Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

q8200 2.33

e8400 3.0

x3 710 2.6

7750 x2 2.7

Q8200.

Bare in mind that XP will not recognize all of your 4GB of RAM. It can see only around 3.

Q8200.

Bare in mind that XP will not recognize all of your 4GB of RAM. It can see only around 3.

I know bout the win xp Ram thingy ^^

but why the q8200 ? lol i get different answers on every forum :p

gta forums said Q8200 isnt that good even though its a quad, others said th E8400 is better, gamespot said the X3 is better xD

Personally I find the AI to be very fair and I play at veteran with 1.0 skill for friendly and enemy. Granted there are some issues like reporting an apc from the other side of the map or the supposedly now fixed issue of dead units reporting who killed them. I never felt their accuracy was overdone, it is just right for me.

It is a very good thing though that there are skill sliders that can be tweaked for each person's need. I am very interested in their effects. I recall in the demo I played the first mission with 1.0 skill at the options menu and it was very difficult, actually my team was always cut to pieces and realistically so given the overwhelming odds against us (basically mission design). Then I tried it with enemy AI set at 0.4 maybe and I finished it from the first time. My AI team mates were engaging the enemy professionally and we finished the mission with only little help of the other friendly forces.

Now the thing i would like to know about is the difference between the AI skill slider in the options menu and the individual skill slider for each unit in the editor. Which slider affects what? and if they both affect the same things then which slider takes precedence over the other ?

After looking at some benchmarks, I've revised my opinion, and I'm going to go for the X3 710. The reason why I went for the Q8200 is that even though it isn't a spectacular CPU, it's a quad core and therefore gives better future proofing. But looking at benchmarks, the 710 X3 out performs the Q8200 at just about everything, and trades blows with the E8400 at various points. At some of the more dual-core optimized games that are out today, the E8400 is probably the best. The Q8200 would perform best with stuff that could actually use all four cores, but the X3 710 gives a good compromise between both if you get me.

Now, if you could stretch the extra 20-30 euros or so and get a X3 720, then the choice would be even more clear cut.

Here are the benchmarks I was referring to.

LoL I don't play other games like BF2142 that much anymore because they are full of cheater players with aimbots that detect and kill you from very far away distances and now I come to this new game to find out that the AI does pretty much the same :D

After looking at some benchmarks, I've revised my opinion, and I'm going to go for the X3 710. The reason why I went for the Q8200 is that even though it isn't a spectacular CPU, it's a quad core and therefore gives better future proofing. But looking at benchmarks, the 710 X3 out performs the Q8200 at just about everything, and trades blows with the E8400 at various points. At some of the more dual-core optimized games that are out today, the E8400 is probably the best. The Q8200 would perform best with stuff that could actually use all four cores, but the X3 710 gives a good compromise between both if you get me.

Now, if you could stretch the extra 20-30 euros or so and get a X3 720, then the choice would be even more clear cut.

Here are the benchmarks I was referring to.

Cant put in something else its between those 3

I actually rather would go for the Quad cause like u said its a quad core and more for the future.. cause i dont plan upgrading every 3 months

saw benchmarks of crysis and fallout etc and it seems the E8400 is better then thje X3 and the Q8200 is also at some points (games) better but at apps the amd is better but i plan only gaming

the Q8200 is only 330 euro wich is also good, the E8400 380 dont know if i could get htat money

the AMD 350 euro

Mhmm. The difference between the X3 and the Q8200 in terms of performance is pretty minimal, and if the Q8200 is the cheapest, then it may be just a good choice.

I hope those prices are not for the processor alone?

I am looking to tweak the AI behavior when detecting and shooting at prone players

"unfair" ? Unfair like you sniping 10 poor unsuspecting AI from some high vantage point during a mission, or mowing down half an AI squad with an M240 maybe ?

I think the word you might be considering is "realistic" or "even-handed", this game is not like other FPS.

