Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Wow, thats really suprised me :)

OCUK are offering 4870 radeons for less than 100 quid now, might be tempted and upgrade the rest later on in the year, likely to bottleneck hugely on the cpu though I think :(

Ive been playing around with my graphics settings and I can still pull 15-20fps at 1280x1024 everything on high, just cant get much past 20fps if there is much ai involved. Did one of the single scenario missions and got a steady 35fps on high settings, only 4 enemy ai though:o I suspect even if I were to get a 4870 I would still get rubbish fps :D

Hello. Can anyone shed some light on how well my current specs would run Arma 2?

CPU: Athlon64 6400+ dual core (it's stock at 3.2GHz).

RAM: 4gig DDR2 800Mhz.

GFX: 9600GT 512MB (BFG OC edition which has a slightly higher core speed than stock).

1680 x 1050 resolution.

I'm sure the 9600GT will likely be the main bottleneck in this game especially at that resolution so I was thinking of replacing it with a BFG GTS250 OC (maybe the 1gb version if I can find it, otherwise I'd get the 512mb). Opinions? I'm on a budget, hence me not upgrading to something even better.

Not sure if the CPU would fair OK in this day and age. It certainly handled what I've thrown at it this far into its life.

Anyway thanks.

Edited by Xandros

At your resolution arma2 should work fine with that gpu, I think you're more cpu limited. Of course a better gpu will allow more eyecandy (anisotropic filtering, aa, postprocessing all dont really load the cpu).

Edited by Leon86

AMD Phenom II X4 955

XFX ATI RADEON HD 5850

4 Gb RAM

1TB Samsung F3

Would this run this game well?

AMD Phenom II X4 955

XFX ATI RADEON HD 5850

4 Gb RAM

1TB Samsung F3

Should work great. I have the 965 and an HD5770 and I play high settings, no AA no post process with 35-45 fps. Campaign jitters at times but In the editor I can have hundreds of units fighting smoothly.

At your resolution arma2 should work fine with that gpu, I think you're more cpu limited. Of course a better gpu will allow more eyecandy (anisotropic filtering, aa, postprocessing all dont really load the cpu).

Well I certainly do want the eye candy. Maybe instead of a GTS250 I'll save up for something much better. The mobo and CPU will have to wait until the foreseeable future though. Thanks.

AMD Phenom II X4 955

XFX ATI RADEON HD 5850

4 Gb RAM

1TB Samsung F3

Oh, I forgot to add, would OCing the CPU or GPU increase performance substantially?

Oh, I forgot to add, would OCing the CPU or GPU increase performance substantially?

I don't know. I've heard you can safely push the 955 to 3.8ghz. I haven't done it since my cooling set up is very basic. I've heard ati card run hot to begin with so I haven't looked in oc'ing mine. Let's put it this way, I get stellar performance and you have a better gpu than me. So I think you will be satisfied.

As of now, I play the demo on high settings, very low view distance, and get 25 fps on Utes and 20 fps on Chernarus. Before i invest money into the game, i would like to know if this one processor:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80833&prodlist=cj (copy and paste)

...would provide a significant boost to fps, or even better if anyone has a similar unit. I have the original processor in a 2005 dell desktop (i am not sure how to identify the type of processor it shipped with) with a 9800 GTX SSC+ and 2.5 Gb DDR2 ram.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks ahead of time.

It will in most cases, just remember to buy a good motherboard (a gigabyte-UD4 looks nice) and a powerfull PSU.

Thee is NO WAY the general gaming public will be forking out for a octo-core any time soon lol. Only the richest people will be doing that and they are NOT the gaming majority unfortunately for them. Theres heaps of people still using XP for example. adn those peopel have no intention of going out and buying the mose expensive Processor.

current set up has 2 GB of ram, will another 2 have a significant difference in performance?

Hmmm, 32 fps w/ everything maxed except for FSAA in demo.

Wonder if I should. Steam demo is up to date or is it old, less optimized version?

Very, very old and unoptimized. 1.05 is miles better, it runs amazingly!

