Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Ok, so, basically if I wanted to go with a cube case, I'd just need to find a micro version of that motherboard?

Also, does it matter what brand of CD/DVD drive I choose, and what all am I still missing as far as hardware goes. The only thing I can think of is a sound card.

Yeah, here's one.

No, pretty much all DVD drives these days are the same.

And you don't need a sound card, the motherboard has an integrated one. Unless you have really top notch surround speakers, you don't need a dedicated one.

Ok, thanks. I really appreciate it, you've been a huge help.

Here's what I'm looking at as far as internal hardware goes:

GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$89.99 $89.99

OR

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GMT-UD2H AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$89.99 $89.99

(Obviously I'll make that decision when I decide if I want a tower or a cube case)

CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail

$189.99 -$60.00 Instant $129.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX - Retail

$195.99 -$6.99 Instant $189.00

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664AA1067 - Retail

$73.99 -$10.00 Instant $63.99

LITE-ON Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDP118-04 - OEM

$17.99 $17.99

SAPPHIRE 100269HDMI Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

$194.99 $194.99

As far as cases go, here are a few I've been looking at. I appreciate any input that you guys may have. These ones seem to have pretty high marks:

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

$129.99 -$40.00 Instant $89.99

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$139.99 -$40.00 Instant $99.99

The following cases I found on xoxide.com. I don't know how reputable they are as a site, so if anyone has any opinions, please let me know.

Modtek Cassini Gaming Case

Regular:

$54.99

Sale Price:

$49.99 - You Save: 9% ($5.00)!

Auzentech GMC R-4 Bulldozer Case

Regular:

$99.99

SI Zodiac Case - Black

Regular:

$54.99

AeroCool M40 Cube Case - Black

Regular:

$89.99

Sale Price:

$75.99 - You Save: 16% ($14.00)!

Apevia X-QPACK Portable 3 Window Case - Silver

Regular:

$86.99

Sale Price:

$79.99 - You Save: 8% ($7.00)!

I know that there's a lot there, but I figure it's better to showcase a bunch of them now then to go back and forth and keep trying to find a better one.

Ideazon Gaming Pack

Regular:

$49.99

Anyone know if I should watch out for a pack like that? The benefit for me is that it keeps the price down and it's got the keyboard, mouse, and a headset all-in-one. I don't need top-notch stuff as long as it gets the job done.

will this be able to run arma2?

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7500 - Retail

ECS G43T-M LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 01G-P3-N964-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2K2/4GR - Retail

will this be able to run arma2?

Intel Core2 Duo E7500 Wolfdale 2.93GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80571E7500 - Retail

ECS G43T-M LGA 775 Intel G43 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

EVGA 01G-P3-N964-LR GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail

Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KVR800D2K2/4GR - Retail

The only problem I see is the 9600 is the GDDR2 version, no way. Get one with GDDR3 (which you can easily find for cheap) & you can run low to medium, and keep grass turned on etc etc :)

As far as cases go, here are a few I've been looking at. I appreciate any input that you guys may have. These ones seem to have pretty high marks:

XCLIO A380BK Fully Black SECC 1.0mm thickness ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

$129.99 -$40.00 Instant $89.99

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$139.99 -$40.00 Instant $99.99

If your going to spend that kind of money on a case I would recommend the HAF 932. Alot of the guys on the evga forums swear by them as being one of the best aircooled cases available atm. Also they have fantastic cable routing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119160

The antec 900 is an older case and I would definitely recommend the HAF over it.

Of course, looks are subjective. You may not like the haf. But IMO it's the obvious choice.

The storm sniper is also supposed to be a pretty good case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119196

Also be really careful if you are counting on rebates. Many are a PITA just to get the stuff turned in on time and correct and then you have to wait forever before you get them most of the time. That is if you get them at all. Many of them make you jump through hoops in hopes you do something wrong so they can invalidate the rebate.

I despise the rebate system. Be wary.

Edited by ICE-Raver

Those are great items, but I swear by the Xclio A380PLUS. It turns ppl off because they think the giant fan in the front is for looks, and sure, partly it is, but it's incredibly effective and quiet. Look into this case, look at the db numbers, like at the size of the other fan in the side. If I weren't running H20 GTX 295's, and running 295's on air, I'd bet it'd keep them ice cold. Even with my 3.7Ghz OC I have plenty of overhead as far as heat, not to mention my memory is OC'd to about the maximum. This case moves more air than any I've read about, I can't say I've read the specs on every case around, but for $99, IMO it's a real winner.

I think this case may compete with my 6,500 btu AC in the amount of air it moves!

The Storm Scout looks suspiciously like the Antec 900.

If your going to spend that kind of money on a case I would recommend the HAF 932. Alot of the guys on the evga forums swear by them as being one of the best aircooled cases available atm. Also they have fantastic cable routing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

The antec 900 is an older case and I would definitely recommend the HAF over it.