*SIGH...

I'm not complaining about ARMA2 being a realistic game. I LOOOOVE that it's realistic and that's why I'm PLAYING it. My problem with it is that the AI can see me through houses, rocks, TONS of high grass that "I" cannot see them back through.

I don't WANT them dumbed down, but I DO want the playing field level. The AI being able to shoot me with an AK-47 from 250+ meters away THROUGH A LITTLE CRACK IN A WALL, while they are PRONE, and can SEE ME through 250+ meters of GRASS that I cannot see them back through is not "fair".

It's a CODING issue that needs to be resolved so that the AI cannot see through things REAL players cannot see through. That's all my point was about, don't get so excited.

Now back to the topic at hand....

Adjusting the sliders helped a LOT. Turn it down to around .50 and the AI becomes retarded and will just stand there and let you shoot at them. They do some running around and all, but don't seem to hunt for you.

At .75 they will hunt you but it still seems like they have uncanny shooting ability from WAAAAAY OUT.

So, for our server we have been playing with the slider between .65 and .75

Just remember, from what I can tell, whoever is HOSTING the server needs to make that change. People who join you will get whatever setting you have for the server.;)

Thanks again for the help

We can see AI through buildings and trees as well, at least on normal difficulty settings. They show up red on the map if they are close or if any squad member has eyes on. We can also "select" enemy forces in the command menu even if they are hidden behind dense foliage (which usually blocks their LoS.)

It does go both ways. That's why you can still kill a few dozen of the enemy on your own.

i've noticed that the artificial idiots in armaII are a lot more accurate than in vbs2, the reason for that probably being that vbs2 is made as a military/security/law enforcement training tool so realism is important, but armaII is geared towards gamers who spend hours playing things like this for fun and are naturally fast at point n' clicking to shoot 'n kill or taking advantage of a weakness in the ai behavior.

i have to admit that i like armaII because i can play it at home without having to buy a license that costs $1000. to compensate i just use a mod like thunderbirds or archangels that helps balance things out, 'cos hey not all of us mere mortals can shoot an evading target at 400m and score a first round kill with the iron sights of an akm every time like the ai can in-game. heck if i could do that in real life i would have signed up to be an olympic target shooter and raked in the gold. ;)

Edited by [SEN]Shaitan
removed reference to employment

lol no their not :D

it's a complete pc with a 320 or 500 gb hdd 4gb ram mobo and all those things I use my current 9600gt for it. So should I go with the Intel of AMD ? or is the E8400 REALLY that much better?

AMD's tend to be just that little bit faster imo :) but if ones cheaper than the other.. it wont make much difference.

lol no their not :D

it's a complete pc with a 320 or 500 gb hdd 4gb ram mobo and all those things I use my current 9600gt for it. So should I go with the Intel of AMD ? or is the E8400 REALLY that much better?

Nah, it isnt worth it. Go for the Q8200.

AMD's tend to be just that little bit faster imo

Nope, AMDs CPUs are, clock-for-clock, slower than Intel's ones. AMDs ones are for the most part better value for money. That said, Intel has dropped prices in reponse to the Phenom II, so AMD isnt as competitive as it was a month or two ago.

Shaitan;1376171']i've noticed that the artificial idiots in armaII are a lot more accurate than in vbs2' date=' the reason for that probably being that vbs2 is made as a military/security/law enforcement training tool so realism is important, but armaII is geared towards gamers who spend hours playing things like this for fun and are naturally fast at point n' clicking to shoot 'n kill or taking advantage of a weakness in the ai behavior.[/quote']

Technically speaking VBS2 AI is slightly modified version of the ARMA1 AI, it is a safe bet that your hated ARMA2 AI or a modification of it will feature in whatever BIA intends to do next..... unless ARMA3 comes first of course.