Hello

Which card do you recommend for my new PC

ATI 4890

ATI 5850

GTX 275

Im not sure , so I will be very glad for any advice :)

I can't believe it - i got the game running on my older one pc from year 2002.

P4 2.8 ghz (single core)

MoBo: ASUS P4S800

RAM: 2 x 1024 mb sdram pc3200

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 4650 1gb AGP

The game is running at 1280 x 960 (not sure exactly if it's now 900 or 960

but it's somewhere in the 9xx range) - everything on NORMAL and a few options

even on HIGH - postprocessing off (didn't like that at all) and no shadows.

The shadows i don't really need to enjoy the game and tbh i disabled them

right from start without testing the performance with shadows on.

Viewdistance 1600

FPS (taken from the result of the two FPS missions)

The first one was about: max 35 - min 12 - avg 23

and the second one mission: max 27 - min 7 - avg 17

I remember when ARMA 1 has been released and i had an FX 5700 ultra with 256 mb

in that pc - there was a slideshow going on in the desert with most settings down

to almost nothing.

That HD4650 turned this pc into a monster which doesn't stop impressing me - Crysis

Modern Warfare 2 - Grid - Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 - Medi Eval 2 total war - HAWX

ARMA 1 (everything on high) - Men of War - Theatre of War ..... nothing could stop

it yet but that i got ARMA 2 running on it made me already a little bit scared

of that pc. :)

:edit - btw there's that one rig which makes me really wonder how a game like ARMA 2

would look like on it. FASTRA II

~S~ CD

Edited by Chris Death

current set up has 2 GB of ram, will another 2 have a significant difference in performance?

On windows XP maybe, on Vista/7, probably. Unless you have a major bottleneck elsewhere.

hmm - maxmem = 2047 and that's it - everything above will get downgraded

automatically to 2047

Maybe one more gig to make windows happy but ArmA 2 won't touch anything

above 2047 - at least that's how i understood the description of the maxmem

startparameter in the biki. ;)

~S~ CD

Yup, I once used a 4 GB ramdisk on my 6 GB ram system (win7x64), In that case the pagefile was used for arma2 (I checked it with the tool qwertz is using in one of his ramdisk posts). So I would say another 2GB wont hurt on windows 7.

hi guys, have been trying to find an authoritative answer to this question for ages and it ain't easy....yes it is a "which notebook will run Arma2" question, mind you at Medium details is sufficent! And before you ask yes it has to be a notebook..

Theoretically the 5650 graphic card should be able to rock the house, right? Even at high levels of detail:

Acer Aspire 7740g

Intel® Core™ i3-330M Prozessor

2,13 GHz

500 GB

4 GB DDR-3-RAM

44cm / 17 Zoll

1600 x 900

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650

however, i think a lesser powered notebook should be able to do at least medium details, such as:

Samsung R580 010

Intel® Core™ i3-330M Prozessor

2,13 GHz

320 GB

4 GB DDR-3-RAM

40cm / 16 Zoll

1366 x 768

NVIDIA GT330M 1024MB mit max. 2298 MB

or even the Toshiba Satellite L555-10K:

Core 2 Duo P7450 2x 2.13GHz • 4096MB (x 2048MB) • 500GB • DVD+/-RW DL • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB

What do you think guys? Yes it has to be a laptoop, but I only played OFP for 10 years and reckon Arma2 might be just the same one true love. Btw yes I know alienware will do it, but the point in the minumum decent, and not the maximum affordable. Looking foward to some suggestions!

Oh btw, there is a great site for testing graphic cards and different games (http://www.notebookcheck.com/Welche-Spiele-laufen-auf-Notebook-Grafikkarten-fluessig.13827.0.html). Which of these games ist best comparable to Arma2? CoD Modern Warfare2, maybe?

Cheers, S

notebookcheck gpu overview

As you can see the 5650 get's 7000 points in 3Dmark 06. My 3-year-old 8800GTX (a desktop card) gets about 13000 points. So I dont think it will "rock the house" at high detail. It will run the game but expect low fps is gpu-intensive situations. The 330 isn't even that much slower if you look at the scores of nvidia cards with about the same specs. (It's at about 80% of the radeon). I wouldn't recommend acer laptops, they've got good specs for a reasonable price but the build quality isn't that good. That said you can probably get 2 acers for the price of 1 alienware.