What has age got to do with how good it is?

I've read some head to head reviews that put the Antec 900 ahead of the HAF932. And the guys on the forum you talk about are hardly the most reliable source as I'm willing to bet that none of them have the Antec 900, when means their opinions are completely non-objective. I'd look for comparitive reviews, or reviews of the two cases done by the same website.

At any rate, the best cases are Lian Li ones, but they can be quite expensive.

That HAF case would be a nightmare to own unless you live in a hermetically sealed house. It has what? 6 or 7 fans and no dust filters, which is really bad oversight. I advise Antec all the way.

Ok guys, I've run into a conundrum.

I jumped onto ebay to get an idea as to what I'd be paying for some of these parts and I found a few people selling full computers for (relatively) cheap.

So now I'm not sure if I should spend more money on building my own or just buy a full system off of someone on ebay. I would only buy from a reputable seller with a high score and that would leave me with more money to spend on a better case and better keyboard/mouse/headset.

My girlfriend made an astute observation as well - I'm not the world's most patient person. Also, with how much money I'm going to be making at my new job vs. how much I pay in bills, it would take me a LONG time to save up the money to buy the parts that I'll need to build my own, which would be around $800.

Two notes about this:

- A lot of the systems I saw had fairly low specs but I thought I saw a few that looked pretty equal to the one I was/am going to build.

- I've never used ebay. I know that means I'm living in the stone age, but is it safe to be buying something like this on there?

Thanks much guys.

The only problem I see is the 9600 is the GDDR2 version, no way. Get one with GDDR3 (which you can easily find for cheap) & you can run low to medium, and keep grass turned on etc etc :)

whats the difference between GDDR3 and 2? do they both really make a big difference? on newegg.com i was going to get the combo deal for this whole new computer like what i copy and pasted and it had the 9600.

My new desktop:

Motherboard: Asus M3A76-CM AMD 760G Chipset

RAM: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 CORE 216 896MB 16X PCI Express x 2

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

How can I expect this to run?

The Storm Scout looks suspiciously like the Antec 900.

What has age got to do with how good it is?

I've read some head to head reviews that put the Antec 900 ahead of the HAF932. And the guys on the forum you talk about are hardly the most reliable source as I'm willing to bet that none of them have the Antec 900, when means their opinions are completely non-objective. I'd look for comparitive reviews, or reviews of the two cases done by the same website.

At any rate, the best cases are Lian Li ones, but they can be quite expensive.

Well you can read some of the debate here: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=100870448&mpage=1&key=

Alot of these guys are modders, most over overclockers. Opinions are like assholes of course, but my point was that alot of these guys preferred the haf over the antec 1200 (which I am running btw) and several have ran the 900 previously.

The 1200 is basically just an upgraded 900. Alof of guys are taking the haf over the 1200 so if I had to pick between the 900 and the haf I would pick the haf.

Of course, the haf is 40 bucks more expensive than the 900 atm.

A case is a case is a case pretty much. For this guy it probably wouldn't matter anyway.

It was just a suggestion.

Edited by ICE-Raver

To all those considering buying off the peg systems. I always reccomend to people that they avoid them as there is usually one component under spec for the purpose the machine is required for. It is a far better idea to build your own machine, that way when you inevitably need to upgrade some of the components in the future you'll have much more confidence in doing it. PC building is no more complicated than assembling a lego kit and providing you take the necessary anti-static precautions you are unlikely to kill any components.

You'll also have exactly what you need to perform the task you're building it for. To all those asking "will this computer I'm considering run arma2?" if you're asking the question then the answer is probably "no, not as well as you'd like".

As a rule to get the most out of this game you'll need a FAST multicore cpu and a graphics card like 8800 GT or better. A fast hard drive is a very good idea as well.

How good will Arma 2 run on this system

Core 2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz

6144 MB DDR2 800MHz

nVIDIA GTX260M 1024MB

You really dunno? You'll run on medium to high settings. Depends what resolution you want etc etc.

My new desktop:

Motherboard: Asus M3A76-CM AMD 760G Chipset

RAM: 4GB (2GBx2) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 CORE 216 896MB 16X PCI Express x 2

CPU: AMD Phenomâ„¢II X3 720 Black Edition Triple-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology

How can I expect this to run?

Pretty much the same, depends on resolution. Your cpu is the weak point, but only because we're talking about Arma 2. It's a good Cpu, and I'm sure it won't be an issue. I wouldn't expect to run it in 1920x1200. Keep it around 1680x1050/1600/1200, this go's for all 3 ppl I've quoted.

I'm planning on upgrading my pre-existing computer to these specifications soon.

Will I be able to play ArmA 2 with these specs?

