Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

Hi Guys,

My first post on the forum so a huge "hello" to all!!

Purchased the game today and would really appreciate some advice on the graphics settings and their individual impact on FPS - I want to crank the eye candy as much as possible but aint gotta clue which options will hammer my system.

FYI my rig consists of the following kit:

Core i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

6GB Patriot DDR3

8800GTX

Hi Guys,

My first post on the forum so a huge "hello" to all!!

Purchased the game today and would really appreciate some advice on the graphics settings and their individual impact on FPS - I want to crank the eye candy as much as possible but aint gotta clue which options will hammer my system.

FYI my rig consists of the following kit:

Core i7 920 @ 3.2Ghz

6GB Patriot DDR3

8800GTX

Use Nvidia drivers 180.48, they are old but run the game the best for the 8800GTX. Trust me, they are worth their weight in gold. I tweaked the game for days (talking about a 40% increase in fps with very high settings).

Thanks for the advice mate, do these drivers run OK on Vista 64bit OS?

Also, can you advise me on which settings, when cranked, hit the FPS hardest?

Thanks for the advice mate, do these drivers run OK on Vista 64bit OS?

Also, can you advise me on which settings, when cranked, hit the FPS hardest?

What I do, I get between a steady 30-40fps @1440*900, is turn everything to very high except AA, which I leave on normal. After long tweaking I noticed that their is not much fps difference between low and very high settings. These drivers however make all the difference in the world. Before that I was hovering around a steady 15-20 fps. Running x86 (normal xp) here.

You should get abit higher fps as you have a better cpu, I have an AMD x2 6400 (3.2 GHZ dual core). But our 8800GTX outperforms a GTX295 in this game ;-)

PS: viewdistance 4000

Edited by p75

in order of hardest hitting

1. view distance

2. shadows detail

3. Anti Aliasing

4. Resolution (set render resolution to the same as this, else it looks like crap. Don't set it any higher than your screen res, use AA instead)

5. Object detail

All above are pretty hard on performance when cranked

6. Texture Detail

7. terrain detail (affects amount of grass most importantly)

8. Texture filtering

9. Post processing

Edited by -=seany=-

in order of hardest hitting

1. view distance

2. shadows detail

3. Anti Aliasing

4. Resolution (set render resolution to the same as this, else it looks like crap. Don't set it any higher than your screen res, use AA instead)

5. Object detail

All above are pretty hard on performance when cranked

6. Texture Detail

7. terrain detail (affects amount of grass most importantly)

8. Texture filtering

9. Post processing

In my test with ArmaMark, the higher end ATI cards seem to get better fps with shadows turned up (high or very high) instead of down. There doesn't seem to be a magic setup that cures all evils for every system. You have to tinker with the settings until you find a setup that works best for you. On my 2 ATI HD4890 crossfired AA and AF seem to affect my performance the most.

Hello All ,,,

I need help :-(

I just plunked down some big cash for this new PC just to run ArmA2

and I'm only getting 10 - 12 FPS on lowest settings ....no matter what I try

I mean Damn (o,O)

Specs are

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz Processor

MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366

NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT 1GB

6GB High-Speed DDR3-1333 Memory Triple Channel

500GB Serial-ATA-II

580Watt Power Supply

Vista Home Premium 64-bit

After reading through this Forum I don't know what to think

sounds like This machine should be playing the game fine from what some have said ????

Heres the Kicker

I've got another 5 year old dell that plays ArmA pretty good on all high settings

the dell specs are

Intell® Pentium®4 CPU 3.40Ghz

2 gigs Ram

Geforce 9800 GTX -1 gig

XP Pro

20-25 FPS with ArmA2 all Settings on high or better with AA on this old dell rig

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm pretty flustered :-/

Thanks

Should do!

I've just ordered my PC today and its fairly similar!

