I just did 4 in a row rather than the 2 I did last time. Results are in.

Test 1- High shadows on benchmark 1: 38 fps

Test 2- Disabled shadows on benchmark 1: 39fps

Test 3- High shadows on benchmark 1: 38fps

Test 4- Disabled shadows on benchmark 1: 40fps

Okay so more testing reveals that my initial results were just a result of the randomness of the game that is Arma. It's still interesting to see that High shadows had a nominal effect on fps:confused:

Hey guys, what dou you think of upgrading my cpu?

Th fact is this is my system and mostly i only get 25-30fps no matter i use high or low graphics settings...

Phenom II X4 945 (3Ghz)

ATI 4850 512mb

4gb DDR2 MDT 800Mhz

MSI K9A2VM-F V2

WD 640AACS (caviar green)

Enermax Modu 82+ 525W

XP Pro

resolution 1680x1050

11914 3d marks 2006

I know some MP Maps (berzerk, ctf) are less cpu intensive, so if i turn down some graphics settings I achieve up to 60fps. But Singleplayer itself and some heavy scripted Coops playing online like Ace[5th]'s 'Day in a war' gives me only 25-30 fps no matter I use everything at very low or normal.

I thought about buying an ATI 5850, but I fear that my cpu is the real bottleneck... any idea? I already thought about overclocking the cpu but my mainboard only allows cpus with a max TDP of 95W, so OC would kill it, because the cpu's TDP is already 95W at normal clock .

So if I want to oc my cpu i would need a new Mainboard. Any Idea? Thanks :)

Edited by telejunky

nearly every mainboard has some overclock options these days. Go into the bios and see if you can find the blck frequency, the vcore and some multipliers or memory speeds. If you have some control over these you can overclock.

Yeah I know but i fear that the mainboard would destruct itself because the cpu is with its 95W tdp already at the limit what the mainboard supports. Maybe should I first upgrade the Mainboard to AM3 (eg max tdp of 125w) with the appendant upgrade to DDR3? Any noticable performance difference in ArmA 2 between DDR2 800 and DDR3 1600?

You can measure performance differences but I doubt you'll notice em. If you lower vcore a bit and increase speed you should be able to run at the same tdp. Be sure to check stability with occt or something similar.

Hey I got a question.

In 2 months time I'll be getting OA and I want to upgrade my current computer for it as my q6600 is getting old.

What would be the best bang for buck right now if I were to spend £500-600 on a cpu, some ram and a new mobo?

I'm thinking of getting an i7, some hardcore gamer-ram :D and this mobo 'MSI K9N NEO-F V3'.

Any reccomendations? and any tips on what online shops have the greatest offers in the UK/near in europe?

Would anyone also reccommend an SSD for games and vista 64 bit only?

Would anyone also reccommend an SSD for games and vista 64 bit only?

A small SSD for your OS (and the games you play regularly) is a good idea. Your games aren't going to run any faster fps wise but the OS will be snappier and load times will decrease.

Don't waste money on 'enthusiast' RAM. Any good 1333-1600 DDR3 will be more than enough for your new setup.

Edited by BangTail

SASrecon: Check my signature. ARMA2 runs like a dream on HIGH, and other games i eat for breakfast (maybe not crysis - didnt test on it - dont like it anyway) but A2 wich is important to me runs great. Tested online as well and everytime even though with a lot of AI its smooth as a baby's butt (or something like that). :)

Getting my SSD soon for the system like BangTail said above. Windows operates real fast with it and as we get more and more impatient (faster rigs and faster internet) it seems like a good investment.

Hi, now i have an ATI HD 4890 vapor-X and i want to change it to a HD 5870 ... i want to know if this change will make the ArmA2 runs a lot of better than my actual 4890 with decent FPS in all High/very high with 5 km viewdistance ??

Now i´m playing with all in med/high settings wit PP in off and with 5 km viewdistance, i have 45 fps in benchmark 1 and 22 in benchmark 2.

My rig:

- i7 920 2.6ghz@4ghz

- 4 gb ddr3 ram

-Win 7 x64

-HDD Caviar Black 600gb

-mobo P6T

-HD 4890 1gb vapor-x

Thanks and kind regards

Hi, now i have an ATI HD 4890 vapor-X and i want to change it to a HD 5870 ... i want to know if this change will make the ArmA2 runs a lot of better than my actual 4890 with decent FPS in all High/very high with 5 km viewdistance ??

Now i´m playing with all in med/high settings wit PP in off and with 5 km viewdistance, i have 45 fps in benchmark 1 and 22 in benchmark 2.

My rig:

- i7 920 2.6ghz@4ghz

- 4 gb ddr3 ram

-Win 7 x64

-HDD Caviar Black 600gb

-mobo P6T

-HD 4890 1gb vapor-x

Thanks and kind regards

It will definitely help. What res are you talking about?