Shaitan;1376171']

i have to admit that i like armaII because i can play it at home without having to buy a license that costs $1000. to compensate i just use a mod like thunderbirds or archangels that helps balance things out' date=' 'cos hey not all of us mere mortals can shoot an evading target at 400m and score a first round kill with the iron sights of an akm every time like the ai can in-game. heck if i could do that in real life i would have signed up to be an olympic target shooter and raked in the gold. ;)[/quote']

Now now we are a bit exaggerating aren't we. But you would be surprised at how many of "us mere mortals" can match or exceed AI marksmanship :rolleyes:

The AI is most definitely flawed in this game.

One example I could provide is running through dense forest more than 400m away from a town, yet still being spotted and shot at. By dense I mean there is no way I can get visual on the target without moving towards a clearing.

Not to mention lying prone in a field of tall grass ammount to nothing when trying to hide from the enemy.

Since I can't play the campaign because it lags and I completed all the scenarios now I TRY to play combat type missions you can create in the scenario section and my AI squad is incredibly dumb and careless. Half of my them gets massacred in the first secop the HQ gives us because they refuse to engage targets and break the formation to find cover. I put them to 'aware' mode and tell them to 'open fire, engage at will' but they stand no chance against the enemy. I tried to lower the AI in the difficulty settings but it seems like enemy generated by the secop module are all superhumans who aren't affected by this. I created a secop mission in the editor and set all my team mates' skills to max but they still died in a few minutes. I tried to move them and make them flank the enemy to no avail.

Strange thing is in the campaign and scenario missions my AI team mates are exremely aware and kill more enemies than I do. So what's with these Combat missions?

Oh and how come my team mates NEVEr copy my stance when I tell them to 'keep low'?

Edited by BlackLord

*SIGH...

I'm not complaining about ARMA2 being a realistic game. I LOOOOVE that it's realistic and that's why I'm PLAYING it. My problem with it is that the AI can see me through houses, rocks, TONS of high grass that "I" cannot see them back through.

I don't WANT them dumbed down, but I DO want the playing field level. The AI being able to shoot me with an AK-47 from 250+ meters away THROUGH A LITTLE CRACK IN A WALL, while they are PRONE, and can SEE ME through 250+ meters of GRASS that I cannot see them back through is not "fair".

It's a CODING issue that needs to be resolved so that the AI cannot see through things REAL players cannot see through. That's all my point was about, don't get so excited.

Now back to the topic at hand....

Adjusting the sliders helped a LOT. Turn it down to around .50 and the AI becomes retarded and will just stand there and let you shoot at them. They do some running around and all, but don't seem to hunt for you.

At .75 they will hunt you but it still seems like they have uncanny shooting ability from WAAAAAY OUT.

Just remember, from what I can tell, whoever is HOSTING the server needs to make that change. People who join you will get whatever setting you have for the server.;)

Thanks again for the help

AI sees through grass layer. That is all

They definitely don't see through rocks, walls, houses and such. Fallacies.

They know your exact position, even when hidden behind anything, if you just killed one of their groupmember, and will try so shoot there if material permits it. This will be corrected in 1.03

They estimate your hiding spot after having seen you go behind the obstacle, if you continue moving predictably, they suppression fire can get you

Once they are locked on you (ie, you're the main target of a group member), they'll concentrate their research pattern on you, and use more than simply their eyes to spot you, hears also, and I'm afraid their hearing capabilities is a tad too much (it was like that in ArmA1), meaning you better avoid running even when behind big cover.

Hope that clears a little bit of the misunderstandings about "AI see through houses and walls"

Why should you be able to take down a whole squad on your own from 200m while the AI just stands around or shoots like army recruits or amateurs? Try to play the redone mission from OPF which is called "Sniper" and be sure to move a bit away (for about 500-700m) from the enemy and you will see that it is not impossible to take them out one by one from a distance.

I think after trying this in a couple of misions, it is more for the reaction time of AI not accuracy. Lower slide means they are slower in response when they see you. But their deadly accuracy is same as I far as I observe.