AMD Phenom II 955 x4 3.2ghz Quad

2x2GB DDR3 RAM 1200mhz (summat like that)

Nvidia GTX275

Someone told me the spec looks good on paper but ArmA2 can sometimes be wierd about certain set ups...

ok jack cheers for that mate... fingers crossed then for both of us.

hey guys im new to the forum so be patient... ha. em im wondering will my pc run arma 2... im on a tight budget and dont want to pay 1k to get the latest gaming gpu or cpu. im onlf 14 so im not an engineer or anything but recently ive been modding my pc on a very tight budget for roughly 200 euro... ive put in a intel dual core 2.6ghz and an asus p5kpl/1600. i have a good graphics card an ati 4770 which my uncle got me from the US but what kind of settings will i be able to run arma 2 on... im hoping for at least medium and not at a high resoulution probably around 1100X i cant remeber the other number but anyway my monitor is 19 inch so im not one of those hardcore gamers with a really high powered gaming rig and HD monitor with surround sound aswell.

19 inch = low resolution (1280x1024 is what im at non widescreen, 1400x900 for widescreen?) which 'should' mean you can play on nice enough settings.

Well I'm no PC guru ...

But I figured this was the case

It really doesn't matter how many CPU cores you have

Quad Core -Duel Core- Duel Quad core .. :-)

This new state of the art .......

Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz Processor

is just a 2.6 single core when it comes to games

Bummer ...

READ More Here.........

http://www.avforums.com/forums/motherboards-cpus-cases-psus/900731-what-cpu-gaming-core-2-e8600-quad-q9550-2.html

I'm almost ready to build a new pc....yet (after going through the endless amount of posts) I'm still not sure whether I should go for i7 920 setup or Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 setup? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by UltraSur76

Hey so I'm new here, and I just ordered a computer. I know it can play ArmA 2 but I was wondering what settings I can hope to be running it at? Specs are:

Processor: AMD Athlonâ„¢ X2 7750 Black Edition 2.7GHz Dual Core (2x 512MB L2, 2MB L3 Cache)

Graphics Processor: Single 512MB GDDR3 ATI Radeon HD 4850

Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB

I'm don't know much about computers so if I should post anything else tell me and I'll post it ASAP. Thanks in advance!

Is the game would benefits some fps boost if I add an external audio card? I currently use my default Realtek and I can use an Audigy 4 if I could.

Some games doesn't really matter if I use software or hardware audio but some have some quite differences.

I'd like to know if ArmA could do a difference.

It will not help you with FPS, that's for sure. Maybe the sound, but most onboard HD audio cards sound fine.

I get about a 2 fps boost (not really worth it for the performance), that said, I'm using an X-Fi extremeGamer card with fairly decent 5.1 speakers and I can tell you that it makes an immense difference in sound... it becomes something extremely great to just listen to the battles.

Yeah I can't have much speaker sounds because I live in an apartment, and I much prefer headphones since I don't have budget for a decent speaker system. I can live with sound imperfections.

I always had a pci audio card never used onboard. Graphic cards you plug into do graphics audio cards you plug into audio ?

Memory: 4GB« Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4 x 1024MB

To get advantage of dual channel you need to change to 2x2048 and read manual for mb to find out which slots you should use.

What budget NVIDIA card is the best for running medium settings in ArmA2?

why nvidia? 9800GT is decent and should be able to run ArmA 2 at medium-high settings. But if i were you i would get myself the HiS ATi Radeon 4850 PCI-E Card, :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161275

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161259

i have the exact same 512mb card, its so awesome! i can run the game at practically max all very high settings except AA or Medium-disabled and shadows on normal so my Fps doesnt drop, the card is always 30-33 idle and never goes over 40 when underload even Overclocked the card at 700 Mhz core clock and 1200 memory clock and have had no problems

To get advantage of dual channel you need to change to 2x2048 and read manual for mb to find out which slots you should use.

Nah, dual channel works fine with 4 sticks.