Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

@StripesReaper, I get 30 fps in the arma2 demo benchmark. Expect playable (although low @15fps and up) fps in the camapaign. The game is CPU bound (in our case).

Ahh, playable? Okay, thanks.

HD4890 scores higher in ArmA 2 benchmarks AFAIK

would a 550w powersupply suffice for those cards? (I have 600w with 8800GT!)

Also I would get more ram (especially if on 64bit OS)

Yeah, but it probably wouldnt use more than about 450W or so. If you want to check for yourself, try this.

so ive downloaded the demo to see if my computer will be able to play this game and its having some troubles.

Heres my specs that i know how to find:

Windows XP HE

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

1024 MB of RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS 512 MB

Im thinking i need a better graphics card and some more RAM.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Heres a screenshot and what the graphic settings are at.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/airsoft113/arma.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/airsoft113/armaspecs.jpg

Edited by growapair

so ive downloaded the demo to see if my computer will be able to play this game and its having some troubles.

Heres my specs that i know how to find:

Windows XP HE

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+

1024 MB of RAM

Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS 512 MB

Im thinking i need a better graphics card and some more RAM.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Heres a screenshot and what the graphic settings are at.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/airsoft113/arma.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk317/airsoft113/armaspecs.jpg

Buy a new GPU definetly and 3 gb more mem. 1 gb atleast. Your resolution is hidious. 1280 x 1024 res is minimum these days.

Here's my detail levels:

Res - 1280 x 1024

Texture Detail - High

Video Memory - High

Anisotropic Filtering - High

AA - Normal

Terrain Detail - Normal

Objects Detail - Normal

Shadow Detail - High

PostProcess Effects - High

VD - 2000

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4468/arma22009060921111383.jpg

Buy a new GPU definetly and 3 gb more mem. 1 gb atleast. Your resolution is hidious. 1280 x 1024 res is minimum these days.

So what GPU should i get for under $150? im thinking the GeForce 9800 GT

hows this setup? would it handle arma2 well? i was gonna add sli dual nvidia geforce gtx 260m GPU but u guys said that it jus causes a lot of hassle etc.

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9800 (2.93GHz,1066MHz FSB,6MB L2 Cache)

Single 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M

4096MB 1333MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

unfortunately i have 2 get vista as its the only choice with the m17x:(

Edited by ltait92

That looks like a good setup. Does the manufacturer not offer a free Windows 7 upgrade?

So what GPU should i get for under $150? im thinking the GeForce 9800 GT

As far as I know, the Radeon HD4850 is around that price. It's a good deal faster than the 9800GT.

Hi iam looking at geting a new processor have £150 budget

looking at geting AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 955 but is this the best i could get for £150?

Depends on what motherboard you have already. If you have a motherboard that can support them, or you need to get a new motherboard, the Phenom II is the most cost effective option. If you already have a recent (2007 or later) LGA 775 motherboard, it may be able to support a Core 2 Quad and you're better off getting one of those (Q9550 or Q9650)

wierd, that site reccomends 275w PSU for me lol?

That's about right for an Athlon 64 and a video card like the 8800GT that doesnt eat up much power.

Edited by echo1

ignore my comment above lol i think im jus gonna save for a few million years n get a falcon northwest fragbook drx. u can get a 3.6ghz intel core i7 processor in it....thats without being overclocked!!! :D

Or you could just get a proper computer. Probably would be lighter than a laptop with a Core i7.

u can get a 3.6ghz intel core i7 processor in it....thats without being overclocked!!!

Dubious distortion of facts is dubious...

Or you could just get a proper computer. Probably would be lighter than a laptop with a Core i7.

Dubious distortion of facts is dubious...

Nope, i have 2 get a gaming laptop coz im joining the army so ill b on the move a lot so.......:)

Nope, i have 2 get a gaming laptop coz im joining the army so ill b on the move a lot so.......:)

Yeah, I'm joining the navy next year (should've been the 6th of September but medical stuff happened).

