Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hello! I am intrested in playing this game. However, I do now have a PC. I have a mac. I am looking to build my own computer with it's sole purpose to running and playing this game. I will need to do it with in a budget. I understand I need a quadcore, thats fine, but what about ram? and what is a great graphicscard that will run this game flawless. Keep in mind...budget without losing graphics or performace. I appreciate your help. I am jealous of you all who have played this awesome game.

the deal is there are a few different DDR3 types of RAM by the voltage rating. Get the RIGHT voltage rated RAM for your MB.

The Corsair XMS3 is 1.65V, do you know if that is the right voltage for the MSI P55-GD65?

Btw, which graphics card are you thinking of?
The new AMD Evergreen series. With native Direct3D 11 and OpenCL 1.0 support.

And of course Eyefinity, which is particularly interesting for diehard ArmA 2 gamers which are considering to purchase or replace their TripleHead2Go system.

hey guys,

i want to ask, if my pc will run ArmA II well with this configuration:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.00GHz AM3 8MB 95W BOX

GIGABYTE MA770T-UD3P AM3 ATX

1024MB Sapphire Radeon HD4890 VAPOR-X GDDR5 PCIe

2x2048MB DDR RAM PC3-10666 CL9

I will get it in about 2 weeks.

What are you talking about? Your post was completely unecessary.

His post was completely necessary, because what you said was, by most opinions, wrong.

the deal is there are a few different DDR3 types of RAM by the voltage rating. Get the RIGHT voltage rated RAM for your MB.

Again, unless I'm horribly out of date and DDR3 is completely and utterly different to everything before it, the voltage which the RAM runs at is dictated by the motherboard and not the RAM itself. The voltage rating is a theoretical maximum that that module can be run at. That said, all DDR3 modules will run at the same voltage level in all motherboards unless there's either something wrong, or you set it otherwise.

Do you have this, or you plan to build it?

I almost have it, ha. Parts should be waiting at my po box when I get home from field training in a couple days. Ordered them a couple weeks ago.

I've just ordered a new computer:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE 2,8Ghz

HIS Radeon HD 4870 1GB

Asus m4a78 pro mobo

4GB Corsair xms2 RAM

320GB SATA2 HDD

What settings do you think I'll be able to run ArmAII in? :)

That's nearly the same specs as mine, just different mobo and hard drive. You should be playing with everything at "Very high" and a 3.5k view distance :)

The two big cities and some very intense missions can bring the FPS down but mostly it runs great.

@anonym10: Well your specs are even higher so I'm sure you can guess.

Edited by Maddmatt

I'm not sure how to read computer language, so I'm humbly asking for assisstance in seeing if my computer can run this game.

I have a Gateway T-1625 Notebook laptop. Here are the stats:

CPU: AMD Turion 64X2 Mobile technology TL-60,

2.0 GHz, 512KB x2 L2 Cache,

Hypertransport technology at up to 1600 MHz

Memory: 2 GB DDR2 Dual Channel

Video: ATI Radeon X1270 with up to 256 MB of HyperMemory

Will my computer run this game and if so, how well will it run? If it won't, is there anything I can do to upgrade it?

His post was completely necessary, because what you said was, by most opinions, wrong.

Why dig that up? It's not an issue, and I stand by what I said. I'm not sure what opinion's you speak of other than your own, and although you're entitled to it, I was not wrong. You're just not following my line of thought. This doesn't matter, drop it, it was pages back and neither of you know what I meant, I don't want to explain it all. There were many posts and a lot of info thrown around. I wasn't wrong about anything, and I wasn't right about anything, I don't get what you mean but there's no need to throw the thread off topic weeks after the fact. /end topic

Edited by Rhammstein

Finally, i got my new machine last friday:

Its DELL XPS 730X:

Intel i7 950

3 x 2048 MB Ram

Single NVIDIA Geforce GTX295 1,8GB

Soundblaster XFI Titanium card

And iam not shure whats wrong...it looks ARMA2 isnt quite faster as on my old PC (Single AMD4000+ and Geforce 8800GTX)???

Whats going on?

Edited by Pranne

Finally, i got my new machine last friday:

Its DELL XPS 730X:

Intel i7 950

3 x 2048 MB Ram

Single NVIDIA Geforce GTX295 1,8GB

Soundblaster XFI Titanium card

And iam not shure whats wrong...it looks ARMA2 isnt quite faster as on my old PC (Single AMD4000+ and Geforce 8800GTX)???

Whats going on?

It isn't. You just need to do some tweaking and probably some driver updates. All new PC's need a little polishing.

You might want to take a look at some of the guides relating the the GTX295s, which have issues with this game.

