Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

wait a minute...so this video card isn't good enough?

1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M

I think that vid card plays GTA IV with beautiful framerate on medium settings, and it can't play ArmA2?

I have a Nvidia 9800M GTS, which has higher clock speeds but only slightly better overall performance than the 130m, and I have a mixture of High/Normal at 1680x1050 with 100% fillrate. In other words, you should be able to get normal at a decent res, don't see why it shouldn't run.

Very weird problem.... The low fps at very new and recent systems... Hope they fix... it... or tweak it.

I'm running XP Home, SP3 on the following:

Quad 9550 @ 2.8 (no OC)

4 Gb ddr2 1066

Sapphire 4850 1Gb x 2

1680x1050 res

I'm managing to run everything on high and it's very playable.

Edited by kcalvano

I'm playing with an e6600 Core 2 Duo Overclocked to 3.0ghz

8600GT Overclocked

2 Gig OCZ DDR2

I play online multiplayer almost exclusively. I've had VERY sporadic results. Sometimes I can play for several hours on low with decent fps. Other times, I connect and get 15 min play time before things just lock up.

I understand that I have a low-end gaming system, which is fine. I'll sacrifice graphics for some FPS, but I feel that I can't upgrade for this game (yet). As I look back through the forums, the results between hardware options is so insanely varied that it doesn't seem that you can buy good performance for this game. You can spend a lot of money, but may be worse off than what you've got.

When it works, it works beautifully. When it fails....it's an absolutely miserable experience. As you can tell by my hardware, I'm not an avid PC gamer, but I loved Arma1 and bought Arma2 without hesitation. But, I'm going to stop playing for a while now. I may be back after some patches, but as a MP fan, I hope there is still enough interest to come back to with other tactical shooters on the horizon.

I agree. When I went to Fry's to upgrade, there were numerous options on what mobo, g card, cpu to get, even here, I was confused and in a haze. Even now, people say that I have a rocking set up and I still think it should be better. I still would like to play in full full settings, I can, but it lags a little. Specially on the demo when testing on the out skirts of Chenarus where there are no trees at all and I am toying with the editor sticking 4 to 5 squad groups on each side and man, does it get some video lag bad. But around trees its fine, even with Very High, although, when flying around on a chopper it kinda stutters along.

I'm sure you all are getting tired of the questions but I'm curious if I can run ARMA 2 and have too spotty an internet connection to give the demo a real try. So any thoughts?

Processor- 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T6400

Memory- 4GB, 800MHz DDR2

Chipset- Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

Graphics- 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

Operating System- Windows Vista Premium SP1 (64-bit)

Doesn't have to be max settings but I'm not sure I'd want it running at the lowest either.

I'm having quite an odd experience.

I had an E6600 @ 2.4 gHz, dual-core, old PCIe-1 16x board with DDR2 800 memory and a Geforce GTX280 1GB.

I just upgraded my board, processor and RAM, I am now running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 gHz, quad-core, PCIe 2.0 16x board, DDR3 1600 memory and the same GTX280.

I also have a Corsair 650W, so power should be good.

Anyway, with the E660 setup, I could get about 30-40 FPS in most places sometimes reaching near 60 (very rarely), but dragging down to the teens and 20s in cities... This was with everything on low/off (no AA, no aniso, no shadows, no post processing.)

Now, with the Phenom II setup, I'm struggling to get 30 FPS.

I'm using NHancer, I have all the options in my 186.16 Forceware drivers set for increased performance (I've been playing with 3D cards since my Diamond piggyback 4MB 3DFX Voodoo card, so I'm pretty confident I've got my drivers set for the best performance I can pull out of them.)

I just don't get it, is the AMD with a new board and my upgrades really not as powerful as my old E6600?

I've noticed, the game doesn't use much processor power while it's running... And another thing I've noticed is that while I'm walking around my HDD access light is almost constantly lit. I've tried all the suggestions I've found on this forum and others, various configs, drivers, OSes, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and DDR3 is having this type of experience.

Other specs are Vista x64 Premium, ASUS M4A79T Deluxe with the newest BIOS, 2 10KRPM WDD HDDs in RAID 0 (older SATA 1.5 models, but still usable) and OCZ DDR3 1600 7-6-6-24 RAM designed for the ASUS board.

I'm having quite an odd experience.

I had an E6600 @ 2.4 gHz, dual-core, old PCIe-1 16x board with DDR2 800 memory and a Geforce GTX280 1GB.

I just upgraded my board, processor and RAM, I am now running an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition @ 3.2 gHz, quad-core, PCIe 2.0 16x board, DDR3 1600 memory and the same GTX280.

I also have a Corsair 650W, so power should be good.

Anyway, with the E660 setup, I could get about 30-40 FPS in most places sometimes reaching near 60 (very rarely), but dragging down to the teens and 20s in cities... This was with everything on low/off (no AA, no aniso, no shadows, no post processing.)

Now, with the Phenom II setup, I'm struggling to get 30 FPS.

I'm using NHancer, I have all the options in my 186.16 Forceware drivers set for increased performance (I've been playing with 3D cards since my Diamond piggyback 4MB 3DFX Voodoo card, so I'm pretty confident I've got my drivers set for the best performance I can pull out of them.)