Edited by Leon86

The 330 isn't even that much slower if you look at the scores of nvidia cards with about the same specs. (It's at about 80% of the radeon). I wouldn't recommend acer laptops' date=' they've got good specs for a reasonable price but the build quality isn't that good. That said you can probably get 2 acers for the price of 1 alienware.[/quote']

Yes i have heard that of acer ad nausem, think I will have to go for the Samsung or the Toshiba listed above...do you think I can do Arma2 at stable medium details here? Mostly prolly single-player play here btw, so I guess 30 FPS or so would be sufficent..

Cheers, S

@Siddhi - a friend of mine bought a toshiba laptop last week and it sounds similar

to the one you mentioned.

I think he got the same laptop with the only difference of 2 components;

He got the 4670 1gb vram - and 6gb of RAM and the price of

his laptop was € 800 here in Austria (usually things are cheaper everywhere else than

between the Alps). ;)

ARMA2 is running on high and above - 1600 x 900 and it's running smooth

~S~ CD

I play it mostly on low, but I have a 1920x1200 monitor and put viewdistance quite high. So I think you'll get your 30 fps.

As for laptop advice I'd get one that has a good warranty (or cheap extention of warranty) and close to 8000 3dmarks in 3dmark06. I heard ASUS make's good notebooks, stay away from HP, my dad has already killed 2 in 3 years (he gets them from the company he works for).

Edited by Leon86

@Siddhi - a friend of mine bought a toshiba laptop last week and it sounds similar

to the one you mentioned.

Since I am Austrian and in Vienna I would be very, very interested in the your friends machine !! Could you PLEASE find out where he bought it and what it is? This may be it...:yay:

PS:

Is this it? Toshiba Satellite L555-10Z (notice: 4650 card not 4670 )

Core 2 Duo T6600 2x 2.10GHz • 6144MB (1x 2048MB und 1x 4096MB) • 320GB • DVD+/-RW DL • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB • 3x USB 2.0/Gb LAN/WLAN 802.11bgn/Bluetooth • HDMI • 5in1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro/xD) • Webcam • • 17.3" WXGA++ glare LED TFT (1600x900) • Windows 7 Home Premium

man u might just rocky my world

PPS:

how much difference does 6MB RAM really make? Isn't it less important than CPU and Card?

Edited by Siddhi

Off course - expect it sometime soon ;

-----------------------------------------

Daun schreib i da a glei wo a'n kauft hot ;)

~S~ CD

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Got him on phone right now here we go:

He told me it's the Toshiba Satelite L555-10K

and about the grafix card all he can find out is: HD46xx

so i guess it's it must be the one below;

Core 2 Duo P7450 2x 2.13GHz • 4096MB (2x 2048MB) • 500GB • DVD+/-RW DL • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 1024MB • 3x USB 2.0/Gb LAN/WLAN 802.11bgn/Bluetooth • HDMI • 5in1 Card Reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS Pro/xD) • Webcam • 17.3" WXGA++ glare LED TFT (1600x900) • Windows 7 Home Premium • Li-Ionen-Akku • 3.00kg • 24 Monate Herstellergarantie (bei Registrierung)

He bought it at Elektro Haas (Pyramide @ Hagenbrunn/Seyring) Brünnerstrasse behind

Floridsdorf ;)

I have had a look into the online prospekt from HAAS but it's not listed in there so you

might try to call them on phone before to check out if it's still available, in case

you don't live close enough to look for yourself.

btw - I'm from Vienna aswell (22nd district) ;)

~S~ CD

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

I just called them - hurry up they got one last exemplary left for even only € 760.

Phone: 02246 20 000 0 - ask for Michael Gabmayer and he will reserve it for you. ;)

And yeah it's the 4650 ;)

:edit - they gonna close at 19:00 today

~S~ CD