My guess the problem is you bought a Dell...

haha, j/k... sorta

A... The voltage rating is a theoretical maximum that that module can be run at. That said, all DDR3 modules will run at the same voltage level in all motherboards unless there's either something wrong, or you set it otherwise.
No the its not the Maximum its the rated voltage for the speed of the Stick, and trying to put in high voltage rated RAM/DDR3 in iCore MB can be a serious issue. If you get the QPIv and DDRv to out of wack.

Depending on the SPD and how the MB bios reads it, you can have a unstable machine at worst or wasted silicone speed at best.

You dont want this for a i5 or i7 MB :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145249 its 1.8 which is beyond spec for iCore. and thats 1600 speed you where talking about.... so if you did get tuned in at 1.8 you could very well kill your cpu...Dramatic yes but out of warranty absolutely.

So you're saying that the motherboard automatically detects which voltage the chip is designed to run at and tries to run it at that voltage..?

In other words, Intel has built functionality into their motherboards that would serve no purpose other than to kill the motherboard?

So you're saying that the motherboard automatically detects which voltage the chip is designed to run at and tries to run it at that voltage..?

In other words, Intel has built functionality into their motherboards that would serve no purpose other than to kill the motherboard?

err no, that it will not let it go to 1.8, it will set it at 1.5 and have the speed of not 1600, most likely as slow as it can go And then it may not post.... You then have to tune it to get some speed out of it, and 1.8v its not good.Its wasted silicone, wasted $, Buy rated voltage ram for your MB. Its different now with QPI than FSB.

Interesting stuff. I still wonder how Intel managed to screw up what AMD had got right five years ago... :p

OK so I can just about play this with my current system.

AMD Athlon 64 6000+ X2

3GB RAM

nVidia 7950GT 512mb

Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

Windows XP SP3

Running mostly minimum apart from texture detail. Getting about 30 FPS in empty areas with nothing going on. Down to 15 in the cities. What would be a good thing to upgrade?

I only just bought the game yesterday so haven't had a really good run around or checked FPS. But most video options are currently in medium to low and it's still not that great.

And my system is very similar to Anessen's so I'd be interested in what people reckon would be the best bit to upgrade:

AMD Athlon 64 6000+ X2

2GB Corsair XMS2-6400 DDR2

Leadtek 8600GTS Extreme 256MB GDDR3

Windows XP SP3

I'm guessing the answers will be video card or everything.

There is no chance in hell that I'll be upgrading everything. I'm saving for a new motorbike and it has priority.

If I get a new video card it will be something relatively cheap like a Nvidia 9800GT 1GB GDDR3.

What do people think?

If I get a new video card it will be something relatively cheap like a Nvidia 9800GT 1GB GDDR3.

What do people think?

That would give you a small graphics boost. Maybe a Radeon HD 4850 would be a better choice, although things are still limited due to your CPU.

You might want to take a look at some of the guides relating the the GTX295s, which have issues with this game.

I think so, but the guy here in my company says the drivers are all up to date.

Must be something hidden in this machine, so far i installed ARMA 2 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, where the problem is the same.

Can someone tell me a benchmark to choose?

Than i can post the results here.

@anessen and Skaircro

Your graphicscards are very old and low to performance. I remember my X1950Pro was on the same level but even for ArmA 1 it was not enough to play in full detail.

First try to upgrade to a new graphics card. I am using a HD 4850 which costs only 70€. So there are cards which does not cost much and are capable of Arma 2 :)

Must be something hidden in this machine, so far i installed ARMA 2 and Microsoft Flight Simulator X, where the problem is the same.

It's not a driver issue. A lot of games don't like dual-GPU cards or SLI setups. There are some guides around here that will tell you how to optimize the game to work on them though.

Just search and learn, I have a similar setup, and it uses both cards. I get great performance with the graphics maxed out. I believe you can get well over 60fps, and more importantly sustain 60fps at all times once you get it figured out. Your PC is fine, trust me. It's just weird, some people it works for, others it doesn't. The game is using my cards, but I'm lucky I guess I didn't do anything.

Well, I can't be absolutely certain both cards, or, all four gpu's are being used because I think one is plenty because they're OC'd very very high, but I believe so because they both warm up, and the same. If one were warmer than the other perhaps only one card was being used and the other was getting warm from being in close proximity to the other, so they must both be utilized.

Anyways my SLI discussion was off topic my bad but my point is, one of these cards is enough to run this game very well, if everything is working properly. I think there are guides somewhere for ppl with GTX 295 cards...

You can grab a 3dMark demo and benchmark on standard settings and post your results, I'll definitely be able to tell if your hardware is working... I recommend 3dMark 06.

Would you guys know if demo performance would translate over to the full retail game? I downloaded the demo to see if it would run acceptably on my machine and it's been good so far with medium/low settings and minimal tweaking.