I just don't get it, is the AMD with a new board and my upgrades really not as powerful as my old E6600?

I've noticed, the game doesn't use much processor power while it's running... And another thing I've noticed is that while I'm walking around my HDD access light is almost constantly lit. I've tried all the suggestions I've found on this forum and others, various configs, drivers, OSes, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone else with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition and DDR3 is having this type of experience.

Other specs are Vista x64 Premium, ASUS M4A79T Deluxe with the newest BIOS, 2 10KRPM WDD HDDs in RAID 0 (older SATA 1.5 models, but still usable) and OCZ DDR3 1600 7-6-6-24 RAM designed for the ASUS board.

the game needs more optimization so its not going to run any better, wait for the next patch to see improvement

Kevin, your system outperforms mine yet I get better framerates. Set your vid memory to V high, set post process to very low. This will do 2 things. Increase your fps and takes away the ' fuzzy ' vaseline effect.

id say medium at max but get a different psu i would'nt trust that psu it could kill your system

lol really? cause i play now at medium (texture low) with my P4.. :D

Just done some testing after going back to vista 32 bit and my fps has gone up it was capped at at 65 in xp now it goes up to 76 in vista just flew over the main map in an a10 and average fps was 74 it dropped to 53 over the big cities most settings very high except objects, shadows, and landscape on normal post process off, aa normal and 100% fillrate also view distance just over 2000.Arma mark scores are still dissmal for this system but its standard clock and i think my hdd lets me down as its about 3 years old gettin a raptor soon though.Most users of i7 systems have overclocked to around the 4ghz mark. Overall im now happy with this.

This runs good for me with this setup.

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 6/15/2009, 17:46:25

Machine name: TONY-PC

Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: INTEL_

System Model: DX58SO__

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz

Memory: 6132MB RAM

Page File: 2565MB used, 9920MB available

Windows Dir: C:\Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 10

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Sound Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 3: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: NVxx

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E0&SUBSYS_064E10DE&REV_A1

Display Memory: 3690 MB

Dedicated Memory: 879 MB

Shared Memory: 2810 MB

lol really? cause i play now at medium (texture low) with my P4.. :D

i know it will be usable, you can play of course, but what im saying is that PSU is a ticking time bomb and should'nt be trusted it can die at any moment. If anything happens to it so does the whole system, poof! you can even get your computer on fire, no joke!. Thats why i extremely urge you to get a well known branded PSU for your system

i know it will be usable, you can play of course, but what im saying is that PSU is a ticking time bomb and should'nt be trusted it can die at any moment. If anything happens to it so does the whole system, poof! you can even get your computer on fire, no joke!. Thats why i extremely urge you to get a well known branded PSU for your system

wow serious? :p

I got a 420w psu without a brand and im going on about 2 years without troubles

Obviously it isn't a 100% guarantee that if you use a non-brand PSU your system is going to blow up, it's just that the odds that you will suffer problems is rather rather high. The problems it can cause can take many forms, and it's quite possible that the little instabilities and crashes it can cause are things that you might have just grown use to and not think twice about them as a consequence. Also, they don't last nearly as long. A good PSU might last you through two computers, whereas a low end one may have to be replaced on a relatively frequent basis.

secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8961934

Thinking about buying a new comp like this

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Radeon 4870 HD 1GB

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready Active PFC Power Supply

Any thoughts on what settings I could get on ArmA 2? Thanks in advance for any feedback

i got some extra money saved up to upgrade because I've been getting bad performance in Arma II and i was wondering which one i should upgrade, my cpu or gpu?

My current cpu is: Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5ghz

My current gpu is: Nvidia 9800 gt

i got some extra money saved up to upgrade because I've been getting bad performance in Arma II and i was wondering which one i should upgrade, my cpu or gpu?

My current cpu is: Intel Quad Core Q9300 2.5ghz

My current gpu is: Nvidia 9800 gt

Well i would spend the money on a better GPU considering there are better cards out there these days. But seriously you should be able to run arma2 even though i dont know the rest of your specs im tipping its more the game causing you problems than it is your hardware.

There are people with premium systems still having problems with this game so i would just wait it out and hopefully some more patches will sought out the performance issues.

holy crap uber, good fps scores. I have a 920 stock, OCin is a mystery to me. I wouldnt dare. If I was to pay someone to do it, would I get reasonable fps increase with a mild OC to 3.2 praps ?

Cpu......i7...

why when he already has a quad? :confused: He might as well just get a whole new system because he'll also need a new mobo and RAM

I'm on a laptop with Intel centrino 2 dual-core processor P8600 at 2.4 GHz, 6 gigs of ram, 2.5 gigs of VRAM and a geforce 9600M GT.

How well should I be able to run this game? Looking at the recommended CPU, the only thing I lack is a quad core, and my ghz is a little low.

On vista by the way.

Edited by osmun

Hmm, you've got a good system, judging by your CPU and GPU. However, if you're going to upgrade your CPU, you also have to replace your motherboard and RAM, just like No Use For A Name said. A Q9300 should be enough for Arma II!

If you're serious about upgrading, I'd go for the GPU. You didn't mention how much RAM you have, though...

Overclock your cpu and buy a newer card gtx 260+ or ati 4870+ and you'll be rockin.