If so, how will it run? (High settings, low settings, etc)

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-E SLI

GPU: BFG NVIDIA GTS250 OC 1GB

RAM: 8GB DDR667 PC2-5300 DDR2

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 64-bit

It'll run just fine on low to medium. Postprocess effects LOW. I actually still use my 2nd rig I just upgraded from and it's nearly identical in performance, if you'd like, I can tell you the exact options I use, I spent a good amount of time messing around with them and got it to run very well and look great.

Btw the system is:

Athlon 64 x2 6400+ 3.2Ghz

4GB DDR2 PC6400 800Mhz

BFG GeForce 9800GTX+ 1GB OC <<< EXACTLY the same as a GTS250 OC 1GB, except you'll have a little more memory bandwidth, mines 2000mhz, I think your's is 2200 or 2240 if you have revision b. Basically that means you can handle higher resolutions.

Edited by Rhammstein

Pretty much the same, depends on resolution. Your cpu is the weak point, but only because we're talking about Arma 2. It's a good Cpu, and I'm sure it won't be an issue. I wouldn't expect to run it in 1920x1200. Keep it around 1680x1050/1600/1200, this go's for all 3 ppl I've quoted.

Thanks. I ordered my parts last week and am waiting for them to get here so I can assemble everything. I just wanted a heads up on what I could expect, thanks.

HI Folks,

Currently Iam running one gtx280 OC2 (650Mhz) on my i7 system. I have

another GTX280 OC (615Mhz) in my media PC (overkill I know) , Iam thinking

of getting an el cheapo card for the media PC , then new SLI mobo + 1.2KW PSU and sticking both GTX280 in my PC.

Has anyone went from a single GTX280/285 to SLI configuration , and if so

what was the speed increase like and was it worth it ?

Costwise it will cost me at least £350 , so Iam a bit hesitant , any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Prepare for laughter.

Vista Home Premium

Intel® Core2 CPU 4300 @ 1.80GHz

2gb RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE

Anyone know a pre-built computer I could buy that could run ArmA 2 well? I can't build computers.

HI Folks,

Currently Iam running one gtx280 OC2 (650Mhz) on my i7 system. I have

another GTX280 OC (615Mhz) in my media PC (overkill I know) , Iam thinking

of getting an el cheapo card for the media PC , then new SLI mobo + 1.2KW PSU and sticking both GTX280 in my PC.

Has anyone went from a single GTX280/285 to SLI configuration , and if so

what was the speed increase like and was it worth it ?

Costwise it will cost me at least £350 , so Iam a bit hesitant , any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Well if your thinking of going SLI just purely for arma 2 then i would say its not worth it considering arma2 relies more on the CPU than it does the GPU, once the game is patched and the engine more optimized i would say 1 GTX 280 should be plenty.

On the other hand if you can afford to go SLI considering the psu alone will cost a pretty penny and your not doing it just for arma 2 then i say why not.

From what I've read there are mixed opinions with SLI/Crossfire performance. I know a friend who purchased a second ATI 4890 and it made no difference to his ArmA2-Mark score - yet Gamer just posted his/her results in the ArmA2-Mark thread and got insanely high scores using quad-fire.

Who knows :confused:

Out of principal, I'd down-grade the media centre PC's GPU and throw the second 280 into your gaming maching anyway since you've already paid for it and it's kind of being wasted in the media centre. Even if it doesn't greatly improve ArmA2's performance, it will improve your overall gaming performance! :)

EDIT: I just noticed you'll need a new SLI MoBo.. OK, then it will cost more than I thought.. Ah, things to consider!!! :D

Edited by doakwolf

...arma2 relies more on the CPU than it does the GPU...

Not quite true. ArmA2 depends on GPU ALOT!! CPU is mainly needed for AI and GPU does the visuals.

Shadowze: You will see an improvement if you go SLI but I don't think it will be 2x faster.

Maybe wait until patch 1.04 is out as that is supposed to improve game performance. Then decide if you need more.

Pretty much what the previous posters have said. You might see a noticable increase, but would it be a big enough increase to justify the cost of the purchase for ArmA2 alone? That's a bit of a gamble at this time. If you read the Troubleshooting forums, you'll see that some get a decent increase, and others don't seem to get any improvement at all. This could vary from any reason. I run the game with a single 9800gtx and a Q6600. In MP my fps varies on the mission, so I seem to take a bigger cpu hit than anything else, and I tend to alter my gpu settings to compensate usually keeping my Textures at very high, and Objects and Shadows at normal, and everything else at low cept AA which I keep off at this point in time. I could raise any of those settings (cept the AA) however the more busy missions would slay my framerate, and I tend to frequent the servers that run some of them, so I stick with a happy medium.

From the looks of it, your rig is quite the guerilla pimp, so I'd hope that you'd be somewhat happy with it's performance in ArmA2. If so I'd wait to see as the game matures more though patches and we start seeing more consistant framerate improvements with those running SLI, that is if you are doing this just for ArmA2. If not I know my weak willpower would convince me to go ahead with the SLI setup if I had the cash.