9 weeks in basic training with nowhere to spend money =£1,540. Enough to buy a cheap laptop until a few months into phase 2 (technical training) where I'll get my gaming laptop. Not like I'll have enough time to play anyway. :eek:

Now what I really came here for:

I discovered a PC that's a few years old in the deepest, darkest regions of the cupboard under the stairs. It's 5 years old, the PSU is working, the optical drive should work as it was before we hid the PC. It doesn't even get to BIOS now, just bleeps like a tit :butbut:

So, here's the plan.

New Motherboard

New Ram

ATI Radeon HD4850 512

250GB HDD

AMD Phenom II, unless someone can recommend cheaper...

Total cost: £251

We still have the XP serial number so I'm going to call Miscrosoft and see if they can get a disc to us, if not...

Total with OS: £310

We still have a(n old) monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard and all that jazz so once that stuffs in (I think I'll buy in installments :p) I'll be good to go (I hope).

Yeah, I'm joining the navy next year (should've been the 6th of September but medical stuff happened).

9 weeks in basic training with nowhere to spend money =£1,540.

Lol try 20 weeks basic training, thats standard for the army. u get £1000-ish &they take £300 off 4 food etc so uve got £700 left to throw away lol ill have £3500 if i dont spend anything for the 5 months im away on basic:D

good luck with training btw:)

Yeah, wages are exactly the same across the board for the forces ;)

Basic training for the army consists of the AFC at harrogate as well though, doesn't it?

It'll take me 9 weeks basic+6months technical+12-18 months at an air station to be qualfied to undertake my job :O

Good luck to you as well, dude.

PS. Marines is 32 weeks ;)

EDIT: How about this processor, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250484803223&Category=80139&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2 ?

Edited by The

Yeah, wages are exactly the same across the board for the forces ;)

Basic training for the army consists of the AFC at harrogate as well though, doesn't it?

It'll take me 9 weeks basic+6months technical+12-18 months at an air station to be qualfied to undertake my job :O

Good luck to you as well, dude.

PS. Marines is 32 weeks ;)

EDIT: How about this processor, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250484803223&Category=80139&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2 ?

Nevermind, the Mobo isn't compatible.

This one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150366970606&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Anyone?

I am new to all of this. What I have right now is not able to Run ARMAII so i want to put together a new system. I was wondering. Is it better to have a quadcore processor with a slower speed (2.30Ghz) or a dualcore with 3.10 Ghz?

thanks in advance

I juts observed my comp is GPU limited in Arma2 (wierd, I know - but I have no change of frame rate when I change cpu clock from 2.4 to 3.2 Ghz, I use workstation class graphics card which isn't very good for games, not for Arma2 at least).

Question is which Nvidia card should I buy (I don't want ATI, I use my home comp for professional 3D work and gamer ATI cards are not good for it).

gtx285 or gtx295? Well, correct question would be - do you think ArmA2 will use SLI in near future?

I don't really want to wait for 300 series cards as well..

GTX275.

If you look at benchmarks, the 275 offers most of the performance of the 285 for much less money. And I wouldnt bother with dual GPU cards, a waste of money really... Unless you have a crazy setup with a pile of 30" screens.

Guys,

After playing Arma 2 and adjusting my settings to high, when i reload the game the next time around it sets them back to normal.

Is there a way around this?

Hi all

I've downloaded the demo of Arma 2, The full game should be delivered in a few days.

My system is:

Q6600 (not overclocked)

Asus P5Q mobo

HD4850

4gb DDR2

Vista 64 Ultimate

I'm getting 30fps on the demo's benchmark.

Is there anything I can do to improve this?

Any reccomendations for video settings?

Sorry for laziness just this thread is hundreds of pages long

Overclock that CPU - even bringing it up to 3GHz should give good results (those CPUs can go much further - 3.6GHz on air, 4GHz with a liquid cooler)