Any other way to reduce accruacy aisde from a few addons out there (which work great!)? (addons are a headach in MP)

Adjusting the Slider in the Game Options menu has an effect on both the AI’s skill (Awareness) and precision (Accuracy). So for those that want to keep the AI’s competence but lose the accuracy there is an easy alternative.

1) In the Game Options menu adjust the respective Difficulty level of your choice (Recruit, Regular, etc.) for Friendly & Enemy units to CUSTOM and set the respective Sliders to 1.

2) Navigate to - My Documents - ArmA 2 Folder

3) Open “yourname.ArmA2Profile†with Notepad or Word.

4) Once you have opened “yourname.ArmA2Profile†with Notepad or Word you will see the respective Difficulty levels and directly below each Difficulty level you will find the following lines.

skillFriendly=1;

skillEnemy=1;

precisionFriendly=1;

precisionEnemy=1;

Adjust the precisionFriendly and/or precisionEnemy to a lower number than 1. Currently my setting is as follows:

skillFriendly=1;

skillEnemy=1;

precisionFriendly=0.490000001;

precisionEnemy=0.49000001;

Please remember Any number below .5 has a serious negative effect on AI accuracy and any number above .5 has a substantial increase on AI accuracy. For example 0.50000006 is a noticeable improvement to the AI’s accuracy over 0.49000001. By the way don’t let the extra number digits concern you as far as choosing higher or even lower numbers just choose a number between 0 & 1 and the game will take care of the rest.

* Warning * If you adjust the Slider bar in the Game Options menu at any point to get a lower AI awareness than 1… make sure to navigate back to “yourname.ArmA2Profile†to check on your set precisionFriendly and/or precisionEnemy as adjusting the Slider any could affect the values that you have already set for the AI’s accuracy.

Edited by RevolverOcelotKJB

Whisper put it perfectly. Noticed it many times myself too while trying to flank a base, drawn suppresion fire onto a rock I was hiding behind, managed to sneak away from the rock and to the right flank of the base and they were still suppressing the rock til I opened fire from the right.

And about the AI of your squad mates, yep, they seem stupid, the reason for this being that they're too subordiante. If you tell them there's danger, it doesn't matter how safe it is they'll take an hour to travel 300m, if you tell them it's safe when you're under fire, they'll lie prone while bullets fly at them but the moment the bullets stop they think "yep, it's all clear" and stand up waiting for your next order.

I hope this gets fixed soon to make them more autonomous. Although that has it's downsides, I remember back in OFP I used to try to send squad mates charging into battle but they were so smart that they knew when they were beaten and would retreat no matter what you told them to do, so I would often shoot them for treason. It was very good design but was annoying when you were trying to get them to rush, you could set an AI option to make them less likely to flee but eventually you had to put a script in telling them that they couldn't flee regardless.

I'm not sure if the flee slider is in Arma 2 (haven't done much editing) but it was a great option and it'll be good if that gets put back in along with AI being more self-aware without needing every command from their squad leader.

As a side note, try setting up a mission with you as just a squad member and let an AI command, you'll notice that they AI seems a lot smarter, but they need to be told what to do.

Just lowering precisionEnemy / precisionFriendly in your profile to anything below 0.6 will render your AI marksmans / snipers / machinegunners completely useless on distance (based on my tests).

So far i think this mod by [sEN]Archangel:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1362143&postcount=107

does quite a good job in balancing AI accuracy.

It has some kind of issues with VOPSOUND though.

If you use it then just remember to keep your precisionEnemy / precisionFriendly fairly high (>= 0.70).

Edited by fabrizio_T

How can AMD be "as competitive" while Intel practised illlegal competition since years ?

The EU commission punished Intel recently with more than a 1.000.000.000,00 Euros for this.

They, Intel, did kick your interests, the consumers interest, to be able to sell at higher prises independent whether AMD cpus are better or not.