I am at the moment getting a new PC (and yes I have a tight budget)

- Intel Core2Quad Q9400

- Gigabyte mobo (GA-EP41-UD3L SKT775 MOTHERBOARD)

- 4gb DDR2 ram

- Seagate 500gb HDD

- ATI HD5770 1gb GPU (the PC comes std. with a nVidia GT220 - which

- is laughable for this game)

- Gigabyte 585W PSU

- Windows 7 64bit OS

- and a near-future upgrade to 8gb RAM

Now all this comes with a full-hd LG 22" monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers, card-reader, internet security, LAN, the above OS, and an ATX midi-tower.

The price I have been given is AUD$1270

Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

I'm obviously not after a monster gaming PC - I just want a PC that I can play this game on comfortably - and within my super-tight budget.

Thanks guys.

It will definitely help. What res are you talking about?

I play in 1600x900.

Thanks

I play in 1600x900.

Thanks

I think you'll see some significant gains mate :D

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

- Intel Core2Quad Q9400

- 4gb DDR2 ram

- Seagate 500gb HDD

- Gigabyte 585W PSU

- Windows 7 64bit OS

Now all this comes with a full-hd LG 22" monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers, card-reader, internet security, LAN, the above OS, and an ATX midi-tower.

I'm obviously not after a monster gaming PC - I just want a PC that I can play this game on comfortably - and within my super-tight budget.

Thanks guys.

Sounds like a good box mate, should run the game well at medium/high settings with a decent view distance.

Thanks for the reply. Been pulling my hair out looking for a decent/cheap set-up and a GPU.

Why are there so many GPU's?! And more to the point why are there so many opposing views regarding which-is-better, lol.

Hopefully I can offload the GT220 on someone, so I can afford the HD5770.......

I'm guessing mid-high settings would allow around 40fps? with most of the settings on? (grass etc)

Thanks for the reply. Been pulling my hair out looking for a decent/cheap set-up and a GPU.

Why are there so many GPU's?! And more to the point why are there so many opposing views regarding which-is-better, lol.

Hopefully I can offload the GT220 on someone, so I can afford the HD5770.......

I'm guessing mid-high settings would allow around 40fps? with most of the settings on? (grass etc)

Yep, you should be good. ATI and Nvidia both offer good GPUs tbh, you can't go wrong with either.

ATI is definitely the better choice right now in terms of price/performance. Nvidia's new mid range cards aren't available yet.

- Intel Core2Quad Q9400

- 4gb DDR2 ram

- Seagate 500gb HDD

- Gigabyte 585W PSU

- Windows 7 64bit OS

Thanks guys.

It'll run on that but I really think if you're buying new you shouldn't get a s775 system. DDR2 isn't really cheaper then DDR3 these days. If you cant afford the i5-750 the phenom II's are the way to go. If you're on a really really tight budget you can even get an Athlon IIx2 for 40 euros :eek:. Decent amd boards are pretty cheap as well.

I think you'll see some significant gains mate :D

THanks mate, i´m go for the HD5870 then :yay: ... and if the game don´t run fine...i ask to you for refunds lol :p

Regards

THanks mate, i´m go for the HD5870 then :yay: ... and if the game don´t run fine...i ask to you for refunds lol :p

Regards

LAWL

/10 chars

@TG - Like Leon says, you could also look at an AMD Phenom II based system, they are very competitive with Intel at that level :)

Edited by BangTail

Okay- these specs are final for me, as I've already ordered the computer.

i7-860 (8mb cache) @ 2.8 gHz

8GB dual channel DDR3 SDRAM

(I know this, if anything here, is what will kill me)- nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3

1TB- 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s 16mb cache

Win 7 Home Premium

What kind of settings am I looking at? Will I be able to run this game enjoyably?

@TG

is this link working?

It should be a list of parts that together make a system that's quite a bit better then the q9400 system, even has win7x64. Of course you'd still have to put it all together, but here in the netherlands some webshops will do that for you and install the os for only 50 euro's extra. If google's euro to australian dollar convertor is somewhat accurate and prices aren't too different it'll be about the same amount of money. If you want to save 100 ausd you can get the athlonIIx3 425. Quite powerfull for a 63 euro cpu.

---------- Post added at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

(I know this, if anything here, is what will kill me)- nVIDIA GeForce G310 512MB DDR3

Ouch

gpu hierarchy chart

I looked it up and it seems most amd motherboards have a more powerfull gpu integrated.

maybe you can go bargain hunting and get a cheap 4850 or 8800 secondhand. They go for next to nothing.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I had actually just started to look at the Phenom II series.

I'll get back to you.