Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

I'm a huge fan of Op Flashpoint and I really enjoyed ArmA, and I can't wait to play ArmA 2!

My current PC is staring to fail on me, and I'm looking for a new PC. I think I've found it, but it would be nice if I could play ArmA 2 on it.

That's why I'm wondering if this rig can run ArmA 2 on High settings with a tolerable FPS (25-30ish):

- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, 125W, AM2+, 8MB Cache, 3,0Ghz (will probably overclock to 3.4Ghz)

- Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 4096MB, Kit w/two CL5 2GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX

- XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB "xXx" GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, HDCP, 775/3800MHz

- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB, 7200Rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA

Edited by OstiasMoscas

@OstiasMoscas

I think that's a good rig which will give you your desired performance/looks. Though as I wrote earlier, there are some major differences in performance depending on which version of windows you're running. Win XP is by far the best OS for this game.

@OstiasMoscas

I think that's a good rig which will give you your desired performance/looks. Though as I wrote earlier, there are some major differences in performance depending on which version of windows you're running. Win XP is by far the best OS for this game.

Ok, takk ;)

The rig doesn't come with a OS so I guess I'll probably go with XP and upgrade to Win7 later on.

Ive heard more people say that Windows 7 is better for the game than XP. I wouldnt bother buying a copy of XP if you're going to upgrade again in a few months time. I'd just use the RC for the time being.

Hey guys! Thanks for all your support in answering these questions. I now have one of my own: I've got a Geforce GT220, it's an OEM GPU and not very well known, it seems.. It states it at standard: 1G of DDR3 memory.

Here's a link to the GPU's specs: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gt_220_us.html

According to information on the net, people say this card is likely to takeover the Geforce 9500 series. Could anyone tell me if I'll have problems running A2 with this card? Also if you don't mind, check out my specs in my sig - I'm just wondering how well A2 will run with my PC. Thanks guys!

i'm wondering the same thing ;)

Ive heard more people say that Windows 7 is better for the game than XP. I wouldnt bother buying a copy of XP if you're going to upgrade again in a few months time. I'd just use the RC for the time being.

That might be true but not for this game. I've tried it and even though win 7 is far better than vista it still can't compete with XP when it comes to arma 2.

Before you go upgrading to win 7 make sure your hardware is supported. Just because the compability check is okay doesn't mean your hardware will run without issues. After all, it's still work under progress and many of the available drivers are also beta. Google is your friend. Use it to find out how your hardware runs in win 7.

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

3 GB DDR2 RAM

32-bit Vista

NVIDIA 8500gt 256

I'm going to be buying a new graphics card and more ram soon

I'm coming to you guys to tell me what i should get

I also beleive the os is a significant decider in fps. I wont bother with my specs, but my computer is high end. Yet, compared to the super beasts some people have out there i still get getter fps because of xp.

Well, not much to work on at all within that. Overall, I would say technically you can play it but its not going to be pretty. Your processor seems pretty slow, there is no cache info in there or bus speed of your mobo, you dont state what type of memory you have, you dont state what os you have, you dont state exactly what video card you have. Therefore, I cant say for sure how it will run.

There seems to be quite a bit of discussion regarding whether hyperthreading makes an impact on Arma 2, so I've decided to test the game with HT enabled and disabled in the bios on my i7 system.

In the following experiment I'll also be testing the commands '-cpucount=4' and 'cpucount=8' which supposedly forces Arma 2 to utilise 4 & 8 cores respectively, along with Hyperthreading enabled & disabled.

All benchmarks are conducted using ArmaII-Mark V1.0.

Now let's get started!

My rig:

i7 920 @ 4.00ghz

6GB DDR3 PC-12800

ATI HD 4870 512mb

Asus P6T Deluxe

Win7 64-bit

Test Settings:

Video Memory - High

Post Processing - Low

Anti-Aliasing - Off

All other settings - Normal

Resolution - 1680x 1050

RESULTS:

Test 1: Hyperthreading Enabled in BIOS -cpucount=8

1nd Run - 4440

2nd Run - 5129

Test 2: Hyperthreading Disabled in BIOS (max 4 cores)

1st Run - 4626

2nd Run - 5353

Test 3: Hyperthreading Enabled in BIOS -cpucount=4

1st Run - 4410

2nd Run - 5201

Core Utilisation

[iM]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o313/Varanty/4VS8.jpg[/img]>100kb

Conclusion & Findings:

Firstly a caveat to my results, since I'm using an ATI card I have VSync forced on and cannot disable it so my frame rate was capped at 60fps throughout significant portions of the benchmark.

Now to the results, there doesn't appear to by a big difference between HT enabled and disabled just by looking at the numbers, however I must say there was a significant increase in texture pop-in pauses and frame rate dips with hyperthreading enabled. You should be able to discern from the graphs that the hyperthreaded cores are acting quite erratically with sudden drops in thread utilisation. Even when I added the -cpucount=4 command to my hyperthreaded processor, erratic behaviour was observed.

So what does this mean to i7 users? The game definitely has issues with hyperthreading, and there is definitely room for improvement for i7 processor performance with this game. Bohemia Interactive just has to get around to optimising the game for HT.

