Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Just about to build my new pc and wondered if i should run arma 2 under Vista or Win 7?

Go with 7, it's basically Vista but greatly improved.

I've tried them all & I'm keeping 7.

There is a down side to running Windows 7 RC......

Upgrading to a European edition of Windows 7

Available only in Europe, the Windows 7 E editions ship without Microsoft’s Internet Explorer built in. The web browser-less release, made available by Microsoft in an attempt to conform with EU law, doesn’t offer an in-place upgrade from any prior edition of Windows.

Put simply, that means European consumers can’t perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 whatsoever. That also means that Microsoft won’t be offering Upgrade Editions of the software at European retail destinations. Instead, European customers will be treated to full Windows 7 E editions at upgrade prices. Despite the lack of a built-in browser, the Windows 7 E edition does carry one notable advantage.

Being a full edition of Windows 7, it doesn’t offer in-place upgrades, but clean installations are available without the need for an existing, activated Windows operating systems. European users, then, can simply wipe a hard drive and install any version of Windows 7 E.

Who’d have thought upgrading to a new operating system could be so complex?

MS upgrades typically go balls up anyway.

On the installation one gets to pick the Internet browser anyway.

Getting mine on Aug 6th from MSDN.

I think wooly back jack is wondering why the AMD requirements are higher than the Pentium 4 ones (it's actually the reverse for the recommended requirements, the AMD processor recommended is much slower than the C2D one recommended)

no no no, I was wondering why a single core 3200+ is minimum for AMD but a dual core 3.0ghz Intel? :)

There is a down side to running Windows 7 RC......

Upgrading to a European edition of Windows 7

Available only in Europe, the Windows 7 E editions ship without Microsoft’s Internet Explorer built in. The web browser-less release, made available by Microsoft in an attempt to conform with EU law, doesn’t offer an in-place upgrade from any prior edition of Windows.

Put simply, that means European consumers can’t perform an in-place upgrade to Windows 7 whatsoever. That also means that Microsoft won’t be offering Upgrade Editions of the software at European retail destinations. Instead, European customers will be treated to full Windows 7 E editions at upgrade prices. Despite the lack of a built-in browser, the Windows 7 E edition does carry one notable advantage.

Being a full edition of Windows 7, it doesn’t offer in-place upgrades, but clean installations are available without the need for an existing, activated Windows operating systems. European users, then, can simply wipe a hard drive and install any version of Windows 7 E.

Who’d have thought upgrading to a new operating system could be so complex?

Yawn... If you are switching from 32bit Vista or XP (either 32 or 64 bit versions) to 64-bit Windows 7 (as a large proportion of people will) you'd have to reinstall anyway. Even if that weren't the case, a fresh reinstall is recommended.

Oh, and the fact that IE doesnt come with it is a huge advantage in my books :wink_o:

no no no, I was wondering why a single core 3200+ is minimum for AMD but a dual core 3.0ghz Intel?

Good point, also, the minimum C2D is 2GHz, which would be miles ahead of the 3200+. In addition, the recommended requirements is a 4400+ Athlon 64 X2, or a 2.8GHz C2D. Again, too very different CPUs are supposedly on the same level...

Edited by echo1

Yawn... If you are switching from 32bit Vista or XP to 64-bit Windows 7 (as a large proportion of people will) you'd have to reinstall anyway. Even if that weren't the case, a fresh reinstall is recommended anyway.

Oh, and the fact that IE doesnt come with it is a huge advantage in my books :wink_o:

I agree, upgrading is never the best option, a clean install is always the best place to go. No IE is a blessing, people who use it need to discover how much better Firefox 3.5 is.

HHD: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM

LCD: ASUS VH222H 21.5â€

Motherboard: ASUS P5N72-T Premium

Memory: 4 OCZ Flex EX 2GB DDR2

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1

Video Card: ASUS ENGTX29/2DI/1792MD3/A GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896

Edited by ScorpionGuard

Hi Guys,

I'm running Intel E8400 Overclocked at 3.6 gig and an ati 4850 512mb. I want to upgrade my video card for ARMA 2. I don't care if its Nvidia or ATI. What card would you suggest that runs well with ARMA in the high performance sweet spot area (if that makes sense). I'm after a very good card, getting close to making the e8400 the bottleneck, but not the newest and most expensive one which are always way overpriced for value/performance

Thanks in advance, help is much appreciated

EDIT: Maybe between 4890 or GTX 275? Any seem to run better on ARMA 2?

Edited by jgdj19

The HD4890 performs the best with ArmA 2 out of any currently available graphics card. What sort of results have you got with the HD4850?

The HD4890 performs the best with ArmA 2 out of any currently available graphics card. What sort of results have you got with the HD4850?

I don't know FPS sorry. Running 1600 x 1050 resolution with most settings on normal, 3d rendering detail on 100% and 1 or 2 other settings on high, its playable but not the nicest. Don't have exact settingw with me at the moment...

Bloody mouse lag sucks though

The mouselag is a really odd one. It's definitely not a performance issue - I have a less powerful PC than you, and I can't recreate the mouselag no matter how hard I try. On the other hand, there are people with the best components who still get massive mouse lag.

yeah, I dont think you would need win 7 ultimate though, win7 home premium 64bit would be just the ticket.

have a look at the charts, the extras you get arent really that special

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare-editions

I'm getting it for free through the MSND account my work has anyway, so I might as well go for the Ultimate.

Faster than Vista, and either faster or slower than XP depending on your hardware.

Faster than Vista, and either faster or slower than XP depending on your hardware.

It's a

i7 Oc'd to 3.8

275 EVGA

3GB 1600mhz

It's a

i7 Oc'd to 3.8

275 EVGA

3GB 1600mhz

You'll be fine on either Vista or Win7.

I'd leave Vista though. Win7 is an improved version of Vista.

Hi guys,

I want to buy GFX card from newegg.com.

Did any of you buy hardware there, what's your experience with them, are they reliable?

Thanks

my good computer broke and now im left with a computer with a single core 2.0ghz cpu and a nvidia geforce 9600gt what kind of settings can i play on with a good fps?

So could i play this on max with good fps?

Please Pm me answers guys!

Specs Summary:

* AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz Processor

* Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

* ATI Radeon HD4870 1GB

* 4GB High-Speed DDR3-1333 Memory

Anyone using a Q9450 or higher in that series? i would like to know your opinions on that quad chip please

whats fps,gfx settings etc...

Q9550, 4mb ram, GTX 285, everything on medium with decent fps.

low, very low, and disabled and if it is a single core Intel you have no chance

Sorry for OT, but that pic link before spoiler tag is hilarious. I always burst in laughing whenever i see that "Chemical Ali" guy. And i have to admit that text under is bullseye too apparently for some people and their high end machines. :D