Thanks for reading :ok:

Edited by Placebo

I also beleive the os is a significant decider in fps. I wont bother with my specs, but my computer is high end. Yet, compared to the super beasts some people have out there i still get getter fps because of xp.

I hear you. I have a semi-high end machine, and I recently switched over to W7 and got a 5fps drop. I turned down my settings and tweaked the .ini a little bit and still only got 1fps boost. :confused: I think BI optimized the game decently, but microsoft is screwing everyone over. ;)

Hi, Im just wondering with my CPU ( here are the specs) 8gb DDR2 Ram,AMD Phenom 9600 2.3GHz Quad-Core Processor and a GeForce 9400 GT 1GB GDDR2 Graphics Card, what kind of FPS am i looking at if i run medieum to high? just wondering as i am awaiting my copy of ArmA2 in the mail!

Hi there,

I'm running a Phenom II 3.2ghz with a GeForce 285. I do around 70+FPS in normal combat situations (4-6 tweleve man squads active) and as little as 25 in the campaign. For me the FPS changes very little from high to low. As other people have noted.

We've got similiar rigs, though mine is a tad newer. I think you are looking at 10-20 less in most situations. (ARMA2 has a shitty track record on newer HW)

-K

I'm a huge fan of Op Flashpoint and I really enjoyed ArmA, and I can't wait to play ArmA 2!

My current PC is staring to fail on me, and I'm looking for a new PC. I think I've found it, but it would be nice if I could play ArmA 2 on it.

That's why I'm wondering if this rig can run ArmA 2 on High settings with a tolerable FPS (25-30ish):

- AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, 125W, AM2+, 8MB Cache, 3,0Ghz (will probably overclock to 3.4Ghz)

- Corsair TWIN2X 6400C5DHX DDR2, 4096MB, Kit w/two CL5 2GB Dimm's, E.P.P and DHX

- XFX Radeon HD 4870 1GB "xXx" GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, HDCP, 775/3800MHz

- Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.B 1TB, 7200Rpm, 16MB Cache, SATA

I've got a Phenom 945, Geforce 285, and WinXP.

Assuming your ATI card is up to it (which it is!) you'll run the campaign (and massive online games) at 30 FPS or so. Smaller sensible MP or SP scenarios will run at 70 FPS.

-K (vær så god!)

Man, I don't even know how the game needs much help with us.

i7 920, GTX 275 896MB, 6GB of RAM with all settings on very high except anti aliasing and bloom, the game runs smoothly even in pitched battles.

Do you people even read his post? He has a Geforce 9400GT! :huh:

Stop comparing it your cards that are more then 4 times faster then his.

Yes. Designed to allow the 9 series capabilities without the power for gaming. It is slower than the 7800 i think? Definitely slower than the 8800. Yet, I am sure he realizes the restrictions brought from this card. However, that does not make our points about how fast different os's run or how other computers run any less relevant.

Does any game get a notable benift from Hyperthreading? I've been leaving it off.

Please can you confirm my expected FPS with my new build. (parts to go on order end of month)

i7 920 2.66. - Probably clock to around 3.2 ish

3gb ram 1066 (is this enough?)

275 GX BFG 2484mhz

Also....

How stable is the RC for gaming and with ARMA 2?

Thanks guys

Edited by Squirrel 911

(...)

Edited by Andre

How stable is the RC for gaming and with ARMA 2?

Have had no issues with ArmA 2 or any other game I've run on the machine. Have been using it exclusively since Christmas.

I recently switched over to W7 and got a 5fps drop... microsoft is screwing everyone over.

Yep, Microsoft is really screwing you over with that massive 5FPS drop... :icon_rolleyes: But seriously, considering that I have found Windows 7 to be a more stable OS in general, I think I can live with a 5FPS drop in one game in order to have a smoother running OS. Surprisingly enough, I use my computer for things other than playing ArmA.

@ch 123

If you compare W7 to vista then W7 does everything better. There are some older games which can have some issues but they have the same issues in vista. I agree with you though. Win 7 is a far better choice than vista. The game runs well on it, just not as welll as on XP. As you've been using W7 sincer christmas I assume you've never tried arma 2 with Xp on your rig. Trust me, there's a difference.

Whether W7 is a smoother OS is questionable. Compared to vista, yes but XP is quite scaled down in comparison which makes it run faster than any of those though with the downside of having none of the great features of the later OS versions. I had some dpc latency issues with W7 and I didn't manage to isolate what caused it. I had no issues though while running arma2. I assume I had some bad drivers but for what?

I'm quite sure W7 will be a great OS but it's under development and until it's officially on the shelves I recommend people to stick with XP if performance is more important than looks.

To get back a little more to the topic. The recommended spec's by BIS are quite accurate. If your rig meets those criterias then you're good to go, as long as you're running XP. Vista requires quite more for a smooth gameplay and while W7 is less demanding it still needs more than the recommended spec's.

I've got a Phenom 945, Geforce 285, and WinXP.

Assuming your ATI card is up to it (which it is!) you'll run the campaign (and massive online games) at 30 FPS or so. Smaller sensible MP or SP scenarios will run at 70 FPS.

-K (vær så god!)

Takker!

Sounds great! Now I just have to order the damn thing :p